Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Before Mol Mix (Wolves mailing list)

Berkswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In reply to saturday boys post in another thread that has been closed.

Saturday boy posted :-

Way back when, before some of you were born and the internet was a mere babe and dial-up was the only show in town there was a wolves mailing list - run off a server at Wolves Uni with a piece of software called majordomo.

There were happy clappers and 'the 4 horsemen'even then. As it is so it has always been.

Some from those times have survived, some may still be here in different guises others we have lost to the great mailing list in the sky or they've got a life.

I recall a current high profile BBC football reporter cutting her teeth on said list. Does she lurk silently on here too?

Roll call - who out there was 'mixing' it before Molineux Mix?"

Well the mailing list still exists SB but only 2 of the Horsemen left as regular posters. Jiwal and The Grim Reaper. One of the others, Toro, is an occasional poster.

The high profile reporter you refer to is no longer a list member as far as I know. But she used to be not only a good and regular contributor but also attended some of the meet ups we have had. She may be a member here under another guise though.

There are a good few members from here that are regulars still on the mailing list. I find it a more freindly and mainly, less confrontational than here. With far, far less personal insults, and more reasoned and open debate without fear of a personal attack.

I am sure others will add their names and comments

sjonnie

Reaction score
Yep - I'll second that - it's still going and in terms of reasoned debate and intelligent argument a much better option.

It would probably be a shock to many on here but you won't be told to "eff-off and support the $$$$$$", the moment any criticism of player/manager/CEO/owner is offered.

justfriggin

Reaction score
yep, Desmo here.
Do you remember Peter Pakeman working from Japan who could fill the whole of Majordomo's alotted space with just ONE email. Legend
Always remember Skyraker s lucid comments from Pittsburgh.
Who was the fourth horsemen of the apocalype ?
Didn't they all fall out over a woman or is this still sub judice.

And finally I almost used to slash my wrists when I read JIWALs from Oz comments.
He's lightened up a lot since scribing away on 606.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Didn't know it was still going. I remember my office email constantly filling up with Wolves emails back then and meeting up with some of the other regular contributors on the 2000 Tour of Ireland.

In particular, Truls, Pete from Berlin, the Brighton Wolves crew, said reporter and many others. I even look back with some fondness on the day Truls stopped the clock, a momentous occassion indeed.

sjonnie

Reaction score
yep, Desmo here.
Do you remember Peter Pakeman working from Japan who could fill the whole of Majordomo's alotted space with just ONE email. Legend
Always remember Skyraker s lucid comments from Pittsburgh.
Who was the fourth horsemen of the apocalype ?
Didn't they all fall out over a woman or is this still sub judice.

And finally I almost used to slash my wrists when I read JIWALs from Oz comments.
He's lightened up a lot since scribing away on 606.

4th Horseman was NYWolf - aka Ian Peddie. He left the list after he called someones boss and got him sacked.

Jiwal & Toro fell out over a woman.

W

wolf edge

Another one here, although I have always lurked around in the background since joining Mol Mix and even during the E&S version. Monday mornings it took for ever to read all the e-mails in my Inbox!

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Pakeman - what a character. Have to admit, I didn't think the list would still be going.

Played a few times for Interwolves which was organised by Alex Amstel (is he sillytuna on here?). Did a couple of weekend tournaments with them - I don't remember the one in Leeds...a night of shots in the city centre.

Sounds like it is a bit sterile now ;-) it was never as civilised as described now!

S

sillytuna

The list still exists? I may sign up again - what's the sign-up email ?-)

It was started, I think, by a friend from Bristol (Glenn @ Inmos...). It was the early 90s and I was at uni. I then helped out for a while whilst also starting the West Brom list (sorry!) and some other midland club lists - to be fair they were a good bunch of lads too. It then moved on to the Wolves uni server. I didn't know it was still going.

I also used to run the Interwolves - the list football team. Slightly dubious quality at times but we knew how to have a good time. I wonder where all the IW's are now? I know some are on MolMix ;)

The football commentator in question can now be found on Twitter by the way.

S

sillytuna

Played a few times for Interwolves which was organised by Alex Amstel (is he sillytuna on here?). Did a couple of weekend tournaments with them - I don't remember the one in Leeds...a night of shots in the city centre.

Good to see you can get my name right, or not ;)

So which IW were you Saturday Boy?

I think we need a team reunion... I'm still in Sheffield - the scene of a classy IW night out before a tournament in Middlesborough I seem to remember (think I still have the scar where I fell out of a taxi over a fence - that was before we even got into the club!).

P

Portslade Wolf

I was on the list back in the early days. There are a couple of people I know who still subscribe to it. It used to be a great way to arrange pre-match meet ups, and of course to plan pre-season jaunts - Ireland 2000 etc. Incidentally, there are some tour pictures on www.brightonwolves.co.uk.

NOKASPLACE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup - I was Noka on that list .... more of a voyeur than contributer!!

Didnt know it was still running

Edmund Dantes

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember the list. Maybe I'm wrong but did the Swede Wolves use it for voting on player of the season? I could be wrong.

Don't forget irc chat on matchdays.

Last edited by a moderator:

loopy lupine

Reaction score
Blimey - I'd forgotten all about the list!

Echo the monday morning trawl through whinging moaning emails... it's just whinging moaning threads now! ;)

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I was on the mailing list and used to occasionally contribute but mainly lurk around. I remember well the huge email arguments between Peter Pakemen and various other members (quite often with JIWAL and The Ancient Mariner if I remember correctly). I used to wonder how on earth the Peter used to get the time and the inclination to write such detailed and lengthy replies concerning trivial arguments. One of his adversaries used to just call him Pakeman (Ancient Mariner maybe) which really used to irk him.

This thread reminded me of my mailing list email account on Yahoo so I just signed in. Not sure when I last looked at it but just logged in to find 8932 unread emails :eek:

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another ex-list member here and member of the Interwolves team. Remember the night out in Sheffield Alex describes and thr tourny the next day in Middlesborough (weren't we denied a win against the Blues side because the ref (a Blues fan) allowed about 10 mins of injury time?

Happy days - mad to think well over a decade ago now. We also played a tournament in Reading from memory also organised by Alex.

Had no idea it was still running either.

Alex - still have any of the old photos? Would be interesting to see them...

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there circa 1996 - 1999 - usual handle applies...

:)

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alex - think I did two IW weekends. Leeds for sure, think the other was Nottingham or maybe Sheffield - much has happened since including ageing?? There was also a smaller tournament at Leicester where I won the penalty competition where the prize was to take penalties at a Leicester game but it clashed with a Wolves home game. Also scored two goals (might have been one, the winner) against Wolves as a ringer for the albion team. Lee Barnes in goal for Wolves...

Think I saw you on the pitch after Barnsley too.

Alex Amsel? Not a distant relative of never mind the buzzcocks host.

W

Wolves1877

I was also on that last many moons ago, under the guise of CodsallWolf. The young reporter lass that you speak of is one Jacqui Oatley, who is now reporting and commentating for 5 Live on the BBC.

We had loads of great meet ups in the Varsity before matches and a remember a couple of good ones down in Watford.

Those were the days my friends...

M

markb

I still occasionally meet with some of the old members - tim, Marcus, bob the blade etc.

S

singwolf_1

I have been on the mailing list from about 1994-5 perhaps, and met Serigala (Wolf in Malay/Bahasa indonesia) and Clive when they passed through this part of the world. Met NSWolf, Jiwal, Vintage + others in Perth in July :)

G

Gloster_Wolf

I was wondering, only the other day, whether the list was still going. I think the last time I was there was about 2004. I'm glad to hear it still survives and will have to look it up once again. It's nice to hear the "old" names again and I well remember Peter Pakeman, JIWAL et al. Thanks for the memories!

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
. The young reporter lass that you speak of is one Jacqui Oatley, .

I was trying to preserve her anonymity.... She may not have wanted that history 'outed' ;-)

If only I had known then that she would be pretty AND successful....

...I would have stalked her!

L

leeb

Also scored two goals (might have been one, the winner) against Wolves as a ringer for the albion team. Lee Barnes in goal for Wolves...

I think shinned two goals is a more accurate description. Never took you as a true fan seriously after that.

Peter Pakeman - The only man to make my scrollbar disappear to a 1 pixel height in an email.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think shinned two goals is a more accurate description. Never took you as a true fan seriously after that.

Peter Pakeman - The only man to make my scrollbar disappear to a 1 pixel height in an email.

Are you 'that' Lee Barnes. He/you never recovered his confidence after that game. :)

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
Slightly OT from this thread but i remember back in the 60/70's having a dial telephone and no re-dial, remember it taking ages to ring the club for tkts info etc only to get the engaged tone and you had to start over again, Oh and our telephone was harvest gold!

justfriggin

Reaction score
Was there not a second female on the List, a nurse I think.

W

Westport Wolf

I was trying to preserve her anonymity.... She may not have wanted that history 'outed' ;-)

If only I had known then that she would be pretty AND successful....

...I would have stalked her!

I had a look on youtube last night and found the matches she's commentated on, with a lot of negative comments from other 'supporters' including one eejit who said he googled her and thought she's a dog. So i had a look myself last night and... she's bloody gorgeous. Whoever that bloke is, needs a trip to spec savers! Jacqui Oatley, if you're reading this... Marry me?!! :)

M

markb

Didn't she get tangled up in some sort of judicial mess?
Yes. Hopefully all is now well with Claire, who is on here. I think she travelled to Australia this summer to watch us over there.

Back
Top Bottom