Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

3 hamstrings....more than a coincidence?

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
I just think that a lot of focus is put on exercise, which is part of fitness. Yet, rest and recovery is an important aspet of fitness also. Like I said previously. Over exertion. So they are training too hard, and then, next thing you know, a hamstring has been pulled in a game. A warm up for a game should only be 15 minutes. Just gentle exercise. Yet, to say the injuries are more than a coincidence. It's a collective factor. An athlete performs at his best, yet they are all following the same training routines. Yet, every player is different, so maybe the fitness training works for some players, yet other players, need more time to warm up. Or less time to warm up. Maybe this one size fits all approach to training players. Maybe looking at them as individuals, and seeing how we can get the best out of them. That's how you get results. Listen. I said this before. I will say this again.

It's not just the medical team. It's the physio's getting the players back from injury. I remember playing in a football game and pulled a hamstring, ages ago now. Because I warmed up too much. The top clubs focus on the individuals, and Wolves, from an outsiders perspective. When I watch the videos of them at Compton. It all looks very professional. They have their breakfast/brunch. They go work out, go to training, they then hit the gym. It's all standard stuff. Yet our training facilities, are one of the best in the Premier League.

Also, take into the factors of a players life outside of training, everyone has different lives. So, what players do in their personal life with, how they approach for fitness. Could be a contribution. Only so much can be done at Molineux and at Compton. When players go home. Some graft and really dig into the fitness side of things. I remember Dave Edwards was a grafter despite his injuries. He would literally just be super focused on food and nutrition. Also, attitude is a major factor. If you have a positive mindset, you are more likely to produce good results. Lee Naylor was a good example of this, always glass was half full. Yet you have to be realistic. I hope this comment clarifies things. I have been thinking about this for a while now. Best of wishes to the Wolves fan base. Always is one pack. Remember, it's a marathon not a sprint. Taking it easy. Rayan is a good example of a player who has a very cool relaxed attitude which helps him focus in games.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A point that I picked-up from the Rodri is knackered coverage and seemed applicable to us and our hamstring injuries;

Ben Dinnery, data analyst and founder of Premier Injuries, says this season is on course to see a 15% rise in injuries that cause a player to miss a match, with the number of days spent out injured set to rise by 30%.

More injuries from the ever-increasing schedules and especially applicable to us with a small squad and insufficient replacements of the right calibre.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A point that I picked-up from the Rodri is knackered coverage and seemed applicable to us and our hamstring injuries;

Ben Dinnery, data analyst and founder of Premier Injuries, says this season is on course to see a 15% rise in injuries that cause a player to miss a match, with the number of days spent out injured set to rise by 30%.

More injuries from the ever-increasing schedules and especially applicable to us with a small squad and insufficient replacements of the right calibre.

Interesting. Is it also the increased level of intensity as much as game time? Are players playing more games than they used to? The Premier League is 38 matches where it used to be 42, for example. More being Mr Logic than Mr Contrarian, the Championship has 46 matches so if increased matches causes more hamstring injuries, the Championship should consistently be recording higher rates. Maybe it is, I don't know.

Back in the 70's and 80's, teams would have 60+ match seasons. Things like League Cups, 2 legged European Competitions (3 of them) , Euros, World Cups were all going back then. Thinking of it, though, International and European tournaments were much smaller. Maybe it is the added burden of internationals that is increasing the player burden? These days, the vast majority of Premier League players are internationals for nations all over the globe. Definitely not the case back in the old days. Add in the Champions League that used to be a knock out.. (not sure how that could be our problem, though!)

I don't blame the Premier League for the increase in schedules. It's restrained itself. I would look more to having 32 teams in international tournaments, with the associated qualifying stages that never end. And tournaments like the ANC that are held every 2 years. Filling European club competitions with the top 4 of nations like Gibraltar, so that the qualifying starts before the previous season has finished doesn't help. Only the best players at very succesful clubs would be pushing a 50 or 60 match season in the old days. Now it's everywhere.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting. Is it also the increased level of intensity as much as game time? Are players playing more games than they used to? The Premier League is 38 matches where it used to be 42, for example. More being Mr Logic than Mr Contrarian, the Championship has 46 matches so if increased matches causes more hamstring injuries, the Championship should consistently be recording higher rates. Maybe it is, I don't know.

Back in the 70's and 80's, teams would have 60+ match seasons. Things like League Cups, 2 legged European Competitions (3 of them) , Euros, World Cups were all going back then. Thinking of it, though, International and European tournaments were much smaller. Maybe it is the added burden of internationals that is increasing the player burden? These days, the vast majority of Premier League players are internationals for nations all over the globe. Definitely not the case back in the old days. Add in the Champions League that used to be a knock out.. (not sure how that could be our problem, though!)

I don't blame the Premier League for the increase in schedules. It's restrained itself. I would look more to having 32 teams in international tournaments, with the associated qualifying stages that never end. And tournaments like the ANC that are held every 2 years. Filling European club competitions with the top 4 of nations like Gibraltar, so that the qualifying starts before the previous season has finished doesn't help. Only the best players at very succesful clubs would be pushing a 50 or 60 match season in the old days. Now it's everywhere.
The pace of the game is quicker today, and there are more games. Internationals, European competitions. The 5 sub rule should help, but if your squad is paper thin, like ours is, it increases the risk of injury.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got a mention on WM tonight, that it's more than a mere coincidence that our three front runners are all out with or coming back from hamstring injuries.

They read this forum.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just saw that Chiwome has a serious ankle injury. At least it's not his hamstring, was my first thought.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just saw that Chiwome has a serious ankle injury. At least it's not his hamstring, was my first thought.

I’d have thought a serious ankle injury is worse than doing his hammy.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the 70's and 80's, teams would have 60+ match seasons. Things like League Cups, 2 legged European Competitions (3 of them) , Euros, World Cups were all going back then. Thinking of it, though, International and European tournaments were much smaller. Maybe it is the added burden of internationals that is increasing the player burden?

There was also a lack of consistency, the games were slower, and the standard was a lot lot worse across world football. The Champions League has eliminated a lot of the meaningless games against very weak teams etc. The Europa league has eliminated the UEFA cup, which had more good teams, but also a lot more rubbish ones coming from part-time leagues. I think if you look at Villa's Euro Cup win they played a bunch of part timers, a few Soviet army teams, before Anderlecht and Bayern....nothing like the seeded and manipulated league competition we have now.

We pretty much had it sussed under Nuno when we could all tell almost to the minute how long certain players would last before their physical sensor stats said they needed to be substituted, and the players were very fit based on those personal programmes against their individual physiology.
As a lot of our new players were foreign we had no idea on their history, but for players like Matt Docherty it was a blatant change in physical fitness and his entire body shape changed within 2 years. Turned him from an also-ran into a Premier League player.

I think in Wolves case this season it is just down to the small squad, where we've had no choice but to push players beyond their safety limits out of desperation.
Rodri has a different problem, Man City play more games than Wolves because they're the best team in the world, and by the stats he is their most dependable player.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary's philosophy, before he leaned more into a counter attacking style later in the season, featured a good high press in the hope of what the cool kids call a turnover, high up the pitch. That means the front three are doing an great deal of running both in and out of possession. Probably a lot of short sprints involved. I wouldn't be surprised if the km covered compared to forwards from other teams is relatively high. Hence, the risk for muscular injuries, and the need for more options than GON currently has.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary's philosophy, before he leaned more into a counter attacking style later in the season, featured a good high press in the hope of what the cool kids call a turnover, high up the pitch. That means the front three are doing an great deal of running both in and out of possession. Probably a lot of short sprints involved. I wouldn't be surprised if the km covered compared to forwards from other teams is relatively high. Hence, the risk for muscular injuries, and the need for more options than GON currently has.
Agreed but there is an argument about cutting your cloth as a coach too.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed but there is an argument about cutting your cloth as a coach too.
I suspect the change of style to more rope-a-dope is Gary cutting his cloth to a degree, after seeing players drop like flies.
Counter attacking allows you to preserve more energy as a team.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect the change of style to more rope-a-dope is in part a result of him cutting his cloth after seeing players drop like flies.
Counter attacking allows you to preserve more energy as a team.
Exactly. Relearning what Nuno knew....

Back
Top Bottom