Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Big fish,small fish?

1908radford

After listening to a wolves phone in last week where a few fans stated they prefer championship footy because the club are winning games more often it made me wonder what the general feeling would be at the moment??
Which do you prefer? Being a big fish in the championship winning games and pushing for promotion or a small fish in the prem scratting around for points every week and taking the occasional good hiding that's par for the course in the premier league..

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In theory, the little fish in a big pond.

But, in practice, the opposite!

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want my team in the top league. End of. Otherwise what's the point?

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
The truth is that being 'Big Fish' in a small pond shows us as 'Small Fish'....is better to be small fish in a big pond even if out of their depth....

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care I just want to leave the ground smiling once in a while!

D

dazmanwolf

No point being in a big pond if all you are going to do is end up as sushi!

R

RichDavi

Games this season have felt like a chore. A season of entertainment culminating in a big celebration will be just what Wolves fans need

1908radford

That's the point the guys on the radio were making, that over the last two yrs they had very little to smile about being premier league fodder.Can't say I agree with but it shows the differing viewpoints of the fans I guess..

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
After listening to a wolves phone in last week where a few fans stated they prefer championship footy because the club are winning games more often it made me wonder what the general feeling would be at the moment??.

Hate that theory

1908radford

Interesting Some fans view the prem as the holy grail and others would prefer championship footy if it meant more entertainment on a weekly basis..

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the few things to come out of Morgan's mouth lately with which I agree was his comment about the club shouldn't be fiddling around in the relegation places. Not sure if he has the savvy to do anything about it but nevertheless I agree him.

The club need a prolonged spell in this league ( like Villa, Everton) and that can be achieved with the right infrastructure. At the moment the club won't be fiddling around the bottom soon but I don't think that is what Morgan meant.

Until a bigger percentage of fans take 'control' of change - both at the club and game - much of the 'vision' will remain just that.

1908radford

Some clubs expect to be yoyo teams
are we right to expect any more than that for wolves after our recent history?
Or are we over expectant as a club generally "sleeping giant etc"

1908radford

I agree we do need a prolonged spell in the prem but whether we are gonna get one I really don't know the way things are at the moment .

S

singwolf_1

4 time FA Cup Winners, League Champions on 3 occasions, League Cup winners on 2 occasions, UEFA Cup finalist etc..... we have to stay in the top divisions at all costs

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
4 time FA Cup Winners, League Champions on 3 occasions, League Cup winners on 2 occasions, UEFA Cup finalist etc..... we have to stay in the top divisions at all costs

Apparently not!....the necessity for it is firmly set at 49%...

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I prefer to be in the premier league and everything that comes with it. Sorry the barclays premier league.
Yes it's nice to actually win games but the odd victory against bigger sides is so much more satisfying for me.

1908radford

There's no doubt we are a big fish in historical terms!
However most of that was decades ago
recent history is not good reading.
To even achieve status of clubs like villa who are not that far above us at the moment
could take a hell of an investment from Morgan and I can't see that somehow.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no doubt we are a big fish in historical terms!
However most of that was decades ago
recent history is not good reading.
To even achieve status of clubs like villa who are not that far above us at the moment
could take a hell of an investment from Morgan and I can't see that somehow.

The club was destroyed thirty years ago and the game moved ahead faster than the club - which didn't keep up.

The basis was there last May but the 'plan' was yet again muddled.

I really don't think it would take much more in investment to move onwards but the management just don't seem clued up enough.

Moxey 12 years Morgan five years. If it looked like it was going to happen it would have by now.

Almost certain relegation now for me and who knows what after that.

Staying in this league is vital for progress.

1908radford

Yes there is a definate feeling of the inevitable around at the moment..

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats coming from the players themselves IMO

Said on another thread that this -more than most- was Mick's team. They played for him when they did play. It is why they wanted Connor IMO.

They are lost now. Doomed I tell ya wim doooomed:mad:

E

Edgmond Wolf

Said on another thread that this -more than most- was Mick's team. They played for him when they did play. It is why they wanted Connor IMO.

They are lost now. Doomed I tell ya wim doooomed:mad:

I agree it is Micks team and that they played for him. There has been a problem all season we have not really looked like ourselves. Our mantra was always effort but how many times have we only turned up for one halve this season?? Too many!!

I am not sure why the players wanted TC maybe to try and retain the spirit but its been ebbing away all season and disappeared in the Baggies game and we just capitulated.

The confidence of the players is shot. We are making way to many mistakes in midfield and defence and the heads are dropping and we are not pulling together as a team like we used to.

Ever since the prep talk by Bob the Builder, what ever he said the writing has been on the wall. He undermined Mick and the players knew it and we have never recovered.

The showing against Fulham was woeful. A mate said that is the worst showing by a Premier League club ever and he was not been cruel. We were bad. The players capitulated.

To be honest I am not looking forward to Saturday. I will be yelling my head off as usual but I am some how expecting a sterile atmosphere and if Blackburn score and they normally do, then I fear for us, I really do. These are our big rivals and we have ****ed up a few of these sorts of games....

Stand by for melt down on here and at the Molineux

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
As painful as the last few months have been, most definitely the Premier League. If we went down, there's no guarantee we would be challenging for promotion next season. I'd much prefer to be struggling in the Premier League than being an upper mid-table side in the Championship.

Even if we could guarantee coming straight back up, we would have lost our best players and would probably find ourselves struggling even worse than we are now. If you think this season is bad, remember the season after the last time we got relegated...

1908radford

I wouldn't like to be on the pitch if we go one down early in the game as the atmosphere will probably turn very nasty...

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree it is Micks team and that they played for him. There has been a problem all season we have not really looked like ourselves. Our mantra was always effort but how many times have we only turned up for one halve this season?? Too many!!

I am not sure why the players wanted TC maybe to try and retain the spirit but its been ebbing away all season and disappeared in the Baggies game and we just capitulated.

The confidence of the players is shot. We are making way to many mistakes in midfield and defence and the heads are dropping and we are not pulling together as a team like we used to.

Ever since the prep talk by Bob the Builder, what ever he said the writing has been on the wall. He undermined Mick and the players knew it and we have never recovered.

The showing against Fulham was woeful. A mate said that is the worst showing by a Premier League club ever and he was not been cruel. We were bad. The players capitulated.

To be honest I am not looking forward to Saturday. I will be yelling my head off as usual but I am some how expecting a sterile atmosphere and if Blackburn score and they normally do, then I fear for us, I really do. These are our big rivals and we have ****ed up a few of these sorts of games....

Emboldened bit. Johnsongate for me. From the third game in I argued that Mick made a big mistake there. Newby captain unsettled things a bit spiritwise. Then performances dropped and it seems there has been no way back.Plus I don't think Johnson 'fits' at the club.

The 'feudal lord' behaviour of Morgan (Liverpool) was arrogant, egotistic and bullying. Cretinous behaviour.For all the money etc it must not be forgotten that footballers are young men in their twenties mainly- not grizzled old $$$$$$$s who would tell him to $$$$ off.

As you know ( if you don't where have you been:D) I am on a futile crusade against GL prices and ideals so don't give them my cash.

I shall be yelling at my screen as usual though. Haven't missed one this season.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Emboldened bit. Johnsongate for me. From the third game in I argued that Mick made a big mistake there. Newby captain unsettled things a bit spiritwise. Then performances dropped and it seems there has been no way back.Plus I don't think Johnson 'fits' at the club.

The 'feudal lord' behaviour of Morgan (Liverpool) was arrogant, egotistic and bullying. Cretinous behaviour.For all the money etc it must not be forgotten that footballers are young men in their twenties mainly- not grizzled old $$$$$$$s who would tell him to $$$$ off.

As you know ( if you don't where have you been:D) I am on a futile crusade against GL prices and ideals so don't give them my cash.

I shall be yelling at my screen as usual though. Haven't missed one this season.

I too think Johnson has affected the spirit. I dont like his behaviour on the pitch and he has been poor performance wise.

I hope to hear you yelling at the telly at the weekend :D

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoy being relegated!!! I dont think that many enjoyed it under Dave Jones when we were heading for the first division. You cannot set a policy for staying in the championship and be happy winning a percentage that will allow you to be happy but not get promoted.
Besides there will be a fair few of us mixers that will be disappointed because we wont be able to watch the matches live as we can at the moment.

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
I would rather be in the prem every day of the week. It is just unfortunate that we have showed very little skill throughout the season.

With a decent manager surrounded by decent coaching staff but more importantly a decent owner, we would enjoy the league!

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
moxey and morgan have balls up big time. a couple of quality players more added to the squad in the summer would have secured our place in the prem this season, most of us could see that, they didnt and the rest is history.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always look up. Don't settle for mediocrity. Being in the second division is crap even if you win more often. If Wolves stop aiming to be an established Premiership team that will be it as far as I am concerned. It will be a betrayal of all the club has stood for.There is no reason why we can't be a top 10 club. But we desperately need to find an INTELLIGENT manager and Morgan must stop shopping at Poundland. Offer Wenger £10m a year, anything, but let's lift the level once and for all.

tiggerkev

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One of those difficult questions. Would love to see us competing with the best. But the numerous defeats and the greed leagues constant changes to game times and days is making me think the second tier would not be too bad.

D

DR.Wolf

Would I rather we stay in the best league in the world playing against world class teams?

Yes.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think some people will need a reality check next season.Loads of teams have gone down and had real problems getting back up,we won't be any different.

M

MonkeySpanner

Haven't enjoyed many games in the Premier league over the last three seasons. We don't have the money to really compete, we didn't have a manager to even give us some nice football to watch and as a result it's been three seasons of purely avoiding relegation which might be the case for 2012.

Championship was exciting, winning games and the chance of promotion to the Premiere league at the end.

It's a catch 22 really. Play in the Championship, win promotion, love it. Get into Premiership and hate every game for fear of relegation and having to start all over again.

At the end of the day, as much as I hate it it's got to be the Premiership otherwise what's the point.

Freeport wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I agree entirely with this view. I think we will lose to Blackburn, the team have no confidence. It looks like a very depressing end to our season and the atmosphere at Molineux will be intimidating.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder how people will feel next season when we aren't even winning games in the Championship...

mexy

Reaction score
i think morgan would rather us be a big fish in the championship,winning our fair share of games but not enough to get us up.
being a small fish in the prem, i think has made him realise how much it costs to become an established prem side and financially as far as buying players and wages etc he has had a shock and is way in over his head.
i would not be suprised if when we go down he offloads our better players gets the cash from the parachute payments and wants to bail out by putting the club up for sale.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree entirely with this view. I think we will lose to Blackburn, the team have no confidence. It looks like a very depressing end to our season and the atmosphere at Molineux will be intimidating.
I can never buy into this no confidence angle when there are top motivational coaches who we could bring in that would change that. Their charges to do that work would be peanuts compared to the wages we pay our players.

Back
Top Bottom