Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup - July 20th-August 20th

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Including our second half display yesterday?
Should have added…since yesterday…

Seriously though, was awful. We completely fluffed our lines, coupled with non stop histrionics from the Spanish and appalling referee (kick the ball away no longer a card).

Not a great advert for the women’s game tbf.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Should have added…since yesterday…

Seriously though, was awful. We completely fluffed our lines, coupled with non stop histrionics from the Spanish and appalling referee (kick the ball away no longer a card).

Not a great advert for the women’s game tbf.

So the worst half of football seen in a 24 hour period, superb, and all before the afternoon games today, well done ladies!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missing Williamson, Mead and others from injuries and still reaching the Final, shows how much depth this side has.

All I say to any moaners: try getting to a World Cup Final or wining a European Championship, in anything before seriously critiquing as some of you seem to be.

These folks are European Champions. What are you? And knowing they have sold out the Nations League tie at Leicester City in a few days, says everything about much the nation loves this side.

Felicidades España on conquering the World.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better team won on the day. Effort was there but just out classed by the Spanish technical ability.

FUnny how similar to the equivalent mens teams it is. Spain outclassed an opponent with technical ability... yet could only win 1-0!

The moral of the tale: don't get your goalscorers from Spain.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spain were excellent. Had Bronze ambled back as she did in the goal build up in EPL she'd have got pelters.

It was Russo jogging back that caused the goal, she just let Carmona run straight past her when she could see Bronze was nowhere and the centre back had already moved across to cover that gap.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missing Williamson, Mead and others from injuries and still reaching the Final, shows how much depth this side has.
All I say to any moaners: try getting to a World Cup Final or wining a European Championship, in anything before seriously critiquing as some of you seem to be.

These folks are European Champions. What are you? And knowing they have sold out the Nations League tie at Leicester City in a few days, says everything about much the nation loves this side.

Hmm so nobody can criticise anything unless they’ve done it themselves? Not sure about that. It’s a football forum full of football fans, people will criticise, I think that’s fine.

Been a great couple of years for women’s football in England, long may it continue.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was Russo jogging back that caused the goal, she just let Carmona run straight past her when she could see Bronze was nowhere and the centre back had already moved across to cover that gap.
Our number 9 was supposed to cover our right back?

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No one here can have an opinion then by your logic
Ridiculous

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of those situations where a path through the tournament flatters to deceive. We weren't as strong as four years ago, or in the Euros, we had players missing, and I suspect we would have also come unstuck against France, Sweden and Holland as well if we'd had to play them. We were a level short of Spain, who proved themselves over the last few games after their early chastening against Japan.

Be interesting to see where we go from here.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your post was edited for the insult/name calling, not swearing.
Which I again apologise for.

Perhaps we should ALL think before we post, knowing of some of the posts stated, from the very moment I launched this thread before the action began.

This is 2023 folks and Women’s Football is only going to get bigger.

And for England: European Champions and World Cup Runners Up in less than 13 months, is one heck of a achievement, knowing they were banned from the Game until 1970.

Roll on the Women’s Nations League that begins next month and EURO 2025 in Switzerland!

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing display from the ladies, to be honest reaching the final with the injury hit squad was a great achievement, but having got to the final they didn’t really show up.

Lots of histrionics from the Spanish and the ref was poor I thought to let their niggling fouls go unpunished and un-carded

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well said. Some disrespectful comments on here about what they've achieved

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame the half time changes didn’t have the positive effect. Russo coming off was an absolute howler - she’s the one player who you would want any half chances to fall to, so taking her off at half time in the WC final was a really awful decision.

The manager deservedly gets the plaudits she gets but she bottled it by not starting Lauren James, as a result she threw her on at half time and then took the focal point off for her to work with.

Anyway, a great effort from the ladies throughout the tournament but they came up against a team who just knew exactly what they were doing. As soon as we went a goal down everything sped up and the attacks became panicked and forced - a little composure would have gone a long way.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ref was very poor I thought. Conned by the Spanish play acting into giving undeserved yellows and free kicks against England. And sorry but kicking the ball away is an automatic yellow. I think she bottled it because she knew the Spanish player was already on a yellow. Better team won, for sure. But very poor officiating.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bod101, I find that pretty poor that you are that **** scared of any sexism that you shut down the Sa or Earps thread. How about you tackle the culprits, if it happened, and allowed the praising of Earpes or slaying of Sa

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame the half time changes didn’t have the positive effect. Russo coming off was an absolute howler - she’s the one player who you would want any half chances to fall to, so taking her off at half time in the WC final was a really awful decision.

The manager deservedly gets the plaudits she gets but she bottled it by not starting Lauren James, as a result she threw her on at half time and then took the focal point off for her to work with.

Anyway, a great effort from the ladies throughout the tournament but they came up against a team who just knew exactly what they were doing. As soon as we went a goal down everything sped up and the attacks became panicked and forced - a little composure would have gone a long way.
Yes, although she has pretty much single-handedly taken England to a whole new level in the last few years, today really wasn't Wiegman's day. Toone has been awful in every game, except smacking one in the semi-final and really had to be replaced with James from the start or go off at the break. It was crazy to take Russo off as she was an essential feature of all the successes in holding the ball up (although not a patch yet on Ellen White at it) and leave Toone on to no effect.

I actually thought we had the much better first half and created 2-3 very presentable chances. The second half we never got into one decent position in the Spanish box. Unfortunately, Bronze have never had an ounce of positional discipline, but she came along in an era where the women's game wasn't technically good enough to expose that most times., but that the goal was really a crazy situation to allow to develop

The ultimate flaw at the highest level though is that our central midfield just isn't up to much. I don't know if the early injury put the fear into Walsh or what, but she and Stanway were extremely flimsy all tournament long. Walsh spent most games just prodding the ball backwards, aside from the odd amble forward and shot 40 foot off target. That pair just don't have the technical skill or the athletic power to control a match. In fact the whole England team lacks a fair amount of athleticism. The success was entirely built on the back line being a highly effective wall for so long and Russo and Hemp making something out of nothing long punts forward. The Spanish players were technically far superior (as expected), but (unexpectedly) also more assertive in battling for the ball.

I don't think the England players bottled anything today, but too many players just didn't get going on when the whistle blew and the coach had a muddled day. Against a well-organised, technically superior team that spelled curtains. Still, a great effort to battle so far through the tournament, which deserves huge credit, especially when you think of teams like Germany and France wilting in matches against opposition they really should have easily dispatched.

Last edited:

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some rather sad news tonight: the Father of Spain’s Captain and goalscorer in Olga Carmona, died before the game and she was only told the news after the Final Whistle.

Much love goes to Olga and her family, on a day which her late Father will no doubt be looking down very proudly.

Last edited:

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Condolences young lady.
Puts things firmly in perspective.
God bless and RIP Señor.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to back up that **** Bruno Fernandes, but if that is deemed a penalty, surely the United one against Spurs is a banker?!!!
I’m told VAR is only there to give decisions to Man U? Odd.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ultimate flaw at the highest level though is that our central midfield just isn't up to much. I don't know if the early injury put the fear into Walsh or what, but she and Stanway were extremely flimsy all tournament long. Walsh spent most games just prodding the ball backwards, aside from the odd amble forward and shot 40 foot off target. That pair just don't have the technical skill or the athletic power to control a match. In fact the whole England team lacks a fair amount of athleticism. The success was entirely built on the back line being a highly effective wall for so long and Russo and Hemp making something out of nothing long punts forward. The Spanish players were technically far superior (as expected), but (unexpectedly) also more assertive in battling for the ball.
My thoughts exactly. Pace and athleticism are the principal areas for improvement, particularly in midfield. It has been noticeable in this tournament how other nations have progressed in the last four years and it's reasonable to assume that they will continue to do so. If we stand still we'll be left behind.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some rather sad news tonight: the Father of Spain’s Captain and goalscorer in Olga Carmona, died before the game and she was only told the news after the Final Whistle.

Much love goes to Olga and her family, on a day which her late Father will no doubt be looking down very proudly.
Apparently he died on Friday after a long illness & her family flew out to Australia to watch the final but didn't tell her until after the game.

citrus_wolf

Reaction score

What the ****. Reading your words gave me that instant blood draining feeling, that actually affected me. She was so delighted and overjoyed earlier, biting her medal, now has to bury her Dad? Damn :confused:

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think both Sweden and England should brace for what can be Spanish domination in the longer perspective.
They won the WC despite the fact they have atleast six-seven players that won´t play in the national team under Vilda.
If Spain somehow sort this mess up..they will be significantly stronger(on paper at least)in a flash.
That is a scary thought considering they just won the World Championships with was somewhat of a second string of a team.
Paralluelo will be unstoppable the coming years,bar injury.

I am certain that this wasn´t the first and last international title Spain will win.
There is more to come for sure.

Back
Top Bottom