Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bradford City fire

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can remember this as well, was only a youngster but it was a real wtf moment

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Like others on here, watched in disbelief as it all unfolded live on TV. It almost seemed surreal. I can still picture some of the individual figures that were caught up in it. Stayed with me for a long time. Can't imagine they would carry on with the live pictures now as they did then (as they did with Hillsborough).

Saw a moving documentary on it recently. Seen interviews with both Terry Yorath (Bradford manager at the time) and Gabby Logan (Terry's daughter) also there at the time to witness it. Yorath openly admits that he has never really coped with the tragedies of that day and also his son dying aged 15 years old a number of years later. RIP to the 56 who lost their lives and love to their friends and family. No one should go to a football match and not come home.

20230511_174807.jpg

Dragonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was living in Lincoln back then for a few years and used to go to their home games. My mates persuaded me to go to that game but luckily I had to work instead. The lads who went were sorry they did. RIP

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at Blackburn watching us get thumped 3-0 that day. Couldnt believe it when i heard the news. We had so many football disasters that seemed to happen every few months back then. Tragic.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a smoker, quitting soon for the last god knows how many years, but I can't believe where we/they used to be able to smoke: wooden stands / stands with combustible material beneath, underground stations etc. Such an awful tragedy, and so avoidable. Arguably more avoidable than the tragic shambles at Hillsborough, not that that particularly matters.

The first edition Simon Inglis football grounds book makes awful reading re ground safety and the state of our grounds at that time, post-Bradford / pre-Hillsborough.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A terrible day that is still remembered in Bradford and Lincoln. The worst thing is that there had been warnings about the danger in sports stadiums, sadly it took the Bradford tragedy for anything to be done.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah it was a truly awful day for football related tragedies. Both the Bradford fire and young Leeds supporter dying were both avoidable for entirely different reasons.
Like night and day comparing the modern day football experience to the 1980’s.
Thoughts go out to anyone connected to either of the above tragedies.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember switching on the TV to catch up with the scores etc. then cameras going to Bradford and the realization of just what was going on and watching the horror unfold. Terrible tragedy.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible tragedy. Remember it unfolding live. As mentioned it needed these horrible events to make it safe. Like hills borough these events made it safer forever. Seeing that picture and watching videos later on the events really brought it back. RIP to all those who lost their lives - football should never be like that.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Club I am the Open Age Manager of (Howden Clough FC) have a trophy named after one of the junior managers died that day.
He took his son to the game and his son survived which is a gracious mercy.
Peter Fletcher was his name.
RIP to those that went to a Football match and never came home

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds lad died at St Andrew's riot the same day. Grounds were just left to rot, and the working class treated like scum.
And now largely priced out of the game.

He died because of a surge due to mass trouble, but also because the ground was a crumbling mess.

Howlin’ Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I will never forget John Helm’s commentary, still haunting now. I seem to remember watching this at home, not sure where Wolves were that day but will never forget being at Aldershot hearing about Hillsborough and then listening to the horror on the radio on our way home.

Back
Top Bottom