Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

41 years since Wolves last won 3 in a row at Molineux in the Top Tier !!!!!!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently with yesterday's superb win over West Ham Wolves have won three consecutive home games in the top league for the first time since Sky reinvented football. Being an anorak I was curious as to who Wolves beat and when it was when John Barnwell ( there is a statement of how long ago it was :):):) ) was in charge and here are the dates, teams and scorers.

SATURDAY OCTOBER 4th BIRMINGHAM CITY 1-0 JOHN RICHARDS 22,777

SATURDAY OCTOBER 18th LEEDS UNITED 2-1 EMLYN HUGHES 20,699
JOHN RICHARDS

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 1st SUNDERLAND 2-1 WAYNE CLARKE ( 2 ) 18,816

The streak was ended by one of our far too many bogey teams as on Saturday November 15th it was Wolves 0 Brighton 2. The good though followed that bad as Wolves next home game was on Tuesday November 25th and in front of 25,497 it was WOLVES 4 Liverpool 1, Norman Bell, Mel Eves, John Richards and is not how football is that Emlyn scored his last ever top flight goal for Wolves against Liverpool :D:D:D

gewolf

Reaction score
Apparently with yesterday's superb win over West Ham Wolves have won three consecutive home games in the top league for the first time since Sky reinvented football. Being an anorak I was curious as to who Wolves beat and when it was when John Barnwell ( there is a statement of how long ago it was :):):) ) was in charge and here are the dates, teams and scorers.

JOHN RICHARDS

The streak was ended by one of our far too many bogey teams as on Saturday November 15th it was Wolves 0 Brighton 2. The good though followed that bad as Wolves next home game was on Tuesday November 25th and in front of 25,497 it was WOLVES 4 Liverpool 1, Norman Bell, Mel Eves, John Richards and is not how football is that Emlyn scored his last ever top flight goal for Wolves against Liverpool :D:D:D
Poor attendances as well, although we did finish only 18th that season. The following season John Barnwell resigned in the January and was replaced by Ian Greaves, but we were relegated..
All that does, imho, show that we are surely in a much better position now than we were when we last managed three successive top flight home wins!

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor attendances as well, although we did finish only 18th that season. The following season John Barnwell resigned in the January and was replaced by Ian Greaves, but we were relegated..
All that does, imho, show that we are surely in a much better position now than we were when we last managed three successive top flight home wins!
We were the 12th best supported team 80/81 as crowds began to drop across the country
It was also the last time we had a 40,000 plus crowd v. Boro in the cup

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were the 12th best supported team 80/81 as crowds began to drop across the country
It was also the last time we had a 40,000 plus crowd v. Boro in the cup
And what a game and cracking atmosphere that was. Must have been about 5 full buses that flew past us waiting to get to town that evening. Re the late 70 and 80s, people just don't appreciate how grim things got in working class areas. Of course just a few years later, we would have killed for crowds of 18,000! If you said to someone standing on the South Bank for the very first time in 85/86 that this kop had 20k stood on it, just a few years earlier, they'd think you were taking mind bending drugs!

Last edited:

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor attendances as well, although we did finish only 18th that season.
With the Thatcher Government, elected in May 1979, cranking interest rates up to 15% and sparking a big recession, particularly in manufacturing (lots of small manufacturers were going bust in 1980-81), it was hard for a lot of people to justify spending on going to the football in the 1980-81 season (and not only in Wolvo). This economic downturn hit Wolves at exactly the wrong time, with a new stand, financed by borrowing, to pay for. The stage was set for the club to fall into bankruptcy in 1982.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the Thatcher Government, elected in May 1979, cranking interest rates up to 15% and sparking a big recession, particularly in manufacturing (lots of small manufacturers were going bust in 1980-81), it was hard for a lot of people to justify spending on going to the football in the 1980-81 season (and not only in Wolvo). This economic downturn hit Wolves at exactly the wrong time, with a new stand, financed by borrowing, to pay for. The stage was set for the club to fall into bankruptcy in 1982.
That stand and our iconic South Bank was all we had open just a couple of years later. How grim Molineux had become. Sad days, which haunt me anyway, to this day.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

JOHN RICHARDS

I think that liverpool win was played on a tuesday afternoon. Edit. I was wrong it was the 1-0 win in the league cup in 1973. Wednesday at 2pm. Imagine that today. Mid week, no tv coverage

Last edited:

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That season unemployment was at a post-war high, inflation was out of control and Wolverhampton had a load of steelworkers either on strike or unemployed due to all the local plants moving or closing down altogether.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that liverpool win was played on a tuesday afternoon. Edit. I was wrong it was the 1-0 win in the league cup in 1973. Wednesday at 2pm. Imagine that today. Mid week, no tv coverage
Miners strike, power cuts, schools closing early, etc. My first ever football match! Withdrew money from my school savings account to watch my old gold heroes at last!

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Miners strike, power cuts, schools closing early, etc. My first ever football match! Withdrew money from my school savings account to watch my old gold heroes at last!
had to work that day as one of the 3 day working week.
did go to an Arsenal away game where the prices were reduced because
of weekday afternoon start.went in their main stand where I was amazed the seats
were like armchairs

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes it was! Half of our school went missing. The teachers even said if you are not here nothing will be said. My parents knew nothing :). Norwich in the semi. Then the famous win over Man City at Wembley.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember that 4-1 win over Liverpool, Emlyn scoring in front of us at the North Bank end. Then wasn't it that night when Eamonn Andrews came onto the pitch at the end to take Emlyn off for This Is Your Life?

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at all 5 games mentioned in the OP. Happy days :)
I saw none, I'd left for Canada the year before and had very little news for some years. Nothing on TV, no internet, and Sunday papers were only available on the Tuesday following in the grocery store.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 4-1 win was one of the highlights of my time supporting Wolves. We went one up and Phil Neale equalised and we all thought it was nice while it lasted. In the second half we were fantastic and Hughes’ goal was the icing on the cake. He picked the ball up in his own half and charged forward and then played a one two and got ball back close to their box. His shot wasn’t actually that good but Colin Irwin got his feet in a tangle and ended up grabbing the post as the ball crossed the line. The glory hunting Liverpool fans at school were incredibly quiet for weeks after.

Back
Top Bottom