Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Arsenal verdict

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Credit to Arsenal they came and stopped us creating many chances, got what they deserved.

I think this is a great example of where the crowd would have made a big difference. Molineux would have been rocking this evening and could have spurred the lads on, they looked very flat for most of the game.

Going to need to win the last 5 to get top 4 but you know what? Another Europa League qualification would be a great season it would just seem a disappointment when Champions League is a possibility.
Agree - said the same on the match thread. WE DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE and anyway this is football at it's wierdest.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m surprised, I thought we’d evolved into a counter-formation counterattacking squad. Like what’s the point of setting up to counter an attack with personnel that doesn’t match the danger. They had nothing in the middle, whatever they have is outside- very strange choice for me.

Also Adama has gone from rugby player to star football winger in less than a year, maybe it’s a bit much to expect him to be a striker already.

That said, it was the performances which prevented a draw.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
Couldn't believe we didn't offer more of an attacking threat. Dead ball positions to put pressure on Arsenal was poor. Corners couldn't beat first man. Frustrating sums up this game today.

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The pitch was awful as well.

What the **** is that about? Was it a plan? If so, why? If not, it's disgraceful. The ball wasn't rolling properly, Fratton Park was miles better ffs!!

I thought it was just me or my dodgy stream but the grass looked long. Maybe the groundsmen have covid and are isolating.

D

Deleted member 4436

**** it. I will give a review.
Dendoncker: 0

Roll on Wednesday to see him amble around another piece of grass with absolutely no intention of receiving a football.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before this game I thought it would be easier to gain CL qualification through winning the Europa League than through the Premier. Nothing has changed.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many times has Adama actually played up front? About two starts and three substitute appearances? It's a problem when Adama has been our main attacking threat since the restart but we need to fit Dendoncker in the middle... hindsight is always 20/20 but before the game it was the right lineup. We know Jota and Jimenez are the best pair if we play two up front but Jota has been non-existent since the restart. Coming off the bench, he played well for five mins before the drinks break came and we seemingly lost any momentum.

On the whole, Wolves are a team that usually works harder than the opposition which means we always have a chance, even when not playing well. Today we didn't work hard, every time we made some sort of combination it felt like an accident, we were just completely off. I think Arsenal will know they didn't even have to play well to win that game. Both teams there for the taking, we didn't seem to fancy it. Nobody seemed up for it. It's not as if we can see the opposition completely did a number on us. It was just a bit odd, and they took their chances well.

Not seen us that passive since Chelsea at home towards the beginning of the season when we got battered. Suppose we were due one.
Without looking he’s started in a front 2 a couple of times to minimal effect. He is probably the most effective winger in the league so play him on the wing. Tierney was terrified of him today and we should have exploited that more.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** it. I will give a review.
Dendoncker: 0

Roll on Wednesday to see him amble around another piece of grass with absolutely no intention of receiving a football.

I'd love to see what rating you give our other players based on that. I'd presume Boly, Coady, Moutinho and Jimenez would be in the minus figures for today's performance?

Dendoncker almost single-handedly pulled us through against Villa just seven days ago with a superb performance all over the pitch. Scapegoat because he runs a bit funny and doesn't look as pretty as Neves and Joao on the ball. He wasn't great today but literally not one of our players were.

Nuno subs him sometimes so he mustn't be that good. Watch the games with your eyes and form opinions based on fact, it's not that hard.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply not good; a defeat of the kind was gonna happen, but the way in which we lost wasn’t nice to watch.

No energy, shocking on set pieces, not much urgency in all areas and a rocky defence for both goals.

It’s all good having a lot of procession in the 2nd half, but doing nothing with it means nowt.

Wednesday against the Blades AND Everton on Saturday is a MUST WIN!

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't grasp the team selection.

Traore is only ever a striker when the opponents have to push up - like Man City away or when we are winning. Honestly, it's a decision I can't even comprehend. Utterly ridiculous.

We showed them too much respect, should've played 3-4-3 and attacked.

This is Nuno's problem and if we're honest it's been his problem for a while. We won three 'nothing' games after the restart but we lost this when we go behind.

Our record against sides 15th or above is W4-D13-L6.

At home, our record against the sides 15th or above is W1-D7-L4

Yes, really.

That's a MASSIVE problem.

We've effectively been flat-track bullies this season, quite funny considering last season. Also, I don't want to call them flukes because we deserved them but two of the four wins and the only win at Molineux was against Manchester City. The point is, there style is unique in Europe and clearly suits us.

Champions League over and Nuno needs to be more adventurous. It's holding him back from being an elite coach and at some point it will hold us back. This team are good at football. Player for player we should've backed ourselves to win. Instead we sit back, counter and don't play to our potential.
Jeez - we lost to Arsenal - yeah they're not the Arsenal of old - but still have dangerous players. Come on - lighten up or even light up and chill.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was pretty awful. Can't even remember the last time we played as poorly as that.

Scene was set by the team selection, but I really feared for us this evening when the lads emerged from the dressing room before kickoff...there just seemed no zest, spark or determination in any of them...they were like zombies walking out onto the pitch, and it didn't hardly improve once the game kicked off.

Not going to rate the players individually because there were simply no stand-out performers (at least not in the positive sense) today, although I have to say...is it just me, or was Jiménez totally and utterly anonymous today?

Felt the absence of Molineux crowd was a BIG factor. Can't imagine a performance that lacklustre from this team in front of a full house.

The worst thing about it.,.is gifting points to those North London goons...of all teams!!

Still, it's a wake up call for Wednesday. Nuno can't allow two consecutive performances like that surely?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, Nuno. Got it wrong twice today, but he's earned that right. Just one of those days where we were shown up, and that hurts, but it happens.

I don't mind Adama up front, but I do mind when he drifts out to the left and Raul finds himself on the right and then no one knows quite what to do because there's no one in the middle. Just didn't work.

Moutinho was inexplicably poor, especially on set pieces. Clever is great when it comes off, but we just looked like plonkers every single time today. Raul was wretched, but then he was trying to work with a new partner in the wrong position.

And then the substitutions, Neto for Doc, pushing Adama back instead of Jonny coming over... just... no. Last fifteen minutes we fell to pieces, and it could have been worse than 2-0.

If a week of preparation ends up in us overthinking to this extent, please give us two matches a week.

We are a top eight team. Which, after so many years of being crap, is wonderful. On our day we are top four, but not consistently. But we are upwardly mobile, and Europa to come, and all is not lost. Just one of those days where we tried to be something we aren't, I think.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s ok to be upset for a little bit after a home loss to a lesser outfit. Life is still good but that was hard to watch. 15 points left on the table COYW

D

Deleted member 4436

I'd love to see what rating you give our other players based on that. I'd presume Boly, Coady, Moutinho and Jimenez would be in the minus figures for today's performance?

Dendoncker almost single-handedly pulled us through against Villa just seven days ago with a superb performance all over the pitch. Scapegoat because he runs a bit funny and doesn't look as pretty as Neves and Joao on the ball. He wasn't great today but literally not one of our players were.

Nuno subs him sometimes so he mustn't be that good. Watch the games with your eyes and form opinions based on fact, it's not that hard.

I watched the game. He got hauled off after an hour.

Dendoncker has his place in this squad, but it most definitely isn’t in an attacking sense.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, Nuno. Got it wrong twice today, but he's earned that right. Just one of those days where we were shown up, and that hurts, but it happens.

I don't mind Adama up front, but I do mind when he drifts out to the left and Raul finds himself on the right and then no one knows quite what to do because there's no one in the middle. Just didn't work.

Moutinho was inexplicably poor, especially on set pieces. Clever is great when it comes off, but we just looked like plonkers every single time today. Raul was wretched, but then he was trying to work with a new partner in the wrong position.

And then the substitutions, Neto for Doc, pushing Adama back instead of Jonny coming over... just... no. Last fifteen minutes we fell to pieces, and it could have been worse than 2-0.

If a week of preparation ends up in us overthinking to this extent, please give us two matches a week.

We are a top eight team. Which, after so many years of being crap, is wonderful. On our day we are top four, but not consistently. But we are upwardly mobile, and Europa to come, and all is not lost. Just one of those days where we tried to be something we aren't, I think.
I disagree with the last sentence. We played exactly how we always do, sit back and invite pressure. We’ve conceded the first goal far to many times this season due to this.

North Bank

Reaction score
And don’t get me wrong, I’m not a happy bunny after that performance but to be disappointed about losing to Arsenal! It’s a mark of how far we have come as a club, the benchmark for success at this club has increased no end under this regime.

They’re not the Tony Adams and Patrick Vieira Arsenal of old or the invincible Arsenal, P-EA is a shadow of Thierry Henry but it is still Arsenal.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
After that how are people confident about europa league. Playing much better teams. Arsenal are ****e and we couldn't capitalise. Nuno needs to realise teams dont lie down in prem!!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The most annoying thing is Arsenal weren't even that good today. Urgh, bad day at the office, lets hope we have more impetus come Wednesday, Sheff Utd will be right in our faces.

Gedwolf

Reaction score
This was not the game to experiment with Adama up top, Jota benched and long throw- ins into the box

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Simply not good; a defeat of the kind was gonna happen, but the way in which we lost wasn’t nice to watch.

No energy, shocking on set pieces, not much urgency in all areas and a rocky defence for both goals.

It’s all good having a lot of procession in the 2nd half, but doing nothing with it means nowt.

Wednesday against the Blades AND Everton on Saturday is a MUST WIN!
I can guarantee we wont beat Everton on Saturday ... maybe Sunday.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 wins out of 4. Second least loses in the PL and 6th in the league. Losing hurts, but I am proud to be a Wolves fan, but then again, I was in the fourth division.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was not the game to experiment with Adama up top, Jota benched and long throw- ins into the box
Well we put Traore there for the last half hour of the Villa game and he didn’t look great, that was a good time to experiment but nothing was learned.

D

Deleted member 4436

3 wins out of 4. Second least loses in the PL and 6th in the league. Losing hurts, but I am proud to be a Wolves fan, but then again, I was in the fourth division.

And that’s really great. We all are. But let’s not ignore the importance of a Champions League spot to our club.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Nuno got the team wrong, can't remember saying that too many times. Disappointing as now I expect us to win every game but don't get too down hearted if we don't. On to Wednesday.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RWB and CB would be positions I’d look at. That Corona chap could be the Doherty replacement.

Yep. And I still think Boly is much more comfortable on the left than the right. So a RCB is the one we want. Dendonker, Saiss, Bennett, never quite convinced there.

Yamalritee

Reaction score
Hopefully that’s the reality check we needed to go on a good run until the end of season now. I think we got too complacent as team thinking we can win the games in the second half if we keep it tight in the first half.

I don’t think we should play 3-5-2 again we just become too predictable trying to look for traore’s pace every time. I think that game shows how important jota is for us and the team.

Now Wednesday becomes a massive game for us and for our aspirations for European football again next season.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't pass, ciuldnt defend and couldn't penetrate one of the worst defences in the league. Poor

It's looked the same for all of our games since the re-start (the lack of penetration). It has been Traore's introduction down the right that injected life and a cutting edge.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is I don’t think our defenders can cope with us going for teams.
They need the shape to contain as Doherty is too slow to get back and all 3 CBs struggle 1v1 to a degree (Boly less so than other two).
Doesn’t help we lack a proper athlete in middle of park. Lots to improve upon, but still well in command of a top 6 place.
I absolutely agree. We need better defensive options. Neves is working wonders in front of the defence. Still we are pretty good we need to improve to progress to the next level and it will be a challenge but that is footy

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Passive.

Hate to criticise the great man but Nuno made a few mistakes and they cost us.

Some games cry out for 352 and some got 343, this was 100% a 343 game. Get at them and beat them at their own game seeing as they’ve only just started playing it themselves. If we go 352 then there is no starting place for Adama, end of, he is simply half the player when he has his back to goal. I like is in a 352 but we really lack that midfielder who can play behind the strikers and create, i love Donk but he’s a box to box type who’s strengths aren’t on the ball.

We start getting on top, then change to 343 and get even more on top; Adama causing havoc and Doc getting more and more involved. I can see why Nuno put Neto on for Doc but it killed us. Simple as. As soon as that change happened, Adama was taken 20 yards away from their goal. It was almost a case of Nuno trying to influence something when he should have just let it happen instead of making a change that absolutely finished us in the game.

Fair play to Arsenal, took their chances, but we played the club and not the team.

D

Deleted member 4436

Passive.

Hate to criticise the great man but Nuno made a few mistakes and they cost us.

Some games cry out for 352 and some got 343, this was 100% a 343 game. Get at them and beat them at their own game seeing as they’ve only just started playing it themselves. If we go 352 then there is no starting place for Adama, end of, he is simply half the player when he has his back to goal. I like is in a 352 but we really lack that midfielder who can play behind the strikers and create, i love Donk but he’s a box to box type who’s strengths aren’t on the ball.

We start getting on top, then change to 343 and get even more on top; Adama causing havoc and Doc getting more and more involved. I can see why Nuno put Neto on for Doc but it killed us. Simple as. As soon as that change happened, Adama was taken 20 yards away from their goal. It was almost a case of Nuno trying to influence something when he should have just let it happen instead of making a change that absolutely finished us in the game.

Fair play to Arsenal, took their chances, but we played the club and not the team.

That.Last.Sentence.

Couldn’t agree more. They’re bang average.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree with the last sentence. We played exactly how we always do, sit back and invite pressure. We’ve conceded the first goal far to many times this season due to this.
Totally agree. That’s why we have the worst Pl first half record......
and we want to play CL?
I may be wrong but containment football and hoping for a draw or win by a breakaway is not usually the formula of winning sides.
It took us an average 1 hour to score against 3 very lowly teams, West Ham, Villa and Bournemouth .
And Arsenal are way better than those guys.

Last edited:

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully that’s the reality check we needed to go on a good run until the end of season now. I think we got too complacent as team thinking we can win the games in the second half if we keep it tight in the first half.

I don’t think we should play 3-5-2 again we just become too predictable trying to look for traore’s pace every time. I think that game shows how important jota is for us and the team.

Now Wednesday becomes a massive game for us and for our aspirations for European football again next season.
We can play 352 with Jota as he attacks, He just needs to pass abit more but he is a nightmare to play against. Traore not so much nothing against Traore this was not the game to surrender width in attack. Arsenal were better prepared, played better adapted better and tried better. We got what we deserved, that is life; we mice on.

Reactions: Ned

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We haven't got the excuse of Europa League excesses for such a performance this time round. Do you think it shows a lack of quality to be a regular top 6 team or is there an element of the team being sent out with the brakes on too often?

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We haven't got the excuse of Europa League excesses for such a performance this time round. Do you think it shows a lack of quality to be a regular top 6 team or is there an element of the team being sent out with the brakes on too often?

The latter unfortunately. It is the one thing that may hold nuno back from being a world class manager regrettably

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Season defining performance and ended with defeat. 6th is best we can hope for. Have to at least get Europa now.

Back
Top Bottom