Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Best England Song?

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In preparation for the big game later I've been going through all the England songs. Which do we think is best? Anyone voting for Ant and Dec in the other category should be ashamed

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
New Order made the third kit cool AF.

I still wear it, absolutely one of the best of all time and Sumner just tops it off.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this thread will show realistically is the age range of the mix. Everyone's favorite is the one from their formative years end of.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish that Three Lions had never come into existence.

It's iconic, but it's become more like a curse than something for the team to aspire to.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wish that Three Lions had never come into existence.

It's iconic, but it's become more like a curse than something for the team to aspire to.
Yeah was good at the time, but has aged badly, and really cringy when the fans start singing it now

Neptune

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As a Yank, I clearly don't belong on this thread

However.....

That New Order song is putrid garbage. All the others are better, including Back Home

Insult me all you like, I won't be checking back for several days!

Good luck to England today!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a Yank, I clearly don't belong on this thread

However.....

That New Order song is putrid garbage. All the others are better, including Back Home

Insult me all you like, I won't be checking back for several days!

Good luck to England today!
You belong as much as anyone mate, but you have a lousy music taste. Have you not seen Gavin & Stacey?

Neptune

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've got great musical taste!

I like Robert Plant.

Also enjoy Harry J All Stars, Jeff Beck, Elvis Presley and even Frank Weir

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've done all my meetings for the day so I've now got World in Motion on loop till I knock off at 4pm to start watching the lead-up to the game.

God it takes me back! 25 years of age and driving around Italy with my mates playing this song over and over again: Pisa, Sasso Marconi, Bologna for the Belgium game, Rimini for R&R avoiding the trouble, carabinieri and deportations, Sorrento for more R&R, Naples for the Cameroon game dodging the locals with their knives, the long, long all-day drive at breakneck speed up to Turin to make sure we got there well in time to get tickets, watching the Italy v Argentina game in a Turin square (we were the only Argentina fans there, thinking it would be an easier final), the Germany game, the heartbreak, back to Pisa and home. One of the best experiences of my life and I'm still best mates with two of the guys I went with, all these years later our Whatsapp group is called Italia 90 Reunion.

This thread was a good reminder as World in Motion always brings it all flooding back :cool:

Reaction score
Sorry folks, call off the dogs, search over!

Yes World in motion is fantastic, (with Bully on backing vocals)

But..........

Mel C proving her true calling was a Bunnygirl

Jez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Even the Beeb commentator who calls us WolverRampton whenever he commentates on our games, quoted from the 1982 classic when Kane scored.
“This time more than any other time”

but it’s Italia 90 for me ….. New order. World in motion.
Tune

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, i know it's not the original, but musically i always preferred 3 lions '98

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1990 at its finest :hearteyes:
Amazing tune brilliant band, one of my favourite ever gigs. Not an England song mind you but it’s a proper middle finger to all the mainstream ****e. Saying that I love world in motion too

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Call me old-school, but a proper England song should be sung by the England players. Not sure if World in Motion gets through on a John Barnes technicality, but I'm opting for This Time (We'll Get It Right), partly because we never do.

Why don't we see footballers in the charts anymore? Long gone are the days of Gazza and Fog on the Tyne, or Hoddle & Waddle with their Diamond Lights. The World is a worse place for it...

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
World of Motion is overrated (the cool Choice) . I wonder what Ian Curtis would make of it?

3 Lions Easily. Better tune.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Call me old-school, but a proper England song should be sung by the England players. Not sure if World in Motion gets through on a John Barnes technicality, but I'm opting for This Time (We'll Get It Right), partly because we never do.

Why don't we see footballers in the charts anymore? Long gone are the days of Gazza and Fog on the Tyne, or Hoddle & Waddle with their Diamond Lights. The World is a worse place for it...

Imagine how slated Raheem Sterling would get doing a rap before the tournament.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
World of Motion is overrated (the cool Choice) . I wonder what Ian Curtis would make of it?

I've heard that Curtis was possibly the only proper football fan in Joy Division (a Man City supporter) so probably would have loved getting involved. I don't know what he would have made of the song, but New Order were musically a very different band once they'd moved away from the Joy Division sound of Ceremony (I've heard a JD recording of that song, and it just sounds more 'right' with Ian Curtis on vocals).

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry folks, call off the dogs, search over!

Yes World in motion is fantastic, (with Bully on backing vocals)

But..........

Mel C proving her true calling was a Bunnygirl
OCS, Space, The Bunnymen, you'd think you couldn't go wrong........but

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It might be generational bias, but I find the new world order one a travesty musically, and cringe as hell.
3 lions all the way. The entire song is the true essence of fandom, the emotional scars of endless disappointment, that can never quite quell yearning hope.

SeaWolf

Reaction score
All this thread will show realistically is the age range of the mix. Everyone's favorite is the one from their formative years end of.
For most on here it will be World Cup Wiilie, then.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Hey diddle-diddle, there's a fella in the middle
And I think he's pulling my string
My wife's lactating and I'm spectating
It's a football thing.
I live in a land of class hypocrisy
We're going to win the national lottery
E I Adio, I don't think so."

England's Irie.

Thread ends....

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's got to be 'Three Lions' by an absolute mile. Proper song, great tune, fantastic chorus: "It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home" and great words which actually tell a real fans' story. I watched the 66 Final in a bar in Koblenz, Germany absolutely rammed with drunken krauts and I saw 'Jules Rimet still gleaming'. The Germans were far more gracious in defeat that England fans would ever have been. Only negative, the barmaid tried to overcharge me for all the beers I had drunk (a lot!)

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was only 4 when World in Motion came out and didn’t really take much note of it until I was about 15 which was the 00’s. It’s undeniably a great song, and probably the best song musically by some way.

However, being that bit older and my first England tournament where I actually knew what was going on was Euro ‘96… Everything about that tournament still makes me feel very nostalgic. Same for Three Lions… particularly the intro of crowd noise, commentary and the opening chords. So for me that makes it my favourite.

Also, like then or loathe them, but fair play to Baddiel and Skinner (and Brody), for writing a song that has long term become a terrace chant! I guarantee at least 90% of you on here will be singing or texting “it’s coming home” at some point this evening if we get through…

Kudos to Vindaloo too, that is a great pre-match singalong too. Hated at the time, but grown to love it over the years. Again, a cracking intro!

No Ant & Dec ‘We’re on the Ball’ on the list?

D

Deleted member 7041

Sven sven sven Goran Erickson
He's a lovely geezer
But don't forget that he's from Sweden

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was only 4 when World in Motion came out and didn’t really take much note of it until I was about 15 which was the 00’s. It’s undeniably a great song, and probably the best song musically by some way.

However, being that bit older and my first England tournament where I actually knew what was going on was Euro ‘96… Everything about that tournament still makes me feel very nostalgic. Same for Three Lions… particularly the intro of crowd noise, commentary and the opening chords. So for me that makes it my favourite.

Also, like then or loathe them, but fair play to Baddiel and Skinner (and Brody), for writing a song that has long term become a terrace chant! I guarantee at least 90% of you on here will be singing or texting “it’s coming home” at some point this evening if we get through…

Kudos to Vindaloo too, that is a great pre-match singalong too. Hated at the time, but grown to love it over the years. Again, a cracking intro!

No Ant & Dec ‘We’re on the Ball’ on the list?
I think the fact it's generational is one of the key things that fires the imagination.

I remember the England song with Keegan from 82 I think, but the one that really got stuck in my head was the 1988 Euros 'We're going all the way', by the time the second game came around it was 'We're going home on Sunday' as the team was disgraced, losing all three games after being tipped as winners following a 4-1 win in qualification in Yugoslavia.

'World in Motion' is my coming of age song. Those of you who say it's the 'cool' choice are missing one important detail. Until this day, no England team has performed better overseas in a World Cup.

The fact that Wolves' number nine was in that squad tells you all you need to know about how that song resonates with England, and especially Wolves / England fans of a certain age.

Bully's gonna getcha!

COME ON ME BABBIES!

Back
Top Bottom