Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brentford Verdict

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My morning after verdict!

Well that was a bizarre game. A series of unusual stoppages and a little bit of football in between, it felt like. I do actually think we were the better team when the football did get going, despite what their manager thinks. I never felt in danger from them going forward and when we actually got the ball on the pitch and played we looked much more threatening. It was actually really nice to win a scrappy game though because that’s probably been one of our weaknesses in recent seasons, when the game becomes a bit broken up and a bitty, we come a cropper, but not yesterday, the team showed a lot of guts to stick in and win it.

First half was bizarre, neither team was on top and then they had a really nasty clash of heads, I haven’t heard anything but I hope both players are ok. Never nice to see whether it’s your team or not. We had a little spell of pressure while they adjusted to their subs and then out of nowhere the play gets stopped again and the players go off. Drone stops play is a new one for me I’ve gotta say! But just chatting at the game, I suppose it could be a safety risk if the drone is loaded with explosives or chemicals or whatever. Once the players came back out it just felt like going through the motions a bit, just sorta knocking it about until half time.

Second half we started well and scored pretty much straight away. Some really nice football by us actually, knocking a little chain of passes together, then the sharp one two between Joao and Nelson. Great finish by Joao, I think you don’t realise how good the technique is to kinda swerve it outside of the foot. Great goal from the magic man! Brentford actually responded well to the goal and improved a bit. The Toti red card was absolute nonsense, a sign of a ref out of his depth. I think he realised that Brentford were through on goal so he decided if he’s gonna stop the game he has to send him off. He panicked basically. Thankfully common sense (which you don’t usually get off VAR!) took over and it was only yellow. Typically we concede off the free kick anyway. Wonder whether our lads were still a bit wound up about the red card, not quite switched back on? Great finish by Toney though, the only thing he did all game in fairness.

Again though we had a little wobble for a couple of minutes. Think Sa deserves credit just for taking the pace out of the game and killing their momentum, and then we got back on top and back in front. More good football by us, nice passing, great little ball by Podence into Nelson, not sure who he was aiming for with his cross, but Ait Nouri and Moutinho work it well into Neves, great curling finish. I said live I’m not sure if the keeper shouldn’t be saving it and looking at the replay it’s poor from him, but let’s be honest we don’t really care! Saw the game out quite comfortably really.

Overall a very good win. I was surprised how poor Brentford were because all you hear is how good they are what a great atmosphere they have. Well it was poor. And their stadium announcer has to be the worst ever. Just read out the teams and shut the **** up! Good to win a game where things got tricky, remember that game at Norwich just before Xmas when conditions were so bad I think both teams just settled for a point. Yesterday though we had great mentality. Long may it continue! Great atmosphere in our end.

Emoji Ratings!

:hearteyes:- Moutinho, Podence

:grinning:- Neves, Coady, Semedo

:blush:- Sa, Toti, Ait Nouri

:expressionless:-Kilman, Fabio

:disappointed:- Dendoncker

:anguished:-

:dizzy:-
Podence gets a higher rating than Neves? Kilman the same as Fabio? Nine o'clock Sunday morning is a strange time to be drinking but I'll have a pint of whatever you're on...

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some people need to realise Donk’s role in midfield is different to Neves and Moutinho. He has to be far more mobile and cover loads more ground and he does that well. He isn’t as calm and precise in possession but a lot of his good work is off the ball not with it. An upgrade would be nice but as the third midfielder he offers different things and is nowhere near as bad as some posters are making out.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was a great result yesterday again, made even more impressive by my belief that we have still got 25 - 30% improvement in us. We are rolling good mid table teams over, barely getting out of second or third gear.

The front three conundrum (and I am including Donk in that) is still just that- a conundrum. If we had a fully fit squad and were playing a two, I think Raul, Neto and probably even Hwang are ahead of Podence and Fabio in the pecking order. I am also under the impression that in a 352 we would look significantly better if MGW was playing the position instead of Dendoncker. In a 343 we have all of those options plus Trinc and Chiq in the squad too. It's an embarrassment of riches tbh.

If Bruno ever gets the attacking blend right consistently we are going to be an absolute juggernaut and very few teams will be able to live with us.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That stat isnt accurate. Traore was on target
It isn’t counted as he was offside, as great a goal as it was and stockley park would have found a frame to give it for Utd et al, it can’t be counted as the play technically didn’t happen because of the previous offside.

I think it is stupid that hitting the post/bar isn’t counted as on target

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are already a good number of contributions on the match, so I will be writing on the ambiguities I see in the football rules.
1. Sa collected the ball and immediately he distributed it to Silva, two Brentford players collided and Silva was on his own going to the Brentford penalty area. But the game was rightly stopped because the injuries could have been serious, but the referee re-started the match with a drop ball inside the Wolves half. I do not think that was a fair decision. Silva did not in any way contribute to the collision of the two defenders, so why not start the match with a drop ball to Silva on his own as it was stopped.

2. Another ambiguity is on the offside rule. There is a very different interpretation on this rule between the Asst. Referee on this field of play and the VAR. The former is not considered to be offside until he touches the ball no matter how many yards he is offside. The VAR is different. Traore was a millimetre ahead of their defender but he did not yet touch the ball, by the time he took the ball and shot, the defender was ahead of Traore, who was therefore no longer in an offside position when he scored, but on this occasion and in similar occasions the VAR cancels the goal because it is considered that he was originally in an offside position. I therefore see different interpretations of the offside rule between the VAR and the Asst. Referee on the field of play.

3. Another different interpretation on the offside rule is, a centre comes in the penalty area, there are one or more players in an offside position, but the ball is taken by a player who is not in an offside position and scores. (Yesterday's equaliser of Manchester City at Southampton) so all the players interfering with play are disregarded, in spite that they would have disturbed the defenders with their position. I consider it to be unfair on the defenders.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are already a good number of contributions on the match, so I will be writing on the ambiguities I see in the football rules.
1. Sa collected the ball and immediately he distributed it to Silva, two Brentford players collided and Silva was on his own going to the Brentford penalty area. But the game was rightly stopped because the injuries could have been serious, but the referee re-started the match with a drop ball inside the Wolves half. I do not think that was a fair decision. Silva did not in any way contribute to the collision of the two defenders, so why not start the match with a drop ball to Silva on his own as it was stopped.

2. Another ambiguity is on the offside rule. There is a very different interpretation on this rule between the Asst. Referee on this field of play and the VAR. The former is not considered to be offside until he touches the ball no matter how many yards he is offside. The VAR is different. Traore was a millimetre ahead of their defender but he did not yet touch the ball, by the time he took the ball and shot, the defender was ahead of Traore, who was therefore no longer in an offside position when he scored, but on this occasion and in similar occasions the VAR cancels the goal because it is considered that he was originally in an offside position. I therefore see different interpretations of the offside rule between the VAR and the Asst. Referee on the field of play.

3. Another different interpretation on the offside rule is, a centre comes in the penalty area, there are one or more players in an offside position, but the ball is taken by a player who is not in an offside position and scores. (Yesterday's equaliser of Manchester City at Southampton) so all the players interfering with play are disregarded, in spite that they would have disturbed the defenders with their position. I consider it to be unfair on the defenders.

Think the first is valid and I felt the same. Unfortunately even if a drop ball had been given to us in the attacking half, then Brentford would still have been able to reset their defence before play restarted. So I think it’s just unlucky for both teams as it turned out.

The other two are already covered by the rules of offside and how it’s applied when VAR is being used. Unfortunately, Adama’s foot was just offside and while I am disappointed for him and us, I can’t disagree the decision. The assistant is told to allow play to continue even if they think a player is offside so that if a goal results, VAR can check and give it or rule it out. Whether other players are offside depends on how much they are interfering with the play leading up to a goal. We’ve been on the wrong side of some dodgy VAR offside decisions, but not yesterday in my view.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was a great result yesterday again, made even more impressive by my belief that we have still got 25 - 30% improvement in us. We are rolling good mid table teams over, barely getting out of second or third gear.

The front three conundrum (and I am including Donk in that) is still just that- a conundrum. If we had a fully fit squad and were playing a two, I think Raul, Neto and probably even Hwang are ahead of Podence and Fabio in the pecking order. I am also under the impression that in a 352 we would look significantly better if MGW was playing the position instead of Dendoncker. In a 343 we have all of those options plus Trinc and Chiq in the squad too. It's an embarrassment of riches tbh.

If Bruno ever gets the attacking blend right consistently we are going to be an absolute juggernaut and very few teams will be able to live with us.
I’m struggling to see anything Hwang offers over Podence other than height!

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree, we are beating teams we struggled to break down in previous years but we can all agree there is room for improvement. I think Donk had a decent game yesterday but that would be the position to upgrade on if we play that formation consistently. I do think we will go back 3 4 3 if Jimenez is fit though

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My morning after verdict!

Well that was a bizarre game. A series of unusual stoppages and a little bit of football in between, it felt like. I do actually think we were the better team when the football did get going, despite what their manager thinks. I never felt in danger from them going forward and when we actually got the ball on the pitch and played we looked much more threatening. It was actually really nice to win a scrappy game though because that’s probably been one of our weaknesses in recent seasons, when the game becomes a bit broken up and a bitty, we come a cropper, but not yesterday, the team showed a lot of guts to stick in and win it.

First half was bizarre, neither team was on top and then they had a really nasty clash of heads, I haven’t heard anything but I hope both players are ok. Never nice to see whether it’s your team or not. We had a little spell of pressure while they adjusted to their subs and then out of nowhere the play gets stopped again and the players go off. Drone stops play is a new one for me I’ve gotta say! But just chatting at the game, I suppose it could be a safety risk if the drone is loaded with explosives or chemicals or whatever. Once the players came back out it just felt like going through the motions a bit, just sorta knocking it about until half time.

Second half we started well and scored pretty much straight away. Some really nice football by us actually, knocking a little chain of passes together, then the sharp one two between Joao and Nelson. Great finish by Joao, I think you don’t realise how good the technique is to kinda swerve it outside of the foot. Great goal from the magic man! Brentford actually responded well to the goal and improved a bit. The Toti red card was absolute nonsense, a sign of a ref out of his depth. I think he realised that Brentford were through on goal so he decided if he’s gonna stop the game he has to send him off. He panicked basically. Thankfully common sense (which you don’t usually get off VAR!) took over and it was only yellow. Typically we concede off the free kick anyway. Wonder whether our lads were still a bit wound up about the red card, not quite switched back on? Great finish by Toney though, the only thing he did all game in fairness.

Again though we had a little wobble for a couple of minutes. Think Sa deserves credit just for taking the pace out of the game and killing their momentum, and then we got back on top and back in front. More good football by us, nice passing, great little ball by Podence into Nelson, not sure who he was aiming for with his cross, but Ait Nouri and Moutinho work it well into Neves, great curling finish. I said live I’m not sure if the keeper shouldn’t be saving it and looking at the replay it’s poor from him, but let’s be honest we don’t really care! Saw the game out quite comfortably really.

Overall a very good win. I was surprised how poor Brentford were because all you hear is how good they are what a great atmosphere they have. Well it was poor. And their stadium announcer has to be the worst ever. Just read out the teams and shut the **** up! Good to win a game where things got tricky, remember that game at Norwich just before Xmas when conditions were so bad I think both teams just settled for a point. Yesterday though we had great mentality. Long may it continue! Great atmosphere in our end.

Emoji Ratings!

:hearteyes:- Moutinho, Podence

:grinning:- Neves, Coady, Semedo

:blush:- Sa, Toti, Ait Nouri

:expressionless:-Kilman, Fabio

:disappointed:- Dendoncker

:anguished:-

:dizzy:-
Rare to disagree with your ratings Jade but Donck was crucial in the build up to both of the goals

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great win against difficult opposition who a lot of teams struggle to overcome …….

Fitness of key players, belief and confidence key from here on in

One observation…,10 (50%) yesterdays squad involved were Portuguese , this must be some sort of record for a Prem league team with so many non UK players from one country …..maybe another reason for the unity within the team

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We went prawn sarny as couldn't get a regular ticket. Bloke in front of us was apparently huang's agent. He said:

- huang loves it at wolves and wants to stay. It's wolves call. Reckoned he could get more elsewhere and wolves have a bargain (he would say that!)

- he'll be fit in a couple of weeks.

- said traore will leave in the summer, not now. Don't know why he said that or if it's just an opinion.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A couple of players getting called out

Dendonker done OK. His passing accuracy was highest of the midfield 3. He made quite a lot of runs into channel and kept the ball alive including for one of the goals. Can he turn and beat a player from those advanced positions? No, it's a limitation and perhaps we could upgrade. He certainly didn't have a bad game.

Fabio was partly a victim of the formation. Raul suffers just as much when isolated. He made some good runs, put himself about. So close to finishing off what would have been the move of the match. Needs a goal! His flicks are sublime, almost always come off and advance us up the pitch.

Podense was my MOM. He looks unplayable at the moment. Not sure how you set up to defend against someone who can go both ways on a sixpence and has great link up play. Stay fit, stay consistent please

2 great goals from our classy midfield duo. I thought Neves passing was very poor today overall. Moutinho was running the game.

Defence+Sa see any match review in Jan. Excellent. Toti seems to have grown in confidence, he actually stood out today. Seemed to be on the end of everything.

Wing backs keep impressing. Defensively gave brentford no change and supported attacks quite well.

Bruno, you're nailed on for a deserved Manager of Month. Hopefully it's not thr curse as always seems to be the way (even Nuno won it this season!)

Were playing all the teams around us in Feb. If we keep getting results, who knows how this ends up???? Exciting times

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The offside rule is clear
If your in an offside position when the ball is played your offside
The assistant referee has been told to play on till the sequence is completed before flagging or a goal is scored then VAR will check

Your second point is also incorrect
Players are deemed to be offside only if they are in an active area,silly rule as they are all active in box,but thats what it is

It was the correct decision yesterday,but Traore was stupid getting caught offside in the first place
With his pace he can easily give the defender half a yard and burn him with ease,but he didnt and thats that

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Noticed a couple of things since my earlier post

The brentford free kick is taken miles away from where Toti committed the foul. Seems like they used the VAR commotion to move the ball forward 10 yards. Poor from the ref

Thomas Frank. I thought his attitude stunk at the end and he had so little class. To be fair to him though, havi g watched his interview on MOTD, he owned it. Said it wasn't good enough so fair play. Anyone can lose their **** in the moment.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not bad for the team that didn't deserve to win.
Those two goals are seriously underrated, even with the beautiful finishes

The build up play was exquisite for both. Really starting to see the work Bruno and Co put in on the training ground

Another 12-18 months and I truly believe we'll be the best team to watch in the Premier League

optimuswolf

Reaction score
I think some people need to realise Donk’s role in midfield is different to Neves and Moutinho. He has to be far more mobile and cover loads more ground and he does that well. He isn’t as calm and precise in possession but a lot of his good work is off the ball not with it. An upgrade would be nice but as the third midfielder he offers different things and is nowhere near as bad as some posters are making out.
i don't go to games, for various reasons, but those who do and whose opinion i respect rate donk better than those who watch on tv. and thats for the reasons you state. he has a languid style, and does a lot off the ball, which is missed on the telly.

that said his limitations on the ball are there for all to see, and he should be scoring more as a box to box. maybe dave edwards can have a word!

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bruno doesn't get Manager of the Month it's a scandal. But I wouldn't be surprised for Pep to get it even tho they haven't got maximum points through Jan

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti was excellent, esp first half. But most importantly we have both midfielders chipping in with goals and having better movement around the box. Still work to do but this month has been a real improvement in that respect. Doncks did ok yesterday tho first half added nothing creatively. Second half no complaints. He is what he is.

WinchWolf

Reaction score
Not bad for the team that didn't deserve to win.
Looks like they have been doing work on playing the ball behind down the line for Donks to retrieve as it happens for both goals and drags the defence towards their goal line leaving room for Moutinho and Neves. How long have we been wanting Wolves to play forward passes!

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Great win against difficult opposition who a lot of teams struggle to overcome …….

Fitness of key players, belief and confidence key from here on in

One observation…,10 (50%) yesterdays squad involved were Portuguese , this must be some sort of record for a Prem league team with so many non UK players from one country …..maybe another reason for the unity within the team
Our team is basically Portuguese. Brentford has a very Danish slant

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know they needed an upgrade and London space is a premium but it's very boxed in and no way to develop really, it's almost like they have pigeonholed themselves already

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it's a bit harsh on Donk to say he switched off for their goal, the Brentford 'blockers' did a good job stopping him getting there.
Just watched the highlights again,,it was dendonker who set both goals up with deep runs into the corner, taking 2 defenders with him.
On there goal, it was dendonker who nearly got to Toney,,unlike the 3 defenders

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Superb technique from Moutinho using the outside of his right foot to finish in the bottom corner. 4 wins from 4 should give Lage a shout for manager of the month.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Against two but taking into account Hwang has played more it is not a significant difference, especially as Hwang has rarely looked like scoring since his brace against Newcastle.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like the Southampton game we were solid and got a result while not at our best although they were 2 lovely goals.

Playing a 3 in midfield was savvy move by Bruno and credit to Dendoncker he did a very good job from a tactical POV which also seem to give Neves and Moutinho a bit more freedom going forward.

Seeing that smug **** Frank getting riled up and throwing a bit of paddy at the end was very satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom