Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Blue Card

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder what will happen if it’s the Goalkeeper with cynical foul or dissent. Will a team have to play 10 minutes with no goalie?
Presumably an outfield player will have to go in goal (or be substituted by the back up goalie if really late in the game).

NJ Wolves

Reaction score
Convinced this is a distraction tactic to stop us talking about VAR. they know this will fail, trial it for a season then they’ll scrap it, expect our gratitude…all the while var is clumsily continuing to trudge along in the background.

Also…have they said what happens to a goalkeeper if they’re sin binned?
In hockey when the goalie gets a penalty one of the "skaters" (i.e., outfield players) serves the penalty for them

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is this Americanising the game exactly?
In my view to Americaise anything means it's get changed regardless of any historical value .
In American football for example teams disappear, names change, rules change and things change to maximise incomes and its accepted . In the UK we don't accept that crap so easily

NJ Wolves

Reaction score
In my view to Americaise anything means it's get changed regardless of any historical value .
In American football for example teams disappear, names change, rules change and things change to maximise incomes and its accepted . In the UK we don't accept that crap so easily
I see. Well it's ****, whatever you want to call it

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it also work like a yellow?

Because I can see the argument for more punishment on fouls that are clearly just trying to stop teams play on the counter. Where the player will take the yellow card for the team as they say. Red card would be too harsh but a yellow 9/10 doesn’t affect the rest of the game.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, would rather this than the pathetic red cards we see every single week now. The problem of course is the morons will screw up the basics of implementing it.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is this Americanising the game exactly?

Also don't understand why 'Americanising' has to be a negative. When it comes to running sports they are light years ahead of our complete and utter shambles.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, would rather this than the pathetic red cards we see every single week now. The problem of course is the morons will screw up the basics of implementing it.

For me, like VAR it could improve the game. The issue like you say, the morons running them. Simple changes could make it all run so much better. Like buggering off the clear and obvious and just look to get the right decision.

We all know, Bruno Fernandes will be giving the ref grief all game, but then we’ll get sombody sent to the bin first time they get annoyed with a decision

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can players these days sit there for 10 mins and return full pelt? maybe injuries will rise as a result.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Also don't understand why 'Americanising' has to be a negative. When it comes to running sports they are light years ahead of our complete and utter shambles.
Hard to tell if it is "sports" or entertainment/shows in America these days, as the commercials breaks seem to be more important than the games?

I also remember that during the Salt Lake City Olympics Ice-Hockey tournament the European spectators in the arena got fed up with locals who constantly walked back and forth from their seats during the match to get hotdogs/ hamburgers/ drinks/ snacks/ whatever.
Totally ruining the game...

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With VAR and all these stupid rules, which a lot of us don’t understand, there’s going to be 2 referees and 4 llinesmen (sorry, assistant referees) needed soon!

Football should be about entertainment but it is being ruined.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who determines what a tactical foul it? For me, Arsenal and City commit one almost everytime the opponent wins the ball in defence; there’s a clip or a slight nudge that gives away a foul but is never deemed as a bookable offence.

It’s just a crap idea which would just ruin the game. The people at the top of fifa and uefa are so keen so build a legacy and keep getting voted in to their position and all its perks that they keep having to introduce some form of change.

Just leave it as it is.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
They keep chipping away at my love for the game but the problem is we live in a world where people want to keep changing things just for the sake of it. I also sometimes wonder if the younger generation love all this VAR **** and extra substitutions etc as it means there is more going on and it's mainly us older ones that would be happy to just go back to how it was.
If it wasn't for the Gold and Black running through my veins I don't think it would take much more for me to just give up on the game.

fleck1

Reaction score
I don't mind the idea of it, them cynical fouls when you break away or beat a man and they just drag a player down to deny an attacking opportunity. But I also liked the idea of VAR until these clowns got their hands on it, we know it wont be implemented or used fairly which just adds to the current issues.

rubyloo

Reaction score
As we wildly celebrated Lemina's last minute winner against spurs, most of us were thinking the exact same thing: this has been incredible - the only thing that could have improved it would have been a couple of blue cards during the game.

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
just get rid of var or get it right...how is this and 1000 new rules (when the ref apply the rules as they please now or dont understand them) going to help anything ?!

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
How about if the ref and the people in charge of our game actually grew a pair and issued a straight red card for dissent. I reckon within 2 weeks clubs would soon get the message when they are down to 9 or 10 players for a game or 2.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
All because the refs don’t have the gonads to book players who show dissent.

Fixing something that wasn’t broken
If they don't have the gonads to book them, they won't be sin binning them though. Dissent has been massively reduced in the PL this season IMO, all it took was more use of yellows. Even Bruno was quite quiet last week and actually playing rather than reffing as well.

Reaction score
So if say its the 10th minute and Tarkowski has pulled Netos shirt as he’s about to race past him on the counter, would that only be a blue card and 10 mins in the sin bin? Or would a yellow be issued aswell? Because I’d want him on yellow card for the next 80 minutes rather than sitting in a bin for 10mins

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if say its the 10th minute and Tarkowski has pulled Netos shirt as he’s about to race past him on the counter, would that only be a blue card and 10 mins in the sin bin? Or would a yellow be issued aswell? Because I’d want him on yellow card for the next 80 minutes rather than sitting in a bin for 10mins
If he got a blue card they've said that either a subsequent yellow or another blue card would result in a red card.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they don't have the gonads to book them, they won't be sin binning them though. Dissent has been massively reduced in the PL this season IMO, all it took was more use of yellows. Even Bruno was quite quiet last week and actually playing rather than reffing as well.

If a City/Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool player is on a yellow, and they give the ref a verbal volley he wouldn’t have the minerals to show the second yellow. we see it week in, week out.

25 years ago a law was introduced stating that refs could bring the ball forward 10 yards when dissent was shown. That’s a much better way of dealing with it. Automatic yellow and move the attacking team 10’ yards up the pitch.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because American sport is a stultifyingly dull, 3+ hours of stop-start, set-play based rubbish? Another break in play, gives us time to go to our sponsors, Bud Light...

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can players these days sit there for 10 mins and return full pelt? maybe injuries will rise as a result.
They don't have to stay still. In rugby they have an exercise bike on the touchline. I can't see that happening in football, but there's nothing to stop them warming up.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I havent seen exactly the detail behind it but it seems to me that its just increasing the effect of a yellow
If they will be sent off for 2 blues or a blue and a yellow
Im not totally against it for professional/cynical fouls as they put it,but for dissent it could be a minefield
Surely the introduction of a rugby style move the free kick ten yards up field for dissent would be more effective in this case
You never see dissent in rugby,or very rarely as they know what happens,its a straight forward punishment for a specific offence simple
In its present form Referees are potentially in a position to send several players off the field which could have huge consequences and is totally subjective

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If a City/Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool player is on a yellow, and they give the ref a verbal volley he wouldn’t have the minerals to show the second yellow. we see it week in, week out.

25 years ago a law was introduced stating that refs could bring the ball forward 10 yards when dissent was shown. That’s a much better way of dealing with it. Automatic yellow and move the attacking team 10’ yards up the pitch.
How many times has the 10 yard rule been enforced I wonder. Can't recall it ever.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure about the opposition to this. I think sin bins for professional fouls, dissent, etc. are a good idea. Only thing I'm not sure about is under what circumstances a ref would feel the need to issue a second blue card? If blue+yellow=red and blue+blue=red it would be irrelevant as it carries no greater influence than the yellow in that scenario.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t see indirect free kicks anymore either. Let’s bring back the exciting elements of the game!?

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How many times has the 10 yard rule been enforced I wonder. Can't recall it ever.
I've only ever seen it used in Rugby once and that was in the World Cup semi-final against South Africa. I've watched quite a bit of rugby over many years and I didn't even know it was a rule until that match.

I didn't know it was ever a rule in football.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was introduced for 4 years i think in 2000 but FIFA scrapped it
Defensive teams started committing minor fouls to get the free kick moved to the edge of the area thus stopping Beckham et al from scoring those 25/30 yard free kicks although it didnt always work
It was used several times but gradually faded and was scrapped in 2004 by FIFA

Mr Chad

Groupie
Reaction score
I've only ever seen it used in Rugby once and that was in the World Cup semi-final against South Africa. I've watched quite a bit of rugby over many years and I didn't even know it was a rule until that match.

I didn't know it was ever a rule in football.

I think the 10-yard thing in football was rescinded because defending teams were actually able to use it to their advantage. If a free kick was awarded in a dangerous position, say 25 yards out, the defenders would deliberatley get it moved 10 yards forwards, so that it would be impossible to get the ball over the wall and down again.

Edit: Black Country Wanderer beat me to it - must improve my typing speed :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom