Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

A Striker For January

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
So whilst we try and sort out the here and now, it's no doubt become obvious that we are in the proverbial when it comes to a key position. Kalajdzic out for the season (probably), Raul suffering with form/injury/chronic fatigue, Hwang out of confidence and form, and Fabio pulling up trees on a loan that we have no break clause in.

Yes Sara's injury was unfortunate, but this is a culmination of more than one poor window in this department.

Given that the World Cup, our desperation and the usual difficulty getting players in January will drive up price, who do we realistically think we could get in January?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ajorque, Andre Silva, Breteton-Dias. The list isn’t long.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So whilst we try and sort out the here and now, it's no doubt become obvious that we are in the proverbial when it comes to a key position. Kalajdzic out for the season (probably), Raul suffering with form/injury/chronic fatigue, Hwang out of confidence and form, and Fabio pulling up trees on a loan that we have no break clause in.

Yes Sara's injury was unfortunate, but this is a culmination of more than one poor window in this department.

Given that the World Cup, our desperation and the usual difficulty getting players in January will drive up price, who do we realistically think we could get in January?
A lot of hindsight in the various comments on here and with that caveat it seems strange now that we would splash £27 mil on Guedes, when we had Hwang, Neto, Traore and Podence who can all play in a similar position to him? That money, and more, would have been better used on a top, injury-free CF. I suppose the Club are hoping now that Costa (permit permitting) can see us through to January (and beyond?) and that Jimenez can re-gain his mojo. Loads of 'ifs' and 'buts' but if that should happen we may be in no worse position than the last 2 seasons regarding the striker situation.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With 3 strikers on books and a 4th coming (hopefully this week) unlikely we’ll be signing another in January.

At best a 6 month loan.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've just spent nearly £20m on Sasa, I imagine in January we will only be looking for loans.

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Why don’t we just consider converting a spare defender into a centre forward, like in the good old days.

I remember in the 60s, when we didn’t have a recognised centre forward available due to injury, etc., we shoved Dave Woodfield ( a centre half) up front and he did a terrific job.

Get Toti trained up quickly!! :)

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on league position and if scoring goals is an issue.

We might need nothing or spend big to get us out of a mess.

Spellbinder

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leonardo Campana will be available for us in January as his loan in the MLS finishes in October so he will have had a bit of a break as well....

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ramos would be ideal. But January prices and the club will be looking to loan someone not buy. With Jiminez perhaps on his last season with us then we need to buy a quality replacement next summer and surely Ramos is the man.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ramos would be ideal. But January prices and the club will be looking to loan someone not buy. With Jiminez perhaps on his last season with us then we need to buy a quality replacement next summer and surely Ramos is the man.
I think Ramos is now outside our price range. Can't see that changing.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing the thread title makes me think it is a very poor selling calendar from back in the day, with Arthur Scargill on the front cover...

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Ramos and the South American kid, whose name escapes me, I got the feeling Benfica have a bit of a point to make with Wolves. Putting us in our place, so to speak. Not such a soft touch as Sporting, when it comes to competing in an area they have considered their own for many years. A sale to the "English Portugal" comes with a premium and they are happy enough if we can't, or won't, pay it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Ramos and the South American kid, whose name escapes me, I got the feeling Benfica have a bit of a point to make with Wolves. Putting us in our place, so to speak. Not such a soft touch as Sporting, when it comes to competing in an area they have considered their own for many years. A sale to the "English Portugal" comes with a premium and they are happy enough if we can't, or won't, pay it.
Time for us to ramp up the effort and **** them off then!

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would just move for Noni Madueke rather than a target man type striker and Dario Osorio in january as well, Madueke can play striker in a 2 or inverted rw. If we have Raul and Costa and can pair them up with one of guedes, hwang or madueke up top as well as having neto, podence, adama and osorio to play the winger roles, I think we would be okay till summer.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pulling up trees in a league anyone with legs could do well in.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
A lot of hindsight in the various comments on here and with that caveat it seems strange now that we would splash £27 mil on Guedes, when we had Hwang, Neto, Traore and Podence who can all play in a similar position to him? That money, and more, would have been better used on a top, injury-free CF. I suppose the Club are hoping now that Costa (permit permitting) can see us through to January (and beyond?) and that Jimenez can re-gain his mojo. Loads of 'ifs' and 'buts' but if that should happen we may be in no worse position than the last 2 seasons regarding the striker situation.
We have been obsessed with Guedes for the past 3 season and this was our opportunity to finally get him. Thought we paid over the odds for a player who only had one year left on his contract. So far hasn't proven to be any better than what we had and needs to justify his transfer fee. Granted he's new to the league and needs settling in but needs to do it more quickly now. Being from the Mendes stable also plays a part in him coming to us.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have been obsessed with Guedes for the past 3 season and this was our opportunity to finally get him. Thought we paid over the odds for a player who only had one year left on his contract. So far hasn't proven to be any better than what we had and needs to justify his transfer fee. Granted he's new to the league and needs settling in but needs to do it more quickly now. Being from the Mendes stable also plays a part in him coming to us.
I like Guedes he works very hard. A bit like Hwang in some ways. They both need to shoot more like everyone else within our team. We cannot walk the ball into the net

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Better options, don't fancy him at all

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not according to Anderlecht sources
And even if there was a break clause, why would Fabio want to come back? Hopefully he’d have helped Anderlecht progress in the Europa League and will be near the top of the Belgian league.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pulling up trees in a league anyone with legs could do well in.
Scored in Europe last night and played very well…..

Scoring in U21 internationals too….

Why the negativity that a young lad who needed game time and less pressure is getting that? And is scoring goals, what has he got to do to not get negativity amongst certain people in the fan base? Slagged off for not scoring and now slagged off when he does score and scoring and assisting regularly…..

Also he is learning to pull the trigger and back himself to shoot which at times was his issue last year, when so much of his outside the box work was getting better and better.

This loan will be the making of the lad.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
As a matter of interest who is Benfica’s major banker - BCP - and who is the largest shareholder in BCP - Fosun. And who has enabled additional credit facility in recent years when Benfica were struggling with debt repayments. Just putting into context this idea of Benfica running rings around Wolves. Let’s say its more nuanced.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scored in Europe last night and played very well…..

Scoring in U21 internationals too….

Why the negativity that a young lad who needed game time and less pressure is getting that? And is scoring goals, what has he got to do to not get negativity amongst certain people in the fan base? Slagged off for not scoring and now slagged off when he does score and scoring and assisting regularly…..

Also he is learning to pull the trigger and back himself to shoot which at times was his issue last year, when so much of his outside the box work was getting better and better.

This loan will be the making of the lad.
I don't see negativity here tbh. Just some posters questioning whether Silva could be brought back early.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see negativity here tbh. Just some posters questioning whether Silva could be brought back early.
I replied to a guy putting his scoring in Belgium down on a night he scored a pressure pen in Europe.

But in general mate many many on here put him down all the time or written him off or hammer him for the he didn’t set for himself.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1662788519203.jpg
Credit to Declan Pierce for the above.

I think those options are as good as anything the club has ever seen.

For me, the question at the end of the season will be do we keep one of Raul or Diego or both. Fabio will clearly be the main man and Sasa first back-up looking to make up for lost time.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 30147
Credit to Declan Pierce for the above.

I think those options are as good as anything the club has ever seen.

For me, the question at the end of the season will be do we keep one of Raul or Diego or both. Fabio will clearly be the main man and Sasa first back-up looking to make up for lost time.
As many unanswered questions for next season as possible...how will Costa fit in? Will Raul find his mojo, will the 2 of them be getting too old? Will Sasa be able to remain fit? WillFabio be up to it?

Back
Top Bottom