Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

A new realism - and as always we are all in this together.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you ready for the challenge of our new reality ?
Pressure can pull us apart or bring us together.
Looking at this board we are on the cusp.
This next season could be a crunch season for the relationship between club and owners.
Have your opinions changed over the last few weeks ? What is your new or old mindset ?

My opinion is that Fosun have been good in the past and spent heavily to avoid relegation. But Fosun are now expecting us to be profitable .
Thats fair , they are not a charity, or a Wolverhampton based philanthropist.

I found SJH era frustrating , due to incompetence , Steve Morgans made me angry due to what I saw as subterfuge.
Fosun I respect. They tried a new approach with Mendes.
They have made genuine mistakes but have had to adapt to seismic changes in 8 years.
JL should commit, players should commit , we should commit , and Fosun must improve and manage the club better.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get off to a decent start and it might happen, get off to a bad one and atmosphere could start getting toxic. First 7 or 8 games this season could be crucial to how our season shapes up.
Plenty of potential in the team but also plyerd unproven in the prem and question marks over injury record, form, consistency etc over a number of players

Feels like it’s on a knife edge at the moment

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good thread title.
Most, if not all Premier League teams have the same issues.
Not all have been aired publicly.
Fosun have done a remarkable job so far.
There have been some recent disappointments with regard to players costing a lot and not delivering the goods. Some swings and roundabouts there.
It seems quite reasonable for Fosun, as a business, to be prudent with the approach given the circumstances.
Jeff Shi wasn’t dispatched from China to run Wolves because he was that useless incompetent that Fosun wanted rid off. He got the job because he was trusted and respected.
On balance he’s done a good job here.
Yes it’s frustrating we haven’t got pots of money to waste but we should accept the situation and stick together.
With regards to FFP you have to believe that Jeff is fully knowledgeable of our position and any potential future consequences should we fall foul again.
He will be a shrewd man.
Just maybe ( only maybe) the whole media thing with JL and the shortage of funds is a deliberate ploy to demonstrate to the powers that be that Wolves do take it seriously and are endeavouring to comply.
Any future punishments might be toned down as a result.
In any event, the strength is in the pack and although we can all share our conflicting views on here we should continue to embrace that.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've supported Fosun in the past, but that's changed specifically in the last week.

Their financial planning is now known to be non-existent. Mendes has pulled Jeff's pants down and now we're paying the price (literally).

I hope they find a buyer quickly and get out before Lop follows the rest of the squad out of the door.

What has happened/happening is unforgivable and the silence from the top is deafening.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've supported Fosun in the past, but that's changed specifically in the last week.

Their financial planning is now known to be non-existent. Mendes has pulled Jeff's pants down and now we're paying the price (literally).

I hope they find a buyer quickly and get out before Lop follows the rest of the squad out of the door.

What has happened/happening is unforgivable and the silence from the top is deafening.
Surely the financial planing went when we almost got relegated . They then pumped in money .

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve been the best owners in my lifetime.. I just hope that if they’ve reached the limits of their ambitions with Wolves, that they act accordingly and move on.

If they need a fallow year due to finances before reinvesting again, that’s fair enough also.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly getting to the point of not caring that much either way. Football is crap these days and I just don't think it is really worth all the work up and hassle we put ourselves through for an at very best 7th place finish which in itself is a pipe dream now any way. And if we get relegated, is it really that bad? Win more games, actually see some goals and don't have to listen to the constant big six horse****.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tough times ahead but I think selling these players like Sanderson and Giles makes me think whats the point in our young players . they know they will never get a chance or if they do they will be sold . So we are ****ed from the bottom right way up at the moment .

I do think if Lopetegui went in the next few weeks then we are in serious **** .

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve been the best owners in my lifetime.. I just hope that if they’ve reached the limits of their ambitions with Wolves, that they act accordingly and move on.

If they need a fallow year due to finances before reinvesting again, that’s fair enough also.
But you can’t do “fallow years” in elite football…..

That is how you get relegated.

The moment you stand still you are dead

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
We are all restless, even without all the nonsense. We need some actual football & maybe even a goal or two! :relieved:

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's fair enough but communicate that out to the paying fans . Rather than hiding and saying **** all .

As you imagine a bad start next season then the chanting will start and Lop will probably walk

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But you can’t do “fallow years” in elite football…..

That is how you get relegated.

The moment you stand still you are dead
Maybe that’s true, maybe it isn’t. It’s a risk for sure, but it’s not guaranteed that we’re getting relegated.

We spent best part of 150mill last year due to an awful start to the season. Our busiest January ever I believe.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's fair enough but communicate that out to the paying fans . Rather than hiding and saying **** all .

As you imagine a bad start next season then the chanting will start and Lop will probably walk
The lack of communication is what gives me extra suspicion that they might be open to selling.. they don’t appear to be making efforts to keep the fans onboard.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly getting to the point of not caring that much either way. Football is crap these days and I just don't think it is really worth all the work up and hassle we put ourselves through for an at very best 7th place finish which in itself is a pipe dream now any way. And if we get relegated, is it really that bad? Win more games, actually see some goals and don't have to listen to the constant big six horse****.
That’s a very romantic view of the championship. Having spent more time in the last 30 years in it rather than out of it I’d be absolutely devastated to return to it. Half empty stadium, sub standard players. I’d rather be mid table mediocrity in the premier league seeing some of the best players in world football than watching championship dross again.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m just a little bit bewildered about where we are at.

It’s very hard to understand all that is happening so quickly. Squad being decimated, JL unhappy, dilapidated stadium, ticket prices increasing, nothing but negativity. Contradictory statements about our supposed targets, Scott and Elvidi, in that we have made offers, but can’t afford to buy them makes no sense at all. Have we got money to spend or haven’t we got money to spend?

After the last 7 years I can’t understand what is going on. Yes, I think we needed changes to the squad and expected it, but without replacements and the continuing outpouring of ‘we have no money to spend’’ is hard to stomach.

We are definitely weaker as a squad following all the departures (with more to come) whilst our rivals are
improving, with us likely to be even further adrift from the big 6 than at any time since promotion.

It would be courteous and respectful to our great fans if Mr Shi actually came out told us what is going on, rather than having to read about it or listen to online chats, some of it from people not even connected to the club and wanting to make headlines.

I have followed our great club for nearly 60 years, through thick and thin. Fosun deserve praise for coming in and providing the funds to make us compete with some of the best and I am grateful for that. Great players bought and some of the best football I have been privileged to witness. The tap now seems to have been firmly switched off and nobody knows what Fosuns ambitions for the Club are.

I will hold back making more comments until the season actually starts, but atm I am pretty bewildered.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand fans talking about relegation and winning more games in the lower leagues.

Do you tell players to stop winning games because we might get promoted?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m just a little bit bewildered about where we are at.

It’s very hard to understand all that is happening so quickly. Squad being decimated, JL unhappy, dilapidated stadium, ticket prices increasing, nothing but negativity. Contradictory statements about our supposed targets, Scott and Elvidi, in that we have made offers, but can’t afford to buy them makes no sense at all. Have we got money to spend or haven’t we got money to spend?

After the last 7 years I can’t understand what is going on. Yes, I think we needed changes to the squad and expected it, but without replacements and the continuing outpouring of ‘we have no money to spend’’ is hard to stomach.

We are definitely weaker as a squad following all the departures (with more to come) whilst our rivals are
improving, with us likely to be even further adrift from the big 6 than at any time since promotion.

It would be courteous and respectful to our great fans if Mr Shi actually came out told us what is going on, rather than having to read about it or listen to online chats, some of it from people not even connected to the club and wanting to make headlines.

I have followed our great club for nearly 60 years, through thick and thin. Fosun deserve praise for coming in and providing the funds to make us compete with some of the best and I am grateful for that. Great players bought and some of the best football I have been privileged to witness. The tap now seems to have been firmly switched off and nobody knows what Fosuns ambitions for the Club are.

I will hold back making more comments until the season actually starts, but atm I am pretty bewildered.
I think this is their way of communicating with the fans.

It was posted on here last night that Alex Crook (journalist on TalkSPORT) said the club were looking at ways to send a message to the fans, and then the day after this piece from The Athletic comes out. It's not a coincidence IMO.

Obviously, to me and you and other fans, it would be much easier if Wolves did it themselves as you said, but things don't work like that for whatever reason!

With regards your general point, unfortunately we're in a bad position right now. We have owners who want to sell, so that's where we are. There won't be any money, which was said between Guillem Balague and Lopetegui.

So don't get your hopes up on transfers, and the only priority will be to stay in the Premier League.

We need to just hope that one day soon we get the announcement that we're being sold. It was interesting that Kieran Maguire (finance expert) said that Chinese businesses don't talk about sales in public, they just happen. So there will be hope that it can just come out the blue. However, we all know how this works in football. It could be months, it could be years.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I’m nowhere near clever enough to understand all the financial side of football. I always got the impression that Fosun ran our club pretty well, so I’m not sure whether I was very naive or that they did until recently.

But whatever happens I care first and foremost about the players out on the pitch. Nothing will change that, who the players are, who owns the club, what league we’re in, we’re Wolves ay we.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand fans talking about relegation and winning more games in the lower leagues.

That doesn't make any sense? I am talking about me personally. I would likely get as much joy watching us win games in the champo as I do in the prem.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall a couple of seasons ago for me. I mean anyone who cares about a club would at least keep the stadium updated with the basics and I mean the basics . Fosun never have done this . Look at the graham Hughes stand it failed safety checks . We are a Premiership club not Stourbridge town.

As I said before name another Chinese backed club in the Prem spending money .

Chinese owners I can think of are Villa's old one and WBA owners and with both clubs their fans were or are s happy with how they are run. I remember at the time Villa fans saying no communication and the Albion fans have struggled to hear anything form their owner haven't they . unless I have missed something ?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That doesn't make any sense? I am talking about me personally. I would likely get as much joy watching us win games in the champo as I do in the prem.
That’s you, personally.

Me, personally, I want us to be competing in the best league in the world, against the best players, full stadiums, great atmospheres, with a great squad, state of the art Molineux and everything else that comes with it.

I’ve witnessed us playing in every division of the football league, including the old fourth division, with only 2 parts of the Mol open. 4,000 fans to watch us play Rochdale!

Its a no to the Championship from me CW.

Thats me personally.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is their way of communicating with the fans.

It was posted on here last night that Alex Crook (journalist on TalkSPORT) said the club were looking at ways to send a message to the fans, and then the day after this piece from The Athletic comes out. It's not a coincidence IMO.

Obviously, to me and you and other fans, it would be much easier if Wolves did it themselves as you said, but things don't work like that for whatever reason!

With regards your general point, unfortunately we're in a bad position right now. We have owners who want to sell, so that's where we are. There won't be any money, which was said between Guillem Balague and Lopetegui.

So don't get your hopes up on transfers, and the only priority will be to stay in the Premier League.

We need to just hope that one day soon we get the announcement that we're being sold. It was interesting that Kieran Maguire (finance expert) said that Chinese businesses don't talk about sales in public, they just happen. So there will be hope that it can just come out the blue. However, we all know how this works in football. It could be months, it could be years.
As a corporate entity with securities and shares on open markets around the globe, there are presumably things that you cannot, or cannot prudently, say in public?

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The team as it stands is good enough to survive next season injuries permitting, but you can only tread water for so long, and I don't think we've seen the end of the outgoings.

I really don't want a return to the Chump, a horrible horrible division

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s you, personally.

Me, personally, I want us to be competing in the best league in the world, against the best players, full stadiums, great atmospheres, with a great squad, state of the art Molineux and everything else that comes with it.

I’ve witnessed us playing in every division of the football league, including the old fourth division, with only 2 parts of the Mol open. 4,000 fans to watch us play Rochdale!

Its a no to the Championship from me CW.

Thats me personally.

No worries, each to their own. And there are parts I would miss but overall I just don't think it would change my world that much. That said, it is easier to say that from 5000 miles away.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve done exactly the same.I never missed a home or away match wen we went through all the divisions.Mind ya it did help that we got complimentary tickets off Andy Thompson.Us Featherstone lads stick together..lol.Will always love wolves and I’ve renewed my home and away season tickets.But if I’m honest I’m losing my love of football.I was a member of England matches for well over 20 years and I stopped wen they moved to the new Wembley.It ay a patch on the twin towers,and wen we played Watford there I realised why I’d stopped gewin.Didn’t enjoy it one minute,and to think if we had won we’d have to gew back there filled me with horror.You can tell how much I hate the place .Now with VAR and all these players ****ing it to Saudi and talk of wolves selling up.On top of all the stupid kick off times I m on the verge of giving up.I’d rather watch all the games on tv and save me money
For a good holiday.If ya think I’m talking crap,you’re probably right as I’ve just com out of the Hoggs Head.lol

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A bit like Albion's "business decision" to lose matches so as not to qualify for Europe? :D

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe that’s true, maybe it isn’t. It’s a risk for sure, but it’s not guaranteed that we’re getting relegated.

We spent best part of 150mill last year due to an awful start to the season. Our busiest January ever I believe.
It is definitely true…..

Just look at the spend of those who are relegated in the relegation season to the ones before…..

We had the massive spend because they ****ed up the summer….. simple

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is definitely true…..

Just look at the spend of those who are relegated in the relegation season to the ones before…..

We had the massive spend because they ****ed up the summer….. simple
It isn’t “definitely true” that we will be relegated if we have one summer where we don’t spend money? It does make it more likely..

R

reanswolf

I might be one of a few, but I will always be eternally grateful to FOSUN and specifically Jeff Shi for choosing Wolves and giving me my best Wolves supporting years.

They will go with my blessing.

I’d be surprised if many are queuing up to buy the club.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn’t “definitely true” that we will be relegated if we have one summer where we don’t spend money? It does make it more likely..
I never said we will get relegated in the reply.

I said teams who freeze or significantly reduce spending do

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the £99 million pound loan was used for ?. As I presume it was used in January for part of the spending spree.

Just concerning that Fosun want £50 Million supposedly . We spent £150 million last season but had a loan of 99 million . We did sell a few players last season as well . So just trying to workout what they have spent in the last two seasons say . As it does point to that they want to look to flip us very soon for a profit on what they paid for us possibly .

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I might be one of a few, but I will always be eternally grateful to FOSUN and specifically Jeff Shi for choosing Wolves and giving me my best Wolves supporting years.

Definitely.

Not a good time to be a club up for sale.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with every single word of that

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If a sale could be sorted now, most would agree with this I think. The longer it drags on, the worse it gets for their reputation. As gradually we will lose more and more players, before a likely relegation.

I don't know why, but people are buying clubs now. Especially in the Premier League. Hopefully it can happen quickly.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Problems for us as fans is that a sale takes months . So we have to pray we can survive this season .

That's why I wanted to keep Chiquinho , Giles and Sanderson . Even Sarkic , yes probably not ready but better than rolling out Dads army in the new season.

Back
Top Bottom