Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Branch's Goal Vs Forest

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Who was our captain when Branch scored that goal against Forest?
Paul Simpson on Sky's Big Weekend has just said that Colin Lee ordered the team to concede a goal but the captain refused.
Apologies if this is common knowledge.

J

jbarnettuk1984

Muscat?

Can't remember but i was there and it was a cracking game. Specially seeing that $$$$ Dave Beasant get so wound up!

J

jbarnettuk1984

The starting line up was -
Oakes, Muscat, Curle, Pollet, Naylor, Bazely, Emblen, Sedgley, Sinton, Akinbiyi & Branch.

It was Curle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyhgO_WcgR0"]YouTube - Wolves vs Nottingham Forest 1999/2000 (Michael Branch goal!)[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Who was our captain when Branch scored that goal against Forest?
Paul Simpson on Sky's Big Weekend has just said that Colin Lee ordered the team to concede a goal but the captain refused.
Apologies if this is common knowledge.

What actually happened? Was it just that everyone had stopped after the tackle on Naylor?

Y

yatess

Seem to recall they put it out for Naylor to get treatment, we took throw & didn't give it back to them - Branch took it on & scored.:eek:
Shame about Beasant's blood press, tho....:D

T

T_Wheels

Beasant tried to throw the ball out when Naylor was lying injured. It never made touch so Branch got of hold of it, and stuck it in the net.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What actually happened? Was it just that everyone had stopped after the tackle on Naylor?

the ref didnt blow for the foul that injured naylor and so the forest keeper - dave beasant - went to kick the ball out of play to sportingly allow treatment; however he didnt kick it hard enough and the ball rolled off toward the sidelines but stayed in play, branch not realising the intention(?) saw the opportunity and ran onto the ball and then put it in the goal past the helpless beasant, prompting his rage

T

T_Wheels

Was there any action taken for the tackle on Naylor? From what I remember, it looked a nasty one, studs up.

W

Welsh Y'am Y'am

hahahaha i had forgotten about that game - $$$$ing quality thread lads for so many reasons:

1. Ade being a $$$$ing nutta and going in for a butt after only 4 mins - quality
2. Ludo and that lad wrestling off the ball, with the Forest player eventually giving up, allowing Ludo to score the header.
3. Stunning strike by Bazeley
4. Unbelievable that the ref didn't give a free kick for the foul on Naylor
5. Unbelievable that Branch didn't just let the ball run out of play
6. Unbelievable that Branch simply got the ball, ran at Beasant and scored
7. Beasant's reaction (I'm sure we'd all react the same way!)
8. Our ridiculous central midfield - Sedgely (a has-been centre half) and Emblen (a never-was centre half)
9. The crazy commentary!

Made my evening this has, it's weird some of the things one forgets over time.

C

caradon wolf

There was also a humorous postscript to this the next season. Beasant (playing for a different club - can't remember who) was in possession of the ball with a player down injured. With the previous season's event in mind, he pointedly drop kicked the ball into the top tier of the Billy Wright. The ref booked him!

W

wolvesman

Branch didn't have a clue that Naylor was crocked and he thought Beasant had just fluffed his attempted clearance.

No way....Branch knew exactly what had happened and made a terrible error of judgement, which I think he never recovered from mentally. He actualy pointed to Beasant to encourage him to kick the ball out of play.
A game never to be forgotten. The second half never happened, as a football game, after a police visit to both changing rooms at half time.
Never understood the abuse Beasant got over it. He had every right to be somewhat angry. A memorable act of stupidity and unsporting behaviour.

D

dazmanwolf

Cracking game that one. I was there and remember it so vividly. Made me chuckle, but effectively ended Branch's career at Molineux. He was so confused the poor bloke. :D

K

Kenny-11

No way....Branch knew exactly what had happened .

That will be why he said he had no idea what Beasant was trying to do, and also explain the confused look on his face when Beasant was in his face then

W

wolvesman

That will be why he said he had no idea what Beasant was trying to do, and also explain the confused look on his face when Beasant was in his face then

To quote Mandy Rice Davies.."he would say that wouldn't he"
The confused look was sheer embarrassment.
Any ideas why he signalled to Beasant to kick the ball out of play?
which I and hundreds more saw?
Your earlier statement of a miss kicked clearance is good for a laugh anyway.

J

jbarnettuk1984

No way....Branch knew exactly what had happened and made a terrible error of judgement, which I think he never recovered from mentally. He actualy pointed to Beasant to encourage him to kick the ball out of play.
A game never to be forgotten. The second half never happened, as a football game, after a police visit to both changing rooms at half time.
Never understood the abuse Beasant got over it. He had every right to be somewhat angry. A memorable act of stupidity and unsporting behaviour.

Apart from his initial reaction, i think most of the abuse was down to the fact that, later in the half, there was another break in play, and Dave Beasant made a point of walking from his own box to the half way line where Branch was waiting for play to resume to have yet, another go at the lad, when he had already been told to leave it.

Branch made an error in judgement but Beasant was the reason the situation got so out of hand. The bloke is a complete and utter $$$$er and i, for one, am pleased we wopped them that day.

R

Reach For The Sky

To quote Mandy Rice Davies.."he would say that wouldn't he"
The confused look was sheer embarrassment.
Any ideas why he signalled to Beasant to kick the ball out of play?
which I and hundreds more saw?

Could Branch possibly have been calling on his team mates to mark the Forest players to his right when Beasant cleared the ball? That's what it looked like when viewed from behind Branch.

D

duanepipe

Was a great game. Vaughan got a red card for nothing more than receiving a head butt. Akinbiyi, in an effort to somehow disguise what he had just done made a futile attempt to keep Vaughan on his feet by putting his hands round his throat. Branch did signal to Beasant to play it out, but the reason there was some hostility in the air at that point is because there was already a Forest player down at the time, Forest had possession and they refused to play the ball out, as soon as Naylor went down, Beasant did try to kick it out - but he didn't do it decisively. It was really bad sportsmanship but it was in the heat of one of the most aggressive games I can remember. Harewood should also have got a red card in that game and Forest should have finished up with 8 men.

Amazing looking at the team though that we used to pretend like we had a chance of getting promoted. Journeymen a plenty.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Branch was never the same player after that game....

I was at the game with a Forest mate of mine. Had a great laugh driving back home in the car with him after the game. Got on 606 that night to talk about it as well. Seem to remember the second half was a non event though.

W

wolvesman

He did miskick it. He was at most ten yards from the touchline and failed to reach it.

Absolute rubbish..he had total control of the ball, and responded to Branch's call to kick the ball out of play. I liked Branch, but this totally avoidable incident wrecked his confidence and he was never the same man afterwards. We were close to where Branch was standing at the time and saw it all.
Wolves player or not..it was a disgraceful incident, and we would be outraged if the shoe had been on the other foot.

W

wolvesman

Was a great game. Branch did signal to Beasant to play it out, Beasant did try to kick it out - but he didn't do it decisively. It was really bad sportsmanship but it was in the heat of one of the most aggressive games I can remember.
Amazing looking at the team though that we used to pretend like we had a chance of getting promoted. Journeymen a plenty.

Thanks duanepipe..thats as it was.

K

Kenny-11

Actually you're right, for a normal keeper it was a miss kick, for Beasant, the salad creamed club footed $$$$er, it was a normal kick.

W

wolvesman

Actually you're right, for a normal keeper it was a miss kick, for Beasant, the salad creamed club footed $$$, it was a normal kick.

You seem to fail to understand it wasn't a clearance. At Branches request he tried to put the ball out of play so an injured player could receive treatment. Under these circumstances he didn't need to clear the Billy Wright stand. He simply stroked the ball towards Branch, who simply should have allowed it to go out of play. The player is treated, and a Wolves player simply throws the ball back into play in the Forest area. All very sporting and a well known procedure.
Everyone near me who saw and heard what happened close up were under no illusion as to what really happened, despite the red hot atmosphere.
Whatever you think of Beasant isn't really the issue. What happened at this time was not down to him.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the North Bank that day and another recollection I have is of Andy Sinton, dribbling through the middle of the pitch, he invited one tackle too many and the Forest player attempted to scythe him down. Sinton rode the challenge and the ball ran off towards where I was sitting. Sinton got up and trotted over to retrieve the ball for a free kick, and gave us all a smile and wink as he did so!

What a first 45 that was! Still don't know why Vaughan got sent off.

Thanks for the vid... happy days!

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love Ludos schoolboy error in his celebration - the old missed handshake.

L

Langdale Wolf

Are you watching this, Mr Iwelumo??

THAT'S how you headbutt someone!!!

QUALITY clip. Blimey, you wonder why Forest don't hate us after that game!

B

Bevan

God knows how their player got sent off. He did absolutely sod all.

No. 7 George Bowen

Reaction score
I liked Michael Branch but I have never seen someone so nervous in post match interviews. I can well believe his confidence took a fatal knock from that incident.

Joke sending off for Vaughan and I didn't realise what a thug Panikbiyi was. What a poor team full of journeymen, the appointment of Colin Lee was real mistake and an unfortunate statement of intent. Only finally got it right with Mick did old Sir Jack, God bless the old codger.

Swedish TV always great for English football. Used to like watching their version of Soccer Saturday where they showed the goal rather than having a matchday reporter attempt or not in the case od Chris Kamara describe it. Fowler's hatrick against Arsenal is forever etched in my mind.

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there as well, but somehow I did not remember Akinbikinis sending off.
I cant believe I could forget THAT, too much beer I think or brain cells seriously deteriorating rapidly !!

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
sitting opposite the incident in the sb, we were aware of naylor being chopped down and beasant kicking the ball to the touch line which clearly wasnt going out of play. the way i remember it was branch started to run toward the ball, looked at the ref who waved play on. branch then took the ball up to beasant , who was trying to indicate that he had attempted to put the ball out so naylor could have treatment. with the akinbiyi incident i thought we were down to ten men and never thought for a moment vaughan, who stayed down for what seemed a long time would be dismissed for a bit of verbals.

R

Rabid Wolf

If i remember correctly Branch was upset about it and was subbed at half time, Like others have said he was never the same after that game. :(

M

Mr Wolf

You all say it was a poor sending off for Vaughan but maybe the ref heard what he called Akinbye.

Looking back Branch just did not understand, you can tell from his reaction. It has made for some very good games with Forest down the years though.

The very next season Chris Bart-Williams refused to give us the ball back when we had kicked it out and it all kicked off again. I think 2 of their players got sent off. I'm sure the German one can tell us more.

W

wolvesman

sitting opposite the incident in the sb, we were aware of naylor being chopped down and beasant kicking the ball to the touch line which clearly wasnt going out of play. the way i remember it was branch started to run toward the ball, looked at the ref who waved play on. branch then took the ball up to beasant , who was trying to indicate that he had attempted to put the ball out so naylor could have treatment.

wallace.. the whole point of this incident is that we saw and heard Branch signal to Beasant to put the ball out of play. The ball never got to the line in front of the BW simply because Branch intercepted it and ran back at Beasant and slotted it in.
After all this time I cant think what Branch was thinking of..it was madness and one of the most unsporting actions I have ever witnessed. Being a Wolves fan cant change our view of what happened and in my view Beasant's furious but understandable reaction. It's like reacting to a white flag and then being shot at you when you stand up to talk.:eek:

Deutsch Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The very next season Chris Bart-Williams refused to give us the ball back when we had kicked it out and it all kicked off again. I think 2 of their players got sent off. I'm sure the German one can tell us more.

2-0 win, one of their two red cards was for a ridiculous off the ball foul. Proudlock got our second goal.

I'll let wolvesman fill in the rest of the gaps as he's clearly Dave Beasant or a remorseful Michael Branch, seeing as he's so sure what happened in a game played over eight years ago.

K

Kenny-11

You seem to fail to understand it wasn't a clearance. At Branches request he tried to put the ball out of play so an injured player could receive treatment. Under these circumstances he didn't need to clear the Billy Wright stand. He simply stroked the ball towards Branch, who simply should have allowed it to go out of play. The player is treated, and a Wolves player simply throws the ball back into play in the Forest area. All very sporting and a well known procedure.
Everyone near me who saw and heard what happened close up were under no illusion as to what really happened, despite the red hot atmosphere.
Whatever you think of Beasant isn't really the issue. What happened at this time was not down to him.

I hope in 2016 I can remember an incident from 2008 as clearly as this. I bow down to your superior memory

M

Mr Wolf

2-0 win, one of their two red cards was for a ridiculous off the ball foul. Proudlock got our second goal.

Cheers

I remember there was talk about C B-Williams possibly joining us at one time but the fans sort of revolted after that incident.

What happened this season ;)

W

wolvesman

I hope in 2016 I can remember an incident from 2008 as clearly as this. I bow down to your superior memory

Kenny..such a rare incident closely observed (by others as well) at the time.
Glad we won anyway.. cheers;)

Back
Top Bottom