Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Any Pictures of Molineux From Years Ago?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For my own interest I keep any pictures of Molineux as it was years ago, and any players (or indeed, fans) from that era. I wonder if anyone has similar pictures they might like to share.

Meanwhile I include a picture from 1961 showing Wolves fans about to enter the South Bank. No colours or scarves being worn; no women that I can see, and most wearing ties - how times change!

NOv7AzMXrbPIT5_FX5wyUzVbtxVmh_44_Njsey8yCHf3uf-ylWgFPQJGICpaQnXjJ9uFMTD5siBULEXcXEdRcQxV9kXPp04pTUqO4F3qBP8CI6DtdOayGM7srjc5CQZpTeGuahw2xm5tdeBlLKoCpZznjETTCNixILM8BAqfpvdeuYdHmc0y1q63nxPi-EriPuWEBzrVfGGrvcQ63b5Lix4KfAMy5dbYor1ZybrqlGRpJ4oijDgH7wpMyjNJkGOpsf19C65D9xGdax2kroenPM_w573dNbIw4MXqAkbm2ZhCOVo0t8SnadtDB2BnV808NhRFiD3zdBrLRqSe_oL0qUhw-lxoz2WqBDBLE6DTjLjVz6_SDBlsi16ifcB9eCWTiTmJ5RBSBXrRygNTX52w1BBOKow8Kc5p9wXj_4vqO6v2GwSdnlAjo4EyZbaHKA_n-GPzYKk9bKkW7O9vibocJZS4NNltSKU21kJaQ-NMJZLt585QMMclMPVBJv9zpCCc-VVTlShbSVYAOoYsXNe87-mZc_yszJLUy10E7aBtypbDxObAy22QQ8nR_qnkOzb3aOxySJ9OspSdFqLtajPAVo5P_SbGV3FkUldE6WLD72ZoHAW-ArjW_ZRSWK-qplY_tuwHugseDtbPXl-hGYRyYlFsZi0n4Nw=w1052-h622-no

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never seen a photo of the old Dudley Road ground, do any exist?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somewhere near where ASDA is now there was a row of houses, where Wolves fans could park their bikes during the game. Cost a few old pennies. The bikes were kept in the garden at the back. Amazed me that my Dad could find his bike from hundreds of others (unless he took the best bike he could find....)

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love these types of threads and getting to see what Molineux looked like in the days of yore, especially the HUGE South Bank, the impressive floodlights and the multi-gabled stand.

All the surrounding terrace houses too.

Pure class
View attachment 10711
Class!
Used to park in one of those side streets on match day.

wolfjoy_uk

Groupie
Reaction score
So many memories - looking at some of these pics makes me realise how old I am getting ha ha

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is footage of the game v Preston a few days after we won the Cup in 1949. The first bit, where the team are showing off the Cup, is in shadow, but the second half of the clip gives fabulous full colour (rare in those days) shots of an almost full South Bank.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine the conjecture thread if Molineux Mix existed way back when the 'new stand' was being built. 4 pages of people guessing why the stand was so far away from the pitch.

Was there ever an official line on why it was built where it was, or were people just left aghast without receiving an explanation?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love these types of threads and getting to see what Molineux looked like in the days of yore, especially the HUGE South Bank, the impressive floodlights and the multi-gabled stand.

All the surrounding terrace houses too.

Pure class
View attachment 10711
This looks like Griffin Park does today! I think this is the last season at GP before they move out. Such a shame as these old grounds surrounded by terraced houses are the foundation and the roots of our modern game.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine the conjecture thread if Molineux Mix existed way back when the 'new stand' was being built. 4 pages of people guessing why the stand was so far away from the pitch.

Was there ever an official line on why it was built where it was, or were people just left aghast without receiving an explanation?

The whole ground was supposed to move over. As we know now it never got completed due to our demise.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brings back lots of memories! Despite the high levels of facilities and comfort in modern stadia, nothing compares with the excitement of standing in the North Bank and being pulled and pushed all over the place whenever Wolves scored - you could end up many yards from where you were originally standing, unless you had taken the precaution of standing just in front of a barrier. Brilliant times.

P

Paul1983

Just goes to show how much area the Molineux covers. Makes it interesting to see if Fosun will maximise its potential to increase capacity. Could always dig down too like the Nou Camp.

Who owned the club when the John Ireland was built and how long did it take?

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This looks like Griffin Park does today! I think this is the last season at GP before they move out. Such a shame as these old grounds surrounded by terraced houses are the foundation and the roots of our modern game.

Luton's ground is still hemmed in by houses isn't it?

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite grounds are/were the ones hemmed in by houses. I had a mate who played for Arsenal youth team and used to go and watch him regularly and sit in the main stand (East stand I think) at the old Highbury ground. And the thing that jumped out at you was how the ground seamlessly ran into the terraced housing around the ground. And then the view when you got in to the upper main stand was to die for. Really tight pitch and it felt you were sitting right on top of it.
What it didn’t have was the atmosphere of the old Molineux ground before the John Ireland development which was electric, and what caught my breath as a young kid watching the great 70’s teams

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it hadnt moved then the Billy Wright stand couldn't be built
All I was trying to point out was that Molineux turned out nothing like the original plans when The Steve Bull was originally built.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still call it the 'New Stand' now, 40 years after it was built, and with it overseeing 4 'new' stands being built.

Back
Top Bottom