Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

An anthem of our own

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know there have been recent threads about songs to come out to etc but I've thought for a while what we really need is an anthem of our own, uniquely ours and something that can sung throughout the game. I know that there is "Those were the days" but it doesnt quite work on a constant repeat after the first verse and chorus.

So how about using the Slade song, My oh My, it's local to us, great but easy melody and it's massively anthemic

For the kiddies who may not of heard it (anyone under 50) here it is:

Lyrics as follows....I've deliberately avoided any reference to current players or managers so that there's no built in obsolescence.

We're the famous Wolverhampton My oh My
We are Wolverhampton Wanderers My oh My
When we play and we score you will hear the South Bank (Molineux?) roar

We're the Wolves, we're one pack
We're the famous Gold and Black

We're the pride of the Midlands My oh My
Villa, West Brom, Birmingham,
You will never understand

Works for me whatcha think!?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know there have been recent threads about songs to come out to etc but I've thought for a while what we really need is an anthem of our own, uniquely ours and something that can sung throughout the game. I know that there is "Those were the days" but it doesnt quite work on a constant repeat after the first verse and chorus.

So how about using the Slade song, My oh My, it's local to us, great but easy melody and it's massively anthemic

Lyrics as follows....I've deliberately avoided any reference to current players or managers so that there's no built in obsolescence.

Change My oh My for Wolves ay We.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've suggested My oh My several times on song threads here.
Definitely not The Impossible Dream anyway!
Yes me too, not sure why it doesn't get more traction.....maybe it's an age thing!?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Land of hope and glory, mother of the free,
How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
Wider still and wider shall thy bounds be set.
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.
God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet.

Land of the Wanderers, home of Stevie Bull,
Creator of Europe, Champions League ay we,
S*** on Albion, Veela and the Blues,
Billy made us famous, Wolves are back again
Neto creates the goals, Wolves are back again

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I really like that well done
Would sound fantastic if it caught on and we sang it, but I doubt it ever will which is a great shame

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flood the social media side of things probably best bet? Especially for away games where they usually get going..

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
nortth london forever is such a great song. much as i hate arsenal we need something like that

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Another I think something could be done with is Rose Tattoo by The Dropkick Murphys.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If they played Those were the days at the end after a win (instead of Status bloody Quo) it’d become even more established as our anthem.

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves have, in my my mind one if not the biggest repertoire of songs in any league. But we do lack that special anthem, something to make us known as the big club that we are. My Oh My is a great call. Be great to see it happen.

bigwolf

Reaction score
Why are some people obsessed with having an anthem?

And why is it the suggestions are usually from songs that are ancient?

Thank you....and ideas how?

Try singing it at the ground and see how you get on

Joking aside good luck to you. It needs to be organic and not forced or it won't work. Make it underground through use of Social Media and if it catches light the club will want to be a part of it.

Stuff generally starts at away games as that's the core support. Probably best to get that element on board.

But I fear you won't get the support you need. Personally I think the song is dull as dishwater and will have a small appeal.

But as I said good luck to you.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not the most uplifting song, nor the most recognisable song to most fans under the age of 50, but Slade clearly provides a proper link to the club, and the suggested lyrics work very well with the tune. Think personally I’d prefer a Zeppelin song as the Wolves links are equally strong, if not stronger, and a wider range of fans might recognise the tune.

superwolves

Reaction score

We all saw the influence a proper atmosphere has to the team against man city and having an anthem would only benefit that. The more songs the better for everyone but unfortunately we don't get new songs going despite some great ideas what would work well. Our songs tend to be a copy of something we've heard elsewhere and replaced by a wolves link as is the same for alot of clubs. We had a wolves band wolfpack howlers who would have been ideal to help create new songs

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cheers.....I just don't have a clue how there things get started......maybe I'll start singing it on my own in J6 and see how far it goes before I get ejected
just speaking might wake up the dead in J6 so wouldn't advise it Brizzlewolf,

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To the KNEES UP MOTHER BROWN tune.

Come Wanderers wheel em in
Come Wanderers wheel em in
You should here the Molineux roar
When they see the Wanderers score.
So let’s have more than one now
So we can make a din
Come Wanderers Come Wanderers
Wanderers wheel em in.
Oh my, what a rotten song
What a rotten song
What a rotten song
Oh my, what a rotten song
And what a rotten singer
Too-oo-ooh.
...........................................................................I'll get me coat, exit Mr Chignal stage right

.......................Add your own words North Bank and Row J6 to below LOL...........................

There came a girl from France
Who didn't know how to dance
The only thing that she could do
Was knees up Mother Brown

Oh, knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up, knees up, never let the breeze up,
Knees up Mother Brown

Oh, hopping on one foot
Hopping on one foot
Hopping, hopping, never stopping
Hopping on one foot

Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown

Oh, prancing up and down
Prancing up and down
Prancing, prancing, never dancing
Prancing up and down

Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown

And whirling round and round
Whirling round and round
Whirling, whirling, never twirling
Whirling round and round

Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown

Knees up Mother Brown
Knees up Mother Brown

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Not the most uplifting song, nor the most recognisable song to most fans under the age of 50, but Slade clearly provides a proper link to the club, and the suggested lyrics work very well with the tune. Think personally I’d prefer a Zeppelin song as the Wolves links are equally strong, if not stronger, and a wider range of fans might recognise the tune.
Obviously this is not an unbiased opinion and I love a bit of Zep, who were a greater band in most ways, however I will say Slade wrote a lot more catchy tunes and are generally massively underrated by national opinion.

TooMutchBull

Reaction score
Hardly any iconic anthems that I can think of reference the team or even football in any way. They're sung as is.
You'll never walk alone,
Fields of Athenry,
Blowing bubbles,
Chip butty,
Sunshine on leith.

I don't think we need to shoehorn in Wolverhampton, wolves aye we or Steve Bull etc..

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hardly any iconic anthems that I can think of reference the team or even football in any way. They're sung as is.
You'll never walk alone,
Fields of Athenry,
Blowing bubbles,
Chip butty,
Sunshine on leith.

I don't think we need to shoehorn in Wolverhampton, wolves aye we or Steve Bull etc..
Have you ever listened to the lyrics of Chip Butty.... it's far from what you say.....

Edited to add:

Lyrics to the Greasy Chip Butty Song​

You fill up my senses,
Like a gallon of Magnet,
Like a packet of Woodbines,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Sheffield,
Like a greasy chip butty,
Like Sheffield United,
Come fill me again
Na na na na na...Ooooohh!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think these things just need to be organic, trying to get one going just seems a bit try hard to me. Although not knocking the sentiment!

Arsenal now playing “The Angel” as some sort of attempt to claim an anthem is so lame.

YNWA at Anfield/ Celtic Park, fair play it’s iconic. If a little tiresome. Blue Moon at Man City, that’s pretty cool. Blowing Bubbles at WHU (I actually think the version they play is a bonafide tune).

I just think it all looks a forced if songs start on line as “let’s make this our song”…

IMO of course. I am grumpy and old before my time, I’ll admit.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think these things just need to be organic, trying to get one going just seems a bit try hard to me. Although not knocking the sentiment!

Arsenal now playing “The Angel” as some sort of attempt to claim an anthem is so lame.

YNWA at Anfield/ Celtic Park, fair play it’s iconic. If a little tiresome. Blue Moon at Man City, that’s pretty cool. Blowing Bubbles at WHU (I actually think the version they play is a bonafide tune).

I just think it all looks a forced if songs start on line as “let’s make this our song”…

Bubbles apparently originated in the US.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
I love Slade and My Oh My, but it would never take off as an anthem. Far too mid 80s, holding hands on the edge of a cliff, wind blowing mullets off face. Not forgetting a lone bagpiper for the big solo.

We also can't help but speed up all the anthems we try and sing. Just doesn't seem in our nature to have a YNWA. It's fine, I just doubt it's who we are.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have an anthem but the club ignore it. Bonkers.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cum on make some noise
Sing for the boys
We are Wolves Wolves Wolves

Cum on make some noise
Sing for the boys
Aye We

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wasn't thinking about it being a forced scenario.....I'm not a big fan of sing a long stuff blasted out over PA'S. It was more a song that can be sung any time of the game....a bit in the Nuno had a dream vein but just unique to us rather than stolen from Liverpool etc....

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Slade and My Oh My, but it would never take off as an anthem. Far too mid 80s, holding hands on the edge of a cliff, wind blowing mullets off face. Not forgetting a lone bagpiper for the big solo.

We also can't help but speed up all the anthems we try and sing. Just doesn't seem in our nature to have a YNWA. It's fine, I just doubt it's who we are.
I'm not sure it really matters what era the song comes from and I wasn't thinking of it being sung over a soundtrack......let's be honest Sloop John B or Seven Nations Army are hardly down with kids

Back
Top Bottom