Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Austwolf

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Used to be a member of another Wolves forum yrs back, originally from Malta living in Sydney Oz, was a fire fighter and just wondering if he is a member on here under a different name,
used to have many a great laugh, wondering how hes doing with this fire out there.

Nivada

Reaction score
It's me, hi chignalwolf nice to see you after all these years, you got me through some tough times man. The fire got to me in the end I'm afraid, third degree burns over my entire lower half, would probably ruin anybody else's life, but my wife and kids give me a reason to wake up every morning and for that I'm grateful, was thinking about you as little as a month ago! Came to the conclusion I'd never get to speak to you again, it's funny how life does these things to you, but I'm very grateful. Nice to hear from you again mate, anything particular you wanted to chat about?

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
Had a friend from Dortmund, named Horst Aust.
Was a strong Dortmund and Wolves fan.
Used to write for the Dortmund match day programme .

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I live in Australia (for one more week), and was a volunteer firefighter.

In the words of Lionel Richie

"Is it me you're looking for".

No it's not me. :)

SydneyWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Not me either. Bushfires in northern NSW have been pretty bad though.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Used to be a member of another Wolves forum yrs back, originally from Malta living in Sydney Oz, was a fire fighter and just wondering if he is a member on here under a different name,
used to have many a great laugh, wondering how hes doing with this fire out there.

It's me, hi chignalwolf nice to see you after all these years, you got me through some tough times man. The fire got to me in the end I'm afraid, third degree burns over my entire lower half, would probably ruin anybody else's life, but my wife and kids give me a reason to wake up every morning and for that I'm grateful, was thinking about you as little as a month ago! Came to the conclusion I'd never get to speak to you again, it's funny how life does these things to you, but I'm very grateful. Nice to hear from you again mate, anything particular you wanted to chat about?

Amazing how contacts can be made and found!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not me either. Bushfires in northern NSW have been pretty bad though.

Been pretty bad here on the Sunny coast as well. They evacuated Noosa North Shore, which isnt too far from me, thankfully, we are in no danger but plenty are. Its been shocking.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
You've all got awful fires, we've got awful floods!! Glad you have connected via this forum

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As bad as our floods are they aren't in any way comparable to the fires over there. Yesterday alone they had 50 houses totally destroyed.

Must admit i've never been in a place like this. We had incredibly bad floods, we have bad bush fires and bad cyclones. On top of that, every animal seems to want to kill you!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit i've never been in a place like this. We had incredibly bad floods, we have bad bush fires and bad cyclones. On top of that, every animal seems to want to kill you!

From what I've seen you're having it really bad, when we have floods over here they are irrelevant in comparison to what you're experiencing, keep safe.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over 300 properties destroyed by the fires in New South Wales. It must be heart breaking for people seeing their homes destroyed. Hopefully people are keeping as safe as they can.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Fantastic to hear from you and catch up mate, got to be a good 15yrs ago and so sorry to hear about your terribly injury's, was watching these fires near you and remembered you and your bravery back then.Do you ever get back to Malta.?
don't suppose you get to go big game fishing now then or do you. what was the name of that Wolves Site, i think it took over from the Official Wolves Site.dont think it exists anymore.
there was a fella called Sqeaky or something on there from your way ?

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In the words of Lionel Richie

"Is it me you're looking for".

No it's not me. :)
You leaving for good or just on holiday? You going home?

J

JC14M5 Wolf

Fantastic to hear from you and catch up mate, got to be a good 15yrs ago and so sorry to hear about your terribly injury's, was watching these fires near you and remembered you and your bravery back then.Do you ever get back to Malta.?
don't suppose you get to go big game fishing now then or do you. what was the name of that Wolves Site, i think it took over from the Official Wolves Site.dont think it exists anymore.
there was a fella called Sqeaky or something on there from your way ?

The site is The Wolf mate. Still up n running.
Last I heard Squeak ( Vic) had a stroke. Not sure if he's still with us.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As well as the bush fires and floods NSW is going through the worst drought imaginable.

I passed through the area last year when I drove from the Gold Coast to WA.

It looked like a scene from the American dust bowl of the 30s. You have to feel for the people who have been struggling through it for years.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I've seen you're having it really bad, when we have floods over here they are irrelevant in comparison to what you're experiencing, keep safe.

When there were the grass fires on Cannock Chase last year they showed it on Australian news as "the funny story at the end", fireman tramping across the Chase with shovels to pat the fire down and explained that this was a national news story in England.

There were a million hectares on fire this week across the country, so about a million Molineux pitches.
I've only been caught in bush fire conditions once, and it's not what you might imagine. I remember getting out of a nice air-conditioned car and being hit with this roaring howling gale carrying dust and grit at about 43 degrees.
When there's already a fire, it's like pumping air into a furnace to make it hotter and you can see a firefront 50 miles wide, moving at 60km/h.
There was a photo of an aluminium boat in the news this week that had been parked outside a bloke's garage. It was a puddle on the floor, still connected by the towbar.
They shut a highway near us the other year because a firefront was coming through that was moving faster than the speed limit.
You can't outrun it, you can't put it out, you just have to get out of the way.

It's actually a natural cycle that's necessary for regeneration of the land. Eucalyptus oil spontaneously combusts at about 41.3 degrees, so a fire can spring from nowhere in the hot season. The trees burn and it kills off all the vegetation, allowing new vegetation to get the sunlight and grow through. The wind is the problem.
The Aboriginals used to deliberately set fires in winter to burn off the vegetation under controlled circumstances, and that's what the current Governments have now learned to do. The problem now is that it's becoming hotter more often, the country is too big, and temperatures are getting hotter

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As well as the bush fires and floods NSW is going through the worst drought imaginable.

I passed through the area last year when I drove from the Gold Coast to WA.

It looked like a scene from the American dust bowl of the 30s. You have to feel for the people who have been struggling through it for years.

So many areas right along the Eastern side of Australia suffering from drought. We went to Stanthorpe in Southern Queensland a few weeka ago and like a lot of other places in QLD and NSW they literally have no drinking water left. The locals were telling us it's costs $2 million a month for them to bring water in by truck. Very, very sad.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When there were the grass fires on Cannock Chase last year they showed it on Australian news as "the funny story at the end", fireman tramping across the Chase with shovels to pat the fire down and explained that this was a national news story in England.

There were a million hectares on fire this week across the country, so about a million Molineux pitches.
I've only been caught in bush fire conditions once, and it's not what you might imagine. I remember getting out of a nice air-conditioned car and being hit with this roaring howling gale carrying dust and grit at about 43 degrees.
When there's already a fire, it's like pumping air into a furnace to make it hotter and you can see a firefront 50 miles wide, moving at 60km/h.
There was a photo of an aluminium boat in the news this week that had been parked outside a bloke's garage. It was a puddle on the floor, still connected by the towbar.
They shut a highway near us the other year because a firefront was coming through that was moving faster than the speed limit.

It's actually a natural cycle that's necessary for regeneration of the land. Eucalyptus oil spontaneously combusts at about 41.3 degrees, so a fire can spring from nowhere in the hot season. The trees burn and it kills off all the vegetation, allowing new vegetation to get the sunlight and grow through. The wind is the problem.
The Aboriginals used to deliberately set fires in winter to burn off the vegetation under controlled circumstances, and that's what the current Governments have now learned to do. The problem now is that it's becoming hotter more often, the country is too big, and temperatures are getting hotter
Here’s hoping you all remain safe.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The other big problem is the tree huggers stop the back burning, which leaves a lot of the debris around that fuels these fires. On top of that, up here in Qld we will be getting some big thunderstorms on the weekend, and I'll bet the lightning strikes will end up starting more fires.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's amazing how many ex-pats join the volunteer fire service over here, but also how supported it all is by employers and the Governments. No arguments about time off, lots of training and you become an expert; if there's an emergency you just go off and jump in a plane or truck, some from Canberra were even flown off to California to help out earlier this year. Gives you a sense of worth and usefulness that can be missing from modern life. When we came over a lot of the younger, fitter crowd joined up...some are still doing it now and love it. Tough game though.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here’s hoping you all remain safe.

I'm nowhere near this lot thankfully, but it's still only Spring which is a worry.
Canberra had bad bushfires in 2003 when people died, it nearly burned the Emergency Services Control Centre and wasn't too far from Parliament. Total shambles, really concentrated a lot of minds.
Since then, they've spent hundreds of millions on protection and preventive planning. We get smoke in winter as they burn off all around the city, fire resistant house building standards upped, radio systems all linked up, every household needs a bushfire plan, large landowners are inspected to make sure they're clearing dead wood etc..

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near this lot thankfully, but it's still only Spring which is a worry.
Canberra had bad bushfires in 2003 when people died, it nearly burned the Emergency Services Control Centre and wasn't too far from Parliament. Total shambles, really concentrated a lot of minds.
Since then, they've spent hundreds of millions on protection and preventive planning. We get smoke in winter as they burn off all around the city, fire resistant house building standards upped, radio systems all linked up, every household needs a bushfire plan, large landowners are inspected to make sure they're clearing dead wood etc..

Sadly, here in QLD, we arent allowed to do a great deal of land clearing. Back burning is generally done by Parks and Wildlife or the Rural fire service. Saying that, it doesnt help when you get idiots deliberately lighting fires like the one at Noosa North Shore.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, here in QLD, we arent allowed to do a great deal of land clearing.

I know a woman who was told that goats were brilliant at clearing brambles and blackberries, so she bought a herd and let them loose on her land. When they didn't touch anything she complained.
The bloke said "you have to cut them down and chop them up first, or they won't eat it". So now she has a herd of goats and a chainsaw.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A useful tip for anyone caught in bush fires over East in hilly or mountainous areas.

A bush fires speed of advance wiil double for each 10 degrees of incline.
That doesn't account for wind conditions .

Once the fire has crested the ridge and is coming down the decline its speed will lesten by half for each 10 degrees .

If you are stuck with no way out try to position yourself on the down slope.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
78106802_10162312530255018_8786787352790958080_o.jpg

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another Maltese Wolf!!! Just got back from a week in Malta, the missus said on Friday "you've not met a Wolves fan on this trip". It seems I meet Wolves fans everywhere. Anyway I walk in to a jewellers in Valletta later that day and Vincent I believe the proprietor was called had a Wolves calendar on his wall!!!

Everywhere we (I) go.

Back
Top Bottom