Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

17th - 13th- 10th - 7th. What do you expect for next year. What type of team are we ? Poll

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's quite surprising that we share the same view. I manage to be far less dramatic about it though.
Yes, you're just amazing.

In reality, it probably because you, and others, love exaggerating the negativity because it makes you feel superior as fans.

Someone says prices are too high = Do you want to get in for free?
Villa have some decent players = Villa are going to reach the Champions League.
Wolves need to sign some players to progress = We were in League One seven years ago

And so on.

So, you think I'm dramatic, I think exactly the same of you lot.

Also it relates to expectation. I'm not really delighted with the prospect of finishing 13th-15th for now and the foreseeable future (the latter is my opinion, maybe not yours).

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, you're just amazing.

In reality, it probably because you, and others, love exaggerating the negativity because it makes you feel superior as fans.

Someone says prices are too high = Do you want to get in for free?
Villa have some decent players = Villa are going to reach the Champions League.
Wolves need to sign some players to progress = We were in League One seven years ago

And so on.

So, you think I'm dramatic, I think exactly the same of you lot.

Also it relates to expectation. I'm not really delighted with the prospect of finishing 13th-15th for now and the foreseeable future (the latter is my opinion, maybe not yours).
Did you type all that to prove my point?

As for your last paragraph, if after our second PL season I was told we'd finish lower mid-table two years on the spin I'd have not been happy, however following last season, the changing of manager and hopefully a turnover of players, then lower mid-table is acceptable for me this coming season.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Judging by the poll so far the vast majority think we'll end bottom half. I do too. As few of us have big expectations it could turn out to be a good season.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Judging by the poll so far the vast majority think we'll end bottom half. I do too. As few of us have big expectations it could turn out to be a good season.
How do you work that out? The majority of 63% have us finishing 13th or better

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I do disagree totally and ignoring other teams improving we are worse , the defence playing a high line is a disaster waiting to happen with current personal just wait and see , I firmly believe unless we sign 2 / 3 first team ready players we will be in a relegation battle and expect Lage to be sacked around November time.
I fear that this may not be far from the truth.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm thinking a bit of a meh season but my predictions are always wrong! Europe here we come!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could do better than 10th. It’s not unrealistic.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With our current squad, it could be argued that we are further away from the top 6 than the first season we arrived in the Prem under Nuno when we recruited Jimi, Mouts , Jonny and Rui. The excitement and expectation was higher during that early season than it is now. Such is 'progress'!

R

reanswolf

It is really hard to assess, it really could go bellies up or it might be ok. I still hope we might buy a CM and a CD but increasingly concerned about this.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If our business in the transfer market is done then 13th seems about right.

Defensively we're brittle and slow, midfield no better than before, scoring options better with Raul but do Neves and Adama really want to be here? Add a new manager and a tricky set of fixtures to kickoff the season and you've got a recipe for 13th.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Apart from a few games last season, we showed no fight, struggled to score and defended woefully, yet still finished safely. If we get a decent season from traore, Raul, neves and Neto we should gain enough points again to be safe, coupled with a returning home crowd I think we will be ok.
12-15th

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely no bloody idea.

My gut feel is worse than last season, but that’s based on my belief we’ve not improved the squad enough and I’m skeptical about our unproven manager.

I posted on another thread we won’t really know until late September/ October what sort of season we’re in for. Although I do suspect we’ll be able to make a pretty solid guess after two games.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it also shows that there is also a minority who are too keen to paint our fans as being bad.
What appears to be criticism for the collective is often just a dig at an individual. The internet is not a good place to gauge opinion as a whole.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think its going to be a long hard season without an extra two or three quality new signings in the key areas.
I think we might just have enough to stay up, but its skin of our teeth time.

Why?
  • We are still carrying injuries to key players and we have no idea when, or how well they will come back
  • I have doubts Jonny will every be the same player
  • Once Neto is fit he is at risk of bids in the Jan window
  • We still may sell either Neves or Adama with little time to get replacements (almost certainly poorer quality)
  • We are still over dependant on Jiminez, the back-up strikers don't offer much - if the more open style ships more goals we are going to have to find something like an extra 15/20 as season - I just don't see us scoring enough
  • The problems with the midfield still (at the time of writing) have not been solved, we still lack that mobility/physicality
  • We have taken on Trincao and the Columbian lad and they are potentially good signings, but Trincao looks poor in pre-season and the other is injured and not meant to be a regular starter anyway
  • Sa is a downgrade on Patricio
  • Semedo is still a shocking defender with appalling positioning - I know we all have opinions about Semedo, but I just don't think is much cop as an actual defender (and he hardly makes any assists). But I accept he has improved, and may well prove me wrong.
  • Sell to buy - Ok, we might get £25m plus for Mir & Cutrone and a few of the other fringe players, but how is that going to fund three quality players we need?
  • I actually think the three promoted teams are stronger. Villa are redistributing money to Norwich. If they buy Cantwell its not out of the question Norwich could have got £70m from Villa - that has got to help them strengthen. Brentford have made a couple of very good signings.
I just think its going to be hard. We have a tough open run of games and I can see us not getting anything and starting the season with a big negative goal difference.

Leicester (A)
Spurs (H)
United (H)
Watford (A)
Brentford (H)
Southampton (A)

We will know how the season will pan out after those run of six games. If we don't get at least 8 points from those six games (3 at home and a promoted club away) I can tell you now we will be in trouble.

I don't expect anything from the first three, if we get beat at Watford and slip up at home against a competitive Brentford the writing is on the wall.

I have never been so convinced we will struggle, I think we have stood still at best, and we will not score enough goals.

I really do hope I am wrong, I will happily take the abuse if I am.
Interesting observations. We are currently transitioning from the team Nuno built (predominately defensive) to a team Bruno wants to build (predominantly attacking) with the team Nuno built.

Players have already commented how different it is. In pre-season, we have seen our previous propensity to score few goals continue, worrying defensive frailties but a more aggressive, attacking style. And players looking fitter and sharper. I think it will take time to get these players thinking and playing with an attacking mindset.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It is really hard to assess, it really could go bellies up or it might be ok. I still hope we might buy a CM and a CD but increasingly concerned about this.
I didn't realise there was any room for an increase in your concern about CM! ;)

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As things stand with our midfield and defence (along with a new manager) I will take 13th. If we make a few decent signings which improve the STARTING 11 then I'll start daring to dream of higher.

I'm not excited about the new season but also not fearing relegation.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As things stand with our midfield and defence (along with a new manager) I will take 13th. If we make a few decent signings which improve the STARTING 11 then I'll start daring to dream of higher.

That's where I stand.

We clearly have some very exciting footballers. If they perform to their potential (which was rare last season), we should pick up a fair few wins.

The issue is with just how brittle the defensive spine is. Unless we either:

A) address it with transfers

Or

B) Experience the lads we have there playing way above their levels from last season

Then we shall lose points accordingly

10-12 seems about right.

Reactions: Ned

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Iam excited about the new season, new manager,new ideas, going into the unknown with basically the same squad, i think we can get top half,.. just.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can make some relatively successful signings before the season starts, I'd forecast between 14th and 9th. If we don't, 17th to 14th is probably more realistic.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I often thought that after we had beaten Sheff Utd in the opening game last season they never really got going and just went down hill towards eventual relegation. I don't see such a dramatic result for us this season but a poor start could see us doing similar to Sheffield and never really recovering and struggling to end around 15th or so. I'm trying to be positive about the new season but it is really hard to find genuine signs that we can make the top 10.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last year we lost Doc, Jota and Raul. Raul is back, Semedo may kick on on place of Doc (i have my doubts) but we haven't replaced Jota. Until then I'll continue to be glass half empty. We need someone who's going to score 10-15 goals.

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
Done **** all really to improve the squad so will be about 13th .

Obvious to me that Lage is now just a Yes man and Fosun are just not investing . If not the case then we have had ample time to get players in so they gel in the squad . Usual bull**** will be trotted out hat X needs time to bed in or Y is only young . They sign these ****ing players so enough of the excuses now and Jeff and Fosun will be the ones I will be blaming when this season goes sour.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately i'm feeling pessimistic about this season.
I feel like I've seen it before, at wolves and at other clubs.
A manager perceived as defensive, replaced by a manager looking to be offensive, without bringing in the starting signings to make the change.
Until I see us bring in a couple of Top quick cb's to defend the larger gaps left when playing pressing football, I can see us having some heavy defeats and struggling, maybe with the manager becoming more defensive as the season progresses, which only damages a team's confidence even more.
We could finish as low as 13th

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So many variables this season due to new manager, new style, over reliance on Jimenez for goals, not many signings yet compared to other teams. Therefore could be anywhere from 7th-20th and so therefore median position probably the one to go for. Reckon 12-15th is your sweet spot.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately i'm feeling pessimistic about this season.
I feel like I've seen it before, at wolves and at other clubs.
A manager perceived as defensive, replaced by a manager looking to be offensive, without bringing in the starting signings to make the change.
Until I see us bring in a couple of Top quick cb's to defend the larger gaps left when playing pressing football, I can see us having some heavy defeats and struggling, maybe with the manager becoming more defensive as the season progresses, which only damages a team's confidence even more.
We could finish as low as 13th
I hope that we finish as high as 13th. Sadly l'm massively pessimistic. We have Nuno's team without Nuno and appear to be going to play tactics which don't suit the players. A few good signings may change things...

Back
Top Bottom