Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

PTW

Reaction score
With the same number of games in the League as last season Wolves had 13 points and 8 goals scored and 9 conceded, this season 8 scored and 8 conceded, not making judgements, but it's a bit strange to start demanding he must be sacked for whatever reason. First the complaints were the team played well but 0 points, now it's the complaining the team doesn't play well but 12 points in 8, looks reasonable, and must be said if the team finishes in the first half of the table it's more or less related with the quality of the squad. Only an opinion amongst many here of course.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I genuinely can’t decide if today was more luck than judgment.

One thing I am certain of though is we look so much better when we genuinely go out to try and attack teams.

Be true to yourself and your philosophy Bruno. Attack, attack, attack!

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if you cant get a good manager get a lucky one lol
I think the fortune with that deflected winner and the slapstick own goal from Watford have pretty much equalised whatever bad luck we had in the opening three games now.

Another week where Lage still hasn't got the team to play well over the 90, but he's keeping the points tally moving forward which is the main thing. It's really hard to make a judgment on him to date as we've won games without much finesse and lost games where we've looked at our most impressive.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I genuinely can’t decide if today was more luck than judgment.

One thing I am certain of though is we look so much better when we genuinely go out to try and attack teams.

Be true to yourself and your philosophy Bruno. Attack, attack, attack!
Yes indeed, we have the same players we had in those three games, why not go for it!?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thing is if we got the points in the first few games we would be laughing right now, unilke like nuno he doesn't shy away from a change or his gameplay and attack. hats of to him we deserved the luck against villa, karma comes around and after the first few games we were due one.

He got the team selection wrong but if Raul am back 4 days ago he would have played with hwang and traore

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think his team selection for this one was wrong and unduly negative. I think he could have made changes earlier. But I think there was an element of his hand being forced with regards to Raul not being able to train with us, and he will have learnt a lot from this game.
It's been a while since we scored 3.

PTW

Reaction score
I think the fortune with that deflected winner and the slapstick own goal from Watford have pretty much equalised whatever bad luck we had in the opening three games now.

Another week where Lage still hasn't got the team to play well over the 90, but he's keeping the points tally moving forward which is the main thing. It's really hard to make a judgment on him to date as we've won games without much finesse and lost games where we've looked at our most impressive.
Problem here is when he arrived they started the spinning it would be only attack, attack and attack. First of all he directly never said something like that, second, managers depend on results, if ultimately the team wasn't getting points with some bad luck, now it's taking points sometimes when doesn't deserve, he never said he would be the next Guardiola or Klopp in town, perhaps if people started to realize he has to adapt to the squad he has and to the League where he is maybe would be better to have reasonable expectations. By some, not all fans of course.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thing is if we got the points in the first few games we would be laughing right now, u like nuno he doesn't shy away from a change or his gameplay and attack. hats of to him we deserved the luck against villa, karma comes around and after the first few games we were due one
That's the thing. We should have easily beaten united. If we did that now we would be top four.
Fine margins and all, but we're doing more than okay now.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many of the critics said it's a results business after 3 games?

Well that's 12 pts out of 15

Now it's seemingly just pure luck
Absolutely!

I think it's a results business and today was 95 percent luck.

Don't care. He made the luck. We are on our best ever premier league run (we've never won four on the bounce).

I blamed him when we lost three on the bounce. He gets my plaudits tonight

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Right I’ve had it with Lage.

Lageball is a total myth. He’s showing nothing inventive or new at all.

Pathetic. I’d rather have Kenny Jacket.

We need a proper manager and we need to back him.
How embarrassing looks like we might qualify for Europe!!

Wandering_Wolf93

Reaction score
For me the shape at the end and ironically how villa started before switching it when they went 2 0 up is how we need to be playing.

5 2 1 2, with jimenez clearly not really being an option today he went with traore in the 2, problem with this is you don't get much work defensively out of him so can understand that 3rd midfielder being a more workmanlike dendoncker than podence.

The prospect of a jimenez and hwang partnership with a podence, trincao or traore playing a free role off of them is quite exciting in an attacking sense for me.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

For me the shape at the end and ironically how villa started before switching it when they went 2 0 up is how we need to be playing.

5 2 1 2, with jimenez clearly not really being an option today he went with traore in the 2, problem with this is you don't get much work defensively out of him so can understand that 3rd midfielder being a more workmanlike dendoncker than podence.

The prospect of a jimenez and hwang partnership with a podence, trincao or traore playing a free role off of them is quite exciting in an attacking sense for me.
Traore looked good in free role, passed the ball nicely as well mostly

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Horrendous decisions today

The line up

Substitutions

Tactics

Genuinely don’t know what he thinks or watches .

Cannot believe we won

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The line up

Substitutions

Tactics

Cannot believe we won
Don’t agree with any of those statements except the last one.

We matched up Villa and for most of the first half, matched them in performance.

Subs felt a bit late again, but bringing Podence on was a master stroke. Silva provided more aggression, and taking Marcel off and moving Adama to LWB worked very well.

His tactics are different to Nuno’s. He may set a similar out a similar looking team and formation, but the thinking is clearly different. It’s unpredictable and how often did we criticise Nuno for being too predictable on the days the game plan didn’t work?

Sorry, but Lage deserves credit today, as do every one of those players on the pitch when the final whistle was blown.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the Bruno master plan is now clear. When we play well, we lose. When we play badly, we win. And the worse we play, the more we win.
So from now on, it's baffling team selections, poor performances, non-existant formations, players falling over the ball, far-too-late substitutions, minimal movement, hospital passes, laughable finishing (shout out to Fabio's contribution today!) yet winning all the way up to the Champions League places.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ill judge him more on his style of play when he actually gets his own players, at the moment hes trying to get results with an OAP playing centre mid and 2 championship level centre mids playing at the back, as well as a bombscare of a LB

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

So the Bruno master plan is now clear. When we play well, we lose. When we play badly, we win. And the worse we play, the more we win.
So from now on, it's baffling team selections, poor performances, non-existant formations, players falling over the ball, far-too-late substitutions, minimal movement, hospital passes, laughable finishing (shout out to Fabio's contribution today!) yet winning all the way up to the Champions League places.
Don't really see what Fabio did wrong today other than out muscle a defender and it be incorrectly ruled a foul

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought once again that Lage got this all wrong. So many players are undroppable, not seeing any improvements in an attacking sense, poor tactics and subs... yet somehow we got the points today!

I think he's lucky tbh. The trend in performances is one direction even tho points have been picked up. Today we had players having a go at each other numerous times and balls being played to no one. That's down to coaching.

But, he's getting points and he has tightened up the defence generally.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The line up

Substitutions

Tactics

Cannot believe we won
The substitutions were bang on. I know people(me included) wanted them earlier but they ended up having the necessary effect. Maybe that was due to leaving them late.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's making the most of the squad he has. Sa a great addition and Trincao/Hwang promising but once he gets a CB/CM we can see his true philosophy played out more.

My only issue with him is when will he give Ait-Nouri a chance. Marcal started out well but isn't great going forward which you need as a wingback and recently doesn't seem much more solid defensively.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets be honest. He got it totally wrong today until he made the subs. If you start a game with such a negative line up then what do you expect. Please never play the midfield three you started with together in a 3 again Bruno and please can you actually start playing RAN instead of a wing back who creates zilch and cant shoot.

Can we press teams from the start please Bruno. Got away with it today and I'm delighted but simply cant get it so wrong for such long periods of a game and get away with it again.

PTW

Reaction score
The substitutions were bang on. I know people(me included) wanted them earlier but they ended up having the necessary effect. Maybe that was due to leaving them late.
The substitutions were the best decision he took today. No matter what he does there's a minority here who will always say he is awfull. Even if the number of points, goals scored and conceded are almost the same at the same stage as last season. And it wasn't helpfull before the start of the season to say it would be a super offensive coach, he never said it directly, and rightly or wrongly he is adapting to the squad he has, regardless of opinion this is a result business, but I agree on Marçal.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The subs were late but they were spot on, both Podence coming on & switching to 4-4-2 changed the game completely.

I can understand why he went 3-5-2 to try and match Villa up because we got well & truly turned over by Brentford who played the same system against us, even if we did look poor first 60-70 mins. My main issue is that RAN isn't getting a chance despite Marcal being bang average and offering absolutely nothing every week he plays imo.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still unconvinced. I am stuck between a) he doesnt know what he is doing and b) he wasn't backed properly in the window.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still unconvinced. I am stuck between a) he doesnt know what he is doing and b) he wasn't backed properly in the window.
Ditto on the unconvinced, ( it’s way to early ) but I am sliding a tad to the negative.
We played with a lot of sloppy, sloppy moves today. Basic stuff.

Last edited:

PTW

Reaction score
The subs were late but they were spot on, both Podence coming on & switching to 4-4-2 changed the game completely.

I can understand why he went 3-5-2 to try and match Villa up because we got well & truly turned over by Brentford who played the same system against us, even if we did look poor first 60-70 mins. My main issue is that RAN isn't getting a chance despite Marcal being bang average and offering absolutely nothing every week he plays imo.
Yeah, agree on Marçal. I like the 3x5x2 but looking at the players probably the best combination would be Hwang and Jimenez, or one of those two with Podence, don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised he would switch between the 2 systems implemented. Keeping in mind he never used the 3 at the back system before, probably because it is the most suited to the type of players Wolves has.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh, I was worried that he would be a disaster. Clearly he isn't and I was way wrong on that, but it is difficult to really judge until he is backed properly and can set his team up how he really wants. Surely we/he will only get better?

Given Jeff's 'efforts' in the Summer, I'd have ripped your arm off for where we are now, approaching the quarter of a season point.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right I’ve had it with Lage.

Lageball is a total myth. He’s showing nothing inventive or new at all.

Pathetic. I’d rather have Kenny Jacket.

We need a proper manager and we need to back him.
Can you post that every time we’re 2-0 down with 10-15 mins left. I really enjoyed the last 15 mins! ;)

Back
Top Bottom