Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Best squad ever???

T

TheConcourse

Really? Bennett over Mosquera all day currently. Doherty over Semedo for me as well, what Doherty did with us was fantastic, Semedo hasn't come close yet. Patricio over Sa as well. Jonny over Marcal though granted both still here. Cutrone over Silva currently as well, Silva wouldn't be starting games in Serie A right now.
Semedo hasn’t come close to what?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo hasn’t come close to what?

Oh is this where you start telling me Semedo stats show he is brilliant and Doherty was crap? Semedo so far has been very disappointing though I do like to think he will start to fit nicely into the Bruno style of play. Doherty so far is/was comfortably better for what he produced in what matters, results and performances.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somebody remind me how good it was in the 50s! Best squad ever my backside! Not even close.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh is this where you start telling me Semedo stats show he is brilliant and Doherty was crap? Semedo so far has been very disappointing though I do like to think he will start to fit nicely into the Bruno style of play. Doherty so far is/was comfortably better for what he produced in what matters, results and performances.
No one can question Doherty's performances during his spell under Nuno, however both him and Semedo changed clubs at the same time, one is improving the other has fell off a cliff, nothing lasts forever.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love how some just over hype some of our players. Mosquera the latest, a couple of decent friendly efforts, nothing more, compared to Bennett who featured when our defence was at its best but yet Mosquera is better. He is a question mark until he proves otherwise, simple as that.
How I see it to. Looks a prospect but has had 16 first class games in Columbia total.
He has less experience than RAN.
I dont think he was bought as a starter.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Amongst all the complaints from a minority of fans, worth remembering just how thin our squads have been
before this season. Take our best achieving year, 2019-20, and compare to this year´s

Ruddy...........Ruddy
Patricio ........Sa
Doherty.........Semedo
Jonny .............Marcal
Vinaigre..........RAN
Buur............. Hoever
Kilman............Kilmanc
Coady..............Coady
Boly.................Boly
Saiss................Saiss
Bennett..........Mosquera
Neves............Neves
Moutinho.......Moutinho
Dendonker....Dendonker
MGW..............Podence
Traore............Traore
Neto...............Neto
Jota.................Hwang
Jimenez.........Jimenez
Cutrone.........Fabio

Plus Trincao plus Jonny and Jordao to come back from longterm injuries

So a bigger squad, especially when the injured are back.

Sa, Semedo,Hoever, Mosquera, Podence, Hwang and Fabio instead of Patricio,Buur, Doherty, Bennett, MGW, Jota and Cutrone.

Plus the addition of Trincao.

That looks like good squad development to me. Just one midfielder short.

Maybe Jeff Shi does deserve a few apologies, together with some praise and trust.

don't think the title of the thread is quite right, using the word " EVER" is way of the mark, (1950s etc)
but a very interesting thread all the same,

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Me too. It might be my imagination (or delusion) but he never looks that happy when playing for Liverpool.
I’m biased but when he scored for us he always looked like he was going to go mental. When he scored for Liverpool he looks so casual. Probably means more scoring infringe off a proper crowd I suppose.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The OP is ridiculously confident (or mistaken) with our team.

I remember a reluctance to criticise the business last year and I've quickly found his very generous assessment that:

"We are witnessing the emergence of a super-efficient defensive system, one which could provide the basis for contesting for a top four place, and even a top three place."

Not digging out the OP in a bad way, fair play, he appears to really believe in what's going on here but I would've hoped that last year was a wake-up call considering how badly it went.

In terms of this latest hype job, the squad probably is better on the right, but I don't think there's much between the best XI at all. Either way, I don't see the point of this? The only important question is, 'is the squad good enough?' As the OP states, it's not. It's short in a key area.

Also, Leicester's squad now is better than their one that won the title. The point is, you need to progress, often considerably, if you don't want to go backwards.

As for apologising to Shi, that's ridiculous. He's clearly not delivered what the manager wanted, which isn't good enough. If we do well this season it will be down to the manager almost entirely.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But yet the one on the right have only played 4 games this season.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I am all for this current side, I love how we are trying to play the game now. The point is that the side hasn't evolved much and that the OP is suggesting that Bruno and us fans should be delighted with the progression but I just don't see it, I think Bruno has been let down pretty badly in what was a critical first transfer window for him.

I do find it a little bizarre though that plenty have laughed at my opinions on the subject, presumably the side that finished 7th twice, an FA cup semi and a QF in Europe was pretty crap then and we should expect much more this season? A big ask I think but hopefully that is the case.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also would add that players decline so does anyone here actually think any of Moutinho, Jimenez, Jonny, Dendoncker, Boly are better now than two years ago or worse?

T

TheConcourse

Doherty was bang average.

Ambled around the pitch, slow to recover, poor defensively. He got the odd assist and goal - great.

I don’t need stats to tell me that Semedo is a huge upgrade. I have eyes. He’s had a brilliant start this season.

Meanwhile, Nuno’s love child can’t even get into Nuno’s team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s little doubt on face value the current squad has greater depth but the first 11 or 12 players in the earlier squad were better and lack of injuries meant they were able to produce outstanding results. Jota was great, Boly and Jimenez were much better than we’ve seen lately, Jonny and Doherty worked perfectly for us. In summary we have a better squad but the best XI we can put out at the moment is not currently as good. As last season demonstrated you cannot rely on just 12 or 13 players.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? Bennett over Mosquera all day currently. Doherty over Semedo for me as well, what Doherty did with us was fantastic, Semedo hasn't come close yet. Patricio over Sa as well. Jonny over Marcal though granted both still here. Cutrone over Silva currently as well, Silva wouldn't be starting games in Serie A right now.

You're not even hiding it now mate

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had a fully fit squad, I'd say the best in the last 40 years. Hard to compare the great 50s, early 70s and perhaps late 1930s squads.
Good point. I dont feel qualified to judge the best of the 50's squads, so leave that to others.

But the early 70's can produce a fruitful comparison:

Parkes
Pierce
Shaw
Palmer
Taylor
Munro
McCalle
Jefferson
Bailey
Hegan
McCalliog
HIbbitt
Powell
Sunderland
Richards
Dougan
Kindon
Wagstaffe
Daley
Gould

Thats probably not completely accurate in terms of who was at the club for any given season, but provides
a rough comparison.

That team, at its best, was also a challenger for a top 6 place, (which it managed twice, plus the league cup and the UEFA final, plus an Fa cup semi). So broadly comparable in terms of achievement. It is my view that it is not possible to make direct comparisons as the game, in terms of speed, power, pitches, and fitness to an extent have all developed. The very good footballers in the early 70's team of course would also haver benefitted from those developments, which is what makes direct comparisons so difficult.

The early 70's team really did lack squad depth, however. Only Hegan, on his good days, and Pierce, again on his good days, were capable of coming in and maintaining the overall performance levels. Every other position was more compromised. It was probably why the team was inconsistent on a season to season basis, (plus Dougan contributing less as the years caught up). Wolves back then mismanaged the squad development badly, as key players like Dougan, Bailey, Wagstaffe, Munro all faded out in close succession without proper replacements being brought in. Very much unlike the careful succession planning now in place.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This continuous Doc v Semedo is really pointless
Doc has gone and in reality has done nothing in 2 years
He scored 1 goal for us in 2020 played bang average all season,and has failed miserably at Spurs
You cant keep basing his whole career on one/two good seasons for us,he played for us for 10 years
Semedo has been with us for just over one season, and has improved over that time, already being a better footballer than Doc,just needs to add a few goals now
Anyhow lets leave the past behind and support the players that are here now

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The OP is ridiculously confident (or mistaken) with our team.

I remember a reluctance to criticise the business last year and I've quickly found his very generous assessment that:

"We are witnessing the emergence of a super-efficient defensive system, one which could provide the basis for contesting for a top four place, and even a top three place."

Not digging out the OP in a bad way, fair play, he appears to really believe in what's going on here but I would've hoped that last year was a wake-up call considering how badly it went.

In terms of this latest hype job, the squad probably is better on the right, but I don't think there's much between the best XI at all. Either way, I don't see the point of this? The only important question is, 'is the squad good enough?' As the OP states, it's not. It's short in a key area.

Also, Leicester's squad now is better than their one that won the title. The point is, you need to progress, often considerably, if you don't want to go backwards.

As for apologising to Shi, that's ridiculous. He's clearly not delivered what the manager wanted, which isn't good enough. If we do well this season it will be down to the manager almost entirely.
I very much stand by my remarks from last season.

With a full and fit squad, we were top 6 contenders. As was shown up until the Jimenez injury.

But the season was wrecked by the longterm absence of Jimenez, Boly, Podence, Marcal and then finally Neto. No team is going to be
able to take so many injuries to major players without falling behind.

And this was all to a squad, which was on the light side in any case. Wolves took some gambles, especially with no experienced backup to Jiminez and paid the price. But without those injuries, we had a very good team, as the displays at Arsenal and then Chelsea at home really showed.

The squad is fit and fighting now, and has also been backed up, especially in attack. Lessons appear to have been learned in other words.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This continuous Doc v Semedo is really pointless
Doc has gone and in reality has done nothing in 2 years
He scored 1 goal for us in 2020 played bang average all season,and has failed miserably at Spurs
You cant keep basing his whole career on one/two good seasons for us,he played for us for 10 years
Semedo has been with us for just over one season, and has improved over that time, already being a better footballer than Doc,just needs to add a few goals now
Anyhow lets leave the past behind and support the players that are here now
Thats unfair about Doherty. He managed 5 plus goals for 4 seasons in a row, which was a major achievement. Wingback suited him really well, even though he is not as quick or as good a footballer as Semedo, who is also 2 years younger.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats unfair about Doherty. He managed 5 plus goals for 4 seasons in a row, which was a major achievement. Wingback suited him really well, even though he is not as quick or as good a footballer as Semedo, who is also 2 years younger.
Not being disrespectful at all,he was a good player for us, not disputing that
All im saying is over the last 2 seasons or so he has been average to poor,and currently Semedo is a far better player
He may not be getting the goals just yet but is doing a lot Doc couldnt do for us
We cant keep harking back 3 seasons or more, its gone, and we move on to the present and the future

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better (even best) - yes but that is relative and as a team.
We have 3 year old weaknesses that have not been addressed .
We dont have a better goalscoring midfielder because we never had one.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point. I dont feel qualified to judge the best of the 50's squads, so leave that to others.

But the early 70's can produce a fruitful comparison:

Parkes
Pierce
Shaw
Palmer
Taylor
Munro
McCalle
Jefferson
Bailey
Hegan
McCalliog
HIbbitt
Powell
Sunderland
Richards
Dougan
Kindon
Wagstaffe
Daley
Gould

Thats probably not completely accurate in terms of who was at the club for any given season, but provides
a rough comparison.

That team, at its best, was also a challenger for a top 6 place, (which it managed twice, plus the league cup and the UEFA final, plus an Fa cup semi). So broadly comparable in terms of achievement. It is my view that it is not possible to make direct comparisons as the game, in terms of speed, power, pitches, and fitness to an extent have all developed. The very good footballers in the early 70's team of course would also haver benefitted from those developments, which is what makes direct comparisons so difficult.

The early 70's team really did lack squad depth, however. Only Hegan, on his good days, and Pierce, again on his good days, were capable of coming in and maintaining the overall performance levels. Every other position was more compromised. It was probably why the team was inconsistent on a season to season basis, (plus Dougan contributing less as the years caught up). Wolves back then mismanaged the squad development badly, as key players like Dougan, Bailey, Wagstaffe, Munro all faded out in close succession without proper replacements being brought in. Very much unlike the careful succession planning now in place.
don`t disagree in the main but must point out you missed imo the best wolves full-back
ever, parkin.of course on match days only 12 players were needed and clubs were proud
of how few players were used over a season

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not being disrespectful at all,he was a good player for us, not disputing that
All im saying is over the last 2 seasons or so he has been average to poor,and currently Semedo is a far better player
He may not be getting the goals just yet but is doing a lot Doc couldnt do for us
We cant keep harking back 3 seasons or more, its gone, and we move on to the present and the future
The whole point of the thread was harking back three seasons? Comparing like for like.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amongst all the complaints from a minority of fans, worth remembering just how thin our squads have been
before this season. Take our best achieving year, 2019-20, and compare to this year´s

Ruddy...........Ruddy
Patricio ........Sa
Doherty.........Semedo
Jonny .............Marcal
Vinaigre..........RAN
Buur............. Hoever
Kilman............Kilmanc
Coady..............Coady
Boly.................Boly
Saiss................Saiss
Bennett..........Mosquera
Neves............Neves
Moutinho.......Moutinho
Dendonker....Dendonker
MGW..............Podence
Traore............Traore
Neto...............Neto
Jota.................Hwang
Jimenez.........Jimenez
Cutrone.........Fabio

Plus Trincao plus Jonny and Jordao to come back from longterm injuries

So a bigger squad, especially when the injured are back.

Sa, Semedo,Hoever, Mosquera, Podence, Hwang and Fabio instead of Patricio,Buur, Doherty, Bennett, MGW, Jota and Cutrone.

Plus the addition of Trincao.

That looks like good squad development to me. Just one midfielder short.

Maybe Jeff Shi does deserve a few apologies, together with some praise and trust.
Alright Jeff...clam down!

I think it could be argued either squad is better and there isn't much of a difference. Hoever, podence, RAN and Fabio still have a lot of work to do and cant be used as examples of improvement in my view.

Also, i dont like Man u, but Kilmanc is a bit far!

Back
Top Bottom