Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup - July 20th-August 20th

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some rather sad news tonight: the Father of Spain’s Captain and goalscorer in Olga Carmona, died before the game and she was only told the news after the Final Whistle.

Much love goes to Olga and her family, on a day which her late Father will no doubt be looking down very proudly.

Very sad news. How difficult must it have been for he family to decide to withhold the terrible news until after the game. While Olga will rightly be proud of her World Cup achievement, she must be heartbroken at the loss of her Father.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen on SSN that Spain are on the verge of dominating the game for years to come with their U20’s and younger being brilliant. Not a massive shock considering the performance yesterday.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen on SSN that Spain are on the verge of dominating the game for years to come with their U20’s and younger being brilliant. Not a massive shock considering the performance yesterday.
There Under 17’s and Under 20’s won there World Cup’s last year, so they are about to become quite the force.

Lauren Hemp, Chloe Kelly, Ellie Roebuck, Alessia Russo and Georgia Stanway were all part of the 2018 Under 20’s Women’s Side who reached 3rd Place.

So the pathway can work and let’s hope it can continue.

Last edited:

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TV Viewing Figures reported as 13.23 Million on Average.

Peak Audience was 14.7 Million for the Final minutes and online streams not yet confirmed, but the Average audience number beats the 11 Million for the EURO 2022 Final.

For a Sunday morning, that is mighty.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad news. How difficult must it have been for he family to decide to withhold the terrible news until after the game. While Olga will rightly be proud of her World Cup achievement, she must be heartbroken at the loss of her Father.
Maybe it should have been her decision.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their men's teams have always been superbly well coached and technically gifted. It's unsurprising that the women's set up is looking much the same now they are getting similar coaching

Last edited:
Reactions: Ned

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sarina Weigman wins the UEFA Women’s Coach of the Year and dedicates it to the World Champions Spain.

What a human being that England has in its service.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that's had a lot to do with England seemingly falling away. The shock of seeing how good Spain were seems to have left a big hangover...Bonmati's cleaned up on all the awards since and they hammered Switzerland 7-1 away last week, plus Barca have cruised through the Champions League qualis and some English clubs haven't even reached the knockout stages.

Last edited:

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a thing in the news over here about the rate of ACL's that was discussed before in the world cup.
In Aussie sport last season in women's AFL and Rugby League, there was an average of more than 1 ACL every round of matches, which is scarcely believable.

The theory seems to be that the very quick explosion in professionalism in all these sports has pushed women into playing at a much higher standard competitively than has ever existed before, so whereas they may have been playing sport from childhood, it was never at the same physical level as boys played and there was no pathway to make a career out of it.

Suddenly a lot of these girls at 16,17, 18 and 19 realised there was a chance, so upped their training to last 90 minutes on big pitches, but those years of developing core body strength and muscle stability just didn't happen. And then when they started playing at a top level, lots still had part-time jobs so were not full-time athletes, and they're dropping like flies under the physical expectations.

There's some guy who's deveoped a test where he can predict those girls most at risk of ACL by recording their movements and stability under physical tests, so he can give those most at risk recommendations

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For her performances Down Under and her contribution to winning a dramatic Finalissima in April, Mary Earps is shortlisted for BBC Sports Personality of the Year!

Would be fully deserved if she wins.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For her performances Down Under and her contribution to winning a dramatic Finalissima in April, Mary Earps is shortlisted for BBC Sports Personality of the Year!

Would be fully deserved if she wins.
Quite a weak shortlist so probably got an excellent chance .

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only one winner for me from that shortlist - KJT.
Second world title in a tough multi-disciplined event, after coming back from serious injury.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How on gods green earth havent either Leon Edwards or Tom Aspinall made the list????

Both world champions in a major sport and one that is one of the fastest growing sports in the world.

Also look at both their social media numbers for x, instagram or even video views on YouTube. They blow that short list out of the water.

Such a weak shortlist……

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Congratulations.

I didn’t realise SPOTY was still an actual thing!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Congratulations.

I didn’t realise SPOTY was still an actual thing!

Took me by surprise it was midweek so close to Christmas. As I swear it used to be shown on a weekend?

When did it get dialled down from being a massive show in an arena venue?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Yes, think she was a worthy winner. Not too sure about the wardrobe choice, but who am I to comment!
My wife came into the room when she was making her winner's speech and the camera was showing her from the waist up. She said, "My God, is she just wearing lingerie?!"

I should add, I love Mary Earps. She's such a character. A worthy winner.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Took me by surprise it was midweek so close to Christmas. As I swear it used to be shown on a weekend?

When did it get dialled down from being a massive show in an arena venue?
No idea, mate. A Tuesday night before Christmas kind of shows where it’s at nowadays. It will be a red button job before long.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea, mate. A Tuesday night before Christmas kind of shows where it’s at nowadays. It will be a red button job before long.

Was a sad day when they essentially killed question of sport with the changes that ultimately saw it axed in the end….

The bbc aren’t getting much right at the min with their sports coverage sadly

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More recognition announced tonight, as Mary Earps and Lauren Hemp are both awarded MBE’s and Millie Bright is awarded an OBE in the New Year Honours List.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At FIFA’s The Best Awards in London tonight:

- 7 Lionesses in Earps, Bronze, Greenwood, Walsh, Russo, James and Toone made the 2023 Women’s FIFPro World 11.

- Sarina Wiegman defended her Women’s Coach of the Year award.

- Mary Earps defended her Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year award.

No doubt our run to the Final was part of the reason and shows how outstanding the Lionesses are!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At FIFA’s The Best Awards in London tonight:

- 7 Lionesses in Earps, Bronze, Greenwood, Walsh, Russo, James and Toone made the 2023 Women’s FIFPro World 11.

How can they get 7 in the team when Spain utterly dismantled them, then won the competition, and haven't lost since when England have struggled?.
(edit: to answer my own question : between 1 August 2022 to 20 August 2023, the date of the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ final)

Also, amazing that Man City had 6 players in the World XI for men.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spain’s Aitana Bonmatí claims Women’s Player of the Year.

Fully deserved for a World Cup winner.

She's pretty much cleaned up every award and won every competition worth winning in the space of a year.
I'd never heard of her before the world cup final and had watched no Spain matches, but couldn't believe what i was watching.
Not seen a female player before who looked like she had the ball on a string (not seen that many men either).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom