Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

2nd March 1974

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That iconic moment when Bill McGarry runs across the pitch and shakes hand with Wolves 2nd choice keeper, Gary Pierce.
It brought tears to my eyes then and still does now.

An interesting note (to me anyway) is that Pierce would later in his career play for "Chorley".

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great memories of that day, same year I got married. Golden wedding anniversary in August, reckon Wembley wins as better day!:):):)

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been to Wembley many times for England games, but never to see us. 1960 (aged11) Dad couldn't get a tkt for me!1974 working in the Gulf!1980 honeymoon, 1st marriage! 1988 birth of 2nd child! I got a tkt for the Watford semi but couldn't go because of ill health, so sold it on to a Wolves fan in Pattingham. I am now 75, will I ever see us win at Wembley before I pop me clogs? Here's hoping...
Let’s hope it’s this year mate.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been to Wembley many times for England games, but never to see us. 1960 (aged11) Dad couldn't get a tkt for me!1974 working in the Gulf!1980 honeymoon, 1st marriage! 1988 birth of 2nd child! I got a tkt for the Watford semi but couldn't go because of ill health, so sold it on to a Wolves fan in Pattingham. I am now 75, will I ever see us win at Wembley before I pop me clogs? Here's hoping...
Bloody hell BSK, some bad timing there. Mind you getting married in the football season was self inflicted! Hope you get to see us win there this year. For me its bloody FA cup finals that I've missed out on. Been to FA cup semis at Villa Park twice, Hillsbrough, Highbury and Wembley. After all that lot I'd just be happy with making the FA cup final as I've never been to one and I never would go to one unless Wolves were in it.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell BSK, some bad timing there. Mind you getting married in the football season was self inflicted! Hope you get to see us win there this year. For me its bloody FA cup finals that I've missed out on. Been to FA cup semis at Villa Park twice, Hillsbrough, Highbury and Wembley. After all that lot I'd just be happy with making the FA cup final as I've never been to one and I never would go to one unless Wolves were in it.
Yes been to all those too. Three of them we never really turned up for. Should have gone on to beat Spurs in extra time after they were on the floor conceding the penalty. And as for the other...

Reaction score
Yes been to all those too. Three of them we never really turned up for. Should have gone on to beat Spurs in extra time after they were on the floor conceding the penalty. And as for the other...
I went to all of those too as well as the semi-final at Maine Rd in 1973 when we lost to Leeds (to this day I can't believe King John's shot came back off the inside of the post!).

I agree about the Spurs game at Hillsborough. They were dead on their feet but, although Barnwell told the players that and told them to really go for it, we never did take advantage and seemed content to settle for the replay (maybe it was guilt over the dodgy last minute pen!).

2019 was the biggest missed opportunity however. Least said the better about Nuno's in-game management that day!!

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People forget it was a full 100.000 crowd, mostly standing with big crushes inside and outside the ground.

And there wasn't going to be extra time; it would have been a replay if JR hadn't got the winner on 85 minutes. Marsh had a cob on because he deflected Alan Sunderland's cross with his heel to Richards.

Have still got that LP somewhere, probably Hugh Johns on comms.
I was there and had no doubt that Wolves would win. Attendance given as 97,886.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there as a 14 year old and can testify that it was the greatest moment for a Wolves fan, since the Golden era.

The atmosphere was electric/spell-binding/magnificent, take your pick. The match a closely fought game between two
excellent sides, with ManCity's edge in attack nullified by superb defensive work. And nothing better than a late winner
by the crowd's favourite.

It was only the League Cup, but it arrived just in time for that team to still be considered at its peak, and a truly popular
team was able to be justly celebrated, with a trophy to their name.

The other great days were the final against Forest and the Playoff final, but for me Wembley 74 tops both of those.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would really really love to be at Molineux to applaud the 1974 players this weekend.
Many thanks to the Mixer who is kindly getting a programme for me.
Yeah, me too. Out of the country at present though.

Back
Top Bottom