Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Arsenal victim of fans Twitter jokes as ‘Champions League theme’ is seemingly played at King Charles III’s coronation

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jake Lambourne

Football fans couldn’t believe their ears during King Charles III’s coronation as the ‘Champions League theme’ was seemingly played.

As the 74-year-old sat inside Westminster Abbey waiting to be crowned, UEFA’s iconic anthem was performed to those in attendance.

Getty
Fans thought the Champions League anthem was being played at King Charles III’s coronation[/caption]
Getty
Supporters joked the music has them excited for next week’s semi-finals[/caption]
Though in what may disappointment supporters, it wasn’t played in anticipation of the Champions League semi-finals next week.

Instead, the song was performed as the original piece – George Frideric Handel’s Zadok the Priest – was composed for King George II’s coronation in 1727.

It has since been traditionally played during the anointing of every subsequent British monarch.

But football fans associate the music with Europe’s premier competition, with English composer Tony Britten adapting his own version of Zadok the Priest when commissioned by UEFA in 1992 to write the new anthem.

And Twitter users were quick to take to social media to comment on the piece of music, with many mocking Arsenal.

One fan joked: “The closest Arsenal fans have come to hearing the Champions League Anthem in seven years.”

What’s a Coronation without the Champions League anthem?

Huge scenes. #Coronation pic.twitter.com/ACuVayFxz7

— Barstool Football (@StoolFootball) May 6, 2023

Most read in football​

I played under Lampard but I'm more likely to fight him than say hello if I saw him

Wrexham players 'forced' into Vegas trip welcomed poolside and party with Steve Aoki

Man United legend clashes with player who scored stoppage-time winner and sparks melee

Liverpool 1-0 Brentford LIVE REACTION: Reds close gap to Man United with another win

Wolves fan demands apology from Agbonlahor after Villa legend 'slagged them off'

Guardiola rages at Haaland from touchline after Gundogan's penalty miss
Getty - Pool
The ‘Champions League theme’ derives from Zadok the Priest[/caption]
Another quipped: “Bit much to celebrate Arsenal’s return to the Champions League but we’ll take it.”

A third added: “For all the Arsenal fans, this is the Champions League theme.”

This supporter commented: “Does being crowned King automatically qualify one for the Champions League?!”

And one said: “F*** me, this music is getting me gassed for Champions League football next season.”

Getty
Erling Haaland uses the piece of music as his ringtone[/caption]
This user stated: “Watching the coronation and the music gets me excited about the Champions League next week!”

Another person that may have been delighted to hear the anthem – should he have been watching and listening – is Manchester City striker Erling Haaland.

The 22-year-old revealed in 2022 how he uses the Champions League anthem as his ringtone.

Giving his reasoning to City’s media team, he remarked: “I always like the Champions League and it is a bit more special in my eyes.”

And the Norwegian marksman could lift the famous trophy at the end of the season with the Citizens in the last-four of the competition.

With 12 goals in the tournament this season, he is the Champions League’s top scorer.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom