Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

An overlooked aspect of the Hillsborough disaster

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve probably all been in crushes in or outside grounds where it has frightened the hell out of us not being able to move. What happened that day could have happened to any of us. More by luck than judgement that it didn’t.
You aren't kidding. One at Southend away not too long after Hillsborough sticks in my mind.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The mental health/counseling/therapy aspect of this seems very challenging, and it doesn't sound like that challenge has been met as well as it could have been. I have some cousins with PTSD from either war or EMT experiences that were just too much....like i said, it's a heck of a challenge. I'd be lying if I said either one is doing terribly well, and that's after many rounds of help.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
A really thought provoking article, in that it’s so easy to forget that Notts Forest suffered too that day. Certainly in that era it would have been nigh on impossible for any Forest fans subsequently suffering from ptsd to be able to get support, due to the predictable “you weren’t one of the tragic 95 people who lost their lives, pull yourself together” attitude and lack of knowledge of mental health at that time.
Have always felt that the inability to accurately quantify if there were any ticketless fans who had already gained entry to the ground or whether there were ticketless fans hoping to gain entry from outside the ground is a great unknown and hampered measures to make sure this tragedy never happened again in the future.
Fortunately (Euro 2020 final aside) a number of factors (technology, improved stadium security) has made attending high profile football matches a far safer experience but certainly at that time the likes of the Manchester Utd inter city jibbers who’s motto was “to pay is to fail” meant that the chances of football grounds being overwhelmed with ticketless fans was a huge risk to crowd safety.
I can't believe this stuff is still getting talked about. The reason it happened was simple enough. If you've been to Leppings Lane prior to that date you'll know there were small pens accessed via a tunnel under the stand, larger areas to the side. People getting in late went by what was the shortest and most obvious route to the terrace, crushing the capacity crowd that was already in those pens. It had nothing to do with ticketless fans.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't believe this stuff is still getting talked about. The reason it happened was simple enough. If you've been to Leppings Lane prior to that date you'll know there were small pens accessed via a tunnel under the stand, larger areas to the side. People getting in late went by what was the shortest and most obvious route to the terrace, crushing the capacity crowd that was already in those pens. It had nothing to do with ticketless fans.
Absolutely agree with the point you make and the the standard of the stadium, abject failure of the police were obviously the main primary causes. However, where a game is an all ticket sell out, if a significant number of people have purchased forged tickets for example then over capacity could be a further contributory factor.
I didn’t in my original post ever say that ticketless fans caused it.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes the nostalgia for old grounds is misplaced. Fire traps, crush traps, dire toilets etc.
Give me comfort and prawn sandwiches any day !

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with the point you make and the the standard of the stadium, abject failure of the police were obviously the main primary causes. However, where a game is an all ticket sell out, if a significant number of people have purchased forged tickets for example then over capacity could be a further contributory factor.
I didn’t in my original post ever say that ticketless fans caused it.
Plus the gates were opened to avoid a crush outside, so anyone without a ticket could have got in.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
It’s meant to be a thread from the Forest perspective…

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just to say this is not a place for the usual 'anti scouse' rhetoric, and anyone wishing to indulge themselves (yet again) will simply be removed from the thread.
It nearly happened to us at hillsborough a few years earlier. We had fans sat pitch side because of overcrowding

Back
Top Bottom