Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Best Wolves players of all time (according to ChatGPT)

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top flight league goals only

Johnny Hancocks 158
Jimmy Murray 155
John Richards 129
Peter Broadbent 127
Harry Wood 110
Roy Swinbourne 107
Dennis Westcott 105
Dennis Wilshaw 105
Jimmy Mullen 98
Jesse Pye 90
I see there is no “Artillery” Bill Hartill on your list. He was club top scorer for a while - were his goals in the pre war second division then?

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see there is no “Artillery” Bill Hartill on your list. He was club top scorer for a while - were his goals in the pre war second division then?

He's in 12th place with 73 top flight goals out of a total of 162

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to discuss favourite players but to try to list best players over a period of 80 years is complete *******s unless possibly you are 90+ years old, still cognitive and have seen all Wolves teams over that period!
With a ****ing great memory :tearsofjoy:

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Angus McClean was very popular in my day. Scottish LB, anyone remember him?
You lucky chap!! What little video exists of him gives no indication of his quality.
I remember one incident inparticular. Ronnie Clayton of Blackburn was the current England captain. We were playing his team Blackburn at home in 1960, Peter received the ball and his usual bodyswerve left Clayton on his backside. We won 5-2 and then followed up with the 3-0 cup final win later in the season, the one where Dave Whelan had his leg deliberately broken. Some of you may have heard of that!!

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
Bully was great but Richards was better. He scored all his goals at the top level.
He scored 15 league goals in our Division 2 championship winning side in 1976- 77, despite missing the first half of the season due to injury. He also chipped in with 5 FA Cup goals.He was rightly called “King John” and should be in any list of Wolves greats.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully showed that he could play at a higher level -look at his performances for England -when did another of ours play in a wOrld cup semi ?I

King John should be in there-a natural finisher and of course Waggy who could put a ball on a sixpence for a variety of wolves strikers.

Parkes Def over rated -Kenny Hibbit was highly gifted just lacked pace

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully showed that he could play at a higher level -look at his performances for England -when did another of ours play in a wOrld cup semi ?I
Might be wrong but don't think Bully came on in the semi, wasn't he getting prepared to when Lineker scored then proceeded to sit back down?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He scored 15 league goals in our Division 2 championship winning side in 1976- 77, despite missing the first half of the season due to injury. He also chipped in with 5 FA Cup goals.He was rightly called “King John” and should be in any list of Wolves greats.
Eh, what??? Division 2??? You mean... you can't mean... surely not... you mean the wonderful side of the 70s with all those super players got RELEGATED??

And people have the temerity to scoff when I say this lot we have now would smash them

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might be wrong but don't think Bully came on in the semi, wasn't he getting prepared to when Lineker scored then proceeded to sit back down?

Yes you are quite right -he played four times in Italia 90 -three as subs -Ireland ,Holland and Belgium and started against Egypt.so amend my comment to read when did one of ours play in a World cup quarter final ?.All to!d 13 caps and four goals -fantastic finish at Hampden and two set up by Gascgoine against Czechoslovakia.Taylor never picked him when he took over from Robson.

The only reason there is any doubt is that he was loyal to the Wolves but I have not the slightest doubt he would have been a success for us in the top division.

Locks Heath Wolf

Reaction score
I grew up watching Bully, but have to be fair and say overall it must be Billy Wright due to his historical record and influence on the game as a whole at that time, both for Wolves and England.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eh, what??? Division 2??? You mean... you can't mean... surely not... you mean the wonderful side of the 70s with all those super players got RELEGATED??

And people have the temerity to scoff when I say this lot we have now would smash them
Daft argument comparing players from different eras and perhaps I shouldn't get involved but the 70s was a special team and deserve to be lauded. I saw the 70s team and todays team and bar Neves imo no other current player would get near any of the 70s team. Ignoring things like improvements in fitness, nutrition etc etc, the pure footballing skill level of the individual 70s team is way above the current lot. Can you imagine Dougan v Collins, Wagstaffe v Semedo, Munro v Kilman and on and on? Different planets tbh.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes you are quite right -he played four times in Italia 90 -three as subs -Ireland ,Holland and Belgium and started against Egypt.so amend my comment to read when did one of ours play in a World cup quarter final ?
Sorry your nearly correct, he didn't appear in quarter final either v Cameroon ;)

Neves played in quarter finals last year, losing to Morocco

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Daft argument comparing players from different eras and perhaps I shouldn't get involved but the 70s was a special team and deserve to be lauded. I saw the 70s team and todays team and bar Neves imo no other current player would get near any of the 70s team. Ignoring things like improvements in fitness, nutrition etc etc, the pure footballing skill level of the individual 70s team is way above the current lot. Can you imagine Dougan v Collins, Wagstaffe v Semedo, Munro v Kilman and on and on? Different planets tbh.
Misty eyed nostalgia

Four mainstays of that 70s team, Parkin, Hibbitt, Daley and Richards. One England cap between them in a decade where England were so crap they didn't qualify for a single tournament. They were good players who did good/great things with Wolves (apart from managing to get relegated in a 22 team league), not great players (in the sense of true greats, like a Billy Wright).

People who were around then and loved that team have a lack of appreciation as to just how good this side is now and has been since promotion, they also tend not to accept that the whole footballing landscape has changed drastically. Go and watch The Big Match Revisited or whatever it is, and barring a couple of players who had a bit about them and stood out, it's like watching Preston V Cardiff on a Friday night. This lot would wipe the floor with them in terms of footballing ability, it's not even close

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
It seems more knowledgeable than @MIKE SLATER tbf.
That's really insulting. I don't think it s more knowledgeable at all. Bull scored four goals for England in the equivalent of six and a half games, which is good. He scored 164 in 355 championship games for Wolves. Are you seriously comparing that with Jimmy Murray for example, who got 155 in 273 top flight games? If they were talking about players who have turned round the fortunes of a football club then Bull is top of the list.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's really insulting. I don't think it s more knowledgeable at all. Bull scored four goals for England in the equivalent of six and a half games, which is good. He scored 164 in 355 championship games for Wolves. Are you seriously comparing that with Jimmy Murray for example, who got 155 in 273 top flight games? If they were talking about players who have turned round the fortunes of a football club then Bull is top of the list.
Feel insulted then lol. Or would you like an apology?

I'm so sorry:disrelieved:

Or maybe learn to take a joke.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite agree, but it’s also a useful benchmark to measure how good Bully was. King John scored 15 in Division 2 from 27 games, Bully’s best haul in that division was 26 in 43.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has done this but ChatGPT has the following:

1. Billy Wright: Billy Wright is a Wolves legend, having played for the club between 1939 and 1959. He was the first player to win 100 caps for England and captained his country a record 90 times.
  2. Steve Bull: Steve Bull is Wolves' all-time leading goalscorer, having scored 306 goals in 561 appearances for the club. He played for Wolves between 1986 and 1999 and was also capped 13 times by England.
  3. Ron Flowers: Ron Flowers was part of Wolves' famous "Stan Cullis" side that won the league in 1954 and 1958. He played for the club between 1952 and 1967 and was also capped 49 times by England.
  4. Derek Dougan: Derek Dougan played for Wolves between 1967 and 1975 and was a fan favourite. He scored 123 goals in 323 appearances for the club and was also capped 43 times by Northern Ireland.
  5. Kenny Hibbitt: Kenny Hibbitt is one of Wolves' most consistent performers, having played for the club between 1973 and 1984. He made 574 appearances for the club, scoring 70 goals in the process.
  6. Stan Cullis: Stan Cullis was a legendary manager at Wolves, leading the club to three league titles and two FA Cups in the 1950s. He also played for the club between 1934 and 1949, making over 150 appearances.
  7. Johnny Hancocks: Johnny Hancocks played for Wolves between 1948 and 1958 and was part of the famous "Stan Cullis" side. He made over 300 appearances for the club and was known for his dribbling skills.
  8. Peter Broadbent: Peter Broadbent played for Wolves between 1951 and 1965 and was a key part of the "Stan Cullis" side. He scored 145 goals in 497 appearances for the club and was also capped 14 times by England.
  9. Mike Bailey: Mike Bailey played for Wolves between 1966 and 1976 and was a captain and leader on the pitch. He made over 400 appearances for the club and was also capped twice by England.
  10. Phil Parkes: Phil Parkes was a goalkeeper for Wolves between 1964 and 1979 and was regarded as one of the best keepers of his generation. He made over 450 appearances for the club and was also capped six times by England.
Not our Phil Parkes
  1. (Different Phil Parkes)

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Loved Bully but he didn't play for Wolves in the top flight so he can't be in the top 10. Peter Broadbent would be my number 1 for sheer skill. Bert Williams was our best goalkeeper, Phil Parkes was to inconsistent.
Second post in and already cba to read the thread

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone asked chatGPT who's getting relegated this season?
I just asked and this was the answer:

As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to predict the future or know the current state of the English Premier League beyond my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021. However, you can keep up with the latest updates and standings of the league to make an informed prediction on which teams may be relegated at the end of the current season.

It ain't that clever then.

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry, Bully ISNT one of Wolves best 10 players of all time? Ok.
I was trying to point out that players who have scored goals at a better rate in the top flight, than Bull did in the championship, deserve to be in top 10. I have stuck up for Bull many times, sadly even against Wolves fans.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My dad would have said the great Billy Wright. Best I’ve seen without doubt is Peter Knowles

Back
Top Bottom