Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

1960 Cup Final

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been going through loads of football stuff from the attic (as I'm sure we have all done lately) and came across an issue of a magazine called Total Football from the late 90s. There was a supplement with it on Cup winners from 1872 onwards. Nice picture of Billy Wright on players shoulders from 1949. Under the 1960 final, the writer described it as "a poor game universally dubbed "The Dustbin Final" and still widely regarded as one of the worst Wembley occasions ever".

Have never heard anyone describe it like this before and watched the full game a few weeks ago and thought it was good. Anyone think that the writer was accurate?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been going through loads of football stuff from the attic (as I'm sure we have all done lately) and came across an issue of a magazine called Total Football from the late 90s. There was a supplement with it on Cup winners from 1872 onwards. Nice picture of Billy Wright on players shoulders from 1949. Under the 1960 final, the writer described it as "a poor game universally dubbed "The Dustbin Final" and still widely regarded as one of the worst Wembley occasions ever".

Have never heard anyone describe it like this before and watched the full game a few weeks ago and thought it was good. Anyone think that the writer was accurate?
Way before my time, but watched it with my dad a few years ago.
Very poor game, both sides obsessed with catching each other offside.

Last edited:
H

howlin wolf

It was dubbed the dustbin final owing to it being such a poor game, both sets of supporters threw rubbish onto the pitch , at half time. Quite a lot of programes were thrown towards the players tunnel. To be fair, it was quite a dire performance.

D

Deleted member 3518

Way before my time, but watched it with my dad a few years ago.
Very poor game, both sides obsessed with catching each other offside.
Was also exceptionally hot, which impacted on the game.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Well, I was three, sat in front of the telly to watch the final with my dad and uncle.
Have been told I played with my toys, not taking much notice of the match.
Wolves in an FA Cup final.. our last, and not realising what I was missing!

D

Deleted member 3518

Well, I was three, sat in front of the telly to watch the final with my dad and uncle.
Have been told I played with my toys, not taking much notice of the match.
Wolves in an FA Cup final.. our last, and not realising what I was missing!
Me too.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't be bad, we won the cup final 3 nil, yet played rubbish. I was six years old at the time, but can't remember the the game. I must also have been playing with my toys...

D

Deleted member 3518

Can't be bad, we won the cup final 3 nil, yet played rubbish. I was six years old at the time, but can't remember the the game. I must also have been playing with my toys...
Surely a certain ex-player from Wigan has told you all about it.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn't play rubbish. The Blackburn fans were ****ed off by their bad luck at losing a player through injury and threw orange peel and other rubbish on to the pitch surround. Hence the 'dustbin' tag. The Whelan injury effectively ended the contest quite early on so a lot of people were disappointed.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish that we'd had more rubbish results like that over the last forty years... Until the last three years they were very few and far between (the playoff final being a big exception).

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed it got to post 13 before anyone mentioned the leg.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just remembered that while watching this game a few weeks ago, the commentator said that Blackburn couldn't bring on a sub as they had used one in the previous game. Strange laws in those days. When the Premier starts back you will be able to substitute half of the outfield players.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cup final was a big social occasion in 1960 -my grandmother and my uncle and aunt came over to watch it -everyone was supporting Blackburn which put me in a right paddy (aged six ).

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just remembered that while watching this game a few weeks ago, the commentator said that Blackburn couldn't bring on a sub as they had used one in the previous game. Strange laws in those days. When the Premier starts back you will be able to substitute half of the outfield players.
It’s absolutely mental it took league football 80 odd years to think of using substitutes.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Substitutes were only introduced by the English FA in 1965.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A misty memory aged 7 remembering listening on the radio for this one. We didn't have a TV at the time. Dad had got hold of an old second hand one (seem to recall 'valves' being a problem back then) which proved useless and it wasn't until a couple of years later I can remember watching much TV at all. The 'wireless' was on all the time in our house. My uncle did have a TV that worked and even had a '625' set by 1964 when BBC2 started and the first Match of the Day was broadcast where I used to be allowed to watch it aged 11 'late' on Saturday night.

Posted on another thread mother was heavily pregnant with younger brother at the time and I went to see the cup 'coming home' as it were.

No idea what sort of game it was but we won and that'll do.

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
i was there. 11 years old, sat in the blackburn end.
brilliant game

wolfinexile

Reaction score
I was a regular in those days-aged about 15--but did not have a season ticket and missed out on the draw for tickets. My friend Reg Smith and his dad both got lucky and remember that he claimed that in labelling it a poor game, Kenneth Wolstenholm, the commentator and big Spurs fan, omitted to mention how hot it was. According to Wikipedia, this is no true as he called it the "white shirt' final because fans took off their jackets in the intense heat and watched in shirt sleeves. Nevertheless, watching on television, I remember that even I got bored by the dull play and the ease with which Wolves beat an inept Blackburn team, with and without 11 men. The semi final at the Hawthornes in which Wolves beat Villa, also of the second division, was a much more exciting game.

S

ShropshireLad

It didn’t get very good reports as a match the following day. The problems were that there were no subs when Whelan broke his own leg, Blackburn were no match for Wolves anyway, it was quite a physical game, it was a very hot day which affected the tempo and many spectators fainted as a result of the heat, Blackburn scored an own goal and both teams played the offside trap. It was great for us but for no-one else.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 15 at the time and watched it live on TV at home.
If I remember correctly we actually scored another 2 goals, that were judged to be offside.
Headline in the next days Express said:
Cup Of Sorrows And Boos.
Our players had to leave the pitch via the Blackburn Supporters end, and had all sorts of rubbish thrown at them.
Caption under a photo of this happening read: Wolves Pelted Out Of Wembley.
I STILL have copies of the paper.
Also still have a copy of the original, extended play vinyl recording of the game.
Commentated by Raymond Glendenning.
Fond memories!!
Wolves ONLY Wolves!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was a regular in those days-aged about 15--but did not have a season ticket and missed out on the draw for tickets. My friend Reg Smith and his dad both got lucky and remember that he claimed that in labelling it a poor game, Kenneth Wolstenholm, the commentator and big Spurs fan, omitted to mention how hot it was. According to Wikipedia, this is no true as he called it the "white shirt' final because fans took off their jackets in the intense heat and watched in shirt sleeves. Nevertheless, watching on television, I remember that even I got bored by the dull play and the ease with which Wolves beat an inept Blackburn team, with and without 11 men. The semi final at the Hawthornes in which Wolves beat Villa, also of the second division, was a much more exciting game.
'also of the second division'? Blackburn were in the 1st Division mate!

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
I was six and recall my Dad going, but of course I didn't remember the actual match so I got the DVD. The Commentator said how hot it was then forgot to allow for that with his remarks about the match. Football was a slower game as players were not as fit as today, but in one sense it was a faster game. There was no time wasting. Free-kicks, throw-ins, goal kicks and corners were taken straight away. There was more a lot more actual play in those days.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When did singing really start at matches?

It seems like a mid 60s thing but I really haven't a clue.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
as a member of the north bank choir this was started 64/65 while we were being relegated one of the songs most sung "we"ll support you evermore"

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 1958 I attended the Man U v Bolton final. Man U were my second team then. I was distraut when they lost.

I had a Ticket for the Wolves v Blackburn final but couldn't stand the possibility we might lose so I passed it on. Regretted it ever since.

wolfinexile

Reaction score
'also of the second division'? Blackburn were in the 1st Division mate!
Sorry, you are quite right. Rovers finished 17th but had some good players. I must have known at the time but got the wrong idea in my head over the years.Maybe because they were such rubbish in the final.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When did singing really start at matches?

It seems like a mid 60s thing but I really haven't a clue.
I think the chanting took off after the 1962 world cup, when the Brazil fans invented BRA-ZIL clap-clap-clap BRA-ZIL clap-clap-clap, ad infinitum. This was picked up by many English clubs and then big time in the World Cup in England in 66: ENG-LAND clap-clap-clap. As for singing, I don't remember it at club level before 64-65. Remember standing on the Holte End at Villa in the 1965 5th Round Cup tie singing 'Daisy, Daisy, give me you answer do' 'Knees up Mother Brown' in a large crowd of Wolves fans.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 15 at the time and watched it live on TV at home.
If I remember correctly we actually scored another 2 goals, that were judged to be offside.
Headline in the next days Express said:
Cup Of Sorrows And Boos.
Our players had to leave the pitch via the Blackburn Supporters end, and had all sorts of rubbish thrown at them.
Caption under a photo of this happening read: Wolves Pelted Out Of Wembley.
I STILL have copies of the paper.
Also still have a copy of the original, extended play vinyl recording of the game.
Commentated by Raymond Glendenning.
Fond memories!!
Wolves ONLY Wolves!

You do remember correctly. There were two Wolves goals disallowed. The reality is that Blackburn were totally outclassed on the day and some of the press and a certain Mr Whelan have done everything possible to decry what was a total victory for an outstanding side, built by an outstanding manager!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do remember correctly. There were two Wolves goals disallowed. The reality is that Blackburn were totally outclassed on the day and some of the press and a certain Mr Whelan have done everything possible to decry what was a total victory for an outstanding side, built by an outstanding manager!
Correctly, or otherwise, disallowed?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the chanting took off after the 1962 world cup, when the Brazil fans invented BRA-ZIL clap-clap-clap BRA-ZIL clap-clap-clap, ad infinitum. This was picked up by many English clubs and then big time in the World Cup in England in 66: ENG-LAND clap-clap-clap. As for singing, I don't remember it at club level before 64-65. Remember standing on the Holte End at Villa in the 1965 5th Round Cup tie singing 'Daisy, Daisy, give me you answer do' 'Knees up Mother Brown' in a large crowd of Wolves fans.
Thanks for that, really interesting. Been watching a lot of retro football lately and noticed at the 66 world cup final the other day that there was quite a bit of singing, which I'd never noticed before in that era.

The transitional period of the 60s must have been an interesting time to watch football through as crowds went from the flat cap wearing characters of the late 50s to the long haired hooligans of the early 70s.

Guess just another example of how much of a cultural and generation shift that decade was.

Back
Top Bottom