Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brayden Clarke

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Very disappointing in Brayden Clarke that after 7 years in Wolves' Academy and being selected for Wales U17 at age 15, the lad has decided to quit Wolves and is about to sign for Arsenal. Apparently we get £0 for having nurtured his talent for 7 years. Anyone know why this is allowed to happen, and why not a penny in 'compensation'?

I hope we are scouring the academies of other clubs for talent if this is allowed!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very disappointing in Brayden Clarke that after 7 years in Wolves' Academy and being selected for Wales U17 at age 15, the lad has decided to quit Wolves and is about to sign for Arsenal. Apparently we get £0 for having nurtured his talent for 7 years. Anyone know why this is allowed to happen, and why not a penny in 'compensation'?

I hope we are scouring the academies of other clubs for talent if this is allowed!

We poach from smaller academies and in turn we get poached by bigger academies. We have a place in the food chain which is nearer the top thankfully but they'll always be bigger clubs who have superior budgets and can offer more prestige too.

Hard not to get annoyed when we lose someone promising but imagine how all the smaller club's fans feel when we signed their promising youngsters.

Last edited:

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't understand why we don't get compensation unless we told him to go on a free

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It happens. We do it to smaller clubs so can't moan when it happens to us. Would expect a fee unless something else has occurred behind the scenes and we let him leave for free.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be heavily compensated if he does well as we are a category A academy. You can poach but you have to pay. Probably future sell on too.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been reading about it. Frustrating, but that's how things are now. It would be so satisfying to see players breaking into the first team who had been at the club since they were nine years old.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
If we did just 'let him go' (or 'kick him out') that would presumably EITHER be because we did not think he was going to make it (strange Wales & Arsenal think he might) OR because there is something not right in his attitude. If either is true, then we are are best saying 'cheerio' now rather than paying him to stay and not make it (like so many, I'm afraid...)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not necessarily. If he was offered a contract, but declined because he was aware of interest from bigger clubs, then he’d still become a free agent without us “letting him go”.
Except he's on year 1 of a 2yr scholarship

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rule change needed surely. Going to arsenal because they’ve offered him more wages a nice car and house. Iv heard these academy stories time and time again. Daniel Sturridge was classic case of this when he was younger in the academy of villa. All about the money villa, cov, man city crazy

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Rule change needed surely. Going to arsenal because they’ve offered him more wages a nice car and house. Iv heard these academy stories time and time again. Daniel Sturridge was classic case of this when he was younger in the academy of villa. All about the money villa, cov, man city crazy
How many of our academy have come from Man City?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many of our academy have come from Man City?
The point I was making. He is chasing money.

We all know we have a good relationship with Man City. Hodge, Griffiths over recent time. Could add Doyle and maybe McAtee soon first teamers but city academy

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand unless he is truly exceptional, why he would move to Arsenal. We literally had a kid on the bench last week, at Arsenal you have world class players blocking your way. Short sighted.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand unless he is truly exceptional, why he would move to Arsenal. We literally had a kid on the bench last week, at Arsenal you have world class players blocking your way. Short sighted.
He's obviously had some sort of falling out, thanked his former teamates but not coaches or the club on his instagram post

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon he'd probably take a boring career of 400+ games, mainly in the top 2 tiers in England, plus 16 international caps, if you offered him it just now ;) Not many achieve that!
5 premier league relegations to his name and I reckon I could have played for Scotland during that period. Let’s not pretend he was anything but awful

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There are financial limits on “gifts”’to entice a signing for academy players

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd settle for a career mostly at PL and Chump level and the pay to match thank you very much.....
I’m sure we all would as we don’t have the ability to do so. However if you did have the ability a career like Quashie’s isn’t exactly earth shattering is it? He does hold the record for most top flight relegations, im sure he’s super proud of that. Made Karl Henry look like Phil Foden

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
It's disappointing to loose an academy player to Arsenal at such an age.

I can't understand it for money reasons, it's not as if hes the breadwinner in the family, he'll have come from a comfortable life.

He's either had a falling out or he's just made keen on a switch to a 'bigger' club. He's still relatively young and there's a long way to go in development as a first team player.

Even if the richest of the Premier league are beyond what most of us can fathom it is still a short career and you can't deny players their dreams but, from the outside at least, it seems an odd move.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quashie has a couple of businesses has soccerzone in Lye, he runs his own football school IPDA from there, just opened a darts academy there. Think he’s involved in Boingzone too in Stourbridge, he’s still having to work fairly hard so who knows how well off he is.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quashie has a couple of businesses has soccerzone in Lye, he runs his own football school from there IPDA from there, just opened a darts academy there. Think he’s involved in Boingzone too in Stourbridge, he’s still having to work fairly hard so who knows how well off he is.
indeed. without sounding flippant, being a millionaire doesn’t mean you don’t have to work.
From experience those with money tend to spend it too!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
indeed. without sounding flippant, being a millionaire doesn’t mean you don’t have to work.
From experience those with money tend to spend it too!

Also isn’t it responsible to hustle to set up business that sustains you long term with fresh income to protect savings? Footballers are a long time retired.

Also those businesses if they do well can present opportunities and support to kids/family.

So fair play to him for everything he is doing outside the playing arena

Back
Top Bottom