Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Aaron Ramsey

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not certain we were ever truly interested in bringing him to our club but certainly there have been plenty of rumours. I can't help but think that he has shown an incredible lack of ambition joining Rangers though. Sure they will probably win the league and have a little run of European football and as he has stated he gets to play in front of 50k crowds every 2 weeks. But what about the other weeks when he's playing in front of less than 10k crowds? And that's without even discussing the extremely low grade standard of football up there. Seems to me he's just maximising his pay for the least effort required. Not that many of us wouldn't mind a career like that!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not certain we were ever truly interested in bringing him to our club but certainly there have been plenty of rumours. I can't help but think that he has shown an incredible lack of ambition joining Rangers though. Sure they will probably win the league and have a little run of European football and as he has stated he gets to play in front of 50k crowds every 2 weeks. But what about the other weeks when he's playing in front of less than 10k crowds? And that's without even discussing the extremely low grade standard of football up there. Seems to me he's just maximising his pay for the least effort required. Not that many of us wouldn't mind a career like that!
Perhaps, given his injuries, he is being realistic about what he can now do?

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy football nothing league... Nice n sleazy does it.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he also wanted somewhere he is guaranteed to play so he’s fit for Wales international matches.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he did actually turn down teams like us and around us then it shows where his ambitions lie as a footballer now. Going to Rangers or Celtic from a top league is a move for either a young player on loan or a soon to be retired player looking to play in a winning team and earn money regardless of the level.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play to him really. Rangers have a tradition of rehabilitating crock midfielders to a decent standard (Gazza) and he will get first team football there, silverware and play for a good manager. Apart from the latter, he was unlikely to get that at Wolves (FA Cup aside) and none of it at Burnley.

Playing games to get match fit is absolute must at this point of his career and if he stays wheelchair-free then maybe someone from the Prem will take a gamble on him. As someone else has said on here though, very few players come back better to the PL after being abroad, it's just too physical and competitive in comparison to the other top Euro Leagues.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply put....

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He needed to go to a place small enough where he can dictate his minutes to ensure peak fitness for Wales.

geowolf

Reaction score
He needed to go to a place small enough where he can dictate his minutes to ensure peak fitness for Wales.
I hope it goes according to plan and he plays a blinder against Austria on March 24th. Be funny it they then end up facing Scotland.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doubt we were ever seriously interested
May have made a half ***** inquiry but nothing more

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With a world cup round the corner... had there been an offer from any Premier League club he wouldn't have ended up at Rangers.

A lot of people seem to remember as the Aaron Ramsay who played for Arsenal 5 years ago.... he is nowhere near as good now.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a bad move for him tbh. In all fairness, IF we had genuinely been in for him, many would be saying it’s a big risk given his recent fitness issues and lack of playing time. We’d be bemoaning the gamble if he played 4 games then was crocked for 2/3 months whilst being paid.
Rangers are a big club, virtually guaranteed European competition every year. Ramsey may well have a bigger impact there than he would in the premier league now because of the relative strength/weakness of the respective divisions.
I think he’s probably made a good choice at this point in his career, but I’m quite glad we haven’t taken a punt on him just so we have an extra body for midfield. Much the same as I think Brentford signing Christian Erikson is a huge gamble and one I’m glad WWFC hasn’t taken.
Hope both players manage to keep their career alive (as well as actually staying alive for Erikson).

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only there for the rest of the season isn't he? Why not go and win a medal rather than scrap in a relegation fight?

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Easy football nothing league... Nice n sleazy does it.
That's what Joey Barton thought...... It might not be a great standard (lack of Sky Billions will do that to a league) but if he comes here with that attitude, he'll fail, like many EPL players have in the past.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I understand it Rangers are paying him nothing. Juventus cover his wages, Ramsey gets fit (perhaps), maybe gets some silverware, Rangers may have a player who should be fantastic in that league. Sweet for everyone except Juventus and makes you wonder what sort of influence he was in Italy.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Ramsey's medal haul is like but I'm sure retired footballers love to show their grand-children all the trophies they won in their career. As well as swelling his bank a/c Ramsey is sure to win a ton of medals with Rangers which must be appealing. Good luck to him!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I understand it Rangers are paying him nothing. Juventus cover his wages, Ramsey gets fit (perhaps), maybe gets some silverware, Rangers may have a player who should be fantastic in that league. Sweet for everyone except Juventus and makes you wonder what sort of influence he was in Italy.

Think it was a good deal all round to be honest as realistically Juve were not getting any joy selling or loaning him without paying some or all of his wages. This way, it’s possible he does well and gets a proper move in the summer and they can save at least 12 months wages.

I guess he might have been an interesting option for us on a similar deal, but we likely couldn’t guarantee him regular football unless Neves or Mouts were injured.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's what Joey Barton thought...... It might not be a great standard (lack of Sky Billions will do that to a league) but if he comes here with that attitude, he'll fail, like many EPL players have in the past.
I wouldn’t say Barton is a good argument. He was on the scrap heap long before he went to Rangers.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say Barton is a good argument. He was on the scrap heap long before he went to Rangers.
I agree. To be fair to Ramsey his problem is his broken body. Joey Barton's problem is that he is a grade A AH and gob****e to use the Scouse vernacular.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We prob never enquired -he was offered to us together with quite a few Prem teams.As he is allegedly on £200k a week and the highest paid player in Scotland according to the Sky transfer pundits is on £40k a week -Juve are picking up most if not all his wages.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's set to miss the Old Firm game due to lack of fitness.

If ever the phrase "start as you mean to go on" was appropriate.
He will be in for a huge shock when he is "ready" so many players go to Scotland thinking it will be a walk in the park only for them to be sent packing with their tales between their legs.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he will do well at Rangers.
He isnt that old, looks good for Wales but just doesnt get games at Juventus. If it was only about the cash then he could sit in Italy and pick up a wage for doing nothing, hes elected to go to Rangers so obviously wants to play Still.

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Probably true, but he still came back and played 18 times for Premier League Burnley that season, after he'd been punted by Rangers after only 5 games, for a mixture of being utterly ****e and a training ground fight with Andy Halliday. If ever there's a fight you'd want both sides to lose, that's definitely right up there!

If Ramsey can get his body sticky-taped together long enough to get on the pitch, I can't see him doing a Barton / Shane Duffy / Roy Keane / Dion Dublin / Ian Wright / Ljungberg / Juninho / Henri Camara / Carlton Cole / Daryl Murphy / James Beattie / Michael Ball / El Hadj Diouf etc, etc, all of whom were utter useless in Scotland.

Reactions: Ned

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
Even on one leg he could play better than any Rangers player did last night v Celtic. They were dreadful and if Celtic had kept going it could have been 5 or 6!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even on one leg he could play better than any Rangers player did last night v Celtic. They were dreadful and if Celtic had kept going it could have been 5 or 6!

Scary to think Celtic were missing I think 5 or 6 players as well.

Back
Top Bottom