Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

6 years ago today

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder whether I will ever see anything like that again.
Top of the SB and right behind the goal, I watched the balls trajectory with mouth wide open and just shook my head in total amazement as it hit the back of the net.
There seemed to be a moment of calm whilst all around registered what they'd all witnessed, then bang the whole ground erupted!!

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Fantastic goal, what a player and what a time for us. He was truly special for us. I got started following the club around the 17/18 season and I got the feeling that something special was happening right away. Lightning seems to have struck during that whole era, it was magical. Can't believe that whole season took place 6/7 years ago now, wow...

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I love this shot, the faces in the crowd, they just sum it up. That and when everyone watched the replay on the screen and gasped again when they realised it was as good as it looked first time. Still winds me up that people reckon we're better off without him!IMG_20240411_180303.jpg

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stunned silence for a few seconds before Molineux errupted into celebration, even some Derby fans below us applauded.

Found the Jimmy Bullard sketch with Neves equally interesting, after recreating the goal on Neves' second attempt, proving it was no fluke.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder whether I will ever see anything like that again.
Top of the SB and right behind the goal, I watched the balls trajectory with mouth wide open and just shook my head in total amazement as it hit the back of the net.
There seemed to be a moment of calm whilst all around registered what they'd all witnessed, then bang the whole ground erupted!!
Not in a Wolves shirt I wouldn’t think.. there is nothing that comes close in the other 41 years of me watching..

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching with my 5 day old baby girl in her crib, what a great week that was.

What speaks to the brilliance of Neves is even at that age, as he took the touch 30 yards out, and lined it up, you knew there was a good chance it would go in.

He is an unbelievable technician and I hope he gets to showcase his talent at the very highest level in his career. I don’t think we will appreciate how lucky we were to have him for a long time.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love this shot, the faces in the crowd, they just sum it up. That and when everyone watched the replay on the screen and gasped again when they realised it was as good as it looked first time. Still winds me up that people reckon we're better off without him!View attachment 41768
What a glorious photo of a gloriously fab moment !
UTW

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It genuinely gets better each time you see it.

What’s amazing is not only how far out it is and that was the only place he could have put it to score, but he was going BACKWARDS when he hit it.

A goal for the ages

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is that 6 years ago?

We’ve been on a wild ride since, but somehow that feels like it should be 2/3 seasons ago.

I’m so glad I decided to go up that evening from London, would have kicked myself if I’d missed.

As others have said, it’s crazy to think VAR would see that potentially ruled out today.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched it again and there are two Wolves in an offside position in front of the goalkeeper as Neves hits it.
It would probably be disallowed in the Premier League :rolleyes:

We had better keep that quiet, otherwise it might be retrospectively disallowed.

the genius

Reaction score
Guessing like many on here its the best goal I've ever or likely to see live.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had better keep that quiet, otherwise it might be retrospectively disallowed.

SSN Breaking News:

Wolves have been docked 12 points with immediate effect for scoring a goal six years ago that VAR were denied the opportunity to intervene with.

A statement from Howard Webb said: “The PGMOL are sickened to the core that the Molineux faithful were able to celebrate a spectacular goal and enjoy the spectacle of football at its best without interference. We agree with the PL retrospective review that this is the only appropriate action. It goes without saying we apologize unreservedly to ‘big club’ Aston Villa, and specifically Messrs McGinn and Grealish that their speculative long range goals were outshone by the Portuguese strike.”

BulgarianWolf

Reaction score
I remember watching it live and my jaw dropping. Neves has some serious skills, that volley was pure class.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only downside was we never really got him forward enough in the Premier League for him to do this more regularly.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder if we'll ever feel that complete sense of unbridled euphoria again whilst VAR is doing its thing? The collective gasp and celebration of the crowd in the stadium was something I'd never experienced before, and there was no worry of any video reviews or any risk of the magic moment being taken away from us. I remember when we were at the game against Utd when Neves scored another screamer and VAR tried its best to steal the moment away from us, accompanied by a long chorus of "**** VAR" - although, I guess we did get to celebrate that goal twice (when going in and when not over-ruled). Since then I almost expect our goals to be ruled out and that nagging doubt has definitely taken something away from my enjoyment and celebration of them.

Anyway, enough of my negativity about VAR - what a goal and what a player. Hopefully we might get some more long-range stunners from Doyle or B Traore in the future - both seem to enjoy a pop at goal from midfield...

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching on my PC - Jumped up and smacked my knees on the table and keyboard jumped up a few inches.

A goal you can never stop watching.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when we were at the game against Utd when Neves scored another screamer and VAR tried its best to steal the moment away from us, accompanied by a long chorus of "**** VAR" - although, I guess we did get to celebrate that goal twice (when going in and when not over-ruled). Since then I almost expect our goals to be ruled out and that nagging doubt has definitely taken something away from my enjoyment and celebration of them.

If I recall correctly that was the first game at Molineux after VAR’s introduction, right? Following Dendoncker’s disallowed goal the week before at Leicester I believe.

Anyway, we were in the pub before the United game saying the only way we’ll be able to celebrate like mad without worrying about VAR is if someone scores a 30 yard screamer. Cue Ruben Neves a couple of hours later, pandemonium ensued only for VAR to check for offside.

Have always hated VAR, always will.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my big regrets in football was I wasn't in attendance that night...

Was working in Cardiff, and found a pub to watch it. Convinced the landlord to put the match on in a back room. I think Juve v Real Madrid was on the other ten TV's.

Astonishingly the night before they weren't showing the Cardiff City match but instead Liverpool v City in the CL!

People watching the CL game came in to my private room to see what all the commotion was lol.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will still be talking about that goal in 20 years time.

What a team that was and what a time to be a wolves fan - there were some classic games towards the tail end of that season that epitomised the spirit and character of the team and Nuno - Boro, Cardiff, Ryan Bennett day at Bristol, etc. Love it

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I just remember the noise. There was almost like a split second of silence, then a noise I’ve not heard before or since from a football crowd. It wasn’t just a “YEEEESSSS” it was a “AAARGGHHWOOOOW”!

Back
Top Bottom