Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have to say with how he speaks, and the wording of his statement about not signing players he doesnt rate, he would have to be across realistic signings to be able to make that “I don’t ever want to sign players that he wants and I don’t want” comment, so i think its fairly likely he would say no to a player they clash over. The scouting team imo find the players, scout them then pass the info on to Sellars and Lage. Then i guess the committee gets involved

Liverpool quite famously introduced a transfer committee a few years ago, with no-one being able to sign people on their own. People moaned about it if I recall correctly, but they've done OK since.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone forgets the second part of that quote where Sellars said we’d never sign a player that the manager doesn’t want even if he, Sellars, thought he was a good purchase.. The buy has to be right for everyone not just the manager or the Technical Director. Gone are the days where the manager was in sole charge of first team purchases and simply asked the board to pay.

Yep, thats a fair comment. I still dont like or agree with how he comes out with it. His part of the statement “It’s important that we all try and get to the same decision. I don’t want to sign players that he doesn’t want and I don’t ever want to sign players that he wants and I don’t want " is way more assertive about the roles of the two imo. It clearly to me shows Sellars thinks his opinion carries more weight. Could be wrong, but its how it reads to me when he adds in the " ever " part.

I dont think the manager should have total control, but he should absolutley be able to sign a some players he thinks is the right one regardless of what Sellars thinks.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool quite famously introduced a transfer committee a few years ago, with no-one being able to sign people on their own. People moaned about it if I recall correctly, but they've done OK since.

So do you think Klopp would have had to put up with what we are being told Lage has to? Players like Firmino for example are clearly influenced by Klopp and how he wants things on the field.

And even if he did have to tow the line ( which i doubt very much anyway ) their system is clearly better than ours because while we are all agreeing in our comittee that Hwang is a good signing, they are all agreeing that Salah is a good signing.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So do you think Klopp would have had to put up with what we are being told Lage has to? Players like Firmino for example are clearly influenced by Klopp and how he wants things on the field.

And even if he did have to tow the line ( which i doubt very much anyway ) their system is clearly better than ours because while we are all agreeing in our comittee that Hwang is a good signing, they are all agreeing that Salah is a good signing.

Just because the manager doesn't have sole power to sign people doesn't mean he can't have an influence.

And if you're going to compare one of our worse transfers against one of their best, then you're always going to make Wolves look crap. You could just as easily say we signed Sa for €8m while they signed Konate for £36m - but that would be equally pointless cherrypicking.

The point is that across the whole league, very few managers can sign players the rest of the club doesn't rate, so there's no reason for people to be getting irate about Wolves working in that way too. It's just modern football, and it helps avoid situations like at Utd where each manager signs a random selection of players to try to give him enough of a short term boost to keep his job for the season, but that don't fit into the squad as a whole.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dan Ashworth didn't join Newcastle till February, he was still at Brighton in the January window.

Edit: he still appears to be on gardening leave as Newcastle won't pay what brighton want to release him from his contract.

Does that mean I actually have to give credit to the PE teacher now ?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just because the manager doesn't have sole power to sign people doesn't mean he can't have an influence.

And if you're going to compare one of our worse transfers against one of their best, then you're always going to make Wolves look crap. You could just as easily say we signed Sa for €8m while they signed Konate for £36m - but that would be equally pointless cherrypicking.

The point is that across the whole league, very few managers can sign players the rest of the club doesn't rate, so there's no reason for people to be getting irate about Wolves working in that way too. It's just modern football, and it helps avoid situations like at Utd where each manager signs a random selection of players to try to give him enough of a short term boost to keep his job for the season, but that don't fit into the squad as a whole.

Lage clearly has no influence at all though. Thats the point. If Klopp really wants a player, he will get him regardless of the committee because they trust the man they put in charge of the team. If Lage wants a player Sellars and his cronies dont want he will never get it. Its a flawed system. This " its modern football " line isnt accurate because plenty of clubs back the manager/head coach. They might not sign everyone, but they generally back him with what he feels he needs to succeed. Lage asked for players, he got nothing of any real substance

What you saying though only has merit when it works and ours isnt working. If this ridiculous system we have has been here since last season when we promoted Sellars, we have signed Semedo, Silva, Hoever, Marcal, Toti, Vitinha, RAN,Jose, Mosquera, Sa, Hwang, Trincao, and Chiquinho. Out of those 13 players around the first team, you could only class 3 as a real success with one being a solid player. Thats simply not a good enough strike rate. The rest of our dealings are players who just are either promising or ones who will never make the grade. Now tell me how can we sign all up 22 players in the last 2 seasons and only really have 3 that have improved the team. Our comittee isnt working. We are still in the same position we have always been in since Fosun took over. Either Mendes does us a favour, or we get left floundering.

I'm not saying all transfer comittee models are no good either, i'm saying ours is no good.

Last edited:

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lage clearly has no influence at all though. Thats the point. If Klopp really wants a player, he will get him regardless of the committee because they trust the man they put in charge of the team. If Lage wants a player Sellars and his cronies dont want he will never get it. Its a flawed system. This " its modern football " line isnt accurate because plenty of clubs back the manager/head coach. They might not sign everyone, but they generally back him with what he feels he needs to succeed. Lage asked for players, he got nothing of any real substance

What you saying though only has merit when it works and ours isnt working. If this ridiculous system we have has been here since last season when we promoted Sellars, we have signed Semedo, Silva, Hoever, Marcal, Toti, Vitinha, RAN,Jose, Mosquera, Sa, Hwang, Trincao, and Chiquinho. Out of those 13 players around the first team, you could only class 3 as a real success with one being a solid player. Thats simply not a good enough strike rate. The rest of our dealings are players who just are either promising or ones who will never make the grade. Now tell me how can we sign all up 22 players in the last 2 seasons and only really have 3 that have improved the team. Our comittee isnt working. We are still in the same position we have always been in since Fosun took over. Either Mendes does us a favour, or we get left floundering.

I'm not saying all transfer comittee models are no good either, i'm saying ours is no good.

Isn’t any transfer a risk? Whether it goes good or bad?. Yet then the opposite scenario is run in peoples heads in fantasy land and used to bash the club.

Have you thought about coaching as well, developing these players making them better, it’s not all on the evil transfer committee.

Frankly we don’t know what the clubs budgets are, the players scouted, if they want to come to us etc

22 players we have signed? Are you including for the under 23’s as that’s a buy develop sell model

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you can't see that he was asking for players for 2 transfer windows and got nothing I think you might need to go to specsavers. It's a pretty open and shut case really.

I think you're confusing the issue of the amount of transfer funds available with the transfer committee that decides on who to try to buy.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn’t any transfer a risk? Whether it goes good or bad?. Yet then the opposite scenario is run in peoples heads in fantasy land and used to bash the club.

Have you thought about coaching as well, developing these players making them better, it’s not all on the evil transfer committee.

Frankly we don’t know what the clubs budgets are, the players scouted, if they want to come to us etc

22 players we have signed? Are you including for the under 23’s as that’s a buy develop sell model

That's why I separated them into the 13 that were in and around the first team. I know it's a sell to buy model, but I'd be willing to bet most of these players wr have bought in for the u23s make us no money.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you can't see that he was asking for players for 2 transfer windows and got nothing I think you might need to go to specsavers. It's a pretty open and shut case really.
He’s already put Shi and Sellars on the spot by announcing they will be planning new players

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Yes he was asking for players but would they want to come, could we afford them, where would they fit, do their families want to move?. Are they better than what’s available

Why would the club not sign anyone if they didn’t think it would work out? Besides I have no confidence in bruno to utilise they players anyhow, Hwang must have very compromising pictures of him

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you're confusing the issue of the amount of transfer funds available with the transfer committee that decides on who to try to buy.
I'm not confused at all. You just seem intent of defending a system that's failed us for 2 seasons now.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's why I separated them into the 13 that were in and around the first team. I know it's a sell to buy model, but I'd be willing to bet most of these players wr have bought in for the u23s make us no money.

One thing you can’t deny the transfer committee they make good money on sales

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing you can’t deny the transfer committee they make good money on sales

Do they? I think you will find it's more down to Mendes facilitating moves. Who have we sold for big money that Mendes isn't involved with.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not confused at all. You just seem intent of defending a system that's failed us for 2 seasons now.

Given the total transfer spending, what would you consider acceptable?

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Do they? I think you will find it's more down to Mendes facilitating moves. Who have we sold for big money that Mendes isn't involved with.

You do know agents facilitate all moves, mendes doesn’t say ooo pay wolves this much, he is told what the club wants and then brokers the deal and gets his cut. That’s how agents work

Since we have a good relationship with mendes surely he is our go to when trying to get deals done as the middle man.

Fergie did it for ages

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the total transfer spending, what would you consider acceptable?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but we have spent around 100 million in the last 2 windows. Are you asking me if you think we could have spent that money better?

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but we have spent around 100 million in the last 2 windows. Are you asking me if you think we could have spent that money better?

I was talking about this season, as you keep saying Lage has no input - which would clearly have been the case before he was here.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do know agents facilitate all moves, mendes doesn’t say ooo pay wolves this much, he is told what the club wants and then brokers the deal and gets his cut. That’s how agents work

Obviously, but it's still on Mendes that we got good money for our players because they wouldn't be here in the first place without him. As I've said before, take away Mendes, we are back in the championship. I've been saying it even before our current model. Our recruitment is poor and has been poor for decades outside of Jorge.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was talking about this season, as you keep saying Lage has no input - which would clearly have been the case before he was here.

You show me how he does. I've clearly said what i feel about it. And I also never said he has no input. I said he has no influence. It's a fact he hasn't got anywhere near what he wanted. They haven't listened to him and he's been let down in a lot of ways.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You show me how he does. I've clearly said what i feel about it. And I also never said he has no input. I said he has no influence. It's a fact he hasn't got anywhere near what he wanted. They haven't listened to him and he's been let down in a lot of ways.

The issue was the £4m net spend.

Input but no influence? So they just waste everyone's time by talking to him and then sign who they want, that's your theory?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue was the £4m net spend.

Input but no influence? So they just waste everyone's time by talking to him and then sign who they want, that's your theory?
Nobody was even talking about net spends. He asked for players, he didn't get them. Twice. If they listened to his input, he would have got players. And for the record, I think he speaks to them, but I don't think they take on board much of what he says when it comes to players or he would have been getting better than Hwang for a start. And if Hwang is what he wants, then he probably needs sacking anyway.

All I've been saying anyway is The Sellars led transfer committee you seem to be a huge fan of has failed 2 seasons in a row. You just jump all over the place trying to defend them. You change my mind by proving to me how Lage has had any influence over our signings this season.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I've been saying anyway is The Sellars led transfer committee you seem to be a huge fan of has failed 2 seasons in a row. You just jump all over the place trying to defend them. You change my mind by proving to me how Lage has had any influence over our signings this season.

How about a direct quote saying Lage had an influence on a transfer, would that change your mind?

Or if you're honest, could I produce a signed statement from Sellars saying Lage tells him exactly who to sign, and it still wouldn't change your mind?

“Our new head coach Bruno has been involved in the process, has looked at the player, and together we feel Yerson has the perfect profile to come in and improve the depth of the squad.”

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about a direct quote saying Lage had an influence on a transfer, would that change your mind?

Or if you're honest, could I produce a signed statement from Sellars saying Lage tells him exactly who to sign, and it still wouldn't change your mind?

Nope, wouldnt change my mind at all. This is a group of individuals who at the end of last season asked us to trust them. How did that work out? Why would anyone believe them?

You seem to have also ignored Brunos very public requests for players, but that doesnt suit your argument so i'm not surprised you keep glossing over that one. The influence in his signing so far you have "proved " is basically an u23 player. You could have used Trincao as a better example as i believe he's probably the only player Bruno had a decent say in signing. I already said he talks to them, i've said he is involved, but at the same time, the proof is in the pudding. Lage asked for 3 or 4 top players in the summer, and again in January. He's also said in public the club know the profile of the players he wants. I doubt those players are a bunch of unproven kids. He's getting nothing.

When we start signing first team players ( and not just ones to replace the likes of the outgoing Neves for example ) who are actually first team ready and will improve the team, i'll probably change my mind. Until then, i'll have little faith in this committee that has spent around 100 million on players in the last two seasons with only 3 players who have been successful.

I'll leave you there with it because this is just a waste of time. You think they are superb operators, i dont. End of discussion on my end with you.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope, wouldnt change my mind at all. This is a group of individuals who at the end of last season asked us to trust them. How did that work out? Why would anyone believe them?

You seem to have also ignored Brunos very public requests for players, but that doesnt suit your argument so i'm not surprised you keep glossing over that one. The influence in his signing so far you have "proved " is basically an u23 player. You could have used Trincao as a better example as i believe he's probably the only player Bruno had a decent say in signing. I already said he talks to them, i've said he is involved, but at the same time, the proof is in the pudding. Lage asked for 3 or 4 top players in the summer, and again in January. He's also said in public the club know the profile of the players he wants. I doubt those players are a bunch of unproven kids. He's getting nothing.

When we start signing first team players ( and not just ones to replace the likes of the outgoing Neves for example ) who are actually first team ready and will improve the team, i'll probably change my mind. Until then, i'll have little faith in this committee that has spent around 100 million on players in the last two seasons with only 3 players who have been successful.

I'll leave you there with it because this is just a waste of time. You think they are superb operators, i dont. End of discussion on my end with you.
Do you think Lage's pronouncements mean he knows funds are available ?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And that was financed by the sale of Rui.

Its a bit odd when you look we had basically got a deal in place for Trincao, we would have had the money there as well for Botman and Sanches so you think we have funds, as Jeff pretty much said but i'm not sure he is believable.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought the point of this committee / DoF model was supposed to be that the Manger/Coach identified deficiencies in the team squad and the attributes that he would like prospective incoming players to have.

The recruitment dept then identify suitable candidates and the process starts from there.

To believe that Bruno identified Hwang, and only Hwang is nonsense.

He's been badly let down and our recruitment 'strategy' is appalling.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got a feeling he's staying. Given how quickly ruddy's been given the elbow, they seem prepared to act quickly with the one's they want gone.

Back
Top Bottom