Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Abdoulaye Doucore linked

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Apparently, he has agreed personal terms with Everton but the clubs haven’t come to agreement on a fee.

R

reanswolf

He is one I really like, but has his heart set on Everton apparently, though they are in the process of signing 2 CMs today.
£35m is way too high, so I am afraid this is old news anyway, we have again just been tentatively linked and I don't think we would look at him myself.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see us paying that kind of money at the moment, unfortunately

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the master negotiators of Everton ("30 million? For Alex Iwobi? Are you sure that's all you want? We can go higher if you like") can't agree a fee for him, we shouldn't even waste the phonebill money calling to enquire.

Last edited:

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Evening Standard just says Watford want 'more than £20m' for him, so who knows.

Also, just a polite note: please can we not compare him solely to other black players or focus excessively on his 'physicality'.

As a mixed race man myself I think that type of article is more damaging rather than being 'progressive'.

A lot of black athletes are considered superiorly athletic across many sports look at the NBA & NFL for an example of this it's nothing to be ashamed of thinking that, I'm not offended personally by it.

Doucore is similar built to Patrick Viera a man who is the athletic type of midfielder everyone in football wants in their team he made that style famous

I don't see the issue with Doucore being compared to other imposing black midfielders as there isn't many 6ft 3/4 imposing white midfield players to compare him with if I'm being honest.

On Doucore he's the type of player are midfield could do with but I'm not sure it will happen

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.25.37.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.25.37.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.26.58.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.26.58.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.28.35.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.28.35.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.28.58.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 10.28.58.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 47

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Also, just a polite note: please can we not compare him solely to other black players or focus excessively on his 'physicality'.

In the broader context I absolutely agree that there is a tendency to focus excessively and sometimes exclusively on the "physicality" of black players, and this can be reductive and stereotypical. It does also fit into some pretty nasty historic connotations, so I am sorry if I've given that impression - it is certainly not my intention to imply that all black midfielders are useful in a side exclusively because of their physical prowess. Yaya Toure, despite being tall and powerful, made his name for his sublime technical ability.

I would argue though Doucoure's height and strength on the ball is one of his clearly identifiable assets, and an asset that we sorely miss in our midfield. I'm struggling to think of Wolves players from the past decade who have fit into that midfielder mould. In terms of powerful, tall midfielders, there's Doumbia, N'Diaye, at a real push Saiss and with far less technical ability, Karl Henry. Perhaps the difficulty in drawing more parallels is because we have been so bereft of that type of player?

At any rate, your point is well taken. Black footballers are complete players - not just 'pace', 'power' and 'size' - but with this particular footballer, his physicality and strength on the ball specifically would be an asset to our midfield.

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although I should add that the rumoured Pahlinha is 6'3 so perhaps he offers similar assets to Doucoure?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a mixed race man myself I think that type of article is more damaging rather than being 'progressive'.

A lot of black athletes are considered superiorly athletic across many sports look at the NBA & NFL for an example of this it's nothing to be ashamed of thinking that, I'm not offended personally by it.

Doucore is similar built to Patrick Viera a man who is the athletic type of midfielder everyone in football wants in their team he made that style famous

I don't see the issue with Doucore being compared to other imposing black midfielders as there isn't many 6ft 3/4 imposing white midfield players to compare him with if I'm being honest.

On Doucore he's the type of player are midfield could do with but I'm not sure it will happen

Superb post.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing that annoys me is when black players are described as a 'beast'. Only white player that people call a beast is Andy Carroll.... and tbf he is actually a beast :D

D

Deleted member 4184

Big strong athletic player. Sometimes we need that in the midfield

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watford have put a big price on him but the longer he is still there the lower the price they’ll accept will become. They know his heart won’t be in it at Watford next season and will sell and the later in the window he goes the lower the fee. Not sure he’s the right player for us, certainly not at £35m , but at £20m he’d be worth the risk.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fwiw, I think he's a quality player. Threw his toys out the pram when he didn't get his psg move but doesny stop him from being excellent

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Just another polite note,where has anyone focussed excessively on him being a black player or his physicality?
No one cares what colour he is,as long as he fits our system,and if hes a big lad then its worth mentioning isnt it?
I really dont get this obsession with some about race,as football fans we only care if they are good enough to play for us and improve the team,any other conotation is purely detrimental to the people that bring it up imo

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only in 2020 can you be linked with a player then someone request you don't talk about some of his main attributes because of the colour of his skin.

Moving on from that nonsense. He'd be a great signing, just what we need when we play with 3 in the middle, strong, athletic, carries the ball forward well - which is something we don't have in centre midfield.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, whether it's Doucoure or someone else, this position should be where we make the 'marquee' signing. Our lack of depth in the midfield is one thing, but we really miss this type of player so much for certain games, and have done for 2 seasons now.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Would be a good signing if true. He is tall and athletic as well as being good on the ball. I dont say that because of his race, I say it because it is true and would be a quality addition.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

A second polite note to add to this, because it's a football messageboard and arguments break out : nobody is being accused of being racist when someone politely points out that they/we use tropes related to racism in our conversations. We're just being asked to note the tropes exist, and as people who aren't racist, not to use them. There's zero need at all for anyone to get defensive about a comment like this. Just to note it, think about it, and make small adjustments.

Back on topic, I've been saying throughout the window I think Doucoure would be a good signing. I still don't see it happening, but he'd go straight into our starting eleven in the 343.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
. We're just being asked to note the tropes exist, and as people who aren't racist, not to use them. There's zero need at all for anyone to get defensive about a comment like this. Just to note it, think about it, and make small adjustments.

Or you could just give your head a wobble and stop trying to tone police.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Or you could just give your head a wobble and stop trying to tone police.

One final polite request, to actually read the comment you're replying to, which was saying there's no need to fight, no need to get defensive, and nobody is being accused of being racist.

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One final polite request, to actually read the comment you're replying to, which was saying there's no need to fight, no need to get defensive, and nobody is being accused of being racist.
I'm not being defensive. You're the one that (unnecessarily) brought race into a discussion about a player on a football forum. If that's all you think about, then more power to you, but try not to inflict your ideologies onto others.

D

Deleted member 4023

Everton stadium delayed due to design changes - they'll sign as many players as they can to keep the fans happy.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not being defensive. You're the one that (unnecessarily) brought race into a discussion about a player on a football forum. If that's all you think about, then more power to you, but try not to inflict your ideologies onto others.

Nope, someone else raised the issue and I added a little more detail and context to it. It's clearly not all I think about since, even in this thread, I've been talking about the player, the signing, and how I think he'd fit into our tactics. And, once again, part of my addition to that particular line of thought was to caution against the need to get into a fight on a messageboard. If that's what you're looking for, you won't get it from me. I'll be muting you and continuing on with the football chat.

iantendo

Reaction score
Monaco are after him as well according to the Daily Heil

Back
Top Bottom