Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Arsenal Verdict

colincameron

Reaction score
Ultimately, going into the world cup break, the only real genuine positive is the fact that Julen picked up the phone when he did. With any of the other realistic options we had out there, perhaps with the exception of nuno, we’d be as good as down already. With him, at least, we have a chance.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feared a hammering, it didn’t happen, we were unlucky with some decisions. Todays game has no bearing on the rest of the season, people will get negative after a loss and in a normal season we would be really, really up against it. This season I think we’re just up against it.

I look forward to Gillingham and Everton. I expect to see a marked improvement in organisation and fitness. We’ll have Costa back. I would also expect us to go 5:3:2 for a while.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rubbish, as we've come to expect. Yes we ran around a lot, but any team can do that - we didn't deserve anything from the game. Bueno, B Traore and Neves were again our 3 best players. Toti, Guedes and Semedo did OK. Kilman and Collins at the back are poor - they seem to have zero confidence. And our set pieces are still unbelievably ****. Can the new guy get us out of this rut? I bloody hope so.
Rubbish? No not really. Bottom of the table against top.
It's not these games that kill us, it is the having no attack against the teams in the mid and lower table

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An improvement but still an absolute stroll in the park for the opposition really. It’s all well and good playing on the break but when you finish like we do we could play all week and not score. We will go down as the most toothless side in Premier League history.

I feel we have left the managerial appointment way too late and it’s going to be a huge struggle to turn things around. Personally, I can’t see it happening. I think we need a small miracle to stay in the division.

I don’t remember ever having a feeling of such hopelessness watching the team go forward.

Ultimately today brings the end one of the most unenjoyable periods of a season that I can remember. We finish it exactly where we deserve to be - the worst team in the division.

I’m glad we have a break where I can try and forget about this dreadful football team for a few weeks and can come back in December after being let down by the other team in our lives with a clean slate and a fresh start under Julen.

Side note; the referee was an absolute joke. Someone tell me how you can justify booking Bueno for kicking the ball away, when you’ve had a word with Ben White for throwing the ball away. How you can justify booking our player for stopping their break, but give an Arsenal player a telling off for the same offence. I am convinced there will be something come out one day about the PL and referees. A complete joke.

Last edited:

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No shame in losing to Arsenal in any season, never mind one where they look serious challengers for the title again. A decent performance from us, with a few half chances. Despite technically being bottom at Christmas, because of FIFA's heinous decision to award the World Cup to Cackar, and all that history tells us about the team bottom when we're stuffing our faces with that bird, I think we'll be alright. Julen has a lot to do but also has some good players to work with. Guedes with better decision-making in key moments could and maybe should have scored. Beuno again looks like he could be a star. Toti did admirably, as always, stepping into the breach, with next to no previous. But for me the most pleasing performance and man of the match in old gold was Boubacar, who just didn't stop running. His display tonight, more than anything, makes me optimistic for the rest of the season, once it resumes after this disgraceful charade, masquerading as the "beautiful game" played in stadiums built by decent folk who left home to do an honest days work, tragically never to see their loved ones again, is over!

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know, I don't watch every game. But we play decently enough until it comes to pulling the trigger

The whole point of the game is to score goals. If you can't do corners or don't have pace or can't play quick one twos, it doesn't matter. Other aspects can compensate. But if you can't score goals, then you are a bad team. It's that simple.

Got to emphasise the point, our goal-shy ness is of epic proportions. We are uniquely bad at it and have been for ages. It's not a blip. Or something we are not quite good at. We are beyond "a little below par". We are one of the very worst teams in all top European league at scoring goals. The only other teams anywhere near as bad as us are also relegation candidates.

Being decent apart from goal scoring is like being a nice guy apart from all those people you murdered!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If VAR had done it’s job properly it would have been a different game
Also anyone who doesn’t think tonight’s game DIDN’T have input from Loppy has rocks in their heads
Obvious to me he had prepped the team as it showed a marked improvement
Big job ahead. I can’t see us staying up
How the **** did it get to this ???
Whose Loppy ?

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If VAR had done it’s job properly it would have been a different game
Also anyone who doesn’t think tonight’s game DIDN’T have input from Loppy has rocks in their heads
Obvious to me he had prepped the team as it showed a marked improvement
Big job ahead. I can’t see us staying up
How the **** did it get to this ???
It's got to this because we have left player recruitment in the hands of a slime-ball agent! Simple.

dewolf1

Reaction score
This was a waiting to get beat performance with little energy or desire. I can’t see any positives at all Just more of the same. At 2-0 Arteta was going nuts at one point, when did wolves last show this level of motivation? Davis was thrown a hospital pass and seems like a throughly decent guy but let’s not kid ourselves his tenure has been nothing short of a disaster. I don’t share the optimism of many about JL, I have a horrible gut feeling he is going to be a major disappoinment. Throughly depressing end to the day.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck Julen, you're going to need it to keep this absolute shower up. We're going to need the January window of all January windows with at least one striker to get out of this mess. 8 goals in 15 games, absolutely pitiful.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama stood out alright, but (for me) not in the sense you are implying...very little threat, constantly surrendered possession and failed to track back on numerous occasions
Adama just doesn't look right. He still looks dangerous, but the other areas of his game are declining from what they were earlier in the season.

Sevenwolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Pretty much the score most of us predicted.

Some spirited performances. Bueno and Adama the stand outs. The referee and VAR as useless as one another.

I watched Brentford put in a very similar display earlier today and come away with a famous win. The difference? Not to be captain bleeding obvious, but having a goal scorer of course.

If Ivan Toney plays for us tonight we probably get something.

It was captured perfectly when Adama made the rapid Saliba look like Neill Collins. Then looked up to see a solitary Wolves player in the box. The 5 foot 5 Daniel Podence.

A massive period ahead. I believe in you Julen.
It’s fine margins at the top level and we had two really poor defensive moments which cost us the match. Didn’t see Brentford do that and a striker wouldn’t have prevented that.!

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we attacked we had 0-2 players in the box. When Arsenal attacked they had 5-6.

For me this was better than excpected though as I could see a real hammering. Guedes will become good, but probably not as the main striker. Please sign a couple of goalscorers.

Sa 6
Collins 5
Kilman 5
Toti 6
Semedo 6
Neves 6
Moutinho 6
B. Traore 7
Bueno 7
Guedes 7
Adama 6

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a set of players with promise but need a proper shape of play they are all familiar with to be competitive, a fit jimenez would make so much difference in the penalty area as every week we loose out on the lack of an effective striker.
Bouba, Collins, toti, Bueno, nunes, ait nouri and guedes are the future for us who will benefit from our new coaches. Not sure about Hwang or Costa giving us much more than huff and puff but the rest of our established players like podence, neves, moutinho, adama, sa plus fit again neto, sasa playing to potential and we can still save our place in the premier. An established ch and cf in January is a must to get the results in our favour and a balanced squad to work with.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why wasn't the pen given, and the Arsenal defender booked. As blatant as it gets.

What the **** is going on.

Disappointed but spirited.
Agree, what was strange was the lack of protest about it from our other players! It looked obvious to me on the Tv when it happened but thought otherwise based on the lack of appeal from us. When seeing it again I was amazed!

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s fine margins at the top level and we had two really poor defensive moments which cost us the match. Didn’t see Brentford do that and a striker wouldn’t have prevented that.!

No, but a striker like Toney would have given us a far better focal point and chance of taking opportunities we did create.

Whilst I agree with your point about defending, if Brentford play 2 wingers as CF's today they don't win the game.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The season starts now

Sorry but I just don’t understand this mindset.

For me, it’s this mindset that’s partly the reason we’re in this mess. Jeff dithering on pulling the trigger on Lage when it should have been done in the summer. Then messing about again getting a proper manager in while winnable games passed us by.
Consequently we’re now in a situation where it really is **** or bust with Lopetegui.

The season started 3 months ago for us, just as it did for the other 19 teams in this league.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama stood out alright, but (for me) not in the sense you are implying...very little threat, constantly surrendered possession and failed to track back on numerous occasions
I thought Adama was crap tonight. The sooner he's out our team and we can get an actual footballer with a brain and who can score, the better

Sevenwolves

Groupie
Reaction score
No, but a striker like Toney would have given us a far better focal point and chance of taking opportunities we did create.

Whilst I agree with your point about defending, if Brentford play 2 wingers as CF's today they don't win the game.
Agree with that but that didn’t seem to be your original point

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but I just don’t understand this mindset.

For me, it’s this mindset that’s partly the reason we’re in this mess. Jeff dithering on pulling the trigger on Lage when it should have been done in the summer. Then messing about again getting a proper manager in while winnable games passed us by.
Consequently we’re now in a situation where it really is **** or bust with Lopetegui.

The season started 3 months ago for us, just as it did for the other 19 teams in this league.
I think they’re just saying the season starts now because we have a second chance.. no one is suggesting we shouldn’t have sorted things out much sooner.

We have a break, we have a new gaffer with new ideas.. it’s needed. We would 100% be down without those things.. but that’s the reality. We can come out of this break a new team.

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We've thrown away 7 games waiting for Lopetegui, lets hope it works out but if we go down it will be due to the last 6 weeks. We've sleepwalked through them and we were lucky to get 4 points from 21, we probably deserved two. Oddly enough today was probably the first time we've gone into a game with the right approach, to keep it tight and hope to hit them on the break, getting a result being the plan rather than a decent performance.

I think we got a hint of what Davis' brief was though from Shi's programme notes today where he basically said Davis had done well as performances had improved. An obviously laughable comment as they've been terrible but the emphasis should always be on collecting as many points as possible until a new manager arrives not a temporary manager creating an easy on the eye style of football.

All in all a terrible day after the other results, bottom and 5 points adrift due to goal difference is no doubt a huge psychological blow. I'm still confident we'll get out of it, but blimey we've really made it difficult for ourselves and it really didn't need to be.

Amsterdam Wolf

Reaction score
Too deep in the first half with a total lack of pressing gave Arsenal too much time on the ball piled pressure on us and we looked scrappy and with a lack of confidence. Good games from the youngsters Toni and Bueno. Guedes and Adama showed flashes of brilliance. If only Adama could play a simple pass instead of drilling it across the box between the middle of two arriving players. All in all some positives to take away from the game but we have been saying that all season. Time to turn "positives" into points. In my calculations to get to 40 points, we need 7 home wins against West Ham, Bournemouth, Leeds, Brentford, Palace, Villa & Everton. 1 Away win against Forest and pick up 6 draws on the road against Everton, Villa, Southampton, Fulham, Leicester and Brighton. Totalling 30 points +10 = 40 Points. Any points against Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea, and Arsenal would be an absolute bonus. Not Mission Impossible yet only 22 games left.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree, what was strange was the lack of protest about it from our other players! It looked obvious to me on the Tv when it happened but thought otherwise based on the lack of appeal from us. When seeing it again I was amazed!
The flag was up so everyone assumed it was offside

But we know now it wasn't

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Adama was crap tonight. The sooner he's out our team and we can get an actual footballer with a brain and who can score, the better

Oh good, we're back to this lazy crap about him not having a football brain.

To watch that game and come away thinking Adama is the problem is frankly ****ing amazing.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've thrown away 7 games waiting for Lopetegui, lets hope it works out but if we go down it will be due to the last 6 weeks. We've sleepwalked through them and we were lucky to get 4 points from 21, we probably deserved two. Oddly enough today was probably the first time we've gone into a game with the right approach, to keep it tight and hope to hit them on the break, getting a result being the plan rather than a decent performance.

I think we got a hint of what Davis' brief was though from Shi's programme notes today where he basically said Davis had done well as performances had improved. An obviously laughable comment as they've been terrible but the emphasis should always be on collecting as many points as possible until a new manager arrives not a temporary manager creating an easy on the eye style of football.

All in all a terrible day after the other results, bottom and 5 points adrift due to goal difference is no doubt a huge psychological blow. I'm still confident we'll get out of it, but blimey we've really made it difficult for ourselves and it really didn't need to be.
I agree. Jeff couldn’t control the reasons JL didn’t take the job at first opportunity, but he got his man.

It all hangs on this now. If JL does what we hope, it was a great call by the board.. if we go down, then they’re in the firing line.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Yes no strikers...why?
They knew that Raul.wasn't going to be fit ,so they loan out the kid and pin their hopes on the 2 metres tall striker who got injured almost immediately, unlucky ,but talk about eggs in one basket.
Such poor management which I cannot forgive that idiot Lage for.
Shi is also to blame for doing very little in the summer regarding strengthening a weak squad.
The target now has to be Survival.
Our new manager has a huge task on his hands, I just hope that Shi and Co back him otherwise it is championship football which is where Fosun came in I believe

Back
Top Bottom