Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Albion punishment

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally don't get all the hype to this.

The Albion fans acted tough but nothing really happened. In fact, I think the Wolves fans in the home end were extremely lucky that the Albion fans appeared to be relatively normal.

Two Cardiff fans have just been handed suspended sentences for kicking the **** out of a Swansea fan who celebrated their goal in the Cardiff end.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I genuinely expect any rival fan to suffer the same way if they do that. If a West Brom fan celebrated in the Wolves end, I would be surprised if they got out without a severe beating, maybe excluding the Billy Wright. So, the Albion fans were actually pretty good to the Wolves fans in their end, in my opinion.

Whether that should be the case is open to debate, but I'm not getting into that.

The issue is the running across the pitch and delaying the game. They deserve a fine for that obviously because it delayed the game, but it was posturing and nothing really happened in terms of genuine violence.

In the corner by Wolves fans, they could've gone on the pitch if they wanted, but they didn't. In the end, when the police came across they started pushing and shoving but only one punch was thrown and that chap got a baton across his head.

Again, this warrants a fine but scuffling with police/stewards is nothing we've not all seen before.

So you combine the two and they should get a decent enough fine and a warning , and there's no denying it looked bad. But, when you actually look at what happened, it really wasn't much and I feel it's been blown out of proportion massively - being on ITV didn't help on that front.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

The Albion fans acted tough but nothing really happened. In fact, I think the Wolves fans in the home end were extremely lucky that the Albion fans appeared to be relatively normal.

Two Cardiff fans have just been handed suspended sentences for kicking the **** out of a Swansea fan who celebrated their goal in the Cardiff end.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I genuinely expect any rival fan to suffer the same way if they do that. If a West Brom fan celebrated in the Wolves end, I would be surprised if they got out without a severe beating, maybe excluding the Billy Wright. So, the Albion fans were actually pretty good to the Wolves fans in their end, in my opinion.

Whether that should be the case is open to debate, but I'm not getting into that.

The issue is the running across the pitch and delaying the game. They deserve a fine for that obviously because it delayed the game, but it was posturing and nothing really happened in terms of genuine violence.

In the corner by Wolves fans, they could've gone on the pitch if they wanted, but they didn't. In the end, when the police came across they started pushing and shoving but only one punch was thrown and that chap got a baton across his head.

Again, this warrants a fine but scuffling with police/stewards is nothing we've not all seen before.

So you combine the two and they should get a decent enough fine and a warning , and there's no denying it looked bad. But, when you actually look at what happened, it really wasn't much and I feel it's been blown out of proportion massively - being on ITV didn't help on that front.
'no real violence'? I take it you weren't in the police cordon?

1000006147.jpg

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Tough on wolves, going easy on the baggies?

Colour me shocked….

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I personally do. The self-professed best fans in the world launched bottles at the pitch while the nation's cameras rolled, went ape **** because we outplayed them and then some of their specimens embarrassed themselves by attacking police and invading the pitch to provoke wolves fans. Oh and wasted 40 minutes of all of our lives in the hope they could wiggle out of being soundly beaten.

So yes, I understand the 'hype' or certainly the interest this will attract on a Wolves forum and would further say that the ensuing 'Savile-gate' is hilarious.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally do. The self-professed best fans in the world launched bottles at the pitch while the nation's cameras rolled, went ape **** because we outplayed them and then some of their specimens embarrassed themselves by attacking police and invading the pitch to provoke wolves fans. Oh and wasted 40 minutes of all of our lives in the hope they could wiggle out of being soundly beaten.

So yes, I understand the 'hype' or certainly the interest this will attract on a Wolves forum and would further say that the ensuing 'Savile-gate' is hilarious.
I agree that it's funny and shown them up given the way they looked at us over the years.

My point was more that the actual 'offence' wasn't that bad in terms of warranting more than a fine.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that it's funny and shown them up given the way they looked at us over the years.

My point was more that the actual 'offence' wasn't that bad in terms of warranting more than a fine.
I suppose let the authorities figure it out. To your point, probably more of a 'totting up' of individual nasty actions as opposed to fewer really 'bad' things?

That said, the bloke who got booted in the spine from behind by the chief Savile that later went on the pitch may see it differently.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Way-hey, an oldie but goodie for those who haven't heard (or forgot).

The sanctions! Oohhhh the sanctions are coming...

Must admit its one thing which never fails to make me laugh, always worth a watch occasionally.

I also can't normally stand the match day vlogs but the albion ones from the derby are well worth it.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
He punched a copper and got smashed on the head, I mentioned that in the post. Thoroughly deserved but he was the only one who got hit because he was the only one that actually did something.
You think only one punch was thrown? Were you at the game?

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You think only one punch was thrown? Were you at the game?
Yes I was but I watched the videos back. There was pushing and shoving but it wasn't much at all from what I saw, except the baldy who went for a copper with a big punch and then got smacked and arrested for his troubles :D

Maybe it's having stories/seen clips of what went on in the old days that has made me more accepting (not sure if that's the right word) of the situation. We've all seen a lot over the years and that was nothing. But even in recent years, you still see actual trouble.

It's even worse on YouTube with the clip ITV shared. Sam Matterface was going on like he was witnessing WW3 and ITV were doing the nation a favour by not showing the distressing images haha.

Anyway, we'll see what happens to them, I don't really care. And it's right that nothing happens to us because we didn't do anything.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Yes I was but I watched the videos back. There was pushing and shoving but it wasn't much at all from what I saw, except the baldy who went for a copper with a big punch and then got smacked and arrested for his troubles :D

Maybe it's having stories/seen clips of what went on in the old days that has made me more accepting (not sure if that's the right word) of the situation. We've all seen a lot over the years and that was nothing. But even in recent years, you still see actual trouble.

Anyway, we'll see what happens to them, I don't really care. And it's right that nothing happens to us because we didn't do anything.
Fair enough, it was as bad as I've seen inside a ground in a very long time. There was a brief period where there were a lot of batons going in, why it took so long to get the police with helmets in I don't know, but the ones that held them back for probably 10-15 minutes had more than a few punches thrown at them I'd say. I'd imagine there were some sore heads and shoulders, just that one guy got one of those head wounds that bleeds like crazy. The thing is it was dozens at both ends and the stewarding was pathetic, all started with loads of stuff being thrown at us with no action at all. Completely inadequate crowd management, I know it's PL money levels and I don't want to get into which does more harm, but we got fined £100k for not stopping homophobic chants, I'd say the levels of incompetence are far higher here.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I personally don’t get this post at all. It was the worst crowd scenes we’ve seen in a high profile game for a long, long time with a hundred or so fans literally on the pitch putting other fans and players at risk.

Even without the ****-tinted glasses on they deserve to have the book thrown at them. Really surprised others see it differently, it was pretty shocking.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair enough, it was as bad as I've seen inside a ground in a very long time. There was a brief period where there were a lot of batons going in, why it took so long to get the police with helmets in I don't know, but the ones that held them back for probably 10-15 minutes had more than a few punches thrown at them I'd say. I'd imagine there were some sore heads and shoulders, just that one guy got one of those head wounds that bleeds like crazy. The thing is it was dozens at both ends and the stewarding was pathetic, all started with loads of stuff being thrown at us with no action at all. Completely inadequate crowd management, I know it's PL money levels and I don't want to get into which does more harm, but we got fined £100k for not stopping homophobic chants, I'd say the levels of incompetence are far higher here.
I was there and it completely ruined the match, god knows what it looked like on TV. If that was us I’d have been massively ashamed. A few blokes got tickets in their end which was always going to happen and from what I can see they all left with the arms up saying it’s a fair cop and got a few digs. I’m not really bothered about them because they deserved it but what happened after was a complete joke. But id like to think if that was in the Billy Wright someone would just inform a steward and get them ejected. It wasn’t like it was in one of the rougher ends of the ground.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score

It's even worse on YouTube with the clip ITV shared. Sam Matterface was going on like he was witnessing WW3 and ITV were doing the nation a favour by not showing the distressing images haha.

It was bad. We were on that side where it was kicking off. They were trying to get on the pitch and a combination of coppers and stewards were holding them back. There were loads of punches thrown and coppers hitting the plebs with their truncheons. Very unsavoury.

Quite funny though watching them getting spanked.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I was there and it completely ruined the match, god knows what it looked like on TV. If that was us I’d have been massively ashamed. A few blokes got tickets in their end which was always going to happen and from what I can see they all left with the arms up saying it’s a fair cop and got a few digs. I’m not really bothered about them because they deserved it but what happened after was a complete joke. But id like to think if that was in the Billy Wright someone would just inform a steward and get them ejected. It wasn’t like it was in the Halford Rd end.
I watched the TV after and they didn't really show our end at all, which I think says a lot. The thing for me is that no club should be sanctioned for the actions of idiots, but they should be blamed for a failure to take the actions needed.

So failure to sensibly control ticket sales.
Failure to keep fans in the Brummie Rd.
Failure to act on people throwing bottles and coins into away section.
Failure to stop random idiots wandering onto the pitch.
Failure to keep people from attacking the police in the East Stand.

Their entire management of the crowd was shambolic. They deserve a big fine and at least suspended action on any further problems so they actually actively steward the ground. The police really bailed the stewards out from far worse problems.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was bad. We were on that side where it was kicking off. They were trying to get on the pitch and a combination of coppers and stewards were holding them back. There were loads of punches thrown and coppers hitting the plebs with their truncheons. Very unsavoury.

Quite funny though watching them getting spanked.
To be fair I was closer to the other side but on the videos I saw back it seemed they could have easily jumped over the hoardings initially if they wanted to get on the pitch, but they didn't. Then, when the police were in front of them, we got the 'hold me back' routine with pushing and shoving.

Agree it was funny though :D Great day for us.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Many other games been held up for half an hour by fan disorder recently? It’s pretty unusual and will be dealt as such

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the behaviour of the away end, under extreme provocation, was outstanding and should have been applauded.

It helped that we were winning.....if we were losing it might have gone the other way.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
No you picked me up for saying that it was mayhem when we lost those games. It was.
Yes, I mean there was a lot of stuff outside the ground, the Cup one in particular as I recall. The thing is though, that's down to the police to deal with individuals. I don't think anyone is claiming our fans are all angels (even less so 20 years ago), but the point is that the FA Charges relate to a failure to control the fans inside the ground, which is the club responsibility

"It's alleged that the club failed to ensure its spectators and/or supporters conduct themselves in an orderly fashion and don't behave in an improper, offensive, violent, threatening, abusive, indecent, insulting or provocative way," the FA said. "It's also alleged that the club failed to ensure its spectators and/or supporters refrain from throwing missiles or other potentially harmful or dangerous objects towards the pitch."

So they didn't actually steward the ground properly, hence why the charges are against the club.

Back
Top Bottom