Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are these players...

T

TheConcourse

...underperforming?

Or are we about right based on the quality in the squad?

How many fit players do we have right now that would walk into a top 8 PL team.

Neves, Jonny, Neto?

Are we really underperforming, or have we exceeded expectations for a couple of seasons with a pretty risk averse approach...

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think bar maybe Neto, this team and staff are underperforming.

Few players have stepped up here & there but no-one consistently imo.

One thing I do find confusing is the team meeting before arsenal. Now its been reported players wanted to go to a 4 (not actually sure if it's the case or what) but if it is, why have we only done that in that game?

Is it because Boly & Podence are now injured? Poor if so.

I'm genuinely stuck with wanting us to be solid, which probably means 5 at the back (where we don't really offer a consistent attacking threat) and 4 2 3 1, where we're open defensively but look much more of a threat. If we're not in a threat of relegation battle, I'd rather see us go for it.

Watching us have test the keeper twice, across 2 games is just not my idea of enjoyment.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...underperforming?

Neves, Jonny, Neto?

Are we really underperforming, or have we exceeded expectations for a couple of seasons with a pretty risk averse approach...
I don't think any of those 3 would "walk" into a top 8 side, make the squad yes.
Neves is a shadow of himself, Neto is probably the best player we have but he will be gone in the summer if he has any sense why hang around with a team going nowhere. I would imagine every decent player we have must be thinking the same.
When you play for the Premierships most boring and depressing side with any flair you have coached out of you the future is bleak indeed.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All playing well within themselves at the moment.

Only have to look at the player ratings, averages of around 4 for last night's shambles.

They can do much, much better, regardless of the system.

T

TheConcourse

I don't think any of those 3 would "walk" into a top 8 side, make the squad yes.
Neves is a shadow of himself, Neto is probably the best player we have but he will be gone in the summer if he has any sense why hang around with a team going nowhere. I would imagine every decent player we have must be thinking the same.
When you play for the Premierships most boring and depressing side with any flair you have coached out of you the future is bleak indeed.
Yeah, you’re right on the squad front.

Would love to see Neves in an attacking team. Can only imagine how useful he’d be at a club like Leeds with so many runners.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Would love to see Neves in an attacking team. Can only imagine how useful he’d be at a club like Leeds with so many runners.
Imagine Neves at Villa or Leeds he would look like a proper top player unlike now where he is encouraged not to cross the half way line.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some players are playing well below par but for me it is a combination of really poor transfer windows and really poor tactics and style of play from the head coach and coaches. Put some of these players in other sides and they would be different players. The negative, safety first tactics are sucking the life out of several of the players. They looked fed up last night.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine Neves at Villa or Leeds he would look like a proper top player unlike now where he is encouraged not to cross the half way line.

Bang on. Traore would have asssist and goals if he played for a team that wanted to attack as well. It is mainly down to the head coaches negative, boring, safety first tactics.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lets not forget that we are missing 3 top players, Jimenez Boly and Podence, and Otto has only just come back. I reckon that with Neves, Neto and Traore they're the best players we have.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some players are playing well below par but for me it is a combination of really poor transfer windows and really poor tactics and style of play from the head coach and coaches. Put some of these players in other sides and they would be different players. The negative, safety first tactics are sucking the life out of several of the players. They looked fed up last night.

This was so obviously true for Jota. He looked like a player unleashed, until his injury recently. Total transformation into the player we suspected he could be, but was showing less and less.

But then we have Doherty. The other side of the coin. Again, though, I think we all knew that our system worked for him - and Coady. But doesn't bring out the best in every player. It does seem to suck the life out of them.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bang on. Traore would have asssist and goals if he played for a team that wanted to attack as well. It is mainly down to the head coaches negative, boring, safety first tactics.

It doesn't have to be "one thing" only. Traore would also have several assists if others hadn't repeatedly miss the chances he (and Neto and Neves etc) have set up for them. Depending on only one consistent goal scorer would be a problem in any tactical system. As it is sheer folly to assume the will be fully fit and playing every match.

Against Southampton..same tactics throughout but performance went up a gear (into second!) when Neto and Traore came on.

Last edited:

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It will be interesting to see if they strengthen massively in the summer, lose a few players (who will want triple their current wages) or even lose Biesla.

Would we swap Nuno for Biesla if we could?

T

TheConcourse

It will be interesting to see if they strengthen massively in the summer, lose a few players (who will want triple their current wages) or even lose Biesla.

Would we swap Nuno for Biesla if we could?
That’s a great question...

I’d personally keep Nuno because I want him to see the vision through and I think he deserves the time.

We’re going through a painful moment, but that happens with change. It hurts!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...underperforming?

Neves, Jonny, Neto?

I’d say many probably are but I’d put that down to the restrictive tactics and a lack of confidence from such a poor run of form.

Just look at Jota in the few games he had for Liverpool, if you put many of our forward thinking players in teams that look to dominate games and play on he front foot they’d see the same returns.

That they are still able to shine with the handbrake on football we adopt shows the quality they do have. Neto will be an absolute superstar in a team dominating the ball, Traore would have plenty off assists in a team that Has more than one body in the box at a time and benefit from having other options to prevent the opposition tripling up on him.

Imagine Neves in a team with the ball for most of the game, options all over the final third in front of him, being able to play 10-15 yards inside their half instead of his own!

Back
Top Bottom