Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Yes….it was speculation and was written that way deliberately and without speculation the Mix would probably dry up. ( there I go again…..speculating).

However, let me ask you this….
are you 100% confident with Bruno for next season, if he gets 3 new players?
On the latter i don't know. He's a work in progress like the team is. I'd like to think he will do well with his own players and style, but i can't say for certain until they kick off a pre season and show us with actions not words.
What the team, club and players need is for the supporters to do exactly what it says on the tin. Support!
The pack mentality includes the fans also..

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think coaching is something he's undoubtedly good at. Lots of players have improved these season.

In game.management....less sure
Who?

We have replied on Nunos defensive structure all season to get points and the further away from Nuno coaching them the worse we are getting.

It's like Mark Hughes at Stoke.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the latter i don't know. He's a work in progress like the team is. I'd like to think he will do well with his own players and style, but i can't say for certain until they kick off a pre season and show us with actions not words.
What the team, club and players need is for the supporters to do exactly what it says on the tin. Support!
Ok, fine….you’ve got some doubts too, like many of us.
But many Wolves fans won‘t always agree with you. Many of them walked out at the Brighton game and Bruno said fans were correct to boo the players.
Seems Bruno and thousands of fans were negative but you dislike my concerns about next season? …..and they were only concerns, btw.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
injuries.
Jimenez not returning the same player at least nuno had a fit and firing Jimenez for a while
semedo injury
boly missing half of the season
podence injury
neto only just from injury and still not at his best. Nuno had him for most of last season
Jonny missing most of the season
kilman injury
only having 3 senior midfielders all three have missed games through injury or illness
traore missing since January.

covid has impacted as well this season especially with covid test results disrupting training.
Injuries?! This season has been run of the mill for injuries

I think you should do as detailed an injury list for last season as you've done there, and you might realise just how badly we were hit - but without the options to replace that we have this season. We had games where we had to play Saiss (and at least once Kilman) at left back. Boly missed nearly half the season, Podence missed more games than he's missed this season, Jonny missed more of last season than he has this, and that's before you throw in the sickeners that took our best players away, players who happened to both be forwards so the attacking unit got drastically weakened

As for Traore, as I said earlier in the thread, maybe Lage should have played him a bit more often? You can't use his exit as leeway for Lage when he was spending more time on the bench than the pitch because the head coach preferred to use Hwang or Trincao

Covid hasn't stopped the season and made us play two seasons back to back, we've just had the odd positive case - which we also had last season

None of the mitigation that was being used last season applies to Lage's tenure, none, let alone injuries

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman
Coady
Sa
Podence
Neves and Moutinho look like new players

Just IMO

We don't know about Sa. I don't think Coady has been any better personally.

Kilman maybe but did he just need to play more. Is Podence that much better, looks the same for me.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Injuries?! This season has been run of the mill for injuries

I think you should do as detailed an injury list for last season as you've done there, and you might realise just how badly we were hit - but without the options to replace that we have this season. We had games where we had to play Saiss (and at least once Kilman) at left back. Boly missed nearly half the season, Podence missed more games than he's missed this season, Jonny missed more of last season than he has this, and that's before you throw in the sickeners that took our best players away, players who happened to both be forwards so the attacking unit got drastically weakened

As for Traore, as I said earlier in the thread, maybe Lage should have played him a bit more often? You can't use his exit as leeway for Lage when he was spending more time on the bench than the pitch because the head coach preferred to use Hwang or Trincao

Covid hasn't stopped the season and made us play two seasons back to back, we've just had the odd positive case - which we also had last season

None of the mitigation that was being used last season applies to Lage's tenure, none, let alone injuries
No of course not :rolleyes:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't know about Sa. I don't think Coady has been any better personally.

Kilman maybe but did he just need to play more. Is Podence that much better, looks the same for me.
I think Coady has been good this season. Much better than last

Maybe so about Pod. Maybe he just needed more game time

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Ok, fine….you’ve got some doubts too, like many of us.
But many Wolves fans won‘t always agree with you. Many of them walked out at the Brighton game and Bruno said fans were correct to boo the players.
Seems Bruno and thousands of fans were negative but you dislike my concerns about next season? …..and they were only concerns, btw.
You can have your concerns yes. So can some of the fans. Some of us can point out that being negative is......well, negative.
Unless only negativity is allowed here, and anyone posting positivity is a pariah...

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same old people moaning about the same old things.

I’ve lost track of the number of times someone on here posted Jonny can play CB.
Lage does it and now he’s clueless and it’s borderline sackable…. Give me strength

people have got their panties in a knot over City ripping us one. We aren’t the first and won’t be the last. thier movement and interplay is frightening At times. Yes our CBs parted like a wannabe WAGs legs at times, but a couple of their goals were just mistakes.

coady pass bouncing off neves, and Stirling through on goal and Sa quite rightly got caught in two minds after giving away very soft pens. If he’d have carried on, Stirling would have manufactured the contact, like many of the others.

I don’t think the issue is with Lage, it’s more the players stuck in a rut and taking safe options Half the time, and you can see Lage going tits on the touch line.
If you watch the training vids, it’s all pass and move, find space. Match kicks off and some revert back to type.

Spot on. Another one is stating that we need to start Fabio, he will make a difference. Yet Fabio has started 6 times and made no difference. Another is Donk/Moutinho must start then the next week they must be sold. Bruno makes some baffling decisions, but in those areas, he is limited. Only 3 midfielders to choose from. And Fabio, for all his great attitude, effort and potential, is miles off and Bruno will see this everyday. It's the triumph of hope over reality!

On being stuck in a rut, I'm wondering how many of our problems, the things we've seen on and off for several years, are down to the footballing philosophy of the club? Basing this on the Under 23 Cup Final, how it was very much like a mirror image of the first team. Lots of possession and football a level higher than the opponents. But ultimately lightweight and with weak finishing, which was our downfall. The manner of their goals, out of scrappy situation, a player winning the battle with a defender and propelling the ball towards the goal by any means possible. Our attackers (both first team and under-23) just aren't that type of player. They need space and time, else they are easy pickings for any defence. Raul excluded, of course, but even Neto falls into that category when it comes to actually scoring. Forwards shouldn't need goals handed to them on a plate. So many goals involve the attacker holding off the defender and smashing the ball goalwards. Ours are unable to do that and that's why they have to make one more pass, or turn and play it backwards. Last nights match, though Under 23, really showed this and I reckon the first team has the same problem. Not tactics, type of player. If only Bully was 25 again. :)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can have your concerns yes. So can some of the fans. Some of us can point out that being negative is......well, negative.
Unless only negativity is allowed here, and anyone posting positivity is a pariah...
Ok…..I will watch you leading by example , ie, where you are not being negative or critical about any of the players, any of Bruno’s selections or subs, any of Jeff’s decisions, any of the transfers, any of your fellow Mixers or their posts etc.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not that easy in a January window.
Maybe they tried to replace him but we seldom if ever learn who we were trying to get in.
Then we should not have let him go. You never weaken your squad mid season.
I am certain of that from what I can and have seen .
Obviously if he downed tools and was disruptive he should have gone.
If not this was an appalling decision.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough but I was just answering a point somebody made about replacing him in a Jan. window.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By all accounts he remained utterly professional at all times.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So will Bruno next season, we’ve lost 12 of the last 16 games and can’t score for toffee…

Absolutely. Whatever was rotten under Nuno has reared it’s head.

I said then it was squad revamp or sack Nuno.
Looks like same choice now.

Quite a few of our players are paid more than the coach so I know which option looks easiest…

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems Bruno has an impossible task of winning some of our fans over simply as he’s not Nuno. Many just haven’t took to him through not wanting to.

We day like change.
Look at the upset caused by loaning out a couple of fringe players popular on computer games

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough but I was just answering a point somebody made about replacing him in a Jan. window.
No problem - I made the point.
It was crass stupidity and it makes me worry about our decision making .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By all accounts he remained utterly professional at all times.
Thats how WWFC report it, his attitude was fine.
I would sack the guy who let him go without a replacement.
No replacement no release. Unless you are brainless . But these are the guys who relied all season on Hwang and Silva with Jimmy and Neto injured.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1652556031502.gif

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I compared 18/19 with this season. Jota was here. It was a glorious season according to everyone. The manager was a hero.

Can you explain why we are probably going to finish just 4 points behind that season, with the same amount of wins and the manager gets hammered by many?

Absolutely, and i already have. As i keep saying, from my perspective, its the standard of our performances over the last 15 or so games. Bruno has done ok for probably half the season. We looked like a fairly decent side at times even though i still think we rode our luck at times, but that's something you need anyway in football. Then for whatever reason, our form started dropping. We started creating less and less, we started leaking goals. We look like there is no direction from the manager, the team has no identity, no style of play and Lage, like in his previous job, doesn't seem to have the ability to turn things around once things start going badly.

My own personal opinion from hearing how Lage and some of the players speak about match preparation is i think he is too obsessed with what the opposition are going to do and how do we stop them instead of concentrating on our own game. Nobody can deny we have gone backwards at a fairly alarming rate in the last 15 games or so and that's why he is getting criticised so much. I think the majority on here would be fine with finishing lower than 12th tbh if we could see we were progressing as a team with our style of play and performance. When you start regressing and playing worse, then you are obviously going to get criticised.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure why you’ve felt the need to try and patronise me. Don’t care to know why either.

Anyone who hasn’t took to Bruno because ‘sometimes you just don’t like certain people for whatever reason’ isn’t in the real world, they’re in their feelings. That’s their problem, not his.

Good for you that you dont care, but I dont see it as patronising at all. I agree, everyone should want the manager to do well , and for people that dont it is their problem, you are spot on. But at the same time, you do get people, and you see it everywhere, who for some reason like to see people fail. Having plenty of people that want you to succeed is perfectly fine. It would be better if everyone did, but the reality of things is that just doesnt happen, so if the majority get behind you, and they have with Lage, then thats perfectly acceptable.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He probably would have downed tools if we blocked a move to Barca. For all the carry on about Adama, we were well covered for him, and in the scheme of things he would have made very little difference because he was making very little difference in his last season and a half anyway. Everyone with a brain knows we stuffed up by not at the minimum bringing in a central midfielder. As is becoming the norm, we get where we need to strengthen totally wrong.

I can see the logic why we did it though with Traore. He wanted a move. He wouldnt sign a contract so we probably thought sending him to a far weaker league at a top side he would thrive and at least put himself in the shop window. Sadly, he has fallen flat on his face and he is now worth less than he was before he left here.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last 16 matches played:
W5
D1
L10
Not great but not as many as 12 losses in 16.

But not great...

People probably using the cup games i guess, which if we are playing close to a full strength side is fair enough imo.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wish I had such a short memory
I don't have a short memory. I remember people coming out with the same utter rubbish last season and @SteveBullsKnee destroying them with mathematical fact.

Keep trying the same crap to try to suggest that you were right (you were NOT!) then and expect to be pulled up every single time.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope Bruno sets us up as he means to go on today. I do not believe he is predominantly a 5 at the back, or defense minded manager. But players play by instinct and by instinct they are the above. When Bruno came him he flirted with 4 at the back in pre-season, then some of the most attacking football we have all saw. But he didnt get backed. It is as simple as that. He was let down.

So today, whether by means of 4 at the back, or more in line with the first three games. Show us your identify Bruno because we all took to the Bruno style after 3 games of losing but then the last 3 months have been at best, boring. But this is not his team, or squad.

I want him to stay because I think different manager = largely the same problems.

We brought in Bruno because we had in mind an attack minded manager, prepared to give youngsters a chance. Show us your vision today Bruno. Prove you doubters wrong. It isn't too late. This may sound too romantic, but imagine the message it would send to supporters and mainly the owners if he signed off with a high tempo, attacking display with even dare I say it, a few goals?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope Bruno sets us up as he means to go on today. I do not believe he is predominantly a 5 at the back, or defense minded manager. But players play by instinct and by instinct they are the above. When Bruno came him he flirted with 4 at the back in pre-season, then some of the most attacking football we have all saw. But he didnt get backed. It is as simple as that. He was let down.

So today, whether by means of 4 at the back, or more in line with the first three games. Show us your identify Bruno because we all took to the Bruno style after 3 games of losing but then the last 3 months have been at best, boring. But this is not his team, or squad.

I want him to stay because I think different manager = largely the same problems.

We brought in Bruno because we had in mind an attack minded manager, prepared to give youngsters a chance. Show us your vision today Bruno. Prove you doubters wrong. It isn't too late. This may sound too romantic, but imagine the message it would send to supporters and mainly the owners if he signed off with a high tempo, attacking display with even dare I say it, a few goals?
Agreed

Would be incredibly dissapointed if we start with a back 5 today

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't have a short memory. I remember people coming out with the same utter rubbish last season and @SteveBullsKnee destroying them with mathematical fact.

Keep trying the same crap to try to suggest that you were right (you were NOT!) then and expect to be pulled up every single time.

Wait and see.
Learning takes time

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last 16 matches played:
W5
D1
L10
Not great but not as many as 12 losses in 16.

But not great...
Just above relegation places/lower mid table type type of form over the season? I think it’s our (still) inability to score goals or create many chances, apart from those season opening salvos, that show Bruno is not able to sustain any type change that will at least show what he wants to do. We’ve reverted to the same old same old and now the defence is leaking goals for fun it’s really shone a light on those shortcomings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom