Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

2018-19

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had about 90 games (all comps) from August 2018 where it felt like we'd truly arrived and everything that had felt like a distant dream was becoming reality

Best time to be a Wolves fan for anyone my age (mid 40s)

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there any another example of the insecurities of those in a club's hierarchy sacking the best manager the majority of that club's fanbase has ever experienced?

I suppose at Wolves, Cullis going in 1964, but even then we were in awful form at the time and I believe Cullis wasn't well enough to attend a lot of matches, but with Nuno we had just finished in our third best position for 40 years...

Portsmouth getting rid of Redknapp is the only example that immediately comes to mind, which must have been a real punch in the face to the Pompey fans at the time when you think of how he took them up and consolidated in the top flight.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota was **** and we were better off without him, remember?

Or so we were told by a few on here. Probably the idiots who boo him too.
At the time he wasn’t a regular though he was out of form

Put him in a team with better players of course he’s going to perform better

We replaced him with fabio silva dumbest decision ever

2018 the pinnacle

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the time he wasn’t a regular though he was out of form

Put him in a team with better players of course he’s going to perform better

We replaced him with fabio silva dumbest decision ever

2018 the pinnacle

He was still our best creative player. A mediocre 3 months was not reflective of what he contributed through the rest of his Wolves career.

We’ve never replaced him.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Near the end he looked awful. Something was wrong, imo.
My hunch is the same thing that happened to Lopetegui, only Lop ripped the lid off it and Nuno kept schtum. I can envisage Jeff calling Nuno into his office one day to inform him Fosun are turning the taps off and mandating a self-sustaining sell-to-buy model. That combined with the loss of the loyal Molineux crowd to Covid, and it's little wonder he was so haunted by the end. I also wonder if Nuno really wanted Fabio at that price tag, and that Jeff orchestrated the move against his wishes?

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Near the end he looked awful. Something was wrong, imo.

Yeah mate, covid and the lack of crowds.

He rightfully didn’t think football should even have been played during that period, neither did I.

It was soulless, utterly pointless. Nuno missed the fans and ****, don’t we miss him now.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah mate, covid and the lack of crowds.

He rightfully didn’t think football should even have been played during that period, neither did I.

It was soulless, utterly pointless. Nuno missed the fans and ****, don’t we miss him now.
I couldn’t believe it when Nuno’s leaving was confirmed. I presumed that he had enough credit with Wolves to start the next season.
Such a sad day to see him leave……..bloody awful.

T

TheConcourse

Genuinely breaks my heart.

Postecoglou said something a couple of weeks ago in an interview: there is no plan b, we get better at plan a.

Huge respect for that, and the nod towards the fine %’s that get you to the next stage.

Everyone at Wolves, Nuno included, would probably view the situation differently in hindsight.

We should have upgraded at CB. We should have brought a Nunes-type in alongside Neves. We should have improved on Traore.

We should have invested in a more robust recruitment process outside of Jorge.

2-4 changes could have established us with our very specific brand of football for a decade, and it’s only now we realise the true cost of the failure of that decision.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Is there any another example of the insecurities of those in a club's hierarchy sacking the best manager the majority of that club's fanbase has ever experienced?

I suppose at Wolves, Cullis going in 1964, but even then we were in awful form at the time and I believe Cullis wasn't well enough to attend a lot of matches, but with Nuno we had just finished in our third best position for 40 years...

Portsmouth getting rid of Redknapp is the only example that immediately comes to mind, which must have been a real punch in the face to the Pompey fans at the time when you think of how he took them up and consolidated in the top flight.
Curbishley at Charlton springs to mind. He took them to 7th in the Prem 2003/04, then 11th and 13th the next two seasons. If I remember correctly the Charlton hierarchy thought he had taken them as far as he could believing they could break into the European places with someone else .... and so began their downward spiral.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Genuinely breaks my heart.

Postecoglou said something a couple of weeks ago in an interview: there is no plan b, we get better at plan a.

Huge respect for that, and the nod towards the fine %’s that get you to the next stage.

Everyone at Wolves, Nuno included, would probably view the situation differently in hindsight.

We should have upgraded at CB. We should have brought a Nunes-type in alongside Neves. We should have improved on Traore.

We should have invested in a more robust recruitment process outside of Jorge.

2-4 changes could have established us with our very specific brand of football for a decade, and it’s only now we realise the true cost of the failure of that decision.
Well said sir

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just for anyone who thinks all the fans wanted to keep Nuno and just a bust up with Jeff made us lose the greatest manager of at least the last 40 years.

Thread 'Nuno out' Nuno out
Only 11% remember.

I, and many others, have questioned him but didn't want him to go.

Sad day for the club whether you liked him right now or not.

The above is a quote off that thread

11% wanted him gone in the poll so a massive majority didn’t want him gone

Funnily similar % to who did want O’Neill!!!

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Curbishley at Charlton springs to mind. He took them to 7th in the Prem 2003/04, then 11th and 13th the next two seasons. If I remember correctly the Charlton hierarchy thought he had taken them as far as he could believing they could break into the European places with someone else .... and so began their downward spiral.
I think he left of his own accord, expecting he would get a bigger club ready to snap him up. I remember his name being strongly pushed in the media for the Liverpool job as Houillier was on borrowed time.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Charlton, Curbishley.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he left of his own accord, expecting he would get a bigger club ready to snap him up. I remember his name being strongly pushed in the media for the Liverpool job as Houillier was on borrowed time.
Not so sure about that. I live in the Smoke and kept hearing about how he was holding them back..... the stuff about Nuno towards the end sounded very familiar.....

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i just had a look back at some old threads to work out who the ringleaders were :)
I think it was the best for both in the end

Covid disjointed everything we built and the fall out with Shi then leaving after signing 3 year deal. Broken promises by the owners.. Not the first time we have heard that one.

Great memories, but we move on and look back and hope one day he can return to the pack.

Back
Top Bottom