Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Away support from a long long time ago

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been reading about how the term `Derby` match came about, many different theories but there was a small snippet about `away` support at football in the early years of the 20th century.

as the crowds could not afford to travel very little away support if any but the local Derby was one you could travel to.

Someone posted some old black and white photos from a very distant past but I wondered if any real oldies or maybe a grand parent who can recall the very early days of away support..the numbers and how it was done, no motorways back then..

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uruguay v Argentina World Cup Final 1930 is a good read on Wiki

U

UNCLE REMUS

WBA always the 79 or the train to HAWTHORNES HALT
Villa Train Aston
Manchester/Stoke/Liverpool/London train from Coseley or Wolves

Anywhere else change at Birmingham

Great Days.

We used to go to some places in my old mans lorry.

Always managed a reasonable away following despite the restrictions, Remember away days at Bolton in the cup, Newcastle, Leicester, Luton, last time we won it. People even then used to dress up, have big cardboard cups covered in Silver paper and the great thing was that all the fans used to be in together.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

UNCLE REMUS

thinking back in time a lot further, pre WW2..

Didn't Elgar bike it from Malvern.

Trains were in existence then a few thousand at Wembley in 1939, must have been a few fans at Fallowfield,The Oval,Crystal Palace.

I was talking about mid to late 50's

Bromsgrove_Wolf

Reaction score
Didn't Elgar bike it from Malvern.

Trains were in existence then a few thousand at Wembley in 1939, must have been a few fans at Fallowfield,The Oval,Crystal Palace.

I was talking about mid to late 50's

Elgar did just that, he used to cycle back after the game to, what is now, Lloyds bar in Worcester, for an after game drink and also played music there.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
many different theories, some relate it to the game played in Derby (the same one as played in Ashborne on Shrove Tuesday between the `uppers` and `downers`, the two parts of the town http://www.ashbourne-town.com/events/football.html
I didn`t know it existed in Derby but was stopped by the mayor http://www.derby.gov.uk/LeisureCulture/MuseumsGalleries/AtPlaytreasureShrovetideFootball.htm

Take your pick from these, some appear on other links and there is more in depth stuff, what the answer is who knows but bring on the tescos..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_derby

V

Veins Of Old Gold

Without sounding funny or disrespectful. Who is Elgar?

justfriggin

Reaction score
Elgar is England's answer to Mozart. Renowned for his "Enigma Variations". He also supposedly in the Cowshed End wrote the very first Football Chant which he dedicated to Wolves Centre Forward Billy Malpass. Remember him ?

V

Veins Of Old Gold

No, never heard of the guy. I'm only 21 though.

Was he from Wolverhampton?

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just asked My erudite 19 yr old "who was Edwad Elgar?". His response was similar "who?".

"Pomp and Circumstance. The Enigma Variations. Old £20 note fella. "

"Never heard of him. "

It's a generation thing, obviously.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair why would a 21 year old know who Elgar is?

Why wouldn't they? He's a part of the Nation's fabric along with other historical figures of note. Having said that, it is not unexpected ... I'm not sure I knew who he was when I was in my late teens.

As I said "it's a generation thing". I know more in my forties than I did in my twenties.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jameswwfc

Why wouldn't they? He's a part of the Nation's fabric along with other historical figures of note. Having said that, it is not unexpected ... I'm not sure I knew who he was when I was in my late teens.

As I said "it's a generation thing". I know more in my forties than I did in my twenties.

It might be part of our nations fabric but unless he takes it upon himself to learn about our very own country where else would he of learnt about it because it sure as hell well won't be at our schools,

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It might be part of our nations fabric but unless he takes it upon himself to learn about our very own country where else would he of learnt about it because it sure as hell well won't be at our schools,

Hence my education comment.

V

Veins Of Old Gold

I thought it may have been a forum member who had passed away or something.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Billy Malpass, now there's an unfortunate name for a professional football player.

On a par with Bernie Madoff, stockbroker/investment advisor.

Imagine giving your cash to a guy named 'Madoff'

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Wolves away following at Old Trafford in 1939

thinking back in time a lot further, pre WW2..

Record Attendance at Old Trafford
76,962 - Wolves-Grimsby, 25 March 1939

I have always wondered how many Wolves fans made the trip up to Manchester for the 1939 FA Cup Semi-Final to see our 5-0 win.

Almost 77,000 inside Old Trafford - they can't have all been locals!

Can anyone shed any light on our away following on that historic day.

Thanks

L

Lordy

I think you'll find pupils are taught this in schools. It just comes down to whether some of them choose to listen or not.

D

Dewsburywolf

Yes there's a statue there too

I was more meaning Worcester folks ought to know of Elgar bearing in mind he came from the area. A bit like Dewsbury & Batley folks knowing who Joseph Priestley was due to there being a statue of him in his home town of Birstall

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was more meaning Worcester folks ought to know of Elgar bearing in mind he came from the area. A bit like Dewsbury & Batley folks knowing who Joseph Priestley was due to there being a statue of him in his home town of Birstall

Now of course Priestley should have been a Wolves Fan as we are all philosophical!!

Back
Top Bottom