Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think two things can be true at once, Nuno so far clearly was a far far better Wolves manager in totality thus far (although impossible not to be given their timeframes) than Bruno because of his achievements. Bruno though has made some (inconsistent thus far) changes to the playing style that have a higher ceiling and has been promising. Nuno also really does seem to have lost his mojo for whatever reason. I would have been happy keeping him but understanding the move to get rid.

Should be pointed out Nuno had quite the net spend for us, Bruno thus far hasn't.
Agree 100 percent on all points!

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your last sentence is key JW
Bruno has so far been given virtually zero spend,Nuno in his first few seasons had literally hundreds of millions to build his squad
You cant make comparisons yet,probably not even this season given the financial chasm
Has Bruno been given 'virtually zero spend'? We have Trincao and Hwang on loan, both of which it is reasonable to assume we will make their loans permanent for around £25 million??? RAN also came in on Bruno's watch for £10m. Sa for £8m, Mosquera? Bolla?
I guess we could all play games with stats, but 'virtually zero spend'?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has Bruno been given 'virtually zero spend'? We have Trincao and Hwang on loan, both of which it is reasonable to assume we will make their loans permanent for around £25 million??? RAN also came in on Bruno's watch for £10m. Sa for £8m, Mosquera? Bolla?
Tbf RAN was already here,loans are only spend when they are made permanent,Sa was a direct replacement for Rui who we already knew was going ,so none of the above were really Bruno players,maybe Trincao and Hwang are possible exceptions
Ok maybe zero spend is a stretch,but the principle remains true in the main

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf RAN was already here,loans are only spend when they are made permanent,Sa was a direct replacement for Rui who we already knew was going ,so none of the above were really Bruno players,maybe Trincao and Hwang are possible exceptions
Ok maybe zero spend is a stretch,but the principle remains true in the main
In fact didn't we make money on the Sa/Rui exchange? So that offsets some of the expenditure. Trincao and Hwang are loans. RAN was available to Nuno.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to read some of the comments about his pre match interviews and the ‘cant get in the national team’ comments…

If it was to motivate, then is certainly worked on Neves who was a man possessed. Coady throwing himself around at times too… maybe it just about worked?

Tactically it’s always easy to say he got it right when we win, and from the start he did and Rafa’s formation was beautifully exploited… when they changed we perhaps needed to quicker as the only minor criticism, and why Adama didn’t get on puzzled me… but he wins the game so can’t argue and that opening half and hour so was the best example yet of Brunoball in full flow

I’ll have some more of that please Bruno!

On your puzzlement of adama not getting on,maybe it's one of these.

1 @ They want to keep him,so not playing he's not in the shop window.

2 @ He'd probably get more game time if he signed his improved contract.

3 @ He's definitely on the move in jan,and they don't want him injured.

4 @ OR. Bruno thinks her got better players on the bench.

add as many more as ya want. :tonguewink:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Definitely some games with stats going on there! If you're going to include loan to buys, then Brunos still been given less than Nuno was - in the Championship. (Neves, Jota, Boly, Bonatini, Douglas..probably forgotten others). The point is not the "virtually zero spend", but that Bruno has so far spent little compared to what Nuno was allowed to spend in his first 2 seasons, possibly the 3rd, too.

It's well known that the unit of transfer currency is the "Fabio" and so far, Bruno hasn't spent 1 Fabio . :) Even in the "quiet" 4th season, Nuno spent a literal Fabio.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely some games with stats going on there! If you're going to include loan to buys, then Brunos still been given less than Nuno was - in the Championship. (Neves, Jota, Boly, Bonatini, Douglas..probably forgotten others). The point is not the "virtually zero spend", but that Bruno has so far spent little compared to what Nuno was allowed to spend in his first 2 seasons, possibly the 3rd, too.

It's well known that the unit of transfer currency is the "Fabio" and so far, Bruno hasn't spent 1 Fabio . :) Even in the "quiet" 4th season, Nuno spent a literal Fabio.
Yes but Nuno had a major rebuild we was stuck in the championship and needed practically a new squad.

Bruno has been given a squad of players that has finished 7th twice and 13th. more fine tuning than rebuild.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but Nuno had a major rebuild we was stuck in the championship and needed practically a new squad.

Bruno has been given a squad of players that has finished 7th twice and 13th. more fine tuning than rebuild.

Bruno hasn't got 2 of the top 3 scorers of the squad that finished 7th twice (and another absolutely key player - Jonny, is also missing) . I think it's stretching it to say it's that same squad - and the same applies for last season, hence the significant drop in position. But yes, fine tuning and so far it's gone very well! With Hwang, at last we seem to have the replacement for Jota.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

is that a crypto currency?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your last sentence is key JW
Bruno has so far been given virtually zero spend,Nuno in his first few seasons had literally hundreds of millions to build his squad
You cant make comparisons yet,probably not even this season given the financial chasm
Net spend will never be a good metric to judge them by because of the different situations when they took over. When Nuno came in we really didn't have the players to sell to fund the buying that was required but we did have the cash, now we do have the players to sell to raise the money (players mostly bought by Nuno) but maybe not the cash

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Net spend will never be a good metric to judge them by because of the different situations when they took over. When Nuno came in we really didn't have the players to sell to fund the buying that was required but we did have the cash, now we do have the players to sell to raise the money (players mostly bought by Nuno) but maybe not the cash
Problem is selling to buy is far harder all round than purely a cash splurge
As i said, personally i wont compare the 2 for a long time yet,totally different circumstances
In fact is there ever a good time to compare managers? i doubt it really

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problem is selling to buy is far harder all round than purely a cash splurge
As i said, personally i wont compare the 2 for a long time yet,totally different circumstances
In fact is there ever a good time to compare managers? i doubt it really
It is harder but really it all comes down to how you spend it. We know from the 90s that all out cash splurges don't necessarily mean success and now a certain balance has to be attained anyway because of FFP. Think we spent (off the top of my head) in the region of £300m under Nuno (about £200m net), and you'd have to say that the majority of it was well spent and we'll see a return above our investment on all levels. What we do under Lage will be far more about where the money goes than where it comes from

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Adama unbalances the team. We all knew it but Bruno saw it and acted. Good for him.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We can't keep the ball with adama in the team... Its glaringly obvious..... Take the first four games out the equation all the wins have come without adama in the team...... He comes back in against Leeds and then ball retention is back to being terrible........ We are generally a lot better Team without him.....for me it's sell him and I would take 30m and use it towards renato sanches.....

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not saying he doesn't contribute as such, he does..... But there is no way we play like that against Everton in the first half with traore playing.... It was all about ball retention....... I don't think it matters anyway as he clearly won't sign a new contract so its only a matter of time when he leaves.... Probably January..........

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Our net spend this year was roughly zero, i don't know why you getting upset with that being pointed out. We sold players to buy, Nuno didn't need to do that for his first 2 years

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our net spend this year was roughly zero, i don't know why you getting upset with that being pointed out. We sold players to buy, Nuno didn't need to do that for his first 2 years
Upset :D. My point wasn't about 'net spend' but the poster said the spend was 'virtually zero'. Not sure why you're deliberately missing the point or perhaps English isn't your first language. If that's the case, I apologise. :)

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Upset :D. My point wasn't about 'net spend' but the poster said the spend was 'virtually zero'. Not sure why you're deliberately missing the point or perhaps English isn't your first language. If that's the case, I apologise. :)
What a pedantic bore, was clear what the poster meant when comparing to Nuno

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like we are getting what we deserve

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but like in the Leeds game that was poor by Lage today. Dreadful safety first tactics, virtually no press and played into Palaces hands in the end. The goals were inevitable. Why set up so negatively today? There was no need at all.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is coming across as a bit of a bottle job atm i’m afraid. We were magnificent in the first 3 games but to no avail points wise and he seems have gone into his shell. He seems scared to express himself out of fear for his job maybe?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is coming across as a bit of a bottle job atm i’m afraid. We were magnificent in the first 3 games but to no avail points wise and he seems have gone into his shell. He seems scared to express himself out of fear for his job maybe?
Yep, not changed things how I thought he would. Palace were everything we were supposed to be - energetic, creative and high pressing. In contrast, we were slow and pedestrian. More of the same unfortunately.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His use of subs is absolutely dire, very concerning. Taking Semedo off for Adama was laughable when we were a goal down and chasing the game, both needed to be on the pitch.
Yeah I felt the change should have been a centre half off and go four at the back with Podence, Traore and another up with Jimenez. Keeping the shape the same and sticking Traore on as a straight swap for Semedo never had much chance of giving us what we needed

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
The expectations on here are top class reading at times. Did everyone think there was going to be an immediate change of style were we absolutely batter everyone we face and they'd just roll over and take it? The guy hasn't even been able to make all of the signings he wanted. I'm sure as he adds to the side we will transition further and become stronger and more dynamic as a team. Everyone has an off day as a manager.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The expectations on here are top class reading at times. Did everyone think there was going to be an immediate change of style were we absolutely batter everyone we face and they'd just roll over and take it? The guy hasn't even been able to make all of the signings he wanted. I'm sure as he adds to the side we will transition further and become stronger and more dynamic as a team. Everyone has an off day as a manager.
There was an immediate change in the first 3 games and that’s the problem. We haven’t seen anything like that remotely since except the first half against Everton.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can't keep the ball with adama in the team... Its glaringly obvious..... Take the first four games out the equation all the wins have come without adama in the team...... He comes back in against Leeds and then ball retention is back to being terrible........ We are generally a lot better Team without him.....for me it's sell him and I would take 30m and use it towards renato sanches.....
We did so well retaining the ball without Adama today... Him being brought on at wingback when we were chasing the game is Dean Saunders level tactics....

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
There was an immediate change in the first 3 games and that’s the problem. We haven’t seen anything like that remotely since except the first half against Everton.
We weren't winning games and needed to get points on the board though. It was obvious we didn't have the correct players to play that way which is why we were unable to score. Until we have a better midfield and a faster centre back I don't think we will see that style again unfortunately.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as negative/pragmatic was as Nuno last season IMHO.

You have to wonder why he wasn't backed in the summer transfer window. January will likely be the tell when we see what we get for the money raised by selling Adama.

My guess is he wont be Wolves manager for the 2022-23 season.

Back
Top Bottom