Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

An NFL styled Blackout system

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see a lot of people complaining about attendances etc on the forum and elsewhere, so after doing to some reading on the NFL blackout rule, I'd love it if something was brought in place in this country for football.

Basically the blackout rule means that if a team doesn't sell out a game before the 72 hour deadline, they simply don't get their game shown on local TV stations, this forces more people to go to the games and stops the lousy armchair supporters, unfortunately its slowly coming to an end in the NFL but I'd love it to be implemented for football. Obviously there a ways the teams work round it by reducing tickets in certain areas by closing them off.

Ofcourse football isnt shown locally on TV like in the states, so it does make it alot harder to blackout games, but IF a game doesnt sell out, then simply their games highlights etc never get shown, this will hopefully get more people to go to games and hopefully filling the stadiums once again.

Now people are obviously going to complain about ticket prices now, well the average price for the worst team in the NFL is $146.53 which is around £90, they sell out nearly every week and they rarely pick up wins.

Its a simple maybe a little over the top way of getting people to go to games but yeah Its my opinion, I'm not suggesting we 'Americanise' the game at all just trying to point out a suggestion to get more people into the grounds.

Thoughts on this ?

Heres a link for anyone wanting to read abit more on the ruling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Wolf

I can't see that working, they only have 8 games a season & it's more of a whole day event for most of them. What would Sheff Wed do with their giant stadium that hasn't been full for probably 15 years.

The thing that needs to be done is in the next TV deal a % of the money given out needs to be solely for fans/ticket prices & not spent on players wages.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the NFL introduced the rooney rule to combat this?

The Rooney Rule is one that states a certain amount of African/Americans are interviewed or offered Coaching posts in the NFL.

Ironically I am pretty sure a vote this weekend ended the blackout rule.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see that working, they only have 8 games a season & it's more of a whole day event for most of them. What would Sheff Wed do with their giant stadium that hasn't been full for probably 15 years.

The thing that needs to be done is in the next TV deal a % of the money given out needs to be solely for fans/ticket prices & not spent on players wages.

They've filled it a few times over the last couple of years.

What would we do with our giant stadium??

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought the NFL introduced the rooney rule to combat this?

The Rooney rule is about having to interview ethnic minorities for job vacancies - nothing to do with attendance and televising games.

D

Deleted member 3573J

I think Kidder was having a laugh. A 7 day ban awaits...

Simmowolf

Reaction score
It's difficult to draw parallels as all NFL games are shown live in local markets, you often get the teams themselves buying the remaining tickets so as to prevent the blackouts so you very rarely actually get one.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
well this wouldn't achieve balls all as the i ly teams on tv every weeks are from London, Manchester and Liverpool.

R

reanswolf

Interesting concept to discuss, but can't see it affecting people who are wavering, or financially hamstrung (which IS the key reason gates are low). Can't see how any given individual would decide to go just so that it can then be shown on TV.

P

Paul76

Blackout system? Lolz. How about making it affordable to youngsters, old uns and young families.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An idea I am much more in favour of, is getting ride of premier league on television all together. If you're that bothered about seeing manure play, put down your pint of carlsberg in the King's Head in Guildford and get your $$$$ on a train and see them for yourself (or preferably, start supporting your local team).

Last edited by a moderator:
R

reanswolf

There's far more chance of an effing boycott to get me off Mol Mix because of my nonstop ticket price moaning:D

S

Smithy

Mass boycott. The day will come.

I agree, it's going to be the only way. And hopefully not just for ticket prices but also for corrupt officiating, obscene wages, the cheating in the game, and the unfair advantage that billionaire owners have over other teams.

M

MonkeySpanner

Easiest way to get people to games is lowere ticket prices and aggressively promote kids discounts for future support.

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
I see a lot of people complaining about attendances etc on the forum and elsewhere, so after doing to some reading on the NFL :dong:something was brought in place in this country for football.

Basically the blackout rule means that if a team doesn't sell out a game before the 72 hour deadline, they simply don't get their game shown on local TV stations, this forces more people to go to the games and stops the lousy armchair supporters, unfortunately its slowly coming to an end in the NFL but I'd love it to be implemented for football. Obviously there a ways the teams work round it by reducing tickets in certain areas by closing them off.

Ofcourse football isnt shown locally on TV like in the states, so it does make it alot harder to blackout games, but IF a game doesnt sell out, then simply their games highlights etc never get shown, this will hopefully get more people to go to games and hopefully filling the stadiums once again.

Now people are obviously going to complain about ticket prices now, well the average price for the worst team in the NFL is $146.53 which is around £90, they sell out nearly every week and they rarely pick up wins.

Its a simple maybe a little over the top way of getting people to go to games but yeah Its my opinion, I'm not suggesting we 'Americanise' the game at all just trying to point out a suggestion to get more people into the grounds.

Thoughts on this ?

Heres a link for anyone wanting to read abit more on the ruling the
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies

This will not be adopted here. There is too much money in advertising for the channel showing the game. Could you imagine Sky pulling a game a couple of days before kick off? The premier league rule the roost and they would let this happen, especially with worldwide interest and fanbase.

Even if games were shown abroad, there are many ways of changing your online location and subsequently could watch streaming.

Personally, I don't like the idea. There are many genuine extenuating circumstances as to why fans may not be able to attend. It wouldn't be fair.

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Never work over here, country is to small

Agree 100%. For what it's worth ... back when the NFL blackout rule was in its heyday, the home games of any team were not broadcast into the home team's market within a one hour travel radius - sellout or not. Which would in turn result in a mass exodus of said team's fans without a home game ticket to hotels, bars and other like establishments just outside the one hour radius to catch the game on TV.

For the New York team (the Giants at the time) this proved to be an enormous financial boon for establishments from Binghamton to Albany and across most of the state of Connecticut. When the NFL blackout rules were relaxed, a lot of those places ceased to exist. True story.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mass boycott. The day will come.

It really won't. There were people saying this in A Load of Bull in 1995. 20 years later it's bigger than ever.

Back
Top Bottom