Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have just seen this on Netflix, it's a sports documentary of the highest calibre and it's hard not to be moved by the life that he lived and the testaments from some of the best people in the game, long before Lineker says that Robson is the best English manager of all time, we've heard from OG Ronaldo, Mourinho, Guardiola, Gascoigne, Shearer and Ferguson saying just how influential he was.

Managed some of the greatest players of all time and developed them into the players and managers that they are today. It's just a passing shot, but the night at Wembley when Bull and Gascoigne tore apart Czechoslovakia is summed up with a lovely picture of the dynamic duo together and followed up with a run to the WC semi-final.

He had a knack of bringing the best out in players and it would be great to hear what Bull had thought of him, but he's not in the documentary. At any rate, Bull can be proud to have worked with such a wonderful manager and a great man, who is truly revered throughout the game and beyond.

Worth a watch if you can slot it in over the Christmas period.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched it about a month ago and it’s worth watching. Great in parts but a bit disjointed sometimes and needed a better narrative. 7/10.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember nearly being run over by the car Robson was in when he came to watch Bully at Molineux!

Even though he played for the stripey pursuasion, great bloke!

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sir Bobby was a great man and loved by most, if not all, in the football world. Another who was cruelly hounded by the media when he was England manager. He was a true gent and a legend.

One of the saddest things is the footage of him being wheeled out at St James Park one final time when ravaged by cancer and then switching to those wonderful times in Italia 90 as he celebrated on the touchline and Gazza crying when told that Sir Bobby asked after the game how he (Gazza) had played.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno learned from working with Mourinho, who learned from working with Robson. We owe him.

Not many former managers are as universally loved as Bobby. Always came across as a lovely bloke too - not something you always get with successful people.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was a very special man and a wonderful human being. The ripple effect of his good will and loving intentions will continue to effect the world for generations to come. He really was put on this earth for a reason and boy did he deliver. Loved him to bits.
This in spades.

He was a wonderful human being and an example to all that good guys really can be a success in football, and life in general.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great man and a great England manager.

I remember him when Newcastle played us in the F A Cup at Molineux when we had Dave Jones as manager. He came on to the pitch before kick off and spent time talking to all the groundsmen who were looking after the pitch. He shook all their hands and looked as if he could have stayed for ages. It was a brilliant game which we won 3-2. They had Alan Shearer and other big guns at the time but we held on after being 2-0 up and they pegged it back to
2-2 before we got the winner.

Bobby played football the right way and entertained us. He was one man I would have loved to meet and spend hours chatting with. Sadly missed.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I keep meaning to watch it.
Over the festivities I'll put it on.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great man and manager. Was walking around Wembley with me bro before the ‘Bully and Gascoigne’ game against Czechoslovakia, when from out of a side door walked Bobby Robson. We had a nice little chat with him ... mainly with us extolling Bully’s virtues! A true gent.

D

Deleted member 5276

That Ipswich team he built were fantastic and ever since I've always had a soft spot for them. The 78 FA Cup Final where Roger Osborne scored the winner is still fresh in my memory and I absolutely loved watching them play as long as it wasn't against us. They had everything apart from a really top class goalkeeper. Cooper, Burley, Beattie, Hunter, Mills, Osborne, Wark, Mariner, Geddis and Woods - I can still name them and then Bobby made them even better to win the UEFA Cup with the signings of Muhren and Thijssen and blooding players like Brazil and Butcher.

His period of time with England wasn't a huge success until the World Cup where he showed he was prepared to gamble a little by taking Bully. Other managers wouldn't have done that but he was also was prepared to throw Platt in and essentially make his career.

A great football manager and wonderful human being. Kind, considerate but not afraid to stand by what he thought was right. He took over at Ipswich when McGarry left to join us and that was arguably the best time in their history as they were always at the top of the league. OK, they won it for the only time in 61-62 but under Robson they came in as Runners Up twice playing some really great stuff and were always a team that were in with a shout of winning honours. Sad to see what has become of them since.

Thanks for the link to the documentary. Will give it a watch.

D

Deleted member 5276

Managed to watch it and the one thing that strikes me above everything else he achieved is how he became a father figure to Gazza. I dare say, but for him, that Gazza would have died a long time ago. The part that Gazza relates about Robson calling him twice a week to check he was OK is very revealing and shows what an amazing human being Robson was. It's one thing to be respected in the football world but another entirely to be respected as a wonderful human being.

The film also highlights the key role Robson played in other careers and how he mentored so many that are now leading lights in the game. As he said, football managers are never really appreciated until they are gone. So it is.

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched it. Just highlights what a great man he was, had time for everyone and is shown by the legends that gave the time to be interviewed for this film.
Some fantastic achievements as a manager and a pioneer.
The team he managed at Barcelona, what an unbelievable side!!

Back
Top Bottom