Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bigger Teams in Championship Than Prem

G

GeorgeWillTearYouApart

Aside from the anomaly that is Manchester United & Liverpool, there are surely more major honours amongst the teams in Championship next season than Prem anyway? I can't be bothered to count but theres a European Cup & Premier League for starters

Say West Ham will probably go up but thats then Bolton (80%) Blackburn, Wolves, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Sheffield United (probably)/Wednesday, Charlton, who are surely all bigger than teams like Swansea, Wigan, Reading, Norwich, QPR, Southampton, Fulham etc.

Add to that proper kick off times, proper stadiums- I'd rather go to Elland Road, Hillsborough & even London Road than the identikit bowls like Madjeski, Southampton & the Emirates- and it doesn't really seem that bad.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus derby and Leicester , been saying for ages there are much bigger teams down there and no one has a divine right to be in the prem , if all these teams you mention were in the prem then I would be a bit more dissapointed about not being there , but fact of the matter is the prem is for the top 6 the rest are there to make up the numbers , away followings are better in the chamPionship , bigger clubs than bottom half of prem , more traditional grounds and Saturday 3 o clocks , what's not to like !!!

F

Forever Wolves

Good posts, but it also shows that the majority on here who think we will 'walk it' could be in for a nasty surprise.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably only 4 of the original Football League founding teams will be in the Prem next season.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Currently, any team in the PL is bigger than any team below that level. Like it or not.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aside from the anomaly that is Manchester United & Liverpool, there are surely more major honours amongst the teams in Championship next season than Prem anyway? I can't be bothered to count but theres a European Cup & Premier League for starters

Say West Ham will probably go up but thats then Bolton (80%) Blackburn, Wolves, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Sheffield United (probably)/Wednesday, Charlton, who are surely all bigger than teams like Swansea, Wigan, Reading, Norwich, QPR, Southampton, Fulham etc.

Add to that proper kick off times, proper stadiums- I'd rather go to Elland Road, Hillsborough & even London Road than the identikit bowls like Madjeski, Southampton & the Emirates- and it doesn't really seem that bad.

You missed out Stoke - their second biggest trophy is the Autoglass Trophy or whatever it was called. To be fair they have won it twice though!:D

B

Bankswolf II

The championship is the most exciting league because year after year teams surprise everyone and get promoted I don't think anyone can name a year where three teams who were expected to go up did and that includes when we won it

The premiership is a forgone conclusion I'm sure you will point to the recent successes of Norwich and Swansea and go not so Bankswolf but I bet my life they will be down within 5 years in the championship there are 23 teams with just as much chance of getting promoted than us and that's why it's more exciting despite what london based money grabbing PR men would have you believe

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

I suggest you look through some posts on here then

Or look through the board after we drop our first points of the season. "We're a freshly relegated team, we should be beating times like Charlton who were in League One last year etc etc etc"

It's the same way that a staggering majority of Mixtards thought we had a divine right to be beating Swansea and hence started booing the team after fifteen minutes, despite the fact it has been proven before and since that Swansea are a much better team than us.

L

liquidatorwolf

Currently, any team in the PL is bigger than any team below that level. Like it or not.

Team, but certainly not club.

Swansea had the perfect away game (until the last ten minutes) they frustrated the $$$$ out of the team and the crowd.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
'Bigger' clubs in the GL or Chump mean absolutely nothing....

The PL is the 'top tier' and so the one to aspire to be in if you value your worth...

The size and historical greatness of clubs has nothing to do with how 'tough' it could be....it's all about the the effective quality of the 'on field' product....

Keep our best players, we have as good a chance as anyone....

S

SimplyTheWolves

Good posts, but it also shows that the majority on here who think we will 'walk it' could be in for a nasty surprise.

Far from it Forever Wolves, the majority of us know how tough it's likely to be, and by no means do the majority expect it to be a walk in the park. We all know just how tough a league this is to get out of, we're under no illusions, we are Wolves remember we’ve been there many times before.

We may say we will go straight back up next year because that's what some of us believe we can do if the club really intends on doing so. This along with the right approach and other factors like getting the right manager in, keeping hold of some of our better players as well as acquiring others, then there's no reason not to believe we can.

There's a difference between expecting to walk it, to that of expecting to go up, which I really believe we could do if we get things right before the new season starts. But to say that the majority expect us to walk it is quite frankly absurd.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What happens in the next few weeks is key.

If West Ham go up and Bolton go down, we'll almost certainly start the season with the 'best' squad (both Blackburn & Bolton are millions & millions in debt with key players soon to be out of contact and would be decimated by relegation)

If West Ham don't win promotion and QPR go down, however, we'll be in a much much weaker position.

Reaction score
West Ham are going to be in the play-off final by the looks of things. Don't like them too much cos they give off a "we think we're bigger than we are" vibe (which I'm sure we all do too, but hey ho) but happy for them to go up due to their superior team. Nolan scoring tonight is a case in point, way too good for that league.

L

long ball man

I reckon the pressure and imperative of getting to and staying in the Prem league has made it more difficult for 'big' clubs to be successful...impatient fans, ever chaning managers, no director of football etc

Meanwhile certain clubs in biggish sized places but with no tradition of success have had their best ever teams in this era. Reading, Swansea come to mind. I reckon its easier to do well at a smaller club than a bigger club due to less pressure and expectations.

Result is many traditionally 'big' clubs end up as yo yo or Champ clubs.

R

reanswolf

I class southampton and noriwch as equally big clubs as us, irrespective of history.

Back
Top Bottom