Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno is doing better than I thought.

But I'm sorry, I strongly doubt he is essentially doing anything that Nuno wouldn't have done.

In essence we have just IMHO replaced like with perhaps like.
Would you not agree he’s getting far more out of Neves and Semedo?

Has he improved our defending from set pieces? 0 goals conceded and it’s January (0nly team in the league who can say this)

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But I'm sorry, I strongly doubt he is essentially doing anything that Nuno wouldn't have done.

So you think Nuno was orchestrating some kind of down tools protest last season and was able to turn it around at the drop of a hat?

Quite an accusation

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly can’t take to Bruno as a person. But I do like the way he makes comments in the media which show his support for the players. That’s good man management.

No idea why you can’t take to Bruno as a person, or why that’s important.

For what it’s worth my mates done some work where he’s staying and says he’s a very friendly chap. Did apparently say that Molineux is a bit small (probably another dig at Fosun for lack of investment :))

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better forward players than that? Jimenez is at best at 70% of the level he was previously before injury. Podence isn’t a goal scorer, Trincao and Traore the same, midfielder’s, wingbacks barely score also.

I have to check that on number of chances, certainly sure on expected goals the team isn’t 18th, and the team doesn’t attack only with 3 players.

One thing I am absolutely sure, Lage is certainly more competent and able to improve the things as you might think , and no, you’re wrong if you think with this type of players the team will suddenly start to score a lot of goals, or that they play like this because Lage is defensive.

I am not even going to comment on City because you probably missed the small detail the team played with 10 players for 45 minutes, but ok, maybe you know better and the coordination of the defensive line isn’t happening related to the work done and it’s only pure luck.

Sorry I confirmed on number of shots Wolves is 18th but there’s also a point missing here, on big chances missed it’s in 8th place in the League, which reinforces my point that the conversion rate of some players hasn’t been good at all, let’s see how in the second half of the season things go.

But with all that you’ve right that on some games even with this group of players the offensive production of the team as a whole has to improve, let’s see what happens.
Thanks for posting, I’m neither a Nuno or Bruno disciple, however both are excellent coaches. For me the most important point for me is we parted company with a very good coach then the management of this football club replaced him with what might turn out to be a better one.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better forward players than that? Jimenez is at best at 70% of the level he was previously before injury. Podence isn’t a goal scorer, Trincao and Traore the same, midfielder’s, wingbacks barely score also.

I have to check that on number of chances, certainly sure on expected goals the team isn’t 18th, and the team doesn’t attack only with 3 players.

One thing I am absolutely sure, Lage is certainly more competent and able to improve the things as you might think , and no, you’re wrong if you think with this type of players the team will suddenly start to score a lot of goals, or that they play like this because Lage is defensive.

I am not even going to comment on City because you probably missed the small detail the team played with 10 players for 45 minutes, but ok, maybe you know better and the coordination of the defensive line isn’t happening related to the work done and it’s only pure luck.

Sorry I confirmed on number of shots Wolves is 18th but there’s also a point missing here, on big chances missed it’s in 8th place in the League, which reinforces my point that the conversion rate of some players hasn’t been good at all, let’s see how in the second half of the season things go.

But with all that you’ve right that on some games even with this group of players the offensive production of the team as a whole has to improve, let’s see what happens.
It was you who brought up the City game, not me! I have no qualms about how the City game went, down to ten men at half time we couldn't do anything other than try to hold on and I don't expect miracles. But if you want to mention that we only conceded one against them to praise the defence then I will say to you that it should have been more

Much of the football has been abject, even in good moments. But for a large part of the season, up until last Monday, we haven't attacked with any real pressure or intent and the build up has been far too slow and predictable. Now I don't think we have a side that could smash in 50+ goals in a season and keep them out at the other end, but I do think we have a side that should be scoring in more than nine games over half a season.

Not scoring and continuing to pick up a good points haul (in the main thanks to the superb form of Josa Sa) is not sustainable and Lage needs to get that balance right

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It sounded like ****itup to me.I know me hearing ay up to much though. :confused:

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lots of interesting stuff in this. Priority is a CB, opinions on Jordao and Fabio and on playing with a back 3 and back 4
Last 2 minutes of that is really interesting.

I take from that, he is hoping the squad and team eventually will transition into a back four?

Belfast Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

I take from that, he is hoping the squad and team eventually will transition into a back four?
I think both options from what he says here and I think when he was appointed Tim Speirs reported that he wanted to use both

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes very interesting. The question of course will be what does he do with Coady? Can he turn him into a more traditional center half or will he move him foward? Its hard to beleive Lage is thinking of moving him out now, he doesnt strike me as someone who will make a change like that.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a good interview in The Times with Lage. It's behind a paywall but if you can get access it's worth a read. It really comes across how much he loves coaching. I'll add the last couple of paragraphs below -

“My ambition for Wolves is simple. I want for Wolves what I want for my own career and that’s to be better every day. We’ve come from a good performance, to a good training session — with goals — and that’s what I want for tomorrow. We build up our pathway, me and Wolves, with solid things.

“And solid things are good performances and good trainings, not dreams and words. So… day by day.”

R

reanswolf

He looks so much happier now than when he first arrived, really settled in and got the bit betwen his teeth.

He is clearly a highly-motivated, intelligent coach who indeed understands the intricicies of the game in far more detail and complexity than nearly all of us, as of course you would expect.

Very encouraged by listening to him.

Credit to Fosun and Jeff too for the appointment.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The more I see Bruno the more I’m liking him. I was as big a Nuno fanboy as anyone, but ‘we must find solutions’ got very tiresome. Nice to hear some actual tactical discussion.
Bruno knows some ****.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more I see Bruno the more I’m liking him. I was as big a Nuno fanboy as anyone, but ‘we must find solutions’ got very tiresome. Nice to hear some actual tactical discussion.
Bruno knows some ****.
I'm the same, I struggled to warm up to him, but after the last few interviews he's shown himself to be a very capable tactician.
I'm sure there will be games when he gets it wrong, but overall I feel that he knows what he wants and how to achieve it.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looks so much happier now than when he first arrived, really settled in and got the bit betwen his teeth.

He is clearly a highly-motivated, intelligent coach who indeed understands the intricicies of the game in far more detail and complexity than nearly all of us, as of course you would expect.

Very encouraged by listening to him.

Credit to Fosun and Jeff too for the appointment.
Think we’ve got Uncle Jorge to thank for this one.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Lots of interesting stuff in this. Priority is a CB, opinions on Jordao and Fabio and on playing with a back 3 and back 4
Surely the big news there is that he said he is very happy with Trincao, suck it up guys

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So we will be changing to a back 4. Once we sign a cb . And now he has had time to work with the players .

I guess we won’t see it until later this season but you never know.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Really interesting and open interview, for me the most important parts, near the end, he confirmed what I thought, defensive line are playing further forward and flatter with goalkeeper filling the space, defenders are covering more ground, all geared to changing to a four in the future, we've been a back five for so long this needs changing using baby steps. We are super confident in a back five, but now bruno's adding little nuggets to our game which will make moving to a back four, in the future, smoother... hopefully.

33:10 "Don't use my words to attack anyone". Very fair, we as fans are almost always now now now. It's a football club that wants to be successfull in a smart and sustainable way. We will all be gutted if the transfer window closes and we dont bring in a couple players, but I've learned from the past buying for the sake of buying is something Man United and Everton do. Attacking Shi now or in the next few weeks ain't helping us and Bruno will end up keeping his mouth shut in the future which will deprive us of interviews like this... It'll be like having Nuno's interviews again.

33:30 "find the right moment to bring a top player" "don't buy a 'player' just to fill a spot" Massive point and I'm in full agreement, use a younger player to do that and then wait until a top player is available, it's exactly why we all love Kilman on here, currently my POTS,

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems an intelligent man with an understanding of the game.
After the Brentford game when he seemed to chuck every forward on the pitch without much of a plan I was unsure but he's calmed down since.
Less pandering to the crowd also helps as I'll rather he focus on the pitch.
At times his refusal to make a change or bring on a sub is frustrating ie Palace away.
But overall you have to congratulate the club for an astute appointment.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

But we have less shots now

R

reanswolf

I know may will say, why the **** should they, but it is important for togetherness for fans to understand the project and even understand the basics of the managers thought-processes.

I learnt more from that clip of Bruno talking about how he feels about formation than from anything else. I get it that it will never appease everyone nor will everyone listen to it, but it was a really good listen. I understand now, for instance, why he 'first' wants a CB capable of commanding in a back 4 than anything else, which I would previously have thought was crazy as we now arguably have the players to do that.

I still don't entirely understand why CM is not a priority, but I think it starts from the back, and inevitably midfield will be next.

But Bruno is a master-tactician, and he will live or die by his strategies.

Anyway, I digress slightly, but I place great value on such communication as this, long may it continue.

PTW

Reaction score
It was you who brought up the City game, not me! I have no qualms about how the City game went, down to ten men at half time we couldn't do anything other than try to hold on and I don't expect miracles. But if you want to mention that we only conceded one against them to praise the defence then I will say to you that it should have been more

Much of the football has been abject, even in good moments. But for a large part of the season, up until last Monday, we haven't attacked with any real pressure or intent and the build up has been far too slow and predictable. Now I don't think we have a side that could smash in 50+ goals in a season and keep them out at the other end, but I do think we have a side that should be scoring in more than nine games over half a season.

Not scoring and continuing to pick up a good points haul (in the main thanks to the superb form of Josa Sa) is not sustainable and Lage needs to get that balance right
The fact is the football hasn't been always abject and on expected goals to be scored the number of goals scored don't match up what you're saying. Not even the number of big chances missed. And you were trying to suggest number of chances is the same thing as number of shots.

Also you can look on stats like possession, number of touches and passes the team isn't even close to being one of the worst in the League. So basically dismissing all the games played during the season as abject is laughable. Don't worry, Lage knows much more football than you or me, on this I am absolutely sure on that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In the summer I thought we had made a mistake and should have gone for benitez. Shows the extent of my knowledge
I’m gaining more and more respect for this manager, I still think he’s working with what he’s got in terms of his choice of formation and general tactics but I would actually admit he is improving some of the players now, someone told me on here earlier in the season that they thought he would be better than Nuno at actually improving the players individually and I was sceptical but hopeful, I believe them now.

killman
semedo
ait nouri
neves
coady
saiss
silva

all improved individually under Bruno, you could argue it is for other reasons but I will hand it to Bruno.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's doing absolutely fine.

The football has mostly been better, he's barely had any opportunities to bring in his own players, and whilst elements of what he wants to do are starting to show, he's been sensible and pragmatic enough to realize the team needs to walk before it can run and has adapted accordingly.

Semedo, Kilman and Saïss are playing their best premier league football with us, Coady, Podence, Neves and Moutinho are playing far better than they were at the back end of last season.

Of his signings, Sa is looking the business after a little while settling in, and whilst the jury is still out on Mosquera, Trincao and Hwang, the former looked good before his injury.

Most importantly, we've rarely looked out of place in any game. No point speculating whether Nuno would have turned things around or not because unless you have an alternate reality up your sleeve we will never know, but at times towards the end under Nuno we capitulated and that's not happening now, so whatever Bruno has done to reverse that, mission accomplished so far.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am just gonna say it, Bruno is a better manager than Nuno. We are better organised as a unit now than we were when being ultra negative under Nuno. Not to mention we would probably be seeing Donk and not Kilman playing at the back this season.

Back
Top Bottom