Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Anyone else losing the love?

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm finding myself falling out of love with Football of late. Is anyone else feeling the same? The farce that is VAR which ruined so many great moments in the past and current season (Netos non celebration says it all), the lack of fans at games and 0 atmosphere, project big picture, the rumours of certain clubs allowing fans under the new tier system, it's all contributing to an overall feeling of apathy towards football. I'm desperate to attend a game again or even be able to watch a game with my dad. Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm sure it'll pass but interested to see how other people are feeling too.

I hope this isn't too negative!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, it went from the sublime (Instanbul and Barcelona trips) to the absolute ridiculous (no access).

The whole show is on hold for me and I can take it or leave it, although I'm sure when we get back to the terraces in numbers normal service will be resumed.

VAR by the way is a load of crap and hasn't helped the matchday experience one iota (imho) !

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
Agree totally, football has become a TV show.
I don't think I've heard the politics of football being debated so much in my life, so much talk on why the top 6 deserve x etc etc. Also, I'm absolutely sick of Wolves fans /Liverpool fans/ Everyone who knows I'm a Wolves fan banging on about Jota.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm finding myself falling out of love with Football of late. Is anyone else feeling the same? The farce that is VAR which ruined so many great moments in the past and current season (Netos non celebration says it all), the lack of fans at games and 0 atmosphere, project big picture, the rumours of certain clubs allowing fans under the new tier system, it's all contributing to an overall feeling of apathy towards football. I'm desperate to attend a game again or even be able to watch a game with my dad. Is anyone else feeling the same? I'm sure it'll pass but interested to see how other people are feeling too.

Absolutely - and knowing Twitter has banned me, for a heat in the moment audio tweet on VAR, for the penalty v Leicester personally says it all!

The love of the game, has been seriously strained during 2020 and the sooner FIFA, UEFA, The FA and IFAB (the last one crucially being the law makers) realise - the better.

It would also help, if major comps didn’t go to bad nations and weren’t split across places!

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Not alone at all. This season is a write off. I don't really care what happens as long as we stay up (have no doubts about that) and are ready to go at the start of the post Covid season in August next year. Think the love will come back then. Empty venues and football becoming a TV only event is the main issue in my opinion. That said, VAR and Project Big Picture hasn't helped. Hang on in there. We'll all be back.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Following your team home and away is a costly and time consuming habit which is easily lost, especially when it involves a round trip, for me of 266 miles. I will be back as soon as my name comes out of the ballot (when fans are allowed) but I won't be upset if I have to wait longer either; going to a match with 2000 or 4000 doesn't really excite me. I hope that I get the buzz back once I know that a full Molineux awaits me at the end of my journey.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I feel like that too. I still panic when we are playing and get very nervous - but otherwise its tedious, boring, and (like many say) the whole VAR thing has ruined the game. I was surprised they still carried on with it this season after the farcial negativity from last season.

I just want us to get through this season unscathed, still a Premier League team - and a top 7 finish a bonus (and possible Europa again next season - just not convinced we are top 7 material this season). So glad we aren't in Europa this season now. It just wouldn't be the same and it would burn these players out.

Marvellous007

Groupie
Reaction score
Its such a shame but starting with VAR and the inconsistency with the referees and this stupid hand ball ruling and the players foot offside that has killed the game ,players can't naturally celebrate worried VAR will pick something up, what's going on with our beautiful game ,no crowds ,the bias shown to the big clubs. Why try and fix something that was not really broken in the first place

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel exactly the same and not enjoying it on TV at all with no fans its sterile then we have VAR which has ruined the lovely game we used to love, it isnt the same now.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who could have foreseen a situation like this? As far as my personal situation is concerned my match days are over because of my health and where I live. But I do feel for you guys who are season ticket holders and go to the away games. The vaccine has put a whole different perspective on things. We can now see light at the end of the tunnel. As for VAR......no I won’t go there.

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
Glad to hear I'm not alone in all this, with Wolves being the thing that ties me to Wolverhampton (I moved away when I was about 9), its pretty miserable to feel that love waning as Wolves is a huge part of my identity and I'd be lost without football. Hopefully next season things will be different we'll all be there to see it

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watch our matches, but generally don't bother much with other games at the minute. No crowds and VAR equally guilty for squashing the pleasure out of the game.
The lack of celebration for Netos goal sums it up - both by the players and also apparently, by so many fans.
The Champions League is pitiful to watch without crowd noise.

lyechris

Groupie
Reaction score
Really brave post! But I too feel the same, I'm finding diy more enjoyable!
I suspect I need help! And now I can go to the pub it's like that scene from the inbetweeners, 3 ciders and a carvery!
Let's all hang in there, it will get better

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me as much as football is a bit **** it is giving me something to occupy my brain at least.

Don't tend to watch other games other than the wolves though.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm still loving it tbh, yes I wish VAR was better run or gone and obviously it would be better if fans could go but overall I'm still enjoying it.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
When the shackles are finally removed to enable full fan-access I think the sport is robust enough to recover - it is ingrained in so many people.

It may take a little while to get back to the kind of level it had previously, inevitably some folk will have found alternative choices for their time/money, but they will be replaced by other followers (old and new)

The timing of the VAR contribution probably hasn’t helped - Personally, I think it still has the potential to improve the game..... but it needs to avoid having numpties officiating with it.

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
VAR is the biggest threat to the game as we know it but it won't be removed. People around the world will still 'consume' the Premier League even if we stop going, our presence is an irrelevance. In fact, it would probably please the authorities if proper wolves fans left and people who don't give a **** about football come in and pay a grand for a season ticket. In a way I wish we'd never been promoted.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were talking about this at work earlier actually (I’m down south so the only wolves fan in the group). Basically we all agreed that this season is rubbish, it’s completely pointless and people don’t care anywhere near as much.

During our games I still support us but I’m usually a sit on the edge of the sofa, appealing for throw ins with my hand up kind of viewer. Now I sit back and just watch the game, still with enthusiasm but not with the uncontrollable emotions and reactions that watching your team brings.

VAR started to ruin football for me last season and is continuing to do the same this season. It’s always there and is always in the back of your mind whenever there’s a chance at either end. It’s horrible and I can’t understand why any football fan wants it to any extent. Even the people who claim that it can be used to clear up errors only, well they need putting out to pasture too.

R

reanswolf

Its difficult to say what has ruined it more, coronavirus or VAR? They can blame each other if gates fall when we can go back.

No one is enjoying it as much as far as I can tell, including the players.

Sky of course are flogging it as much as they can, but I am even starting to hate the weird kick off times and no 3pm Saturdays either.

So between Coronavirus, VAR, and Sky, all are to blame.

But never stop loving Wolves til the day I die.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The pure joy of football returning after the initial lockdown quickly faded.

Watching football/sport without fans reminds me of watching other people play FIFA. It's just a bit soulless.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watch the games, but definitely feel a slight disconnect. Maybe it’s because I don’t fear relegation currently, but I’m not nervous watching on TV, even when we’re losing.

Before all of this I found watching us on tv much more stressful than being at the match. I think that is because you feel you can contribute to the game whilst you’re there.

As a poster above has stated, last season for me started as a bit of a dream. Watching us in Torino is a highlight that won’t be easily topped, then a trip to Porto one of my favourite cities anyway was incredible too.

Fast forward a few months, and I’m 24h away from boarding a flight to Athens and the game is moved to behind closed doors. Pretty rapidly the season fizzled out for me. I think what is most depressing is I was so blasé about the Sevilla result, normally I’d have been devastated but I don’t think it felt like we really were in the QF of a major European tournament by that point.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t say my love for Wolves has dwindled, I’m itching to be back at Molineux when the time is right. But it just isn’t the same at the moment.

I won’t even start on VAR......

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watch the games, but definitely feel a slight disconnect. Maybe it’s because I don’t fear relegation currently, but I’m not nervous watching on TV, even when we’re losing.

Before all of this I found watching us on tv much more stressful than being at the match. I think that is because you feel you can contribute to the game whilst you’re there.

As a poster above has stated, last season for me started as a bit of a dream. Watching us in Torino is a highlight that won’t be easily topped, then a trip to Porto one of my favourite cities anyway was incredible too.

Fast forward a few months, and I’m 24h away from boarding a flight to Athens and the game is moved to behind closed doors. Pretty rapidly the season fizzled out for me. I think what is most depressing is I was so blasé about the Sevilla result, normally I’d have been devastated but I don’t think it felt like we really were in the QF of a major European tournament by that point.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t say my love for Wolves has dwindled, I’m itching to be back at Molineux when the time is right. But it just isn’t the same at the moment.

I won’t even start on VAR......

I should add to this, the night we played Palace, I didn’t want to do PPV anyway, but my gf said we should go for a meal instead (to my favourite trattoria here in Wimbledon) and for me it was a no brainer, I went for a pizza! In regular seasons that wouldn’t have happened in a million years.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have little or no interest in football generally; in fact if it wasn't for Wolves I wonder if I'd follow the sport at all. Many years ago I went to cricket and watched the Tests but since it went to Sky (which I don't have) I have no interest in the sport anymore. Football on TV is a million miles from from the real thing; no crowds makes it even worse. VAR just adds to the disenchantment. I hope I've got the desire left at the end of this miserable season to get back to Molineux but if not someone will be very lucky to get a great seat on the halfway line in the Steve Bull!

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very much fallen out of love and seriously considering if i go again. Have never liked the Premier League and the packaged product it is. Dont like the KO times, don't like the msm bias towards the Big 6 and when you're close to breaking in you notice it even more. Don't like the way games are reffed, don't like the cheating that goes on . Much preferred League 1 and King Kenny

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wimbledon Village or down in the town? Funnily enough I can remember missing the Liverpool v Aresenal title decider in 1989? because we went for an Italian up in the village.

D

Deleted member 11332

I'm finding my reactions are far more watered down than they would be normally. I dont get the same pure joy when we score or win but don't get the same feeling in my stomach. As for other games, I generally have to have a tickle on the game to make it interesting, otherwise I find myself zoning out and doing other things.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have stopped watching other teams on the TV, just Wolves for me now; VAR, the Big 6 love in and all the pointless internationals is killing my love for the game. I’ve had enough of this season already :(

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think I've heard the politics of football being debated so much in my life, so much talk on why the top 6 deserve x etc etc. Also, I'm absolutely sick of Wolves fans /Liverpool fans/ Everyone who knows I'm a Wolves fan banging on about Jota.
First time I've heard him mentioned today.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was talking about this with a fellow friend/fan the other day, and were musing whether Wolves less entertaining style of play recently bothers us more nowadays because as a whole football has lost its entertainment value as it is this season, with the no crowds and ridiculous system that even takes joy out of celebrating a goal now! So when we take the time to actually watch a game (which for both of us, is only when wolves play now) previously I’d watch at least the internationals/and competitor matches, and the match is lacklustre in itself, it’s more annoying, than say going to watch a boring match, but you still have that match day experience that nullifies it to some degree.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I have and I imagine thousands of others have to. A so called football University expert on the radio reckons when everything is back to normal which may well be 12-18 months crowds will never reach 50% of what they were. I think 50% is optimistic to be honest.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Premier League absolutely sucks. It is dominated by a cartel and it has become almost entirely a procession, not improved by the impression that it is refereed in such a way as to keep it as exactly that (especially towards the end of each season). Unpredictability is part of the essence of what it is to follow a team and be a football supporter but the EPL has erased much of this charm in order to render the revenue streams of the cartel more predictable. VAR was a decent-ish idea on paper, but the implementation has been a complete calamity and it is destroying the moments of joy that underpin the supporter experience and fan loyalty. Part of me will always be the 13 year-old wanting Wolves to go toe to toe with the biggest teams of the day and give as good as we get, but the 54 year-old me is tired of and jaundiced by the cynically rigged pantomime. I hope Nuno doesn't feel the same way, but I fear increasingly he does, as he's no fool.

jeb01

Reaction score
Well, haveaniceday really touched a raw nerve there with the OP.
As I’m in a vulnerable category (age and diabetes) I wonder if I’ll ever visit Molineux again, and I’m sure I’m not the only one! Certainly it won’t be for a long time to come , even with vaccines.
Having supported the club for over 60 years, Wolves are part of my identity, and I will always watch their games, but nowadays with a much increased measure of nervousness, and a strong sense of cynicism about VAR.
VAR is in principle a good idea, but it has fallen into the hands of jobsworths and humourless pedants. How can cricket and rugby get it right and football get it so wrong?
Things aren’t quite right with the team at present (hence the nervousness) but I believe Nuno and his coaching team will sort it out, and we will finish well.
Maybe next season I’ll be back to having a few pre match pints in the Great Western before heading off for the game. These routines are what I miss. Something to look forward to!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You take away the unpredictibilaty from the game..and it is basically not worth watching anymore.
The sport of football is running very close to the sun indeed.
The big money´s there..as in everything connected to it..it simply must be rather stricly regulated.If not it will just run amok leaving evryone except a club or two in the dust.

Big money must always be regulated in a proper fashion.The alternative is damaging to almost everyone.

Football is becoming less and less interesting for each season.The poison is spreading and the we have let the evil hatch out.

In the longer term,I am convinced it simply cannot go on the way it currently does..and I do think many with a longterm interest in football will say the same.What will become of it all..I do not know.

Let´s hope for the best hey?

This said,and with the current and recent so called development of the sport in mind..I do know it´s not the same for me as it once was.

Fact is,I will probably be surprised finding myself taking big interest in the game ten years from now.

All things comes to an end..the good one´s you´ll miss.Football anno 2020..for me personally..do not qualify.

Upsets is the lifeblood of any sport.Take that away and you´ll kill it.This is my view,and it certainly won´t change.

Back
Top Bottom