Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Billericay in the fa cup today

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Billericay mercenaries were playing Thamesmead town today at Dartford where Thamesmead groundshare.
Kevin Foley and Jermain Pennant started for Billericay, Modeste and Jamie
O'hara were on the bench.
Billericay scored early but the Mead equalised to force a replay
I enjoyed the game along with 433 hardy souls
Despite having a lot of highly paid players in the Billericay squad
There was little difference between the teams IMO
By the way O'Hara did not come off the bench .

S

Shifnal Wolf

Always rated Foley and thought he did a good job for us.

O'Hara was awful and should have never been signed and and Penants loan was dire, I don't think he took on a single player in his whole time with us!

I believe they are on £3k a week, you would think their chairman could find better players than those 2.

M

merseawolf

They really are a bit of a joke in these parts. Very rarely will a bloke pumping money into a tinpot non-league team lead to any long term success. Braintree and Chelmsford have a good chance of progressing up the pyramid. I predict Billericay will soon end up struggling when the owner and players get bored of it.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They really are a bit of a joke in these parts. Very rarely will a bloke pumping money into a tinpot non-league team lead to any long term success. Braintree and Chelmsford have a good chance of progressing up the pyramid. I predict Billericay will soon end up struggling when the owner and players get bored of it.

Billericay were always a very well respected and well run club in local non league football, never a tin pot club as you say, but as you say have been made a bit of a joke in these parts, I do hope they come out of this still intact when this fella has long gone.

I think Chelmsford City are the team to watch now with there connections with Chelmsford City Racecourse and there owners,
unless Mersea Island have signed Messi and Ronaldo over night lol.

M

merseawolf

Billericay were always a very well respected and well run club in local non league football, never a tin pot club as you say, but as you say have been made a bit of a joke in these parts, I do hope they come out of this still intact when this fella has long gone.

I think Chelmsford City are the team to watch now with there connections with Chelmsford City Racecourse and there owners,
unless Mersea Island have signed Messi and Ronaldo over night lol.
No mate Mersea have been and always will be a well run community club and always manage to produce enough good youngsters to support the senior teams. No disrespect intended to Billericay and 'tinpot' was probably the wrong word but they have never been one of the more succesfull local teams even compared to Tiptree and Heybridge in recent years. They simply in my opinion will never attract enough support to sustain competing at a higher level and this publicity stunt will end in tears.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No mate Mersea have been and always will be a well run community club and always manage to produce enough good youngsters to support the senior teams. No disrespect intended to Billericay and 'tinpot' was probably the wrong word but they have never been one of the more succesfull local teams even compared to Tiptree and Heybridge in recent years. They simply in my opinion will never attract enough support to sustain competing at a higher level and this publicity stunt will end in tears.

agree Mersea has always been a great community club and great memories of them in our local non league over the years, its a shame these ego tripping fools cant just leave football clubs to football minded folk.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Foley is a snake.

I know you won't have made this comment lightly NNW so what is the story? I know everyone seemed to think he undermined Stale, but then when Stale went and signed him so I assumed that this was rubbish. It's certainly not great company he's keeping now. Such a shame when he was Mr Consistent for us for so long.

M

merseawolf

agree Mersea has always been a great community club and great memories of them in our local non league over the years, its a shame these ego tripping fools cant just leave football clubs to football minded folk.
Its been a battle at times to keep The Island going at times and often local politics get involved but its a great club that my family have been involved with for 50 years now and is and has been a big part of our lives. Still love it up there even though at 48 i cant even get in the Vets team now!

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have known of their owner for some years, No way does his 'material' wealth come from his steel 'empire' his accounts show he goes out of business every 5 minutes.
I'm watching the situation with amazed interest wondering how long it can continue. He even claims to have died and met Jesus and done a deal wiv im ......http://www.essexlifemag.co.uk/peopl...n-shares-his-fascinating-life-story-1-5181367

Interesting read and someone who had a tough upbringing to go on and make a success. Adds some character to the game. Wish them well. But can see it ending in tears.

D

Deleted member 4594

I have known of their owner for some years, No way does his 'material' wealth come from his steel 'empire' his accounts show he goes out of business every 5 minutes.
I'm watching the situation with amazed interest wondering how long it can continue. He even claims to have died and met Jesus and done a deal wiv im ......http://www.essexlifemag.co.uk/peopl...n-shares-his-fascinating-life-story-1-5181367
Iv got a fair idea where his money comes from. They are a disaster waiting to happen.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Foley was one of the best we've had at letting a winger get a cross in. Never saw the fuss with him and I went every week back then.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Foley was one of the best we've had at letting a winger get a cross in. Never saw the fuss with him and I went every week back then.

Always remember him backing off and backing off from Jonas Gutierrez at Newcastle,led to 3 goals against.

T

turner845

O'Hara was awful and should have never been signed and and Penants loan was dire, I don't think he took on a single player in his whole time with us!

I believe they are on £3k a week, you would think their chairman could find better players than those 2.
I remember him doing it once and getting to the byline and actually putting in a decent cross into a dangerous area, only for Solbakken to stand there *******ing him, indicating for him to play a pass inside and make sure we keep the ball. This was typical of Solbakken's low tempo possession based game which was ultimately his failure.

Care to expand on this?

I'm guessing its something to do with him being one of the players who didn't really like working under Stale and then joined him at another club? Might be completely wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Interesting comments ,I watch non league when I can't get to the mol and in Kent where I live there are several well run clubs .
It is very much horses for courses in non league and in my experience HAS BEENS very rarely succeed ,
a lot of them are just looking for a final payday.
As for the Billericay experiment .......I wouldn't put money on it.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting comments ,I watch non league when I can't get to the mol and in Kent where I live there are several well run clubs .
It is very much horses for courses in non league and in my experience HAS BEENS very rarely succeed ,
a lot of them are just looking for a final payday.
As for the Billericay experiment .......I wouldn't put money on it.

I agree Kentish Wolf with all you say .I also add its people like Merseawolf and his family that are the real deal in our football structure with little or no rewards, hard work behind the scenes and just the folk we need in football,
then comes along the "I need to get my name out there in lights owners" who ruin these well run clubs,

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't know why I remember it, but I think we played Blackpool away on TV one evening (maybe a Friday?) and Pennant played a wonderful through ball for us to score. After that I thought he was gonna be a good player for us.

There's a chance I've imagined this whole thing.

S

Shifnal Wolf

I don't know why I remember it, but I think we played Blackpool away on TV one evening (maybe a Friday?) and Pennant played a wonderful through ball for us to score. After that I thought he was gonna be a good player for us.

You may be correct bud, all I remember was a woeful right winger

MrJamez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You are correct, Ebanks-Blake scored if I remember rightly.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Easy to say that now about O'hara, but at the time absolutely everyone was raving about him at the time.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Billericay is an interesting case and I recently did an article on them for a magazine here.
There obviously are lots of questions to ask, but I think its good to see an owner, who genuinely care about the whole club and the community. He's not only bringing in expensive "has-beens", but also improve infrastructure and setup, including the stadium, and lots of new initatives related to the club has do with charity-related issues, that benefits the community.
As for his faith and so-called meeting with Jesus, it obviously has had a profound effect on his life, seemingly for the better, and personally I respect that.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy to say that now about O'hara, but at the time absolutely everyone was raving about him at the time.

Because he did well in his loan spell before he signed. I thought the signings of him and Johnson, and later Bassong, would take us up a notch from clinging on desperately to 17th. How wrong I was.

S

Shifnal Wolf

I wasn't mate, I thought he looked rubbish when on loan (apart from one free kick against villa if my memory serves me right).

He always looked too slow to me, IMO his type of player should have gone to Spain or Italy where pace isn't the name of the game.

Back
Top Bottom