Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are we missing out again on a key central midfielder?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to add another thread but I think this deserves a separate one. Delighted to hear the club are actually quite near on a CB and striker now hopefully. However for myself and many here the most important signing required is a dynamic central midfielder. Relying on a getting on for 35 Moutinho for a whole season is madness.

Dendoncker can do a good back up job. MGW is a No,10 or fill in winger not a box to box midfielder. Ruben needs a top class partner. I had hoped it was going to be Sanches but he is injured and perhaps we missed the boat on him in any case. Diawara has gone quiet. The lack of news makes me think the club are letting this position remain neglected. Can we really be going another season without a proper new quality midfielder? I know the club are scrabbling around for loans or whatever but come on this is so obviously a crucial need if we are going to achieve anything this season. Imagine if Neves gets injured, it would be the equivalent of the Jiminez situation last season and would cost us dear with only Dendoncker a serious replacement and he has his limitations. Coady in midfield? - his lack of pace would be cruelly exposed over night. Cundle and co far too inexperienced - Otasowie gone. Only Saiss might do a temporary job as defensive midfield. But what a huge step back that would represent.

This is not a moan. Just a huge concern that not bringing in someone could backfire badly and do big damage to our prospects. Actually if the two current front runners are signed our squad is looking very strong with Neto and Jonny hopefully returning by Christmas or early New Year. But matches are won in midfield and we look vulnerable at this very moment of time.....

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not moaning at all, I totally agree. A bit gobsmacked by suggestion from T Spiers that Bruno doesn't think we need one - he even says MGW can play there. Can he? In a two? I just don't see it. It's looks like Neves and Moutinho, with Dendoncker replacing Moutinho when necessary.

Maybe this sounds a bit spoiled given club is obviously being very active on transfer front, but I feel we're very close to being very competitive again IF the CD and forward come in, but would be skating on thin ice with current midfield options. I thought when Otasowie went that someone would come in.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think we will either have one come out of left field, or a deadline day arrival as we wait for chess pieces to fall/financial pressure really amps up on some clubs. Alternatively I wonder if Bruno feels that he can set the team up or coach our current players Mouts,Neves,Donck, MGW and perhaps use Saiss as a further option into a manner where we can last till January when perhaps options can be looked at again, just based on how different already we are playing in roles - Neves further forward etc

This is all just guesses though from my side.

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
We have to give them time. Hwang hadn't been mentioned until yesterday lunchtime then in 24 hours was coming for his medical.

We have to hope the same happens in midfield and that one of the defenders comes off.

We have 5 senior choices at CB and only 3 in CM making it an even higher priority in my opinion despite what Tim says.

R

reanswolf

I agree with every word you have said GE, but I have faith in Jeff and Fosun and I don't think they, especially Bruno, are that stupid in footballing terms to totally neglect midfield again. It was obvious that the existing midfield player options cannot last a whole season, without losing possession after 20 minutes and conceding the midfield. Though technically gifted (Mouts and Neves), they simply do not have the mobility, none of them, against the more athletic midfield units, and it will be very disheartening if it is ignored as it was last season. We haven't even got a big, mobile unit like Otasowie any more as an option, though I am not pretending he was the answer, but still showed promise.

I simply do not believe they will 'not' address this. It is simply inconceivable in footballing terms, surely, to ignore such a frailty in the team for yet another season. I accept Neves and Mouts have done far better than expected in the two games so far, but it is the reliance on them to produce week in week out which quickly sees deterioration in their performances. Now we have no real options.

In Jeff I trust.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this thread is certainly a fair and justifiable thread . Spiers suggesting we arent prioritising a central midfield signing and we have 3 central midfielders as to me MGW is not a central midfield player in a 2 and more attacking and that leaves Jordao who is crocked and Cundle who has never started a Premier league game.

If you look at the u23 squad we are weak in depth on central midfield players as well so no real back up at the club if we get injuries in this area.

Would seem very strange to leave such a vital area of the squad so weak on numbers. Very much hope we get a central midfield player in or it will be very disappointing, in my opinion.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do we know Lage wants a central midfielder, ultimately its down to him.
We may have convinced ourselves it’s a desperate requirement but he might see it differently.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way I can see us not signing a CM is if Bruno seems MGW to be a viable CM option (which isn't where I feel he sees him playing).

Dendoncker, Moutinho and Neves are all good individual players but as a unit they lack pace and power.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do we know Lage wants a central midfielder, ultimately its down to him.
We may have convinced ourselves it’s a desperate requirement but he might see it differently.
He said himself he thinks Neves, Moutinho and Dendoncker are too similar. Regardless of that we just look too short on numbers there if those are the only 3 who will be viable options for CM.

If we go with what we have then it is what it is, but I’d really like to see a CM addition. That on top of the CB and Hwang looking likely would leave us with a good squad and a good window in my opinion. Without the CM we’ve still had a decent window compared to what some were expecting but we risk being light in an important part of the pitch.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone really believe that anything we say on this thread is going to make any difference. Things are either in place or not. If it doesn't happen then that is the time for us to start moaning. See you all for debriefing on Wednesday. :D

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way I can see us not signing a CM is if Bruno seems MGW to be a viable CM option (which isn't where I feel he sees him playing).

Dendoncker, Moutinho and Neves are all good individual players but as a unit they lack pace and power.
Agreed. They can’t see 3 CM’s as sufficient, it doesn’t match his “2 fit every position “ mantra so if we don’t sign anymore they must see someone from within the squad as a 4th option there.

If we stay with a back 3 I think MGW becomes more viable as we’d have an extra CB to cover defensively, back 4 though and it becomes much less so.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He said himself he thinks Neves, Moutinho and Dendoncker are too similar. Regardless of that we just look too short on numbers there if those are the only 3 who will be viable options for CM.

If we go with what we have then it is what it is, but I’d really like to see a CM addition. That on top of the CB and Hwang looking likely would leave us with a good squad and a good window in my opinion. Without the CM we’ve still had a decent window compared to what some were expecting but we risk being light in an important part of the pitch.

I don’t think he said they were inherently similar, just that they were all playing similar roles and needed to mix it up. If so, some can be guided to play differently, within their capabilities.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I’d quite like to see Gibbs-White given a go in midfield, that’s where he played when he first came through and if we want someone who can carry the ball and make passes and even get into the box he fits the bill. Still remember him coming on in that Chelsea game in the first season up and having a stormer in that position. An extra forward means it’s pretty likely he drops back doesn’t it?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this thread is certainly a fair and justifiable thread . Spiers suggesting we arent prioritising a central midfield signing and we have 3 central midfielders as to me MGW is not a central midfield player in a 2 and more attacking and that leaves Jordao who is crocked and Cundle who has never started a Premier league game.

If you look at the u23 squad we are weak in depth on central midfield players as well so no real back up at the club if we get injuries in this area.

Would seem very strange to leave such a vital area of the squad so weak on numbers. Very much hope we get a central midfield player in or it will be very disappointing, in my opinion.
If we're very weak as you say we need more than 1 player for that area yet one signing would turn the tables on the judgement.....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone really believe that anything we say on this thread is going to make any difference. Things are either in place or not. If it doesn't happen then that is the time for us to start moaning. See you all for debriefing on Wednesday. :D
If they don’t happen, don’t moan. Won’t change anything anyway.

Jeff, Bruno and others are trying to make stuff happen. If it doesn’t happen, nobody will be more disappointed than they.
If, on Wednesday, Jeff and Bruno and everybody else at Compton can accept that, go to work and make the best of the situation, then we can too.

Wolves monitor social media and the last year must have been extremely lousy to read the tsunami of negativity on many platforms…..from Wolves fans , no less.
If the window closes with less than an ideal outcome, perhaps we can cut them some slack for a change.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wondering whether Bruno sees either of Coady or Saiss as backup midfielders?

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Jeff, Bruno and others are trying to make stuff happen. If it doesn’t happen, nobody will be more disappointed than they.
If, on Wednesday, Jeff and Bruno and everybody else at Compton can accept that, go to work and make the best of the situation, then we can too.

Wolves monitor social media and the last year must have been extremely lousy to read the tsunami of negativity on many platforms…..from Wolves fans , no less.
If the window closes with less than an ideal outcome, perhaps we can cut them some slack for a change.
Do you know what would stop the tsunami of negativity on social media platforms as you say... strengthening the areas required (at least it looks like they are with hee-chan and caleta-car/Botman) It's not like it's a new issue in midfield that has just popped up in the last few weeks everyone knows we have no pace in midfield and they are too similar even Bruno has said it, let's hope they do, do something about it.

(I'm not on any social media apart from the mix)

Last edited by a moderator:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you know what would stop the tsunami of negativity on social media platforms as you say... strengthening the areas required (at least it looks like they are with hee-chan and caleta-car/Botman) It's not like it's a new issue in midfield that has just popped up in the last few weeks everyone knows we have no pace in midfield and they are too similar even Bruno has said it, let's hope they do, do something about it.

(I'm not on any social media apart from the mix)
Don’t you think they want to make the team stronger? Please remember that the Mix doesn’t have a monopoly on how to manage a PL club.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Don’t you think they want to make the team stronger? Please remember that the Mix doesn’t have a monopoly on how to manage a PL club.
Yes... I also want to shack up with Margot Robbie but saying and doing are completely different. Also it's an opinion forum where people give opinions on the club, if you want just info don't bother with a forum just go to wolves.co.uk

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With an additional CB; that frees Saiss into a midfield role. Ideal - probably not, but it's an extra option. Let's wait and see, but the engine-room of the team is as important as ensuring we don't ship goals and score a few.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes... I also want to shack up with Margot Robbie but saying and doing are completely different. Also it's an opinion forum where people give opinions on the club, if you want just info don't bother with a forum just go to wolves.co.uk
I agree with you….it is an opinion forum and that’s all I was doing. Harmless.

R

reanswolf

In footballing terms there is no excuse ignoring midfield again, it was bad enough last season when week in week out as winter progressed we saw Neves and Mouts or Dendoncker outpaced, out-thought, and out-fought.

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
There is a theme on this forum that opinion and rumour are belittled, if you want fact as yeltzwolf suggests go to wolves fc.
If you disagree with the thread debate it's content, tell us what you think! If you think it's a pointless discussion then ignore it!
We've lost too many folk on here who were valued, who appeared to be ITK but got destroyed on these pages. Is it little wonder we have no idea what's going on anymore, I think this is a real shame.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In footballing terms there is no excuse ignoring midfield again, it was bad enough last season when week in week out as winter progressed we saw Neves and Mouts or Dendoncker outpaced, out-thought, and out-fought.
This and not to sound ungrateful is the position that needed sorting first before any this window. MGW is not a cm in any way shape or form. I would be shocked and even call it a bad window if this position wasn’t addressed!!!

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think he said they were inherently similar, just that they were all playing similar roles and needed to mix it up. If so, some can be guided to play differently, within their capabilities.
Perhaps, he has said he wants 2 for every position though so if we aren’t bringing a CM in them he must see someone from within in squad who can play there.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many transfer windows will this be where we’ve again ignored the CM that we desperately need? If we can see it then surely the powers that be can see it to.

R

reanswolf

There was a substantially-sized poll on here last season if I recall, 56% said CM was the key position needing strengthening, around 35% central defence. Any other position was less.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really hope so because it’s serious neglect if they don’t bring one in this window.
I think let’s see what they do in the next few days before we go full burning torches and pitchforks.
Plus surely Bruno should be allowed time. Just because our MF was poor last season doesn’t necessarily mean it will be now. He said they were doing too many similar things, maybe he can coach more from them in a different system?

Either way, there’s a few days yet!

R

reanswolf

I think let’s see what they do in the next few days before we go full burning torches and pitchforks.
Plus surely Bruno should be allowed time. Just because our MF was poor last season doesn’t necessarily mean it will be now. He said they were doing too many similar things, maybe he can coach more from them in a different system?

Either way, there’s a few days yet!
We do need to see what happens in the next few days.

But IMO you can't coach a player to be fundamentally different in terms of mobility and athleticism, well not much anyway. It may improve for a few games, but it inevitably reverts. I'd love to be proven wrong here, and would happily accept it if it happens.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do need to see what happens in the next few days.

But IMO you can't coach a player to be fundamentally different in terms of mobility and athleticism, well not much anyway. It may improve for a few games, but it inevitably reverts. I'd love to be proven wrong here, and would happily accept it if it happens.
I agree you can’t do that. You can however give people different tasks more suited to their mobility & athleticism within a system.
I feel we’re all assuming Bruno can only use what he has in the same way Nuno did. Let’s hope he’s more creative.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What a load of utter lickspittle twaddle. Perhaps in China senior decision makers are used to being beyond criticism. This, thankfully, is NOT China. We have the absolute right to call out errors and failures to deliver on commitments and absolutely should use that.

Back
Top Bottom