Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup - July 20th-August 20th

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First goal the Lionesses have conceded from Open Play all tournament.

We won’t like now but we’ll appreciate it in years to come.

Sublime finish.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still stand by the view that women’s football would be so much more credible if they sorted out the GK issue. Whether it’s men in goal or what, not quite sure what the answer is. The disparity between the quality of some of the outfield players as opposed to the keepers is mental.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That Guzman is superb, have some real young stars in that Columbia team

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Well in Lionesses! Knew it was a tough game, always a sign of a good team when you come through a scrap like that. Great finish by Russo and what a save Earps. Could be a cracker of a semi final.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think many will be working come 11am on Wednesday morning.

It has all the hallmarks of a classic, in a 3rd consecutive Semi-Final for the Lionesses.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still stand by the view that women’s football would be so much more credible if they sorted out the GK issue. Whether it’s men in goal or what, not quite sure what the answer is. The disparity between the quality of some of the outfield players as opposed to the keepers is mental.
The quality is improving significantly from one World Cup to the next. Some excellent goalkeeping performances in this tournament.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The quality is improving significantly from one World Cup to the next. Some excellent goalkeeping performances in this tournament.
Professionalism has absolutely transformed the women's game

Reminds me of when rugby union went professional and within a few years backs were the size of forwards of old. It makes a huge difference

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think this is the last tournament we'll see which retains amateurish elements of the game....and that probably goes back to the fact that some of these women never had a goalkeeping coach until a few years ago, or they may have been the worst outfield player so got stuck in goal, like a lot of male goalies used to be in school teams!
It was a struggle to even find a team to play in, let alone get specalist positions the support and coaching they required. I'm looking at all teams and they all have a few weak players in positions, including England and Australia...but they're getting through as a team which i guess is the point of a team competition.

The rate of progress is astonishing....if you look back on here to the thread called 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup there were blokes saying that the women's game was 100 years behind the men's game and it was full of derogatory comments from sexist old farts. These majorly seem to have disappeared as the evidence is that it's a pretty good spectacle now they've reached a decent level of football, and it will race forward now the money is being generated..

There's a video from one of the Aussie girls saying she never had a girls team to play in, and her first match watching the Matilda's was in a crowd of 300 people when she was 12.....just 9 years ago.
She got picked at 15 for full age internationals (Kerr was 14), and she's now playing at the best women's club team in the world at Lyon. That inspiration for other girls from a very large participation rate and the increased attention and remuneration they can now expect is going to drive standards much higher much faster.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also worth mentioning, prior to yesterday the last person to hit the net in a world cup quarter finals for Australia was.....Ellyse Perry.
She made her debut at 16 but in 2012 was given a club ultimatum to choose between cricket and football.
She struggled on for 3 more years by swapping clubs but ultimately was sacrificing important matches alternately and letting them both down. So she chose cricket and gave up football.
Even though she's enjoyed a stellar career and been the country's pin-up girl, I wonder if she was 10 years younger and had to make that decision again today whether she'd make a different choice?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Women keepers, at least for the top teams, are much better than they were but there is still more to do. The fact that they are much smaller than men but the goals are the same size will always be an issue though.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is the last tournament we'll see which retains amateurish elements of the game....and that probably goes back to the fact that some of these women never had a goalkeeping coach until a few years ago, or they may have been the worst outfield player so got stuck in goal, like a lot of male goalies used to be in school teams!
It was a struggle to even find a team to play in, let alone get specalist positions the support and coaching they required. I'm looking at all teams and they all have a few weak players in positions, including England and Australia...but they're getting through as a team which i guess is the point of a team competition.

The rate of progress is astonishing....if you look back on here to the thread called 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup there were blokes saying that the women's game was 100 years behind the men's game and it was full of derogatory comments from sexist old farts. These majorly seem to have disappeared as the evidence is that it's a pretty good spectacle now they've reached a decent level of football, and it will race forward now the money is being generated..

There's a video from one of the Aussie girls saying she never had a girls team to play in, and her first match watching the Matilda's was in a crowd of 300 people when she was 12.....just 9 years ago.
She got picked at 15 for full age internationals (Kerr was 14), and she's now playing at the best women's club team in the world at Lyon. That inspiration for other girls from a very large participation rate and the increased attention and remuneration they can now expect is going to drive standards much higher much faster.
It's a very good point on the huge strides in the women's game being measurable by the lack of mocking on this thread

A few names notable by their absence now

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Musovic has genuinely been excellent this tournament, as a counterpoint.

However, there's something to be said for mistakes and inconsistencies adding to the appeal. There are times when the men's game is so clinical and refined that it can be dull, and keeper errors (so long as they aren't your own) just livens it all up.

I find myself enjoying women's football more, at times, just because it isn't so sharp and 150mph. Not for everyone, I know, but the tension is incredible when you're properly invested and know anything could happen at any time.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And ability probably, your less quality players having to step up. Considering the French brought that keeper on just for the penalties thought she’d have saved a few.

She did! .... that save from Hunt was incredible.
Well done Matilda's, the buzz they are creating is the talk of the country.....
England looked improved from their Nigeria performance, should be a tight Semi-final, wouldn't surprise me if it goes to penalties again.
Think whoever wins from England and the Ozzie's will win the whole thing.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ellie Carpenter, the Matilda's right back ...... just come back from a serious ACL injury.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semi against Spain tomorrow.
Cannot for the life of me understand that Spain seems to be rather big favourites to win this one.
We have played Spain 11 times,they haven´t beaten us once.
Granted..most of these matches from years ago..but they way we played Japan(who did beat Spain 4-0)I deffo think we are more than capable of beating Spain.

They will have the ball..we will willingly comply here.Hit them on the counter.
I think our defence will be too strong for Spain.

I think we are heading for the final match,I really do.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Sweden is concerned..the big match is coming up.

I feel pretty confident we will find a way to beat Spain.

Come on me blue and yellow babbiesss!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No Simon Hooper in sight as well,so hopefully this will be decided on the pitch.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I´m as nervous as I was at Wembley pre Watford.
Deep breaths and lets gooo!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The expected matchpicture thus far.
We´ll find a way..

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goalless at HT.
As previously,we are quite happy to have absorbed the spanish pressure thus far.
I still think they will find it hard to score against us.
We certainly have one more gear..hopefully this is saved for second half.
We need to be a little more careful in passing and we need an ounce more speed when regaining the ball.
It will come second half..it must..:)
Confidence remains high.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Johanna Rytting Karneryd has huge space from time to time on the right hand side.
She is also fast enough to make it count given she is provided the right ball.
If we score,this might be the scenario that preeceds it.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Second half..this might be for all the marbles.

VI ÄR SVENSKA FANS ALLIHOPA.

Come on me babes!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spain 1-0..a bitter pill to swallow.
Ten minutes plus OT..small chance remains.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paralluelo a real injection for Spain unfortunately for us.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅÅLLLL!

REBECKA BLOMQVIST!

WHOOOOOAAA!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh well..it was fun while it lasted..all twenty seconds.

Huge of Sharjah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Despair... Joy... despair...and finally, more despair.

(Flea's morning so far - Unlucky mate)

Last edited:

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No more football for me for a couple of days.
It really is the hope that kills.
Congratulations Spain..:-(

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounded like one crazy ending this morning.

Means two debut finalists - the 9th and 10th nations to be in the Final in the 9th Women’s World Cup.

That is a good stat to shout about.

Going to be full of nerves tomorrow morning! A viewing at work will make it an interesting day.

Back
Top Bottom