Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Athletic article on ticket prices in the premier league

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

A good article on the outlook for prem tickets in general. Feels that they will just keep going up and up. Interesting that overseas fans consider premier league tickets very cheap. How clubs are now trying to offer packages in addition to tickets is also interesting. £4.2k for autograph package at man city lol

"matchday takings account for only 18 per cent of revenue for the world’s 20 richest clubs, far less than commercial (42 per cent) and broadcast (40 per cent) areas, with ticket prices an even smaller fraction of that."

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately that only confirms what we already knew, clubs will start to move further away from a local fanbase and target tourism and overseas packages more and more. The idea that the local fans are the lifeblood of a club is just lip service now. All clubs will have to follow this model or get left hopelessly behind.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately that only confirms what we already knew, clubs will start to move further away from a local fanbase and target tourism and overseas packages more and more. The idea that the local fans are the lifeblood of a club is just lip service now. All clubs will have to follow this model or get left hopelessly behind.
Look at the amount of fans Hwang brings here

What if we signed another Asian player, it would double? Japan have good players.

Could we sign Paik Seung-ho on the cheap if blues go down and keep the Korean following going? Just an idea Iv never seen him play.

Unfortunately us legacy fans are being pushed out. That’s how it is.

the genius

Reaction score
Its no longer the working man's game and thats been the case for many years

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What if we signed another Asian player, it would double? Japan have good players.

Could we sign Paik Seung-ho on the cheap if blues go down and keep the Korean following going? Just an idea Iv never seen him play.

I always think we missed the boat by Colin Lee not playing and signing Sami Al-Jaber. Had he signed permanently and been a success maybe we would have been the first club to have been bought by an Arab Gulf state back in 2000. Not that I think Sir Jack would necessarily have sold but it's a thought.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It's getting to the point where we are no longer fans, more of cast members for each "broadcast production" providing noise and atmosphere for the watching audience.

Clubs will undoubtedly look at the subscription model for their media channels, at which point I think they should start to pay those attending games for their participation. I would accept c£4k per season as my fee.

Yeah, I know, like that's ever going to happen.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
agreed, interesting to see how it is manifesting, molineux redevelopment space anyone?!?
Still find it baffling that clubs do all they can to screw revenue without addressing the cost size. Players unionised and agents know the business so a lot easier to just get more money out of the unorganized masses that follow with blind loyalty. (sounds harsh but is true)

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Is it really that many in the grand scheme of things?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve literally got a couple of handful of tourist fans purely coming to see Hwang, he goes and they invariably go (I haven’t seen a Mexico flag in the crowd since Raul left).

Well never be a tourist club like the London clubs, Manchester ones or Liverpool. Bluntly because the City doesn’t have the attractiveness of those cities. You’d come to Wolverhampton for the match and that’s it. You aren’t attracting say a gang of lads from Spain on a stag weekend to Wolverhampton but those other cities will. Or a weekend break with the wife where you slip a game in and balance it with some sight seeing, top bars/restaurants, shopping etc. I can only imagine Pierre from Paris convincing his Mrs of a weekend in Wolverhampton, but of shopping in the wulfrun centre, check out the charity shops, then a lovely 3 course meal in the spoons before retiring to the bar in the Britannia for a cognac before bed!

Local fans are absolutely 100% our life blood.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve literally got a couple of handful of tourist fans purely coming to see Hwang, he goes and they invariably go (I haven’t seen a Mexico flag in the crowd since Raul left).

Well never be a tourist club like the London clubs, Manchester ones or Liverpool. Bluntly because the City doesn’t have the attractiveness of those cities. You’d come to Wolverhampton for the match and that’s it. You aren’t attracting say a gang of lads from Spain on a stag weekend to Wolverhampton but those other cities will. Or a weekend break with the wife where you slip a game in and balance it with some sight seeing, top bars/restaurants, shopping etc. I can only imagine Pierre from Paris convincing his Mrs of a weekend in Wolverhampton, but of shopping in the wulfrun centre, check out the charity shops, then a lovely 3 course meal in the spoons before retiring to the bar in the Britannia for a cognac before bed!

It's a challenge for sure but we'll never be able to compete and may as well give up and go back to the Championship if we just say we're only going to concentrate of catering for 30,000 local fans.

However. as Birmingham grows and becomes more attractive we are going to have to swallow our local pride and market ourselves accordingly. The transport links between Birmingham and Wolverhampton are decent. If the council can get their act together and we can get some decent investment into the City Centre we might have a chance. not saying we have to call ourselves Greater Birmingham Wanderers or anything but we can't just leave that particular pie unhindered to Villa.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's getting to the point where we are no longer fans, more of cast members for each "broadcast production" providing noise and atmosphere for the watching audience.

Clubs will undoubtedly look at the subscription model for their media channels, at which point I think they should start to pay those attending games for their participation. I would accept c£4k per season as my fee.

The next big revolution in football will be the abandonment of collective bargaining and deals for TV rights and the ability of the clubs to broadcast, stream and sell the rights to their games themselves. It will mean the death of football but mark my words, it's coming.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah it’s hard to see how fans coming in for a game or two per year would really shift ticket prices. As has been mentioned it’s a tiny % of attendees. Think what’s shifting ticket prices is the fact that PL ticket prices are really low in comparison to most spectacles, not just NA sporting events, and they’re catching up. It’s not me buying 3 tickets, it’s that they’ve been leaving money on the table and they’re figuring it out. Nobody wants to pay more but come on, you’re getting more. Best league in the world.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it really that many in the grand scheme of things?
Well every game there is reportedly a huge gathering waiting for him….

Now if they go to the game fair enough they obviously are bringing in money to the club….

We do need a slightly bigger stadia to accommodate everyone maybe 40/45k whilst we are in the top level of English football.

Commercial value shirt sales abroad ect. Hard to say without being within the club. However the fact we want to go back to Korea on tour / America must mean something. Like others have said we are now targeting foreign investment and fans….

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a challenge for sure but we'll never be able to compete and may as well give up and go back to the Championship if we just say we're only going to concentrate of catering for 30,000 local fans.

However. as Birmingham grows and becomes more attractive we are going to have to swallow our local pride and market ourselves accordingly. The transport links between Birmingham and Wolverhampton are decent. If the council can get their act together and we can get some decent investment into the City Centre we might have a chance. not saying we have to call ourselves Greater Birmingham Wanderers or anything but we can't just leave that particular pie unhindered to Villa.
I’m not saying that. I’m saying if we ever increase capacity the target market is the local one way before the idea of attracting tourist fans.

Only my personal opinion and not one I’m proud to give but I think it’s too late to save Wolverhampton as a city now. The council could chuck £100s of millions at it and it wouldn’t scratch the surface.

The regeneration of Birmingham as a City was as a result of decades of no investment and they’ve nearly bankrupt themselves to get anywhere near where they were 30 years ago (which they haven’t as yet). It’s still a very unfashionable city and doesn’t attract tourists. The Blues have some very ambitious plans but it’s all set round infrastructure, they might (big might!!!) attract tourist football fans if they invested heavily on the pitch and turned them into a top 4 team in the uk but I can’t see that happening.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next big revolution in football will be the abandonment of collective bargaining and deals for TV rights and the ability of the clubs to broadcast, stream and sell the rights to their games themselves. It will mean the death of football but mark my words, it's coming.
The TV aspect of that will undoubtedly happen to follow the North American model. I don’t necessarily think it will be the death of football. There’s nothing like watching a match live at any level and TV won’t replicate that. Sure some fair weather fans might prefer it but on the whole real football fans will go live. It’s why when fans get priced out of going to Wolves they’ll go and see non league football instead. The clubs will always need fans in the ground as that’s part of the atmosphere for tv as well (we all remember how tedious football was in Covid with no atmosphere) and they’ll have to price it accordingly.

If I was offered my season ticket at todays price or access to a subscription service to watch every minute of Wolves games on tv at a silly cheap price of say £80 a year, I’d still 100% still keep my season ticket.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The TV aspect of that will undoubtedly happen to follow the North American model. I don’t necessarily think it will be the death of football. There’s nothing like watching a match live at any level and TV won’t replicate that. Sure some fair weather fans might prefer it but on the whole real football fans will go live. It’s why when fans get priced out of going to Wolves they’ll go and see non league football instead. The clubs will always need fans in the ground as that’s part of the atmosphere for tv as well (we all remember how tedious football was in Covid with no atmosphere) and they’ll have to price it accordingly.

If I was offered my season ticket at todays price or access to a subscription service to watch every minute of Wolves games on tv at a silly cheap price of say £80 a year, I’d still 100% still keep my season ticket.
I should have said the death of competitive football. The gap between Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and the rest will explode if they are allowed to negotiate their own deals. No club outside of that group will ever breach the top 6 again unless any kind of financial regulation is abandoned and Newcastle can spend like drunken sailors .

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well every game there is reportedly a huge gathering waiting for him….

Now if they go to the game fair enough they obviously are bringing in money to the club….

We do need a slightly bigger stadia to accommodate everyone maybe 40/45k whilst we are in the top level of English football.

Commercial value shirt sales abroad ect. Hard to say without being within the club. However the fact we want to go back to Korea on tour / America must mean something. Like others have said we are now targeting foreign investment and fans….
It’s a tiny % and with our capacity those tickets would have sold anyway.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So now the concern is that Birmingham will become so interesting that tourists will visit, take the train to Wolves matches, and ruin the club via commute?

As it stands now UK citizens are absolutely abused when it comes to watching games on television/app. Any model would be better.

The price of gear and tickets will probably go up but I think everyone can relax on the rest.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a tiny % and with our capacity those tickets would have sold anyway.
Depends if we progress as a club more fans want to attend

So it’s hard to tell. If we go down the plastics will stop going and it will be back to 25k unless we are towards the top. The first few home games under Nuno didn’t sell out. I think boro maybe did Millwall didn’t that was low I think around 26k

If we want more fans from abroad coming we need a slightly bigger ground??

At the moment the youngsters are priced out and can’t get to a game anyway from what others have said, our next generation of fans could suffer??

I suppose if we want ground improved Fosun will move us out of Molineux which will not be popular????? However Molineux is on a lease so not sure how that would work

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s not ‘legacy’ fans that are being pushed out, just the poor ones. There have always been fans that used to be able to go to the football but now can’t because of their own economic position. It’ll ever be thus.
However, more does need to be done on making Wolves and Molineux more accessible to all fans, regardless of financial ability to pay. Maybe a thousand tickets per game to go to members who are facing hardship, possibly through a ballot, perhaps. It would be beneficial to many peoples mental health to be out doing something they love and it would also be a great gesture by the club.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not ‘legacy’ fans that are being pushed out, just the poor ones. There have always been fans that used to be able to go to the football but now can’t because of their own economic position. It’ll ever be thus.
However, more does need to be done on making Wolves and Molineux more accessible to all fans, regardless of financial ability to pay. Maybe a thousand tickets per game to go to members who are facing hardship, possibly through a ballot, perhaps. It would be beneficial to many peoples mental health to be out doing something they love and it would also be a great gesture by the club.
Good idea and potential good use for the Graham Hughes.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a great thought but I can't see it happening. I can't see how it would increase overall revenue and that's the bottom line for the owners of premier League clubs.

In todays parlance 'Family club' means unsuccessful lower league club

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it does show where we are with pricing only 6 clubs have cheaper tickets than us putting us well toward the bottom end of the Prem table and roughly where we will finish lol

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240412_124720_Chrome.jpg
Thought this was fantastic when I came across it

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yeah it’s hard to see how fans coming in for a game or two per year would really shift ticket prices. As has been mentioned it’s a tiny % of attendees. Think what’s shifting ticket prices is the fact that PL ticket prices are really low in comparison to most spectacles, not just NA sporting events, and they’re catching up. It’s not me buying 3 tickets, it’s that they’ve been leaving money on the table and they’re figuring it out. Nobody wants to pay more but come on, you’re getting more. Best league in the world.
This is the trouble though, I'll pay £50-80 to see a big gig or a show. It's a one off payment for guaranteed entertainment and a great time (usually). You can check the reviews, you know the songs. I think if you're a tourist coming to a game then it's probably similar, the game might not be great, but it'll still be a 'spectacle' you can say you've seen a game, watched whoever play etc. £50 probably feels like great value.

Our experience is completely different though. If we lose we don't care if it was a 'spectacle' or we got to see Rashford score! We're not there for a one off spectacle, we've seen it all before, we want that joy of a goal (without the wait to see if VAR can think of a way to rule it out), of a win against the odds.

None of that matters though, they'll sell it at the prices that generate the most money they can get, it's as simple as that.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think this will happen as the PL can't afford that to happen and want control of the broadcasting revenue and distribution. It is intrinsic to their value.

I do agree that the clubs will stream games for a fee though and that fee will go directly to the club/ PL and not broadcasters.

That's a huge risk on the clubs part but the revenues could be staggering.

Of course this pursuit of money wouldn't be necessary footballers salaries were capped.

Last edited:

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought the example in the article that Liverpool do selling cheap tickets to a select number but have to have an 'L' postcode was a good initiative. From a club that FSG generally only make money decisions. Probably one PR exercise to keep some form of backing,
Similar thing would work for any club.

There needs to be some initiative on youth most definitely. Most young people will not have been to a single match and so Fifa games and TV their only exposure. No wonder they all support top 6 sides. But clubs have prioritised short term profits in ticketing rather than this and its a massive shame and missed opportunity imo

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Birmingham is close by as an alternative to spending your evening/sleeping in town, is it not.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Birmingham is close by as an alternative to spending your evening/sleeping in town, is it not.
It is but if you were a football tourist, on that basis would you not just go and see Villa instead?

Again I doubt despite all the £100s of millions spent on Birmingham as a city it does or will attract waves of tourists (football or not). Let’s face it for want of a better word the West Midlands just isn’t “sexy”. It will never have the allure of London, Manchester or Liverpool.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

crowds and atmosphere will be provided by AI

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At some point they're going to kill the golden goose, right?

I really do envy the culture Germany has around football. The product on the pitch is worse, but the fans are treated properly and it sure looks like they have a good time anyway. This resistance to optimization culture (ironic for Germany) is so refreshing.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the trouble though, I'll pay £50-80 to see a big gig or a show. It's a one off payment for guaranteed entertainment and a great time (usually). You can check the reviews, you know the songs. I think if you're a tourist coming to a game then it's probably similar, the game might not be great, but it'll still be a 'spectacle' you can say you've seen a game, watched whoever play etc. £50 probably feels like great value.

Our experience is completely different though. If we lose we don't care if it was a 'spectacle' or we got to see Rashford score! We're not there for a one off spectacle, we've seen it all before, we want that joy of a goal (without the wait to see if VAR can think of a way to rule it out), of a win against the odds.

None of that matters though, they'll sell it at the prices that generate the most money they can get, it's as simple as that.
I hear you but it’s just not that many tickets, it’s never going to be, and when the quality of football goes up the price has to as well.

You can go straight to thinking about Rashford but if you want to see Brazilian internationals, the unplayable Pedro Neto, and Rayan Ait-Nouri, or the inimitable Mario Lemina, you’ll have to pay spectacle prices. They’re spectacular.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I hear you but it’s just not that many tickets, it’s never going to be, and when the quality of football goes up the price has to as well.

You can go straight to thinking about Rashford but if you want to see Brazilian internationals, the unplayable Pedro Neto, and Rayan Ait-Nouri, or the inimitable Mario Lemina, you’ll have to pay spectacle prices. They’re spectacular.
Yes, think is first of all often STH aren't that bothered about match day pricing, but 12 months down the line they find that's what they are paying themselves. Also let's say Wolves sell 22.5k ST at relatively reasonable prices and keep 5k to sell match to match. Most of them are going to members, those are genuine Wolves fans getting in when they can, they feel the same way I do at 5pm Friday. Those prices are already frankly insane. I used to bring my grandson sometimes, now it's mad. Still winds me up that without a membership he has to pay adult prices at 19. I think it's £48 in the South Bank for Saturday - ridiculous.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps I’m just used to much higher prices over here, any good seat for NBA or NHL in Toronto costs what a hospitality package does in Wolverhampton. And season tickets aren’t for most people, myself included, even if you split them. Been that way for years.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actual fans are what keeps a club going when it falls on hard times.

Back
Top Bottom