Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Barry Fry negotiating terms with a player, lovely jubbly!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought Barry fry was deeply troubled in some way and was acting a character.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some years ago I read his book Small Fry, started at Man United as a kid good pals with George Best , the antics of non league football was an eye opener, good read if you come across it

That book is one of the best football books I have read with some cracking Barry Fry humour. " I've had two heart attacks caused by football related stress, one at Birmingham working for Brady and Sullivan and the other at Barnet pushing the team bus ! "

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
‘There were 47 players when I arrived. Two weeks later I opened a cupboard and 2 more fell out’

Trevor Francis‘ words after taking over from Barry Fry at Brum.

Barry is one of footballs great characters.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Steve Claridge saying that Barry Fry signed so many players for Birmingham that when they went out for training and came running over the hill, it was like watching the end of the film Zulu.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, he was a marketing man as much as a manager, working for Stan Flashman who was as dodgy as hell.....a major ticket tout who took over a football club. A couple of Del Boys.

Fry regularly used to talk up Birmingham and once said he was making a signing that would "rock the world of football to it's very foundations".
The following week he called a press conference which was packed out with journo's and he announced they'd signed Mick Bodney on loan from Southend. Whoever they were meant to be signing was never mentioned again.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also remember a story about Trevor Francis.

4 months after he had taken over the Birmingham position from Fry, he had just finished training and was on his way back to his office.

2 blokes were walking towards him in the corridor.

Francis said “lads, this area is for players only “

The blokes said “ We are players boss “

Francis had never seen or knew of them .

Last edited:

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we beat Blues and scored 2 right at the end with Bull scoring that glorious injury time winner, in the press conference Fry was asked what his reaction was.
He said "I've just seen a bloke in the corridor who shook my hand and congratulated me on the win".

JJ59

Reaction score
Some years ago I read his book Small Fry, started at Man United as a kid good pals with George Best , the antics of non league football was an eye opener, good read if you come across it
Should that be Big Fry? I couldn't trace small fry but Big Fry by Barry is still available 2nd hand.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When an agent arrived to talk about a player he said “I would offer you a cup of tea but the club is skint”. Classic.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember him signing about 50 players for Blues in about a week one season, hard to believe clubs used to leave the manager to negotiate player signings, crazy

Back
Top Bottom