Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

41 points

superwolves

Reaction score
If we are looking to close the gap of 41 points as a target for next season who do we think of our current 11 recent regular starters will be replaced to achieve this

superwolves

Reaction score
Yes that won't be easy it's a case of who of the current 11 can't make it happen

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time for reflection, we are way ahead of schedule, at some stage we will need to consolidate. We have been incredibly fortunate with injuries and every signing has performed and settled into a new country and a very competitive league immediately, this won't continue forever.
It took Liverpool 30 years and £300 million to bridge the gap and they still failed.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
To be fair we should concentrate on closing the gap of nine points and widening the gap of three.

Quite correct....need to break through that glass ceiling before looking to dethrone anyone stationed above it.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've leaped massively in the last 22 months, the trajectory is likely going to slow down a little, closing the gap to 6th should be our next target.
Enjoy the journey, live every moment, celebrate every goal, because you sound like a kid in the back of the car, asking his dad-"are we there yet?"

madwolf

Reaction score
I like your style but dont think we will be challenging for the title next year but closing the gap to make top 6 is more realistic with the players we have and a few quality signings. 14 point difference from top 4 which aint bad considering first season back. Obvious replacement is Bennett .

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time for reflection, we are way ahead of schedule, at some stage we will need to consolidate. We have been incredibly fortunate with injuries and every signing has performed and settled into a new country and a very competitive league immediately, this won't continue forever.
It took Liverpool 30 years and £300 million to bridge the gap and they still failed.
That's right, if we want to tackle the 6 it's going to be tough, I'm hoping we've got the edge on everyone else because the people pulling our strings just now are on point and they've got the value for money formula right so far.
We're all learning as fans too, three years ago i was all for 442 loving the wingers and all the rest of it, I couldn't see us playing any other way with success, now I look back and think how far behind we were, it's frightening.

superwolves

Reaction score
This is the jist of the thread in the fact that all of the 11 of our regular starters have done great and it's hard to replace any of them. The task of finding 41 points improvement or 9 points to top 6 is gonna be a very difficult task next year

Kenny Hibbitt is my hero

Reaction score
I think you begin with the starting 11 today, Vinagre and MGW - assuming we get Dendoncker signed up.

Then you look at anyone who is better than those 13. I’m sure there will be a couple more loan signings, one or two more experienced players like Patricio and Moutinho, and maybe a marquee signing as well.

We also have to accept there is the possibility that one of the 13 gets tempted away. Clearly I hope not but we have to accept that it is a possibility.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who of the current 11 will need replacing to get top 6?

That’s a better question.

Honestly, 1st 11...nobody. Bennett maybe. Our latter half season form was enough to be amongst them.

Bench however, almost all of them.
We have 2 promising youngsters and a second GK that are probably top 6 bench standard.
Just having someone nearly as good as Jota and/or Jimenez to give them a rest or they’re having one of those days like Raul today. Would make a huge difference.

superwolves

Reaction score
Personally I think we are gonna be desperate for a creative attacking midfielder who is gonna help unlock packed defences. Does that mean dendonker drops out the team? Hopefully the expectation levels will be controlled as this thread highlights it's gonna be a tough job to close any gap

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of the Premiership/Premier League, Liverpool are a disaster given how much they have spent throughout those three decades of failure.

Arsenal, Chelsea, United, City have at least won the bloody thing a few times each. Even Leicester and Blackburn managed it.

Liverpool should never be allowed in the Champions League because they have never been Champions. So even that trophy is hollow in the light of their magnificent achievements in the 70's and 80's.

Kenny Hibbitt is my hero

Reaction score
How many points this season did we give up by not having an ability to change the game when the plan wasn’t working?

As recently as the Brighton game, it wasn’t the personnel that needed changing, it was the tactics and formation. But we don’t have the depth or variety to do this, which is something that we will also hopefully address this summer as it could be worth a fair few extra points potentially next season

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We wont be replacing any of our first 11, we will be bringing in some reinforcements to push the incumbents

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aim for 7th again with a push for 6th/5th.

Then again depends what happens in the summer.

superwolves

Reaction score
We wont be replacing any of our first 11, we will be bringing in some reinforcements to push the incumbents
It depends how the club see it would they be happy to finish 7th again and think this 11 can achieve that target with the odd addition here and there? Or would they be saying we want top 6 Nuno go and find us the players to make it possible. I think the board and Nuno are massively ambitious

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To win the league is probably going to require world class players in every position. That is not going to happen any time soon.

To challenge for top 3/4, we'd need a world class striker but those cost a fortune and at the very least we'd need to be able to offer CL football. Either that or we somehow get an amazing prospect who goes on to become world class, which is difficult.

I'd like a CB that's better with the ball than Bennett. Bennett is not at all bad defensively but in today's modern game almost everyone needs to be able to play with the ball, and Bennett is the weakest outfield player in that regard.

The main weakness of the squad in my opinion is a lack of depth and options for plan B. Traore is sort of an option but doesn't really fit with the change of formation since we're no longer using wingers. Cav/Costa simply aren't good enough and should be moved on.

We could really use a very talented attacking creative midfielder who can unlock defences and function as a 3rd striker.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are looking to close the gap of 41 points as a target for next season who do we think of our current 11 recent regular starters will be replaced to achieve this
Wrong hypothesis. We will be looking to close the gap on Utd and Arsenal, which is 9- 15 pts. I think it will be a long shot to think we can get past Chelsea and Spurs next season.

superwolves

Reaction score
Nuno has a tough job on his hands next season. To improve on this year would be an achievement he has got the maximum out of our current team. The expectation of fans and probably the board will increase which won't make it any easier

superwolves

Reaction score
Wrong hypothesis. We will be looking to close the gap on Utd and Arsenal, which is 9- 15 pts. I think it will be a long shot to think we can get past Chelsea and Spurs next season.
I was more highlighting the fact that we've played out our skins and are still 41 points behind the winners and it's hard to replace any of our current 11 starters

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheeky bid for David Silva? Will make way for his younger brother Bernardo next season...
Need a more forward thinking, dynamic midfielder than the 3 atm to unlock those Brighton type teams.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I was more highlighting the fact that we've played out our skins and are still 41 points behind the winners and it's hard to replace any of our current 11 starters
You thought you needed to highlight the fact we are along way behind the best Prem team ever? Yeah, no ****.

D

Deleted member 3751

If we can get up to 65-70 points next season we'll have had a phenomenal year that may work out as a top six finish. We shouldn't be looking any further than that in my opinion, and certainly shouldn't be worried about being able to catch teams getting nearly 100 points

Reaction score
I genuinely believe United in their turmoil, or Chelsea if they have to sell Hazard but can’t reinvest, could drop from the top 6. The issue is Everton and Leicester particularly will have similar designs on taking that place.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Simply make this year's starters next year's bench.
i.e. Coady has started loaded of games this season, if we brought in a player good enough to keep coady out the starting team we have taken a step forward.
I'm only using coady as an extreme example, this could be applied to any of the 'usual starting eleven'.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows top 10 is going to be just as difficult as this season. Teams will strengthen, some of our players will lose form or interest, some may be sold and those that we do buy, may not work out. Most clubs need to spend just to stay still and we're no different. Talk of top two is mental, irrational and ludicrous.

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Short term aim should be to break the top 6. That will be difficult enough especially if we are playing in Europe for any length of time next season. And also because the likes of Everton and Leicester have a lot of money to spend and we’re the two form teams towards the end of the season. Going to be extremely tough to even stand still.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give me 58pts and 7th again now that would be real progress to do it again. It will be harder. Leicester will no doubt spend millions as will Everton these sides will be right up there next year.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
It's NOT really a Top 6 anymore though is it ? - It's a Top 2 & a great big gap to the chasing 4 - of those 4 Man U will hopefully hang on to OGS so should not have a good season IMHO, Arsenal have been reported that they will only spend £40-£50 milion so will probably have a good turnover in their squad & therefore a rebuilding year, Spurs Poch has declared that he needs to rebuild big time, Levy will love spending big! & Chelsea have a two window transfer ban (crossing fingers it holds at the Arbitration Court) & their main players want to leave - iit gives us a great chance to get in amongst them & make it a Top 2 & chasing 5

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows top 10 is going to be just as difficult as this season. Teams will strengthen, some of our players will lose form or interest, some may be sold and those that we do buy, may not work out. Most clubs need to spend just to stay still and we're no different. Talk of top two is mental, irrational and ludicrous.
Nothing about the last 2 years has been rational.
It is not beyond the realms of possibility but it is incredibly unlikely.
I do think though top 4 is a realistic aim if we are knocked out of Europe early.
If not then top 10 will be a great achievement

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of the Premiership/Premier League, Liverpool are a disaster given how much they have spent throughout those three decades of failure.

Arsenal, Chelsea, United, City have at least won the bloody thing a few times each. Even Leicester and Blackburn managed it.

Liverpool should never be allowed in the Champions League because they have never been Champions. So even that trophy is hollow in the light of their magnificent achievements in the 70's and 80's.

So if we win qualify for the Champions League in the next few years without winning the Premier League we should forego our entry into it?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A new keeper that can play out.
2 new centre backs
2 attacking wing backs
An attacking mid
A 20 goal a season striker.
All of these will need to be world class and we'll probably need 12 months or so to bed them all in.

Back
Top Bottom