Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Atmosphere V Palace

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do other clubs have the inter stand rivalry we've got at the Molineux?

ChesterWolf

Reaction score
Quadrant sometimes looks lively too, I admit.

Sat there regularly over the past few years and you are right sometimes that atmosphere over there is good, but like the away fans last night you won’t hear it from the South Bank. I’ve come on here many times after having a good sing song in the quad to read other posters say how quiet the north bank was.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sat there regularly over the past few years and you are right sometimes that atmosphere over there is good, but like the away fans last night you won’t hear it from the South Bank. I’ve come on here many times after having a good sing song in the quad to read other posters say how quiet the north bank was.
I do wonder how much of that is down to acoustics and the open ends. Perhaps there's an expert on here?
But I have read that it does make a difference in these stadiums that are completely bordered.

W

WasStefan

I remember when the north bank used to reply with ‘north bank give us a song’ with ‘the north bank, the north bank’

What happened toffs?

W

WasStefan

I do wonder how much of that is down to acoustics and the open ends. Perhaps there's an expert on here?
But I have read that it does make a difference in these stadiums that are completely bordered.
Nowt to do with acoustics. They just dont sing, unless they sing silently with their arms firmly folded

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Same mate, I'm in the Southbank and voice ropey today after the chanting last night.
Thought it was ok in the Southbank tbf. To read people saying 'southbank should hold there heads in shame' on here, hahahah, seems odd.

Yeah the few in the corner of Steve Bull gave it a go but to me had a good laugh and chant in Southbank.
Is there some unwritten rule people in the other stands can't chant but blame the Southbank when not much chanting?

R

reanswolf

I always dreamt of a new Steve Bull stand much closer to the pitch and linked to the two ends.

Ground design fundamentally dictates how good your support is, or perhaps more importantly, how loud it appears to be. Anfield, Fratton Park, even the Whorethorns can really be noisy but largely it’s because they are enclosed grounds. It just reverberates around, whereas at Molineux it just drifts.

W

WasStefan

I always dreamt of a new Steve Bull stand much closer to the pitch and linked to the two ends.

Ground design fundamentally dictates how good your support is, or perhaps more importantly, how loud it appears to be. Anfield, Fratton Park, even the Whorethorns can really be noisy but largely it’s because they are enclosed grounds. It just reverberates around, whereas at Molineux it just drifts.
Yep, and the biggest flaw of the ground redev was they should have done the bully first. Biggest outlay out the way and done. We’d now be talking about linking either the north bank or south bank to it at a much lesser cost than the steve bull, with south bank probably winning the argument based on atmosphere need. Imagine a steve bull stand linked to the south bank. Be electric

Another thing to thank Morgan for……

R

reanswolf

Yep, and the biggest flaw of the ground redev was they should have done the bully first. Biggest outlay out the way and done. We’d now be talking about linking either the north bank or south bank to it at a much lesser cost than the steve bull, with south bank probably winning the argument based on atmosphere need. Imagine a steve bull stand linked to the south bank. Be electric

Another thing to thank Morgan for……
Totally agree

R

reanswolf

You missed "never had a Baggie in our seats" then? Must be going deaf in your old age. Not that we heard your lot much last night either.
Problem is also that those singers in far corner of Steve Bull are screened off from many in the South Bank by the end of the stand

GV Wolf

Reaction score
The previous north bank was loud and you could hear the north bank sing and that had open ends but a deep roof.. This new north bank (Well 10 years old) as has been said before has an acoustic issue and you can hardly hear the north bank/quadrant.
Finally there is always an atmosphere issue when away supporters are in the quadrant and not next to the south bank.

R

reanswolf

The previous north bank was loud and you could hear the north bank sing and that had open ends but a deep roof.. This new north bank (Well 10 years old) as has been said before has an acoustic issue and you can hardly hear the north bank/quadrant.
Finally there is always an atmosphere issue when away supporters are in the quadrant and not next to the south bank.
I think away fans in the Quadrant can be loud though.

Darbena

Reaction score
I'd rather listen to the " sound of silence" than hear another rendition of " Barmy Army"... most tedious, inane chant going.

Thought the crowd were in fine voice last night.
Interesting I’d never of considered that particular Simon & Garfunkel number as a football chant, is it the reference to the subway that gives it the connection ?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Now sadly just a TV watcher but Molineux rarely seems raucous on the screen tbh. I don't think it's ever been intimidating like say Leeds or Milwall. It may be that we rarely get games now that generate a great atmosphere; I'm thinking back to City and Liverpool and Utd in the Cup plus further back to Leicester 4-3 or the Blackburn match. It needs the match to generate the atmosphere imo.

R

reanswolf

Now sadly just a TV watcher but Molineux rarely seems raucous on the screen tbh. I don't think it's ever been intimidating like say Leeds or Milwall. It may be that we rarely get games now that generate a great atmosphere; I'm thinking back to City and Liverpool and Utd in the Cup plus further back to Leicester 4-3 or the Blackburn match. It needs the match to generate the atmosphere imo.
It’s true, but grounds like Elland Road, Anfield, Selhurst Park all have tight enclosed grounds.

It’s not that their fans are more vocal, well maybe Leeds are, but it’s because of ground structure.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It’s true, but grounds like Elland Road, Anfield, Selhurst Park all have tight enclosed grounds.

It’s not that their fans are more vocal, well maybe Leeds are, but it’s because of ground structure.
Have to say that in my experience of current crowds Elland Rd is a level above anywhere else. Palace have their particular element, but I don't think Selhurst is amazing overall. Anfield hasn't been great, but in fairness we have to acknowledge it's not a big game for them (apart from the day they were failing to win the title!).

Although there's always a massive thing when clubs come up after a long break, be interesting to see what Elland Rd is like if they stay up for a few seasons. We're very much in that mode now for me, ironically the terror of relegation galvanised the support a bit.

R

reanswolf

Have to say that in my experience of current crowds Elland Rd is a level above anywhere else. Palace have their particular element, but I don't think Selhurst is amazing overall. Anfield hasn't been great, but in fairness we have to acknowledge it's not a big game for them (apart from the day they were failing to win the title!).

Although there's always a massive thing when clubs come up after a long break, be interesting to see what Elland Rd is like if they stay up for a few seasons. We're very much in that mode now for me, ironically the terror of relegation galvanised the support a bit.
Totally agree.

Same applies to Forest

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
Sitting in the Billy Wright, the Steve Bull was much louder than the South Bank most of the time. The North Bank is a pale shadow of what it was. It’s probably an age thing, the North Bank mainly consists of people in their 50s and 60s a bit like most of the Billy Wright. We were all pretty noisy in the 1960s and 70s but not now.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flags have definitely added to the atmosphere and visually must be inspiring to the players when they walk out ......However we do seem to lack of have forgotten some of the simple more rythmic chants that are easy to join in with ....Most of our better 'song's are linked to a specfic player or a particular ex hero who retired 20 years ago , who when not playing or move on leave a void in the 'song list' ......More 'Wolves'/ Wolverhampton / Wanderers chants are needed

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is definitely an acoustics issue, between stands.

The south Bank were quiet 90% of the match from the North Bank on Tuesday, yet i've heard others say they never hear the away supporters when sat in the quadrant of the North Bank, every time someone is sat in there.

Steve Bull sounded much louder than the South Bank the other night, but in reality this probably wasn't the case.

Having sat in North Bank upper and Steve Bull upper over past couple of seasons, there feels like more in the North Bank are singing than Steve Bull when in the stand.

Biggest atmosphere's come from when a loud away support are stretched across the Steve Bull and all singing.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do other clubs have the inter stand rivalry we've got at the Molineux?
no. ours is pathetic and it detracts from our support. i have always loathed it. the old left side/right side nonsense was worse and south bank looking down on north is equally stupid

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Proving the point that the empty barrel makes the most noise

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Bull made Wolves, and he is still helping them looking above them. In relation to the atmosphere. Made all of the difference. We should have a lights show every game. Molineux is a fortress. Bring all of your flags, your balloons, and get behind the team lads.
The lights show really only works for dark night matches. It loses 90% of its impact in daylight.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The lights show really only works for dark night matches. It loses 90% of its impact in daylight.
Yes, glad the club (and fan group) is doing so much to try to improve the atmosphere. A 'light show' at 7.20 on a late April evening is pretty pointless though.

superwolves

Reaction score
New songs original songs and plenty will join in. Many of the current songs have become stale over time

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
New songs original songs and plenty will join in. Many of the current songs have become stale over time
Do you mean sing new songs and our old ones? Or new original songs?

We don't need any new songs, we've got plenty, we just need to sing em all. Those days when we sing all our songs and loads of us join in make me extra proud to be a Wolves fan. Off the top of my head I remember Charlton, Forest and Palace away in recent years and Brentford away this (I've only been to a couple this season though) - come on you Wolves, we love you Wanderers, Wanderers scarf, we are Wolves, and it's Wolverhampton etc. Then you've got the weird songs like Wolves are gonna win today and all the songs we currently do well - the player and JL songs, Stevie Bull's a tatter, Wolves ay we, Barmy Army, Wolverhampton Wan-der-ers etc. Plently in our songbook, it just needs dusting off more often!

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re ****ed when Raul,Neves and Moutinho leave.
We are if we don't return to club songs. Kind of wish we'd gone the way Villa did with the Coady song:

Every week we follow
The boys in claret and blue
We conquered all of Europe
In 1982 [you never mentioned that]
The Villa boys from Aston
We travel near and far
You will hear us singing
From the stands of Villa Park
Allez Allez Allez
Allez Allez Allen etc.

Not great but I'd prefer more club songs than player/manager songs. Next time we're copying a Liverpool song they probably copied from Europe, we could try that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom