Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Billy Kellock - R.I.P.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was sad to hear that Billy Kellock had passed away aged 70. Although he played most of his games in the lower divisions, Graham Hawkins brought him to Molineux from Luton Town as the final cog in the team that got promoted back to the first division in 1982/83.

Although he only played a dozen or so games for Wolves, scoring three goals, he was popular with the fans as he was a bit of a character.

R.I.P Billy Kellock - once a wolf, always a wolf.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was sad to hear that Billy Kellock had passed away aged 70. Although he played most of his games in the lower divisions, Graham Hawkins brought him to Molineux from Luton Town as the final cog in the team that got promoted back to the first division in 182/83.

Although he only played a dozen or so games for Wolves, scoring three goals, he was popular with the fans as he was a bit of a character.

R.I.P Billy Kellock - once a wolf, always a wolf.
Well said, Frank.

RIP Billy Kellock. Thoughts and prayers to all family and friends.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a pre-teen starting puberty, I was as avid a Wolves fan back then, as I’ve ever been since, but sadly, I don’t remember him.
Sad times when old players pass and at only 70. As a kid I used to think 60 was old. Now in my early 50’s, 70 is just around the corner.
RIP Billy Kellock.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Billy. Did he score a hat trick away at Charlton when we clinched promotion. We were 3-0 up if I remember correctly.
He scored 2 that day I think.

Was a popular character at Wolves

RIP

Billy got 2 with Mel Eves scoring the other. Billy's other goal was at The Baseball Ground in a 1-1 draw on March 12th.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a pre-teen starting puberty, I was as avid a Wolves fan back then, as I’ve ever been since, but sadly, I don’t remember him.
Sad times when old players pass and at only 70. As a kid I used to think 60 was old. Now in my early 50’s, 70 is just around the corner.
RIP Billy Kellock.
As a general rule of thumb "old" is always at least 10 years over your current age lol.... I hit the big 6-oh in December and am definitely feeling a tad creaky.....

RIP Billy. I must admit that hearing his name announced always made me think of breakfast.....

Last edited:

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He scored 2 that day I think.

Was a popular character at Wolves

RIP
That's right. We were 3-0 up at half time and drew 3-3. As we only needed a point we were still promoted, but of all the promotions I've seen, that was the most low key (on a par with Newport away). The players just came over at the end to applaud like they do now, then everyone went home. Not like nowadays.

RIP Billy. When you're 66, 70 seems a very young age to pass away :(

JR’s Boots

Groupie
Reaction score
That's right. We were 3-0 up at half time and drew 3-3. As we only needed a point we were still promoted, but of all the promotions I've seen, that was the most low key (on a par with Newport away). The players just came over at the end to applaud like they do now, then everyone went home. Not like nowadays.

I remember running on the pitch that day with several hundred others. However you were right in the sense it ws quite muted compared to now. Also saw Billy's goal at the Baseball Ground. RIP.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure there was a pitch invasion at the end of the match on that day at the Valley.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there was a pitch invasion at the end of the match on that day at the Valley.
There may well have been, I forget :)
I do remember it being fairly low key though, possibly because it was a bit of an anti-climax after being 3-0 up and possibly because we had missed out on winning the league to QPR, who we had quite an advantage over at Christmas.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Billy. Did he score a hat trick away at Charlton when we clinched promotion. We were 3-0 up if I remember correctly.
Definitely scored at least one. I was standing on that famous side terracing which made the rest of the ground look ridiculously tiny.

Charlton nearly won that game, despite us being three up.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There may well have been, I forget :)
I do remember it being fairly low key though, possibly because it was a bit of an anti-climax after being 3-0 up and possibly because we had missed out on winning the league to QPR, who we had quite an advantage over at Christmas.

Wolves got belted 5-0 at Leicester on Saturday Feb 26th and really spluttered over the line after that. Including the Filbert Street stuffing Wolves played 15 won 3 drew an incredible 10 games and lost 2. The goals also dried up with only 15 scored in those 15 games. As today's sad thread mentioned Billy got three of them so he was responsible for 20% of Wolves goals in the run in.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves got belted 5-0 at Leicester on Saturday Feb 26th and really spluttered over the line after that. Including the Filbert Street stuffing Wolves played 15 won 3 drew an incredible 10 games and lost 2. The goals also dried up with only 15 scored in those 15 games. As today's sad thread mentioned Billy got three of them so he was responsible for 20% of Wolves goals in the run in.
I went to all 42 league games that season. I've had about 4 or 5 seasons where I missed 1 game but that season was the only time I managed every game.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure one of those wins was a 1-0 midweek win over Sheffield Wednesday too with Burridge saving at least one penalty, may have been 2, or maybe the same one retaken, memory is failing me :tearsofjoy:

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was sad to hear that Billy Kellock had passed away aged 70. Although he played most of his games in the lower divisions, Graham Hawkins brought him to Molineux from Luton Town as the final cog in the team that got promoted back to the first division in 1982/83. Although he only played a dozen or so games for Wolves, scoring three goals, he was popular with the fans as he was a bit of a character. R.I.P Billy Kellock - once a wolf, always a wolf.
Yes remember him well, seemed a class player that never really full filed his potential, watched him in non league football before joining Orient and Wolves.

RIP Billy.

Back
Top Bottom